Author Topic: Dox KB, Build your own!  (Read 205046 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:29:17 »
Quote from: ishtob;461864
i couldnt get my hands on solidworks, so we prob would need his help to make the plate

Would you be able to get the needed measurements for DOX then?

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:42:40 »
yes i have a spare poker case

is that what we are to put the final product in?

i was hoping to do the acrylic thing like what lister has been working on, hehe, this is going to end up being a phantom Jr XD, i'll have to do this after finals, which is in 2 weeks

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:48:48 »
Well we need to know if the plate fits inside of a poker case though don't we? Since we all want plate mounted. And WASD is getting in those plate mounts for the stabilizers AND getting in cherry mx switches in the coming month if all goes according to plan.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #553 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:49:32 »
Quote from: ishtob;462520
yes i have a spare poker case

is that what we are to put the final product in?

i was hoping to do the acrylic thing like what lister has been working on, hehe, this is going to end up being a phantom Jr XD, i'll have to do this after finals, which is in 2 weeks
Well I have 2 poker cases lined up and plan to use a PLU case for the Phantom to keep costs down. I would love to do what lister is doing for a acrylic Phantom case but I couldnt come up with the extra money for the case.

Quote from: bloodygood;462527
Well we need to know if the plate fits inside of a poker case though don't we? Since we all want plate mounted. And WASD is getting in those plate mounts for the stabilizers AND getting in cherry mx switches in the coming month if all goes according to plan.

A plate should fit I dont see why it wouldnt.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #554 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:57:08 »
well if we end up going the acrylic stack case, we would need some way to mount the plate.... even with the poker case, are we just going to bolt it down with some spacer between the plate and the PCB or should we try to figure out a way to mount the plate

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #555 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:57:21 »
Because as was mentioned before, the plate adds width, and currently a Poker PCB goes to all edges. Unless we were planning on trimming edges of the current PCB so the plate will fit around it to the base of the case.

I suppose if you had the exact measurements inside the Poker + the exact measurements of the PCB you could do something like this fitted to the case so that you don't need to "mount" the plate, just make sure the holes are in the plate also so you can mount the screws to the poker case.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2011, 23:01:48 by bloodygood »
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #556 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 23:14:59 »
i was thinking of having a spacer at each screw to go between the plate and pcb to keep the spacing right and also add firmness to the plate

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #557 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 00:43:23 »
lister, can i get the DXF file for the plate if possible? i got autocad/autodesk to work on my mac... as long as pris okays it of course

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #558 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 01:21:55 »

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #559 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 23:07:47 »
shoot me... mac autocad is sooo unstable, i get a 3min window to work with the file every time I open it, and it will crash after a few modification -____- so i only got the basics so far, need to still add the hole for the teensy:

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #560 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 23:10:44 »
^ the above work too 3 hours

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #561 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 00:24:34 »
Try QCAD here: http://qcad.org/qcad_downloads.html

I use the Windows version.  There is a Mac version.  Trial is free, it stops every 15 minutes or so, but it gives you a chance to save first.  I use the trial version to design the Phantom case and it works very well.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #562 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 03:40:21 »
Looking good

I have changed and finalized my dox layout after getting a small change on the Phantom group buy will be posting it soon

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #563 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 11:05:06 »
I still kept my layout as what I posted a while back, I believe that is my final. Could I please get a revised PCB layout for it if that isn't any trouble?

My bottom left Fn key will be the Locking one, all others are normal keyswitches. Thank you very much in advance, I have been terribly sick this past week thus why I haven't been very active on here. I would say last night was the absolute worst I have felt since being sick when I was a kid.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #564 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 18:09:16 »
I'm also considering making going short like your layout bloody, but with the short right shift (I got really used to it now typing with my current dox for >3 weeks.

