Author Topic: First mechanical keyboard pick/DIy !!??  (Read 1331 times)

Offline DonnyD

First mechanical keyboard pick/DIy !!??
« on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 10:40:34 »
So I never used mechanical keyboard/switches, probably never even saw one IRL !! Only used chicklet ( laptop) and cheap rubber domes in schools.
My idea is not just buy from the store shelf, but to opt for higher quality. I like 60-75% keyboard size, minimal look (DSA profile is a plus from me !!). I quite like vortex line up (Core, Vibe, Race 3).
My decision ended up building it myself, as hobby and new area to discover. What is your advice on first MK ? What is the safest bet in terms of switches, considering that I always used chicklet/laptop keyboard ? Would it be linear or tactile ?
I like side profile DSA keycaps and they are closest to laptop keyboards, so I think my choice is decent.
Maybe share your first MK story, or even you also switched from laptops !!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: First mechanical keyboard pick/DIy !!??
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 11:56:09 »
Any advice will be personal opinion, the only way to know for sure what switches you like is to get your fingers on a board full of them (switch testers can give you an idea but it's not perfect as it's one finger at a time) so try and find a shop to try some - any experience will help.

There are basically four variables in switches - tactility, noise, travel length before and after actuation.  Which of these do you like in the chicklet board, and which makes you want a mech?

Personally my first mech had MX reds (light linears) and I hated them, too light so I kept bottoming out and hitting the key next door as well as the one I wanted.  Swapped all the alpha keys to clears which made it usable...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod