Author Topic: [IC] Programmable drop-in G80-1800 PCB  (Read 31014 times)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
Re: [IC] QMK-powered G80-1800 PCB
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 16:53:41 »
STILL waiting for the EU prototypes to get here from the UK. I know they sent the package with their economy/slowest/cheapest service, but three weeks seems a little long to me. I'm hoping to receive them soon. As far as I'm aware everyone that isn't in the EU has received theirs, and those I've talked to seem to really enjoy being able to program their 1800  ;D

I've started working on "v2" of this project, incorporating more features like in-switch LEDs and a more efficient (size-wise) matrix. I'm thinking about adding RGB, but not sure if it'd be worth it just because I personally really don't care for it - if the demand is there, I can toss it on. The USB port location(s) are also being reworked to make it easier to integrate the PCB with a standard G80/1-1800 case. I have files ready to order a small Pro Micro-ish board to test with a handwire circuit first, then once I work out the kinks I'll get going on the legit board. I still plan to attempt a thicker-than-normal board (probably 2mm), but I'm concerned about stab mounting. I may have to ask some manufacturers about their cavitation abilities, because that'd be the best way to still be able to mount stabilizers.

I'm moving in a few weeks so progress may be a bit slow til after I'm settled. I've also recently switched over to Altium from KiCAD since my new job has some licenses available, so there's a little bit of a learning curve. So far the software has been super powerful and easy to get used to. Either way, I'm aiming to have the next round of these for gb/sale this summer. A super small run (like, 5) protos will probably be done first just for me to personally verify that everything works. Once that's done, I'll open the sale up for however many people would want. I'm aiming for a minimum of 25 of each variation (regular and thick) to make it viable on my end. Obviously the more the better, and I feel like there'd be a good demand for these.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 18:11:24 »
STILL waiting for the EU prototypes to get here from the UK. I know they sent the package with their economy/slowest/cheapest service, but three weeks seems a little long to me. I'm hoping to receive them soon. As far as I'm aware everyone that isn't in the EU has received theirs, and those I've talked to seem to really enjoy being able to program their 1800  ;D

I've started working on "v2" of this project, incorporating more features like in-switch LEDs and a more efficient (size-wise) matrix. I'm thinking about adding RGB, but not sure if it'd be worth it just because I personally really don't care for it - if the demand is there, I can toss it on. The USB port location(s) are also being reworked to make it easier to integrate the PCB with a standard G80/1-1800 case. I have files ready to order a small Pro Micro-ish board to test with a handwire circuit first, then once I work out the kinks I'll get going on the legit board. I still plan to attempt a thicker-than-normal board (probably 2mm), but I'm concerned about stab mounting. I may have to ask some manufacturers about their cavitation abilities, because that'd be the best way to still be able to mount stabilizers.

I'm moving in a few weeks so progress may be a bit slow til after I'm settled. I've also recently switched over to Altium from KiCAD since my new job has some licenses available, so there's a little bit of a learning curve. So far the software has been super powerful and easy to get used to. Either way, I'm aiming to have the next round of these for gb/sale this summer. A super small run (like, 5) protos will probably be done first just for me to personally verify that everything works. Once that's done, I'll open the sale up for however many people would want. I'm aiming for a minimum of 25 of each variation (regular and thick) to make it viable on my end. Obviously the more the better, and I feel like there'd be a good demand for these.

Do keep us updated on this, I can't wait to use my TX1800 with a non-Leeku PCB.

Am also interested in whatever you have cooking up for v2, but please do keep the USB location (at least keep the pads there as an available option for the USB port because it allows people to use it with Kustoms like the TX1800)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 21:46:54 »
Yeah there'll definitely still be a centered USB port.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 22:21:11 »
Update on the six seperate European orders - the original rejected-by-customs package has returned to the US and arrived at my parents' house today. My girlfriend is coming to visit this weekend and is going to pick it up on her way and bring it out to me. Barring any delays, I should have each one sent out individually by the end of next week with no cost to the customer.

Update on the "big buy"/V2 - I decided to focus on a simple replacement FC980M as my first project within Altium, I should be ordering protos for that next week. I plan to order my "test boards" for the decoder-assisted matrices alongside those, and once I have one of those built/tested/verified working I'll work on the next iteration of the G80-1800 boards. I've also considered using the AT90USB1286 like others have used on the 1800-layout PCBs, but I'm really trying to avoid using a ~$8 USD MCU on these. I'm pretty confident that the decoder + ATMEGA32U4 will be plenty good enough.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 April 2018, 22:23:44 by hineybush »

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 02:52:34 »
Update on the six seperate European orders - the original rejected-by-customs package has returned to the US and arrived at my parents' house today. My girlfriend is coming to visit this weekend and is going to pick it up on her way and bring it out to me. Barring any delays, I should have each one sent out individually by the end of next week with no cost to the customer.

Update on the "big buy"/V2 - I decided to focus on a simple replacement FC980M as my first project within Altium, I should be ordering protos for that next week. I plan to order my "test boards" for the decoder-assisted matrices alongside those, and once I have one of those built/tested/verified working I'll work on the next iteration of the G80-1800 boards. I've also considered using the AT90USB1286 like others have used on the 1800-layout PCBs, but I'm really trying to avoid using a ~$8 USD MCU on these. I'm pretty confident that the decoder + ATMEGA32U4 will be plenty good enough.