I finished the plate for mine, prob will be sending it to emachineshop to see how well they can do it, its like $45 a person + shipping if we we all order the same layout (for 3 plates)
or you can order 1 at a time for $87 each

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #565 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 18:46:30 »
I'm also getting this done during my study breaks:

its more a less a phantomJr... unfortunately there isnt much room left for the switch changing holes since Im still keeping hte LEDs in the layout.
lister, i'm wokring ont he modifier row and off-set caps still, so hold tight :)

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #566 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 18:48:32 »
for those of you wondering about the stability of having the large hole for the teensy, the teensy itself will act as that part of the plate, I've moved it slightly so the edge of the teensy pcb will be pressed against the C,V,B and space switches

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #567 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 19:38:26 »
It looks like you did something similar to what I had done to try to add the 15th key. Basically I had tried making one of the switches to replace the backspace part of the top row, and one part of the row below it. But I have to say I am not capable of handling the LEDs to add in there. I just don't know the traces well enough to avoid overlap.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #568 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 19:40:58 »
i made it so the right most key will be the BS, the left one will be in the Fn row above the "+=" key
so either way it will work whether a person wants 1 or 2 keys there, just need to mod the firmware accordingly

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #569 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 07:07:28 »
Here is my revised layout:

Default Layer

Layer 1

Layer 2

Template for WASD

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #570 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 09:18:19 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;464385
Here is my revised layout:
Default Layer
Show Image

You have a dedicated caps lock key on your default layer where the Ctrl key usually is? I am kind of surprised since I know personally I rarely use it which is why I don't have it on the default layer at all. But maybe that is just me, since I am used to only holding shift to type 3-4 cap letters when necessary. Based on your layout I thought you would want a second Fn key there so that you could one hand change your audio levels / media.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #571 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 09:20:40 »
his FN is next to the left shift, so he has that key free

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #572 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 09:25:14 »
Quote from: bloodygood;464432
You have a dedicated caps lock key on your default layer where the Ctrl key usually is? I am kind of surprised since I know personally I rarely use it which is why I don't have it on the default layer at all. But maybe that is just me, since I am used to only holding shift to type 3-4 cap letters when necessary. Based on your layout I thought you would want a second Fn key there so that you could one hand change your audio levels / media.
I dont use caps that often but I do often remap it to do things like press to talk in vent also I already have a Fn key on the left side.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #573 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:04:18 »
You can always throw in a random F13 or something in its spot, makes it more hotkey friendly

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #574 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:15:57 »
sio I'm looking at you guy's layout... we can do a universal plate if we use PCB mounted stabilizer and I can just set a long hole for the shifts kinda like the one they are doing on phantom for the non-orderable "7bit special shift" version of the plate

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #575 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:18:44 »
Quote from: ishtob;464473
You can always throw in a random F13 or something in its spot, makes it more hotkey friendly

I still kinda want it as Caps also though so no worries plus the layout is not only for me.

Quote from: ishtob;464484
sio I'm looking at you guy's layout... we can do a universal plate if we use PCB mounted stabilizer and I can just set a long hole for the shifts kinda like the one they are doing on phantom for the non-orderable "7bit special shift" version of the plate
i wouldnt mind that but I would prefer plate mounted stabilizers since they will be available.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #576 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:22:55 »
i personally would like to see all plate mounted stabs, but the geometry of the cutout makes it impossible to have a universal cutout to accommodate a universal cutout.... either that or we do individual plates for each of you guys, it will jsut cost about double to order those plates as a 1-2 ofs

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #577 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:25:21 »
i personally would like to see all plate mounted stabs, but the geometry of the cutout makes it impossible to have a universal cutout to accommodate a universal cutout.... either that or we do individual plates for each of you guys, it will just cost about 2x more for us to individually order a plate ($80 for 1 and about $60 ea for 2 vs $40 for 4) and we can even get it powder coat for about $10 more dollars each if we order 4 of the same one

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #578 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:32:02 »
actually... just thought of something... if I put all of our layout onto 1 CAD file and have it done as one submission, we might be able to have each of our own unique layouts  but pay a lower price..... i'll get it worked out.. i still need to work on those shift key placements you guys want

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #579 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:32:23 »
Quote from: ishtob;464489
i personally would like to see all plate mounted stabs, but the geometry of the cutout makes it impossible to have a universal cutout to accommodate a universal cutout.... either that or we do individual plates for each of you guys, it will just cost about 2x more for us to individually order a plate ($80 for 1 and about $60 ea for 2 vs $40 for 4) and we can even get it powder coat for about $10 more dollars each if we order 4 of the same one
I may be able to get them quick will have to check though.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #580 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:32:24 »
With all the varieties it would definitely be more likely we will either need individual plates or at least each to find someone else who wants one. Idea: find a friend who likes your layout, order one for both of you, sell it to him at cost.
Sorry about that profosist, hadn't noticed the Fn key next to shift. I am still darn tired from being sick, still didn't change my surprise to seeing a dedicated Caps Lock key. On the other hand, great place for a locking key perhaps?

