Author Topic: Jailhouse blues (non-floaty, short throw, quiet blues)  (Read 76228 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
Re: Jailhouse blues (non-floaty, short throw, quiet blues)
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 21:45:39 »
How can I fasten the white slider in the moved up position (instead of: moved down position)? In an undo-able way, if possible ...

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 18:13:49 »
Here is my successful attempt, with photostory: http://imgur.com/a/2CWDc
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2015, 18:45:13 by Eszett »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 22:57:34 »
How can I fasten the white slider in the moved up position (instead of: moved down position)? In an undo-able way, if possible ...
Epoxy
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 02:27:33 »
Hi there, does anyone know if this mod can be applied to Aristotle stems? Just acquired a bunch and hoping that it can be made quiet

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 02:36:27 »
They use a similar two part slider so no reason it shouldn't work - give it a try and report your findings :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 02:55:41 »
They use a similar two part slider so no reason it shouldn't work - give it a try and report your findings :)

Thanks! Will do and post it once I'm successful

Offline jackyl

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 10:25:18 »

Thanks! Will do and post it once I'm successful

Any update on the Jailhouse Aristotles?

Offline dante

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 10:34:02 »
According to Zeal Jailhouse Artistotles should be impossible.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 07:42:34 »
It may be possible, but I don't have any or good enough pictures to know for sure. I'm not sure i see the point though, we know it works on Cherry MX Blues and clones out there and those are plentiful and still being made. No reason to go tearing apart vintage stuff that's no longer in production. Heck go buy a 2003 Black Widow off Ebay, you will do the world a favor by ridding it of a terrible keyboard and get some great Cherry Blue switches for cheap in the process.

That said, if Zeal wants to make a short throw Zealio (preferably with a slightly larger bump) I'm in for 200-400 switches.
And if you worry about interest... look at the views on this thread.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline dante

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 09:11:08 »
It may be possible, but I don't have any or good enough pictures to know for sure. I'm not sure i see the point though, we know it works on Cherry MX Blues and clones out there and those are plentiful and still being made. No reason to go tearing apart vintage stuff that's no longer in production. Heck go buy a 2003 Black Widow off Ebay, you will do the world a favor by ridding it of a terrible keyboard and get some great Cherry Blue switches for cheap in the process.

That said, if Zeal wants to make a short throw Zealio (preferably with a slightly larger bump) I'm in for 200-400 switches.
And if you worry about interest... look at the views on this thread.

I believe the interest in Aristotles is because they are reported to be much more tactile than standard blues and may theoretically give a bigger bump once JHB'ed.  Zeal said they won't work and I believe him since he sells these and would have something to gain if they did work.

There is a group called Input Club who are coming out with their own keyboards.  They have a guide to MX Blue's and their clones.  So far from reading the descriptions the Greetechs would probably be the first switch I would try to JHB with evangs spacers.

Yes I agree 1000% with Zeal coming out with a short throw Zealio.  I'd like to see a discrete switch that is MX keycap compatible yet feels like some of the best scissor switches ever made.  That means ultra short throw, damn near silent, negligible keycap wobble, and nice meaty tactile bump up on top immediately after pressing.

There were a number of Thinkpad/Toshiba/Dell laptops from yesteryear that had FANTASTIC scissor switches keyboards built into them.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 05:59:50 »
Looking at his pictures, which are better than the others I saw, I agree with his assessment in that the way we have done it thus far won't work.

I'm not however convinced that it can't be done at all, the question is how, how much effort, could the average person do it and how consistent they would be.  I'm tempted to buy a couple from him just to see

I had a Thinkpad with them, and an Apple, and there is also a couple Logitech keyboards with good scissors (had a couple of those too).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Harms

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 02:19:35 »
Hi everyone I'm planning on doing the mod myself as well.

I found an easy, consistent, and reliable way to do the mod if you do not have J-Spacers

This guide from an user on reddit is great.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5rf8dw/jailhouse_blues_w_orings_guide/

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 13:07:53 »
Very cool!  Thanks for linking.  Added to the compilation thread here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45992
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 09:36:45 »
Awesome! Thanks for helping me understand that keyboard mod! :thumb:

Offline kadvidim

• love linear switches, currently on a modded gk61
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 19:04:09 »
I don't mean to necropost, but for anyone reading this, dental bands are excellent for jailhouse blues as they are just the right size to wrap around the stem without hitting the housing, and have pretty consistently the right thickness. they're also very easy to install although i'd imagine the wire has a more solid keypress
gk61 with gateron optical browns modded to be linear. Will spend hours on budget keyboard mods, too broke to afford a ducky.