Author Topic: [GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)  (Read 122975 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 08:55:28 »
I think powder coating would look nice, but is a bit overkill for a plate. I usually give them a sanding with 80-grit sandpaper and about 3 light coats of regular Krylon in whatever color I want (usually satin black) and call it good. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 09:07:34 »
I personally love the brushed steel look and would hate to cover it up with anything short of anodizing.  And I love how the steel glimmers through with dark keycaps over it.  The stock black Filco plate, however, is a different story :) 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #302 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 09:46:10 »
I personally love the brushed steel look and would hate to cover it up with anything short of anodizing.  And I love how the steel glimmers through with dark keycaps over it.  The stock black Filco plate, however, is a different story :) 

:D

Somewhat ironic, from someone who wants to paint everything else. I LOL'd.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #303 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 09:47:33 »
I paint all the boring stuff!  Like black cases, which are like the modern beige (and beige is so rare, it's back to being cool again :D)...   Want a modern  tenkeyless?  What color is it?  Oh yes, 99% of them are black. 

I'm keeping my stock white Filco plate white.  I've slowly banished black from most of my electronics, with the exception of my monitors (black/white and black/silver).  And my aluminum mouse pad has some black on it :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 July 2013, 09:49:44 by Photoelectric »

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:06:44 »
I received my plate with no bend at all, thanks to WFD  ;D and the postman  :p

One question though, can I power coat the plate?  ;D

You can powder coat the plate as I've had it done to Beast's poker plate. I was going to have WFD's plate powder coated but I thought about it and felt it would be a waste especially since WFD had it brush finished. It looks great as it is :)

I've had some motorcycle parts powder-coated, and I recall that the coating is fairly thick.  Did you mask off the key switch openings, or is there enough clearance to fit the keys even after the coating is applied?

Could be the brand of coating the shop applied, too.  I was having wheels and a swing-arm coated, they may have laid it on pretty thick.

It was a from some place in South San Francisco that my friend had it done because they used the same shop for parts they needed for their house renovation (small trinkets and such). Since I got a Beast plate primarily for my friend, he was the one who dealt with the shop. I just saw the end result. He did mention filing down some areas that he believe could have problems whered he'd put switches but other than a few tight fits where the stabilizers were, it went well.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #305 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 11:35:30 »
Received mine on Monday in Canada. There were no scratches/blemishes and it was flat. I'm highly satisfied! Thanks again WFD. In total, desoldering and soldering the switches took me a whole afternoon, however it was well worth it!

I will post pictures tonight.

-Edit

Added higher quality crappy photos :).
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2013, 21:26:33 by Dreamre »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 20:35:35 »
Looks great, Dreamre. So glad these international ones aren't getting bent. So far, I think only 2 plates from the whole batch got bent.

Is that a detachable cable mod? Where did you get that end sticking out?

It was a from some place in South San Francisco that my friend had it done because they used the same shop for parts they needed for their house renovation (small trinkets and such). Since I got a Beast plate primarily for my friend, he was the one who dealt with the shop. I just saw the end result. He did mention filing down some areas that he believe could have problems whered he'd put switches but other than a few tight fits where the stabilizers were, it went well.

How much for the powder coating? I only asked about it once from a local shop, and added on too much cost to the plate.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 20:39:51 »
I think powder coating would look nice, but is a bit overkill for a plate. I usually give them a sanding with 80-grit sandpaper and about 3 light coats of regular Krylon in whatever color I want (usually satin black) and call it good. :)

I'm probably going to try powder coating this time, but I agree Krylon works great after a nice light sanding to allow the paint a good surface to adhere too. But we'll see how much I love the stainless :)

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #308 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 21:12:00 »
Looks great, Dreamre. So glad these international ones aren't getting bent. So far, I think only 2 plates from the whole batch got bent.

Is that a detachable cable mod? Where did you get that end sticking out?

How much for the powder coating? I only asked about it once from a local shop, and added on too much cost to the plate.

It was quite fast too -- I was very surprised!

It's actually a detachable cable mod by Paranoid here!

Here's a picture to the mod on my Filco MJ2 TKL. I sold that to get a Ninja.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 22:20:02 »
So DupliColor has a line of anodizing effect paints ("MetalCast"), and I'm in possession of 4 colors.  Apparently it can be sprayed on bare metal and should be fairly durable.  I've only sprayed them over silver paint until now, but I plan on sanding off the powder coating from one of the stock black Filco plates I have laying around (that should be a lot of fun :sarcasm:) and will try one of the colors.  Probably red.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:02:12 »

It was pricey for the plate; roughly $38.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:04:55 »
Meh... that's what I thought. That's why I didn't even bother asking tons of places. I know the process of powder coating is tedious, just like anodizing.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #312 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:42:27 »
Ok, I'm going to give this a try, for science!  Sanded down one of my unused Filco plates, and now trying to decide what color to go with... probably Red.

