Author Topic: Soldering Iron for NOOBs  (Read 9820 times)

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Soldering Iron for NOOBs
« on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 15:28:11 »
Looking to buy a soldering station but don't wanna spend a sh ition on a iron. What do you guys think of the one below?
What type of solder should I use? This iron will be used on some keyboards.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1344889524&sr=1-1&keywords=weller+solder+station
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Re: Soldering Iron for NOOBs
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 15:29:38 »
Interested also...I have this super cheap one, and looking to upgrade http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062758#

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 15:48:25 »
Interested also...I have this super cheap one, and looking to upgrade http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062758#

LOL, I had that one a while ago ^_^

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 16:15:31 »
I've assembled a KMAC, an MXmini, working on 3 Phantoms and have done plenty of other stuff (including SMD work) with that iron (WLC-100).

The key is to get tips to suit your work.  I have an ST1 for keyboard work, an ST6 for SMD, and I use the stock tip for big ole wires and things.  I use .020 63/37 solder for everything since I'm too damned cheap to drop another ~$35 on thicker just to save a couple bucks.  I have yet to use up a spool, but I'm not soldering every day.  Definitely don't go over .020 for SMD.

Test Equipment Depot has the WLC100 for just under their $40 minimum purchase, and free ground shipping.  They carry all the tips at less than $3.

I use 63/37 leaded w/ rosin core, most people swear by Kester 44.  TED happens to carry it.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:00:54 »
I've been looking at a 50w weller but the 60w Hakko looks like it is more accurate. Lots of people on this board seem to love the Hakko and they are the same price. The weller setup looks way nicer though.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:02:40 »
Got a link for the hakko?

MOAR BARS

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:06:17 »
http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Soldering-Station-FX-888-65W/dp/B004M3U0VU

reminds me of Windows XP :P but it has stellar reviews on amazon and here on geekhack.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:11:17 »

reminds me of Windows XP :P but it has stellar reviews on amazon and here on geekhack.
That Hakko is lsited as 65W but the label says 70W. Anyways, what makes it better to justify a pricetag twice that of the Weller? The Weller even has a temp reading which I couldn't see on the Hakko.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:11:49 »
Lanx - good combo. You can get a few dollars off if you get the bundle listed on the Hakko listing on amazon

And yeah, the lack of digital readout is unimpressive but it is theoretically more accurate than the weller, so your location on the analog dial is probably pretty close.
Then again I don;t know if the weller's accuracy is being judged by the accuracy of the LED readout or the temp itself.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:16:01 »
I too am looking for one. I solder on a regular basis but usually just cables or replace some broken cap every now and then. I am, probably like many of you, thinking of upgrading to make assembly of customs easier. I have never made that many solder joints in the same project.

Offline nar

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:21:24 »
I got my Hakko as a gift, but from what I heard from people who know more about soldering than me is the Hakko is indeed faster at getting a temperature and better at keeping it steady, that and apparently the tip is lead-free solder ready (not sure exactly what that entails and if the weller tips aren't).

From my experience using both Wellers and Hakkos though, all I can confirm is the Hakkos are indeed faster at heating up. Not good enough at soldering to see any other difference.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:56:01 »
I need a new iron, as my cheap-o one is starting to completely fail me. What sort of life can I expect from the standard/replaceable weller/hakko tips? I don't want to be replacing them that often.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 18:35:55 »
That Hakko is lsited as 65W but the label says 70W.

65 watts of iron, 5watts of control electronics.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Lanx

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 19:19:08 »
hakko tips are like a 2bucks from ebay sellers, pretty sure these are 3rd party (i bought one worked fine). don't know how much real hakko tips are maybe 5-8bucks.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 19:32:52 »
don't bother with the cheapo helping hands. get a panavise and a swing-arm magnifier

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 20:49:54 »
I have to agree "Helping Hands" are effectively junk, but for under $10 they can serve a purpose. Panavise is awesome, or even a cheap-o knock off from Harbor Freight/ebay is great compared to Helping Hands. The HH items work much better if you mount it to a small piece of plywood, something like 20"x20" as a working surface. There's an ebay seller that mounts them to fireproof gypsum and has a bunch of extra 'goodies'.

