Author Topic: Filco/ ONI TKL Aluminum Case - Black (Tex)  (Read 132995 times)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Re: Filco/ ONI TKL Aluminum Case - Black (Tex)
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 16:34:23 »
Okay now, who is ready for a preorder on one of the new cases?:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php

Did they send you any pictures of what the new re-designed case looks like?

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 13:31:12 »
I got the new case! pics incoming

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 13:42:45 »
Went ahead and pre ordered a grey one, interested to see what the new design looks like, if it is extremely different.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 16:57:18 »

Would really love to see the pics.   Just need to know for sure that this is the one that MK.com will be getting.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:11:38 »
Entire album: http://imgur.com/a/PniO4

Also comes with a nice USB gold plated cable too. 

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:03:16 »
Entire album: http://imgur.com/a/PniO4

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Also comes with a nice USB gold plated cable too.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Doesn't look like they made case fit together any tighter.  The gap where the two halves of the case meet still looks about the same.

And if they where going to take away the mini usb imput in the back, why would they just leave a big square hole?  They didn't include a rubber grommet, or something to make that open hole look neater?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 19:10:52 »

Would really love to see the pics.   Just need to know for sure that this is the one that MK.com will be getting.

It is. We received a partial shipment and filled some orders already.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Butter

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 12:57:30 »

How is the MK Disco going to fit into this case? seeing the Disco have detachable cable. Is there hole in the case to for the usb breakout board?

Offline 00zeRO

• Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 13:41:00 »

How is the MK Disco going to fit into this case? seeing the Disco have detachable cable. Is there hole in the case to for the usb breakout board?

The MK Disco fits very well and you don't need the daughter board since the new cases come with a cable which plugs directly into the keyboard.  :thumb:

Offline Butter

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 14:22:49 »

The MK Disco fits very well and you don't need the daughter board since the new cases come with a cable which plugs directly into the keyboard.  :thumb:

So it will look like This?

Offline 00zeRO

• Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 15:03:47 »

Show Image

No. There have been changes to the channel inside the case, and that USB daughter board is gone. There is a through hole, and Tex provides you with a USB cable which can plug directly into the PCB.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 15:07:47 »

Show Image

No. There have been changes to the channel inside the case, and that USB daughter board is gone. There is a through hole, and Tex provides you with a USB cable which can plug directly into the PCB.
Really wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of the daughter board. That hole is a little unexpected.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline 00zeRO

• Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 15:30:26 »

Show Image

Really wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of the daughter board. That hole is a little unexpected.

Well, it makes sense from an RMA standpoint. Out of the last batch we received, we had 3 or 4 which had daughterboards that had problems from the word go...

Offline techmattr

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 15:38:02 »
Order Status: Pending

:'(

Where are the Orange cases!? My head is going to explode when I see one of these in orange.

Offline techmattr

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 09:25:34 »
Got my cases the other day. Still hoping to see that orange place holder go in stock  :blank:

Is there any elegant solution for securing a Phantom plate other than using some shims for foam? I thought about adding some stems with epoxy to screw the plate down but not sure how well that would hold long term.

Offline 00zeRO

• Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 10:42:00 »
Got my cases the other day. Still hoping to see that orange place holder go in stock  :blank:

Is there any elegant solution for securing a Phantom plate other than using some shims for foam? I thought about adding some stems with epoxy to screw the plate down but not sure how well that would hold long term.

Well,  we found  that once you crank the screws down on it it should  hold the plate in place

Offline techmattr

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 16:22:22 »

Well,  we found  that once you crank the screws down on it it should  hold the plate in place

Yeah I can see that the more I tighten the more stable it gets. I don't want to over-tighten those bolts though. A user on Reddit posted a build log using something like neoprene that helped stabilize the plate. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4dggdu/building_a_phantom_fixing_a_g803700/

axtran also mentioned a material called Sorbothane which might be what was actually used in that post. I might give something like this a try as it looks like it'd improve the overall feel anyway.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 17:20:37 »
Here it is, finally change the stock case for my 2012 Year of the Dragon Ducky. This keyboard is a bittersweet memory about a very nice person called Lin Taobao Agent. Once upon the time she was my go-to proxy then people had to be mean to her, all sort of nagging and Paypal charge-backs and she retired.

