Author Topic: Komodo IDE?  (Read 489 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• Literally geekhack
  • * Curator
  • God mode active
Komodo IDE?
« on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 21:43:28 »
Anyone use Komodo IDE for coding? How do you like it? I am the IT Director for a growing charter school, and one of my computer lab teachers is requesting Komodo for use in his classroom. By way of background, we are a 100% Apple environment, with iMacs in the labs and student iPads in the classrooms. We have K-8th right now, but we add a grade each year until we have K-12. So next year, we will have 9th, and this teacher plans to start a curriculum for high school which includes learning coding in languages such as Python, Java, Ruby, etc. Would Komodo be a good place to start? Anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Komodo IDE?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 19:51:32 »
I tried it a while back but didn't like it, for reasons I cannot now recall.  I have a few specific requirements for an editor/IDE, and most modern apps don't fulfil them.  Or I'm just stuck in my ways.

At work we standardised on Eclipse (mainly for Java), although that's probably a bit too heavyweight for your needs.

Have you considered a simple text editor, along with the appropriate command line tools?

I do a lot of Python, and use vim for editing and command line tools for running.  I tried using Eclipse for Python (with the PyDev plugin), but it was just too heavy-weight for my needs).

SublimeText seems to be popular these days, is fairly light-weight, cross-platform etc.

Or one of the Atom/Electron/VSCode spinoffs?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jdcarpe

• Literally geekhack
  • * Curator
  • God mode active
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 08:25:31 »
Yeah, I think ActiveState are just fishing for institutions to add to its roster, and therefore are willing to give classroom licenses in exchange for testimonials. We are probably going to skip Komodo, although it does look pretty slick.

I agree with them using the text editor and command line tools. I think that's how the teacher is leaning, too, he just wanted to see if we were missing out on anything by not using an IDE. SublimeText is great, and I'm going to recommend it to him over the Mac's stock TextEditor application.

Thanks, rowdy!

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 08:51:29 »
+1 using sublime and cli.

Later on it's nice to at least give them a taste of an IDE though because that's how a lot of real-world development works right? Give them a crash course on those things. Maybe couple it with some other dev tools like git or something.

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 12:50:05 »
I'd suggest Sublime or VS Code. Each have great package managers to have syntax highlighting, linting, and intellisense for all popular languages. I would lean toward VS Code personally, as Microsoft has been putting a lot of effort into the editor over the past year. I use it for everything (except Visual Studio for .NET projects), and I think the students will catch on quick. I'm sure they'll like getting their own customizations and themes too. Also terminal/cmd is built right in to VS Code (Ctrl/Cmd + `) if that's a priority.

Offline davkol

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 16:05:56 »
All these fancy IDEs and semi-IDEs are just obfuscation and lock-in for kids learning the fundamentals.

For experimentation, REPL is priceless… unfortunately, even many interpreted languages often lack a shell that doesn't suck. That said, IPython/Jupyter is top-notch. The environment available with Racket is also decent, and I highly recommend Scheme/Racket for newcomers, if it's "politically" viable.

If there's someone pushing Java for object-oriented programming (I feel sorry for the kids, the brain damage…), BlueJ is commonly used in education.

Besides that, just preinstall a couple of editors that don't get in the way, along with something like Netbeans… or IntelliJ IDEs, if you can get licenses. The kids shouldn't be taught the environment, though, but principles instead, including principles of debugging, perhaps version control etc. with as vanilla tools as possible.

Offline _rubik

• Typing on: GH60 + 65G Zealios
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 16:27:47 »
I learned Java on BlueJay and can't recommend that. I later moved to Komodo after a HS teacher recommended it. It's fine when you have nothing else to compare it to.

I do think Sublime or Atom  + CLI would be better choices (assuming your machines have the resources for Atom). But if you're looking for an IDE where kids don't have to touch a cli, Komodo will get the job done.

That being said, CLI is a very important skill. Maybe this is a good chance to teach them the basics?

I've never worked with any of the JetBrains products, but I've heard amazing things about them from both beginners and vets. Maybe worth a look?

Offline davkol

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 03:31:41 »
I learned Java on BlueJay and can't recommend that.

BlueJ isn't for learning Java (and Java sucks for learning, because there's too much clutter), but for basics of object-oriented design (is-a, has-a etc.).

Offline _rubik

• Typing on: GH60 + 65G Zealios
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:07:54 »
I learned Java on BlueJay and can't recommend that.

BlueJ isn't for learning Java (and Java sucks for learning, because there's too much clutter), but for basics of object-oriented design (is-a, has-a etc.).

Well sadly I didn't have much of a choice. Fortunately, I have been riding the Emacs train for the past 3 years and see no sign of stopping.

As an old professor told me, "Pick your editor more carefully than you would your spouse... it'll probably be around longer."

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:46:52 »
If you require a full-blown IDE for a range of languages I would suggest checking out JetBrains' products. They're good if you can afford them. Otherwise, I would just use a code editor such as VSCode or Sublime Text with some additional external tools.
Current: Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | G81-3000
Coming up: Pearl 40% | G81-3000 MX Silent Black Handwire
IC/GB: GMK Strogg

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 21:49:03 »
Apologize this is ot but it is outstanding now they teach coding in grade school. Well, I imagine in upper middle class communities at least. I did not know this. I only do windows dev but ios has a stronghold on learning institutions.