Author Topic: [IC] NovelPro - A New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys  (Read 97284 times)

Offline ccmpbll

Re: [IC] NovelPro - A New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 23:03:25 »
This set looks amazing and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Really really looking forward to some POM caps! Great job!

Offline Zev

« Reply #351 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 12:22:57 »

Nice! That'll help fill out a Planck a bit more.

Do you think a complete Planck kit will be offered in the future (including C raise/lower, D enter/shift, C esc, B tab, 2u space, etc)?

Really looking forward to trying these out, great work!

I need to figure out exactly how many keys need to be added for Ortho support. I think it could be a worth while kit add on, especially when I look at DSA Milkshake Ortho kits sold.

EDIT: Just saw the updated kit design, looks amazing!!! I will buy in for sure, regardless of colorway. The profile looks really neat and I am interested in seeing what POM feels like in a keyset (maybe paired with Cream switches and a POM plate...)

Give me some time to figure out how many keycaps are needed for Ortho.

This would be amazing. I love this profile and will make Ortho coverage work even with wonky keys, but better coverage you can work into the main kit or as a separate addon kit would be amazing!
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2019, 12:27:17 by Zev »

Offline OkKarma

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 14:42:38 »
I'd be in for an ortho kit. ;)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 18:00:29 »
From the side the profile looks a bit wonky 😖

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #354 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 18:58:04 »
From the side the profile looks a bit wonky 😖

NovelPro's profile (top) is very similar to SA's (bottom):

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 08:44:38 »
Would be keen to see physical ISO support in this set!

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #356 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 12:04:17 »
This set looks amazing and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Really really looking forward to some POM caps! Great job!

wait, where did you see POM?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 12:17:54 »

It will be doubleshot POM. :)

Update, manufacturer has confirmed the tooling design and just received the molds to start cutting into.

Offline PikaJoyce

« Reply #358 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 12:54:04 »

It will be doubleshot POM. :)

Update, manufacturer has confirmed the tooling design and just received the molds to start cutting into.
Great news! Super excited to see photos when that's done!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 15:02:34 »
Really excited to see this progressing. We need more key set options with flat bottom row. MT3 is one of my favorite profiles, but since /dev/tty designers have all moved away from the r5 flat bottom row for some reason. Bad news for those of use who space bar with the thumb the "proper" way.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #360 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 06:27:42 »
I am very curious to test proper POM keys, as this material density is even higher than PBT. Sound profile will be really good if keycap thickness is enough (1.4mm and more). Crossing fingers for ISO keys.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #361 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 15:09:13 »
ISO

Offline Tequila_Heineken

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 15:16:57 »
I would use a larger, monolinear tilde – like you see on GMK sets – instead of the contrasted one that's there, for consistency with the alphas.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #363 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 03:04:03 »
 :thumb: Fantastic ! I'll put these over NK Creams so i can have POM on POM haha..

Offline donkey

« Reply #364 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 03:29:27 »
How translucent will the proposed colorway be? While personally feel milky opaque white will look better but translucent white could be epic for RGB boards.

Offline jmg123

« Reply #365 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 04:17:48 »
ISO

Show Image

Is there going to be the  ‘@ key as well? Then all my uk ortho needs are covered 😃

Offline teh_pengers

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 16:23:41 »
Any updates on this project?

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 19:51:36 »
Any updates on this project?

What a throwback. I forgot this was a thing.

Offline AristideTorchia

« Reply #368 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 13:45:24 »
Oh my dear God... Are you still working on this? The cream keys with dark prints are the prettiest topre keys I've ever seen and exactly what I was looking for: super sleek, minimal and typewriter-like, with a gorgeous font.

Could you please drop us a line on whether this has any chance of coming out?

Thx

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #369 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 13:48:06 »
Oh my dear God... Are you still working on this? The cream keys with dark prints are the prettiest topre keys I've ever seen and exactly what I was looking for: super sleek, minimal and typewriter-like, with a gorgeous font.

Thx

Sorry for the lack of updates here. After our first manufacturer (here in the USA) burned us pretty bad, we have put this on the back burner. It is NOT dead, but we have delayed it to work on some other projects as of now.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #370 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 16:55:09 »

Thx

Sorry for the lack of updates here. After our first manufacturer (here in the USA) burned us pretty bad, we have put this on the back burner. It is NOT dead, but we have delayed it to work on some other projects as of now.

Will be watching from here on out with how this turns out! Liking the profile so far :)

Offline AristideTorchia

« Reply #371 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 11:53:24 »

Thx

Will be watching from here on out with how this turns out! Liking the profile so far :)

That's a massive bummer but I understand, of course. I hope this will come to fruition; the irony of topre is that they're by far the nicest to type on, with absolutely ugliest colour/font designs across the board of all MKs.

Would you be able to give even a a slightest time approximation of your plans in regards to those cream keys from your OP? Is it months or years we're talking about?

Best,
M

Offline AristideTorchia

Re: [IC] New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys
« Reply #372 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 12:02:49 »
I have been a little silent on this, but am still working away.

Here is a picture with some different prototypes.
Show Image

The first row is the latest prototype. The second row is the first. The third is dev tty. The last is topre hipro.

I have a few more tweaks to make the set, but it is coming along really nice. I am hoping to have a tkl keyboard proto by the end of June or so.

Pardon for confusion, the keys I'm referring to are here; third row, off-white cream with dark legends.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #373 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 13:43:23 »
Pardon for confusion, the keys I'm referring to are here; third row, off-white cream with dark legends.
This is MT3 profile, DEV/TTY set, not Topre.

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #374 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 20:01:35 »
My personal wish is something similar to mt3/hipro, but with the quality and smooth texture of abs doubleshot SP SA. Perhaps a slight bit lower than those mentioned profiles.

Offline AristideTorchia

« Reply #375 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 09:31:29 »

I see. Pardon the ignorance, perhaps I can learn something from this.

So an MT3 is a type of mount/stem as far as I understand and so won't fit a HHKB topre stem.
What does the DEV/TTY set stand for?

thanks for clarifying.

Offline AristideTorchia

« Reply #376 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 09:36:55 »
My personal wish is something similar to mt3/hipro, but with the quality and smooth texture of abs doubleshot SP SA. Perhaps a slight bit lower than those mentioned profiles.

That's very cool beigeandbrown, but that's nothing. Eggshell, with Romalian type... what do you think?

Offline NTN

• NTN@Viendi Studio
    • Viendi website
« Reply #377 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 09:42:42 »
Show Image

I have been working on this for a bit. It is a superelliptical step sculpture (SSS) profile, ala Microswitch & IBM Beam Spring. It is designed to accomodate triple shot abs legends at 1.6mm uniform thickness. The dish is 1mm deep. It uses a level row 4 which is roughly 7mm in height, and a 6-degree R3 which is slightly lower than cherry. R5 is .05mm higher than cherry. The level row is the lowest that I know of (DSA is 8mm) and can be used to make a uniform set as well. The step between rows is a consistent 15-degrees, which (IMO) is ideal.

I am still in the process of finishing the models. If you are interested in collaborating, I would be open to it.

I like this one, however i would change the last 2 rows, the difference in height (which is present on cherry) doesn't make any sense on current angles of modern keyboards imho.   

Show Image

IMO there does need to be a small difference in height, otherwise it becomes too similar to a uniform profile. Although this is very much a matter of personal preference.

One thing I would change is to make the height difference more consistent between rows. Currently there's a huge step down from R4 to R5, while there's pretty much no step between R0 and R1.

The diagram shows what I mean. Cherry profile does have a reasonably consistent step size between rows.

Show Image

I hope the OP can read this. Please please consider this. This is the reason why Cherry profile feels so much comfortable to type on and rarely make us mis-typing. Cherry profile had serious ergonomic study by engineers, so again, please consider this idea. Or this would be another shortended SA profile without decent research of ergonomic, 1 example is OSA.

Offline iaman

« Reply #378 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 09:53:38 »

I see. Pardon the ignorance, perhaps I can learn something from this.

So an MT3 is a type of mount/stem as far as I understand and so won't fit a HHKB topre stem.
What does the DEV/TTY set stand for?

thanks for clarifying.

/dev/tty is just the name of the set (matt30 has a pretty solid explanation for the set/name here). MT3 is a profile, like this or GMK or SA or whatever, and it is specifically a profile designed with stems to mount on MX-style switches (not Topre-style, unless they have sliders to provide the mounting for them). /dev/tty has been around for a few years and pops back up on Drop regularly; they own the MT3 profile so they're the only seller of the set.

Offline AristideTorchia

« Reply #379 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 10:09:11 »
Thanks for clarifying!

It's an absolute tragedy that no good-looking keys are made for topre.
I've searched wide across the web and topre keys available for purchase are simply unmatched in their ugliness and lack of refinement. They're abysmal.

I so wish someone would produce something as nice as the aforementioned MT3 DEV/TTY for a topre mount.

Offline supernova

• discord channel
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 11:16:49 »
I am interested!

通过我的 OnePlus 7 Pro 上的 Tapatalk发言

Offline Muchacho

« Reply #381 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 04:13:47 »

Thx

Can you please update the original post and specify this project is asleep ?

Offline teh_pengers

« Reply #382 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 14:33:00 »
Mike shared some more about Novelpro on Top Clack:
(starting ~2:20:27)