I've gotten new real Hakko tips on ebay for uber-cheap. Don't let the higher price of retail Hakko tips scare you off.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 22:54:22 »
Cool, going to get the weller. I'm super cheap atm and its a decent iron for $40ish.  What about solder. Which is the best for keyboard key switches

MOAR BARS

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline nar

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 08:52:10 »
My first job i was a solder manufacturing peon.
Making life dependent items pacemakers and flight critical electronics-jets.
I always used Kester solder non lead and zx flux when i did that, ive adopted the use of kester items at home with wires, through hole (mx switches) and surface mount applications because
it leaves a perfect shiny and never dull solder mounds. then clean up with 100% Isopropyl Alcohol / cotton swab not grocery store they sell 70% or something like that
But thats just my experience with that particular solder... hope this helps some

Wait your non-lead solder is shiny? What solder is this exactly? I thought most if not all non-lead solder ends up dull?
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline deleet

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 00:29:05 »
WES51 checking in.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 02:06:17 »
I use a Weller WX1011 at work and a WES51at home (picture below). The WES51 is solid and can't go wrong for $86 shippped!

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 14:02:51 »
I bought my cheapo solder iron for €15 at the lidl (cheap supermarket), hasn't failed me yet :p

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 15:27:49 »
Ok I'm going to pull the trigger on a soldering station later today. What about THIS $20 soldering station? Looks identical to the WLC100 for less than half the price. If I'm just going to use this to build the the phantom KB or any other custom KB in the future, will this $20 one be sufficient?

Also I already have Rosin, but I think the strands are too thick. Right now I have RadioShack 60/40, 0.062diameter rosin, should I buy thinner ones? Can someone link to a recommended rosin and something better than this Helping Hands?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 17:31:29 »
Looks like? Dude, you must have been around technology long enough to know that you get what you pay for... weller is a tried and  trusted brand. do you really want to **** up your phantom board with a sub-par soldering station?

You could get it and see, but if it sucks you're going to have to shell out at least another $40 for the weller, by which time you're 3/4ths the way to 'the' weller. Might as well buy once rather than buy often.

Offline Trent

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 01:53:26 »
I bought this simple computer repair kit ages ago from thinkgeek: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/7048/?srp=1

When I bought it the cost was only $60, an earlier version.  It comes with a standard basic soldering iron along with every tool imaginable for any/all computer/geek work.  yet I still see people searching to find good soldering irons and I see the price and cringe.  Just use a basic one, I don't understand the obsession on finding the perfect one.  The basics were what all great men built with anyways.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 04:12:57 »
I recommend the hakko 888 i got mine for christmas i believe picked up for under 100$ and has been using it all the time and have build a few phantom boards flawlessly with it.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 14:14:11 »
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15342357470&ali_trackid=2:mm_14507416_2297358_8935934:1346440025_4k5_1573865333
I wonder if the 220v Chinese Hakko FX-888D model would work in Europe. We have 230v here in Hungary. I'm aware that I probably have to rewire the plug.
It is still a great deal, as normally the same 230V unit would cost over 200€ in the EU, and probably the only difference is the plug.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 15:25:53 »

And you admit that to people?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:37:03 »
I use .020 63/37 solder for everything since I'm too damned cheap to drop another ~$35 on thicker just to save a couple bucks. Definitely don't go over .020 for SMD.
Does rosin size matter for phantom build? Right now I have radioshack 0.062 60/40, is that too thick? Do I need to buy thinner rosin for this?

If I should buy a different one, any recommendations on rosin? I don't need 50 lbs of it, just enough to build phantom and maybe a tad extra.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:56:06 »
I use kester 44 63/37 .02" solder for MX switches and PCB work. Rosin is inside the solder. .062" is quite large solder, and it is likely you will push too much into the joint. 60/40 is not recommended for PCB work. Never buy overpriced shït from radioshack.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline RiGS

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:24:22 »

It is available in red, silver and black as well. Check Hakko's webpage.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Soldering Iron for NOOBs
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 18:25:37 »
I use .020 63/37 solder for everything since I'm too damned cheap to drop another ~$35 on thicker just to save a couple bucks. Definitely don't go over .020 for SMD.
Does rosin size matter for phantom build? Right now I have radioshack 0.062 60/40, is that too thick? Do I need to buy thinner rosin for this?

If I should buy a different one, any recommendations on rosin? I don't need 50 lbs of it, just enough to build phantom and maybe a tad extra.
im using .022 62/36/2 also from radioshack ask its the only local place that carries that sort of stuff.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Re: Soldering Iron for NOOBs
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 21:10:38 »
Ok I'm going to pull the trigger on a soldering station later today. What about THIS $20 soldering station? Looks identical to the WLC100 for less than half the price. If I'm just going to use this to build the the phantom KB or any other custom KB in the future, will this $20 one be sufficient?

Also I already have Rosin, but I think the strands are too thick. Right now I have RadioShack 60/40, 0.062diameter rosin, should I buy thinner ones? Can someone link to a recommended rosin and something better than this Helping Hands?

I personally use this solder station...it takes awhile to heat up but otherwise it gets the job done.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)