Author Topic: What would you recommend to replace a Roccat Kone Pure?  (Read 13869 times)

Offline oiman

What would you recommend to replace a Roccat Kone Pure?
« on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 22:20:33 »
Heya,

Lenght is quite important for me. The 115mm of the Kone Pure was perfect for my hand but I want to look for an alternative. The drivers aren't well supported on Win10 and I find it a bit annoying. It would be ideal to stay in the $80-$90 price tag too. Any recommendation?

Regards,

oiman

Offline Bucake

Re: What would you recommend to replace a Roccat Kone Pure?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 01:03:41 »
razer lancehead?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Auk

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 04:10:54 »
115mm of the Kone Pure

This is about the size range I prefer, I wish for something slightly smaller but I have had Pure (KPM.) I mostly like the Pure shape, except for the protrusion on the right side which interferes with my comfortable pinky placement.

imho Logitech quality has been heading in the wrong direction for several years, but even so, because of the size and current best sensors I will still suggest:
  • G303 - 115mm, but is has a somewhat narrow nose which can be a problem if you rest three fingers on the buttons and wheel. The backside is too fat to be a perfect finger tip grip style. Also, it appears to be discontinued so stock may be harder to find.
  • G Pro - 117mm, on the spec sheet it's narrower than G303, but the shape is so different it feels a wee bit too wide for my ideal, it's narrow enough to use, I just wish it was slightly smaller.

The Roccat wheel is better, so that will likely be a disappointing feature on the Logitech vs the one you're used to.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 July 2017, 04:21:01 by Auk »

Offline oiman

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 17:13:52 »
Thanks a lot for the replies! Small length mice looks like a very niche market hehe.

I don't know if I just want to deal with the bad Roccat Win10 drivers and customization app. Is the quality of the Razer comparable to the Roccat? I've had a Razer mouse a few years ago and the Roccat felt like a better product.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 17:29:38 »
I don't know if I just want to deal with the bad Roccat Win10 drivers and customization app.
Why would you? Settings are stored in the mouse's on-board memory. The only remotely practical thing that the software provides might be dynamic switching profiles. You can just setup the mouse and turn the software off or even uninstall it.

…and if you don't want to use the official drivers at all, there are open-source ones for GNU/Linux (which you may run in a VM).

Offline Auk

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 20:00:28 »
is the quality of the Razer comparable to the Roccat?

There's probably not a huge amount in it. Both brands have had their quality issues. I stopped using Razer only because they decided to stop putting memory on the devices, forcing you to install and run their apps all the time. Totally unacceptable for me, but I read on the product page for the Lancehead TE:

To give you absolute flexibility, the Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition is powered by Razer Synapse 3 (Beta)* so you can save your settings directly onto the mouse as well as to the cloud. This way, even if you don’t have access to Razer Synapse or the internet, you can instantly activate your favorite profiles wherever you are. *Coming soon.

According to some reviews on OCN it seems you still need to login to a Razer account to change settings :/ Also they say it feels slightly bigger in the hand than KPM or G Pro, so not probably not for me, but I'd say if that sounds right for you and you don't mind the Synapse shenanigans then give it a shot - shape and comfort is the #1 feature to look for in a mouse and as you noted, we're not exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to ≤115mm mice.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 July 2017, 20:15:27 by Auk »

Offline jackalopephoto

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 08:31:10 »
-- Ergodox --

It's very strange. The vast majority of people are "fingertip" mouse users, yet most mice are built for "palm" users. BTW don't believe me? Go to any office and look at how workers use their mice.

I have a Kone Pure and I was going to install the software on Win 10 because it occurred to me I may not have 500hz polling set by default in Windows 10. Or is that also a setting on the mouse? Anyone know?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 21:05:28 »
-- Ergodox --

It's very strange. The vast majority of people are "fingertip" mouse users, yet most mice are built for "palm" users. BTW don't believe me? Go to any office and look at how workers use their mice.

I have a Kone Pure and I was going to install the software on Win 10 because it occurred to me I may not have 500hz polling set by default in Windows 10. Or is that also a setting on the mouse? Anyone know?

well the mouse- Butt,  has to be made for palm, because there's no other shape it could be..

that doesn't necessarily mean it was meant for palm.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 21:15:40 »
Razer Synapse upsets me.

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline jackalopephoto

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:35:00 »
-- Ergodox --

well the mouse- Butt,  has to be made for palm, because there's no other shape it could be..

that doesn't necessarily mean it was meant for palm.

Most gaming mice have a high butt that forces your palm to rest on it. I just sold my Corsair mouse to my coworker because it's like that. I went back to using a Kone Pure because it's shallow and narrow enough for fingertips-- Just like most normal mice that come with computers

Offline bear95

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 00:19:12 »
By drivers are not well supported o you mean by chance the utility doesn't work in win 10? Have the same mouse and how I fixed it

"Add the Kone Pure Option.exe and the Kone Pure Monitor.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\ROCCAT\Kone Pure Mouse\ as excluded processes in Windows Defender. Also add the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ROCCAT\ as exception in excluded files and locations."

EDIT: original post july 06 RIP

Offline jackalopephoto

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 15:47:18 »
I use the Kone Pure software and it works fine in Win 10. I haven't tried Swarm