Thanks for the update and thanks for shipping them out again.

Offline punkpc

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 07:36:29 »
I decided to focus on a simple replacement FC980M as my first project within Altium, I should be ordering protos for that next week.

Super excited to hear someone is working on this. I would be very interested in it progress.  :thumb:

I am assuming this will be a full PCB because the chip is on the main PCB. Will you also be making a new plates to accommodate new layouts?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 11:51:21 »
I decided to focus on a simple replacement FC980M as my first project within Altium, I should be ordering protos for that next week.

Super excited to hear someone is working on this. I would be very interested in it progress.  :thumb:

I am assuming this will be a full PCB because the chip is on the main PCB. Will you also be making a new plates to accommodate new layouts?

The FC980M is a personal thing for now so I'll just be modding the existing plate. I'll have probably four extra PCBs from this project so I'd be willing to mod other people's plates too if they'd want to buy one.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 22:50:43 »
Haven’t followed this very closely, are the any leftover PCB’s, or the opportunity to order one soon?
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 17:25:02 »
Haven’t followed this very closely, are the any leftover PCB’s, or the opportunity to order one soon?

Currently there aren't - look at some of my other recent replies, I detailed my plans in them

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:28:24 »

Currently there aren't - look at some of my other recent replies, I detailed my plans in them
Ah yep, understood. Sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
Re: [IC] Programmable drop-in G80-1800 PCB
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 00:49:28 »
With the new job and being between paychecks and crap I didnt realize both car payment and rent were due this paycycle, so I wont be able to ship the remaining Euro PCBs until next week (25th). They'll go out that day. I apologize for yet another small delay.  :(

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 00:02:36 »
All Euro proto orders are packed, labeled and ready to drop off at the post office. Each buyer should have tracking info in their emails.

Now for the production version..

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 02:44:14 »
All Euro proto orders are packed, labeled and ready to drop off at the post office. Each buyer should have tracking info in their emails.

Now for the production version..

thaaaaaaaaaaaanks a bunch I got my tracking as I woke up this morning :)

Offline goldworms

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 06:07:58 »
Does GB have no plans? Can not buy 1800 PCB now? :confused:

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:54:24 »
Does GB have no plans? Can not buy 1800 PCB now? :confused:

I'll start work on the "real" production version soon.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 12:15:39 »
I scanned through the thread again but didn't see this asked already

using the PCB in a G80-1800 plastic case, just need to saw a little hole in the center of the bottom half of the case?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 12:26:20 »
I scanned through the thread again but didn't see this asked already

using the PCB in a G80-1800 plastic case, just need to saw a little hole in the center of the bottom half of the case?

You can if you want, yes. Otherwise you can solder the cable right to the PCB and route it out of the original hole in the case.

Offline .

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 06:53:05 »
Built mine last week with a G81-1800 case and cable, it's pretty great!

Full album here

I also ported QMK to it because I didn't want to use the GUI so I'll probably push that to QMK's github repo somewhere next week. Soldering everything was pretty easy but I'd have liked to use SMD diodes instead of through-hole ones.

Thank you very much Josh for this PCB! :D

Offline odd

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 20:09:51 »
I must own this. I have a spare Dolch case just waiting for a PCB, gimme gimme gimme  ;D

Offline Seb6656

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 09:51:15 »
Any idea on a time frame for GB?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 13:10:01 »
Gonna be prototyping using a newer controller (either an stm3203 or atmega32u4+decoder) to add some io. Once that's done I'll continue/finish work on this. I'm hoping to get the controller stuff done in the next 2-3 weeks.

Offline Seb6656

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 13:35:38 »
Awesome, Ive recently got a G80-1800 so ill be getting on this as soon as its available :D

Offline .

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 05:55:31 »
Gonna be prototyping using a newer controller (either an stm3203 or atmega32u4+decoder) to add some io. Once that's done I'll continue/finish work on this. I'm hoping to get the controller stuff done in the next 2-3 weeks.

I need the challenge of soldering that, lol

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 17:18:52 »
Interested to see how the 'production' version comes out.. as it seems that it was confirmed that it will with a g81 i will probably be looking to get at least one.

if given the choice between features and price, id go with cheaper controllers.. as for me the main appeal is being able to take an older board without a ton of use (a g81 my) and turning it into something that is pretty serviceable, with myself having no need for LEDs/much anything else beyond filling up the status lights that come standard on the 1800.
keyboards

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 12:34:56 »
Any updates on progress? :D

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 12:40:35 »
Not really atm, been busy with other projects. However I need to do my decoder prototyping first because I have soon-to-be three PCBs that will need the tech lol

Offline Jacob4341

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 20:24:09 »
Not really atm, been busy with other projects. However I need to do my decoder prototyping first because I have soon-to-be three PCBs that will need the tech lol

I'll be in for a pcb for sure!

Offline manzel

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 13:46:47 »
Just got my PCB (prototype rev2) in today. Where can I find the QMK source for that board?

Also, for soldering a connector to the board: Is the pitch 2.54 mm (JST XH) and are the pins in the same order as on the mini USB next to it?