Be Warn: heavy pictures ahead.

Stock Case
More

Daughter board

Non-conductive tape
More

Some more non-conductive paper
More

Finally
More

Final result and leftovers
More

Because stock OEM caps are the best for MX Red
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 April 2016, 17:25:40 by Delirious »

Offline lunr

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 21:56:03 »
Here it is, finally change the stock case for my 2012 Year of the Dragon Ducky. This keyboard is a bittersweet memory about a very nice person called Lin Taobao Agent. Once upon the time she was my go-to proxy then people had to be mean to her, all sort of nagging and Paypal charge-backs and she retired.

Thank you for the pictures. I ended up hot gluing the daughter board for my v80 at the top just like yours. Didn't really like plugging the usb directly into the board.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 22:25:55 »

Thank you for the pictures. I ended up hot gluing the daughter board for my v80 at the top just like yours. Didn't really like plugging the usb directly into the board.

Nice, the hot glue obviously is not adhesive at all toward the aluminum, but it creates enough friction so when sandwiched between bottom case and PCB, the daughter board stays in place firmly. I even dabble a few hot glue spots on the top side.

Offline lunr

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 12:27:21 »

Nice, the hot glue obviously is not adhesive at all toward the aluminum, but it creates enough friction so when sandwiched between bottom case and PCB, the daughter board stays in place firmly. I even dabble a few hot glue spots on the top side.

actually it adhesive really well. i couldn't even pull it off. maybe its the glue i used or something.

i wonder if there is anything non conductive i can put between the keyboard pcb and the metal bottom? seems really loud when i type.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:38:10 »
actually it adhesive really well. i couldn't even pull it off. maybe its the glue i used or something.

i wonder if there is anything non conductive i can put between the keyboard pcb and the metal bottom? seems really loud when i type.

I actually embrace the loudness. With such a tight gap I think any shelf-liner would do the trick. 1 roll of shelf-liner from walmart/ikea could last you a good 30+ boards.

Offline Akamig

• It's A-ka-meegh, Not AKA Mig.
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 11:46:50 »

Yeah I can see that the more I tighten the more stable it gets. I don't want to over-tighten those bolts though. A user on Reddit posted a build log using something like neoprene that helped stabilize the plate. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4dggdu/building_a_phantom_fixing_a_g803700/

axtran also mentioned a material called Sorbothane which might be what was actually used in that post. I might give something like this a try as it looks like it'd improve the overall feel anyway.

Ah, for someone trying this, it was 3mm polyurethane foam sheet. thickness of sheet must be between 2.5mm~3mm,
if thinner than this, PCB will not fixed on case, and thicker than this, case won't shut.

http://www.amazon.com/Polyurethane-Open-Cell-Firmness-Adhesive-Thickness/dp/B003VYAXW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460392022&sr=8-1&keywords=urethane+sheet
I found sheet like this on amazon, but remember that size matters.
Not Aka"MLG 360 NO SCOPE GET REKT" either.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Akamig/

Offline Data

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 07:56:24 »

I'm just now discovering the Disco.   :eek:  You say it works with this case?  That's awesome.  I assume the Disco has a USB daughterboard... correct?

Offline axtran

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 09:04:27 »
If you're building a Phantom in one of these, just buy 70 Duro, 0.10" Sorbothane from Amazon. You won't regret how good it is. :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline 00zeRO

• Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 13:36:07 »

I'm just now discovering the Disco.   :eek:  You say it works with this case?  That's awesome.  I assume the Disco has a USB daughterboard... correct?

Yes, Disco has a daughterboard, but the newest batch of Tex cases don't have a place to really put one, so you may have to improvise.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 01:07:37 »
Any plans to restock the grey cases any time soon?