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #581 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 10:36:03 »
Quote from: ishtob;464492
actually... just thought of something... if I put all of our layout onto 1 CAD file and have it done as one submission, we might be able to have each of our own unique layouts  but pay a lower price..... i'll get it worked out.. i still need to work on those shift key placements you guys want

Is mine exceptionally complex? I thought the only change from a standard 61 key for mine was the 2 keys instead of a backspace. But I am definitely looking forward to being able to build this new keyboard soon. I wonder if we will be able to have it ready before the new year. If WASD gets his parts in soon then that might just be a possibility.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #582 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 11:53:22 »
your just differs from mine in the right shift, where you only have 1 key. I'm trying to get a universal PCB done so you can do that and I still need to pull up my old poker pCB to measure out he right shift location

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #583 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 11:54:23 »
that then get the plate done... its just finals season and I only do like 30min of this a day during study breaks

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #584 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 12:21:10 »
Quote from: ishtob;464544
that then get the plate done... its just finals season and I only do like 30min of this a day during study breaks

It is always important to focus on studies and there isn't really a rush if the keyboards don't get done until later. I know I am still working on my studies also for finals coming up next week too. After that things should finally cool down a bit and then there should be more free time until Christmas season kicks into full gear.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #585 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 12:34:40 »
yea but i wont be home for xmas :P i'm going to see how much i can get done the 2 days between the end of finals and my xmas break

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #586 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 12:35:19 »
like how the pharmacy student is making keyboards?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #587 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 05:57:12 »
Im working on getting plates at the moment looks like its going to be much cheaper than the place ishtob was looking.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #588 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 10:32:22 »
where are you looking?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #589 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 11:31:45 »
Quote from: ishtob;467101
where are you looking?

Looking at getting them through the phantom group buy posssibly though still working on it.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #590 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 11:34:18 »
I feel that we should combine our efforts with them

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #591 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 12:03:44 »
Quote from: ishtob;467148
I feel that we should combine our efforts with them

I dont how much is worth combining as we are very small in number and will soon be able to get almost everything we need from WASD.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #592 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 06:58:42 »
I know that you have been busy ishtob but how are the pcb and plate designs comming along?

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #593 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 13:24:20 »
having some issues fitting some keys... I just dont have time at the moment to play around with it to find a solution

Offline Dox

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #594 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 15:45:14 »
Hey ishtob, have you considered using filled plane to simplify the design with the LEDs?
Here is what I plan on ordering to give my current DOXs some light and remove the internal wiring.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34605[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34604[/ATTACH]
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #595 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 16:13:17 »
aite, made some progress during study breaks on the dox... i got the offset caps and the modifier row done, problem at the moment is that I cant do a lon oval shape with the PCB software i'm doing, so all the offset modifiers would need to have the centerpost drilled by the user, good news is all LED should still work, even the caps (I setup a second LED spot there so that the LED would still be roughly centered. it also incorporates all the stuff you guys want except for 2 things:
- 7x space bar that the 1.5x modifiers row uses
- the ISO short shift that profosist requested

currently it will work with either plate mount or PCB mount, again holes would need to be drilled for the 1.5 modifier row

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #596 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 16:14:14 »
Quote from: Dox;468427
Hey ishtob, have you considered using filled plane to simplify the design with the LEDs?
Here is what I plan on ordering to give my current DOXs some light and remove the internal wiring.
(Attachment Link) 34605[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 34604[/ATTACH]

I have considered it.. but didnt know how to do it :P

plus i'm cheap trying to do it all in 2 layers to save cost

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #597 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 16:15:31 »
very nice job btw dox. that looks so much more professional than mine

Offline Dox

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #598 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 16:30:20 »
Thanks, fitting multiple layouts would probably create "islands" in the planes but it should be doable.
Try it, just click on the filled plane icon (under the rectangle) and it will give you a prompt to check the help file. It's easier than it looks! I started by wiring it all like you and then converted it in about 30min.
You could probably use smaller traces too to make it look less cluttered. I'm planning to use 0.01" traces on this one. Keeping all traces strait or at 45 degree angle helps with the look too.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #599 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 16:59:08 »
i'll give it a shot when finals are over :P

at the moment I've got Bini and prof both wanting a specific layout that isnt already implemented