Author Topic: Transcription / Data Entry Professionals: Do you use Linear Switches?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Hi hello,

I'm Bryan, a Southpaw 65% GB participant. I eagerly await it's arrival. After a recent departure from my beloved 62g Ergoclears, via a 62g Lubed Kailh Silvers gaming build, I've surprisingly been wooed by the linear experience. However, the minimal  actuation travel distance, decreased overall throw combined with the 62g spring, is far too light and I'm prone to errors.

So, with that in mind, I set out to find a perfect spring that will decrease the chance of errors while still allowing me to enjoy a beautiful linear typing experience. I've made posts regarding my concern, 65g or 68g in a lubed Gateron black switch. I just created 5 of each and have them side by side in a metal plate.

They both have merits, but again, I ask myself ---

Does any other mechanical keyboard enthusiast rely on linears for their data entry related work?

Are you more prone to errors after switching from a clicky or tactile switch?

Words of encouragement and advice welcome.

The fate of many insurance claims lie in the balance.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:24:32 by bmilcs »

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Transcription / Data Entry Professionals: Do you use Linear Switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:39:32 »
don't rely on your keyboard to keep you from making mistakes

62g linears are ++ for data entry though
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 19:50:14 »
don't rely on your keyboard to keep you from making mistakes

62g linears are ++ for data entry though

Here I was, relying on my keyboards for mental, physical and spiritual needs. I wish someone brought this to my attention sooner :P.

For seriousness though... switch & spring strength can make an immense impact on touch typing and your accuracy. Literally just grazing the surface of a Kailh Silver can lead to crazy amounts of errors. I've used backspace 2 dozen times on this post alone.  My tactile ergoclears is a different story. I did build it for gaming purposes and I can't fault it in the least for that.

And that is the sole experience I have with lubed linears... hence my concern.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 05:27:30 »
Cognition and motor skills are the limits to accuracy. The user interface (including hardware) may only expose it, as long as it's reliable.

Limit error-prone input (through automation) and work on the truly limiting factors, and a particular switch type shouldn't really matter.

Treat the cause, not symptoms.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:21:04 »
I don't do data entry per se, but I do write and run through manual test scripts sometimes that require entering setup data and I write a bunch of SQL database queries. I tried using my MX Red keyboard for several months because I didn't want to disturb my co-workers, but I found it to be miserable. I even use o-rings because the long travel distance combined with low weight and no tactility feels like trying to walk on ice covered in butter. The reduced travel distance helps a bit, but not enough.

I still like using linears for playing games though. Maybe I just don't like MX Reds for typing; perhaps a different linear switch would change my mind, but that's my experience so far.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Altis

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:51:17 »
I would consider using the stock MX Clear springs.

They have a rather steep force curve that makes them get heavy enough at actuation as to perhaps prevent accidental adjacent keypresses.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 00:03:01 »
Don't use shorter travel linear switches, I find those give me more typo, use a regular travel and slightly heavier switch.

Apparently a lot of people find Gateron Yellow to be their perfect switch, unfortunately I haven't get to try it yet but just keep hearing good things about it.  Gateron Yellow and Black has same actuation force but Yellow has a more linear increase in force and bottom out a bit lighter than Black.

OR oddly enough I find my accuracy was better when I was using Cherry MX Board 2.0 with its shallower keycaps (on MX Red).  But those keycaps only come with Cherry MX Board 2.0 and 3.0 so might be hard to try them out.

As much I love my linear switch I just find typing is never its strong suit.  Topre is best for typing but I guess that's not linear.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Riverman

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 13:28:08 »
I did a lot of data entry at my job and tried out a few mechanical keyboards there.  MX red switches were my least favorite.  I didn't like how they didn't provide any feedback, especially when I was entering things without looking at the screen much.  Browns were my preferred switch for data entry, and still are, even though I type out more emails than data entry now.  I had a Topre Type Heaven that was great for data entry, too, but the keys started to shine with all of the typing and that started to bug me.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 13:36:05 »
OP Here.

I agree w/ the MX Red talk. MX Reds are horrendous :P.

I'm honestly not a fan of any stock switch that I've tried, except for MX Clears. However, I definitely prefer Ergoclears to those :P

I'm hoping that the 65g or 68g in Gateron Blacks I decide on using will work... and I'm sure it will. If not, I can always order some more switches and rebuild it.