These give an anodizing effect, but as to how sturdy on bare metal... that it to be tested.  I may need to get their Adhesion Promoter to go underneath, as directed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:44:12 by Photoelectric »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:45:47 »
Ok, I'm going to give this a try, for science!  Sanded down one of my unused Filco plates, and now trying to decide what color to go with... probably Red.

Show Image

These give an anodizing effect, but as to how sturdy on bare metal... that it to be tested.  I may need to get their Adhesion Promoter to go underneath, as directed.

This should be interesting.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:19:39 »
The short answer is that those paints work.  I've used the Adhesion Promoter as specified, and it's only been a few hours, but the finish is sturdy enough to sand.  And it takes 7 days to fully dry (from the bottle description). 

It doesn't come out exactly nicely anodized, as it needs to be polished a whole lot after spraying (not by sanding but by rubbing with cutting / rubbing compounds to get rid of dark dullness).  Here is the result in bad kitchen lighting, and I expect it to get better.  It won't be uniform--looks a bit aged, with darker outlines by the holes.  But I kind of like the effect.

(looks more anodized in person).  Anyway, not a walk in the park as far as the process goes but potentially worth it if anyone is interested.  Some of the darkness is remnants of black powder coating that I couldn't quite get out (some of it was deep into rough parts of the steel, and in some light it was all sanded off, but in other, there were shadows left).
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:25:01 by Photoelectric »

Offline BliTzKiN

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:43:40 »
The short answer is that those paints work.  I've used the Adhesion Promoter as specified, and it's only been a few hours, but the finish is sturdy enough to sand.  And it takes 7 days to fully dry (from the bottle description). 

It doesn't come out exactly nicely anodized, as it needs to be polished a whole lot after spraying (not by sanding but by rubbing with cutting / rubbing compounds to get rid of dark dullness).  Here is the result in bad kitchen lighting, and I expect it to get better.  It won't be uniform--looks a bit aged, with darker outlines by the holes.  But I kind of like the effect.

Show Image

(looks more anodized in person).  Anyway, not a walk in the park as far as the process goes but potentially worth it if anyone is interested.  Some of the darkness is remnants of black powder coating that I couldn't quite get out (some of it was deep into rough parts of the steel, and in some light it was all sanded off, but in other, there were shadows left).

Holysmokes, that looks really good. What did you use to sand it down? it looks so even from the picture above, awesome job man!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:46:47 »
200-grit 3M sandpaper, used wet.  When it was all done, I cleaned the plate again and used some dry.  Mostly tried sanding horizontally to imitate a brushed effect, but of course it didn't come out as nicely. 

It looked a lot more even before it got painted.  That paint doesn't exactly spray in uniform layers... Hence a lot of buffing and polishing afterwards.  It's got noticeable variations in person.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:48:58 by Photoelectric »

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #317 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 11:16:44 »
Wow! That looks great! Once it has switches and caps on it I think it would be hard to spot imperfections.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #318 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 11:18:54 »
If only I had some use for it...  I'm still trying to figure out a future keyboard to use vintage Blacks on (that I have a bag of).  Not another Filco though!  But I was told stock Filco plates fit Phantom PCBs.  This was just a curiosity-inspired experiment.

Edit: adding photos taken in the daylight: the first one is normal daylight and the second with the sun shining onto the plate

You can see all the darker areas well here--those are from the uneven steel surface on the thinner parts, where sanding off the black powdercoating was tough, and I also feel like the underlying steel surface wasn't that smooth to start with--almost a bit porous.  The paint should look better on plates that are bare metal without having to sand anything off.  The finish seems sturdy enough and very smooth after polishing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 July 2013, 11:57:33 by Photoelectric »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #319 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 11:22:26 »
If only I had some use for it...  I'm still trying to figure out a future keyboard to use vintage Blacks on (that I have a bag of).  Not another Filco though!  But I was told stock Filco plates fit Phantom PCBs.  This was just a curiosity-inspired experiment.

Why not just get a phantom pcb and a phantom plate :P

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:16:22 »
Just as a quick update for anyone interested--this painting method seems to work well.  Now that it's been a few days, the finish is very hard, I'm trying to scratch it with my mail, and it's resisting very well ;)

Offline csimi

« Reply #321 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 09:22:33 »
Got my plates and PCB, nothing is bent. Thanks.

Offline javallet

« Reply #322 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 09:47:16 »
WhiteFireDragon, are you still taking orders or have any plates left? :) I would be interested in one if so!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #323 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 10:05:09 »
He's still on vacation, but he mentioned in another thread that he has more people that want the plates, than he has plates available. So he will have to figure out some fair way to sell the plates he has.

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #324 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 11:35:16 »
Obviously, we need to have battles of some sort. My suggestion is arena style. Two men enter, one man walks out. And he gets his plate.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #325 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:11:11 »
Obviously, we need to have battles of some sort. My suggestion is arena style. Two men enter, one man walks out. And he gets his plate.

Seems legit  :thumb:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #326 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:12:48 »
I was going to suggest rap battles too, but nobody wants this.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #327 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:15:20 »
Moose thinks that
GH isn't ready for more battlin'
Little does he know that
He's due for a paddlin'

My flows flow quicker than
a board with lubed Blacks
no stickerin'

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #328 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:24:36 »
Moose thinks that
GH isn't ready for more battlin'
Little does he know that
He's due for a paddlin'

My flows flow quicker than
a board with lubed Blacks
no stickerin'

t=2m28s

edit: just click the link. I've done this before, but I can't seem to get it to start a certain time when embedded...
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:36:05 by esoomenona »

Offline Rendom

« Reply #329 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 01:58:06 »
Have everyone received their plate? I am still waiting on mind for over 2 months now, I am losing so many things in the mail.
QFR - MX Blue

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 03:10:01 »
Have everyone received their plate? I am still waiting on mind for over 2 months now, I am losing so many things in the mail.

I received mine within a couple days after they were shipped. You may have to talk to your post office about these problems, as I believe it shouldn't take this long, even for international shipments... :(

Offline YongJK

« Reply #331 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 06:03:19 »
I am helping a person to switch plate.
His HPE casing is too tight to support this plate.
If I were to close the top with case,
it'd be like this.   :(

Keyboard: PLU ML87 Mx Blue

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 07:09:01 »
cant you guys shave the sides either with Dremel or grinder + metal wheel?
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #333 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 16:04:49 »

I received mine within a couple days after they were shipped. You may have to talk to your post office about these problems, as I believe it shouldn't take this long, even for international shipments... :(

If your plate was a "special" plate, not being ansi 125 or ansi 150, then it is most likely with Bavman who has yet to ship. In the phantom main thread, there is discussion about someone picking up the slack. Hopefully won't take too long from now.

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #334 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:09:20 »
What happened to WFD? It has already been almost 2-3 month, and I still haven't got my plate, he never responded to PM too.

Offline pasph

« Reply #335 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:13:56 »
What happened to WFD? It has already been almost 2-3 month, and I still haven't got my plate, he never responded to PM too.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48636.msg1058731
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #336 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 13:57:56 »
Is there anywhere else where we can get a similar plate? I'm looking for a plate for my QFR but this is the only thread that pops up... Anyone selling a spare? :)

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #337 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 14:29:53 »
Is there anywhere else where we can get a similar plate? I'm looking for a plate for my QFR but this is the only thread that pops up... Anyone selling a spare? :)
You can start a thread in the classified section about buying plate, but you need to have 60 post first.
If you can wait Beast may do another plate buy soon.  You can found more details here

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 17:51:06 »
I'm thinking of spray painting mine.
I'll look for the Dupli-color metal cast but if I cant find it I'll probably just use Krylon.
I dont think it will make the plate too think or anything.
Or I could just leave it be.
Anyone else have any input? Comments? Advice?

If I do paint it though,
Question is what to go with the Red LEDs on my Shine?
Red paint or Black?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2013, 17:54:48 by S2000Gan »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 17:58:36 »
I'm thinking of spray painting mine.
I'll look for the Dupli-color metal cast but if I cant find it I'll probably just use Krylon.
I dont think it will make the plate too think or anything.
Or I could just leave it be.
Anyone else have any input? Comments? Advice?

If I do paint it though,
Question is what to go with the Red LEDs on my Shine?
Red paint or Black?

You should be able to find all the painting advice you need in the following thread.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44191.0

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 18:30:06 »
Thanks for the info!
If anyone else knows of any keep it coming! :D

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 22:15:56 »
I missed this group by.

I want to mod my QFR but I don't want to desolder it multiple times.

If there is a 2nd round I'd get at least 3 ANSI 125 plates...
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #342 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 04:41:10 »
I missed this group by.

I want to mod my QFR but I don't want to desolder it multiple times.

If there is a 2nd round I'd get at least 3 ANSI 125 plates...

It's fine, it has been 3 months now and my plate still hasn't arrived yet, and WFD went 'busy'.  Good luck if you were to join one.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #343 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 12:09:00 »
Any chance for a second round from this?
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #344 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 04:58:08 »
I agree, I'm down for an awesome backplate :)
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline badboybry9000

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:33:27 »
I'm also hoping for a second round.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #346 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:35:57 »
:facepalm:

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #347 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 10:48:53 »
There was already a 2nd round in this very thread.  I don't think there will be a third round with the same person anyway.  Maybe someone else will eventually run another round.