Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 157636 times)

Offline fouras

Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 12:52:05 »
Can you mark which keys are doubled? Right now i see only F and J keys scooped showed together with alphas and barred F and J (note the bar) keys showed on the bottom.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #451 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 12:57:05 »
Can you mark which keys are doubled? Right now i see only F and J keys scooped showed together with alphas and barred F and J (note the bar) keys showed on the bottom.
Show Image

Oops forgot to remove those hahaha. Another good catch.

Btw. i've noted Ivory mods are missing non stepped caps lock...
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 August 2018, 13:00:23 by T0mb3ry »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #452 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 13:07:47 »
Update

Boneyard alphas
 - Mockup has been fixed.

Ivory mods
 - Added missing R5 Fn key and non stepped caps lock keys.

Space keys
 - Added additional 1u spacebars for grid planck support.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #453 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:48:52 »
Show Image

Oops forgot to remove those hahaha. Another good catch.

Btw. i've noted Ivory mods are missing non stepped caps lock...

So the default F, J, and 5 are the same profile as the rest of the R3 alphas (not scooped), and there are also barred homing keycaps for these three?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #454 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 15:44:15 »
So the default F, J, and 5 are the same profile as the rest of the R3 alphas (not scooped), and there are also barred homing keycaps for these three?

Nope if you dont see a bar on a homing key its scooped.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #455 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 22:17:56 »

So you must use homing keycaps, the only choice is scooped or barred?
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 August 2018, 01:25:34 by dvorcol »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #456 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 04:58:26 »

So you must use homing keycaps, the only choice is scooped or barred?

No there is no must. Ofcourse you can make homing keys non scooped and without bars or nipples. Just like any other regular key. But i never offered such homing keys and i dont have plans to do so.

Anyway homing keys on my mockups are scooped per default if they dont show any visible bar. For the drop the kits will be rendered and scooped homing keys will be visible.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #457 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 08:33:55 »
Would it be possible to have legends on the mods of the Ergoplank kit, like Space Cadet for example ? It would be awesome !

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #458 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 09:59:01 »
Would it be possible to have legends on the mods of the Ergoplank kit, like Space Cadet for example ? It would be awesome !

Thats possible but in that case i will remove all the accent keys and convext keys (still they will be purchasable in space kit) from ergoplanck keys in order to keep the pricing low.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #459 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 13:50:15 »
I'm pretty new in this stuff. Just to be sure, are the accent keys of this set the 6 R2 2u keys with carbon motives ?

For me it's OK, I'm almost 100% sure to order a Ergoplanck kit anyway, but mods with legends will be better IMHO, even if I have to add a space kit to get the ultimate ergodox set.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 August 2018, 14:53:15 by Kawamashi »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #460 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 14:42:23 »
I'm pretty new in this domain. Just to be sure, are the accent keys of this set the 6 2u keys with carbon motives ?

For me it's OK, I'm almost 100% sure to order a Ergoplanck kit anyway, but mods with legends will be better IMHO, even if I have to add a space kit to get the ultimate ergodox set.

The 6 2u keys with Carbon motive (those key do display graphene plane) will stay. I will remove all the convex keys (r4c) from the kit. Ofc. for planck the 2u and two 1u spacebars in beige will stay too.

Anyway i am interested in using assembly instructions as key labels, so i will look into it ;)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #461 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 16:50:12 »
I'm pretty new in this domain. Just to be sure, are the accent keys of this set the 6 2u keys with carbon motives ?

The 6 2u keys with Carbon motive (those key do display graphene plane) will stay. I will remove all the convex keys (r4c) from the kit. Ofc. for planck the 2u and two 1u spacebars in beige will stay too.

Anyway i am interested in using assembly instructions as key labels, so i will look into it ;)

Nice! Can't wait.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #462 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 05:07:03 »
Update

Ergoplanck kit
 - The kit has been reworked from blank to assembly instruction like in GMK Space Cadet.

Novelkeys x T0mb3ry Deskmats
 - Deskmats has been reworked (especially gradients) in order to meet printing requirements. Following pictures are just snapshots of the print files which are saved in CMYK color mode.

Offline fn

« Reply #463 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 06:49:59 »
this looks awesome! I'm thinking of the following kits to fit out a Planck:
- Ergoplanck
- Xtra 4.0 - I want the arrows and the R4 1u modifier keys, (I prefer them to the 'assembly' style keys)
- Novelties
- Lambda kit

Just a few requests (in descending priority):
- could the ergoplanck get a quote key ," in the dark with orange text
- would R3 Esc's be possible for the Xtra 4.0s kit
- would R2 1u Tab be possible for the Xtra 4.0s kit
- could the Xtra 4.0s kit include R4 1u code/hyper/meta

Many thanks, looking to purchasing this  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #464 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 07:55:13 »

In my opinion the R3 1u escape keys and ("/') keys do belong to ergoplanck kit. Other 40% stagered layouts can not utilize those keys. Basically all the keys you suggested do belong into ergoplank kit. Precisely these keys are from plancks default layout.

The real purpose of those assembly instructions on modifiers is to act as any key and give a key a non keyboard related but geekyish/nerdish (in a positive way) label. So the modifiers dont have any layout basicaly and everyone is free to create the layout he/she/it wants. If i add the keys you request the real purpose of those assembly instructions mods is missed and it would make sense to change whole Ergoplanck kit to the default layouts of planck and ergodox...

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #465 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 08:43:16 »

Thank you, I've learnt something.

Update

Ergoplanck kit
 - The kit has been reworked from blank to assembly instruction like in GMK Space Cadet.

OMG

The deskmats look also great !

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #466 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 08:48:34 »
Tho i am open to default layouts for Ergodox and Planck. Thus i made a poll for it.
VOTE HERE FOR DEFAULT ERGOPLANCK LAYOUT

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #467 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 13:23:48 »
Your current design for ErgoPlanck layout has the bottom R4 rows of the Ergo and the Planck duplicated (i.e. they have the same exact 1u keys with the same legends).  You could instead produce one R4 row with assembly legends and another R4 row with standard default legends (Ctrl, Alt, Super, Code, Meta, etc.). That would be a start in allowing the kit to cover both kinds of users as well as those who don't mind mixing functional legends with "any key" legends.  I'm not sure how you might choose to handle R2 and R3 rows since the Ergo and Planck modifiers in those positions have different key widths. 

I'm not sure about other Planck users, but I have found that many base GMK kits could cover my Planck layout perfectly if only it had about 4-5 more 1u keys (i.e. an R4 1u Shift, an R2 1u Tab, and R3 1u escape, and maybe an R4 1u Enter or additional shift).  I have seen some base GMK kits that already have a 1u backspace for R1 and they all include a 1u Delete for R2.  But being a Planck user, I'm getting used to the idea that I should be ready to accept some keycap "vomit" when it comes to legends provided I can outfit a keyboard with the default colorway of the set.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #468 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 14:16:23 »
Your current design for ErgoPlanck layout has the bottom R4 rows of the Ergo and the Planck duplicated (i.e. they have the same exact 1u keys with the same legends).  You could instead produce one R4 row with assembly legends and another R4 row with standard default legends (Ctrl, Alt, Super, Code, Meta, etc.). That would be a start in allowing the kit to cover both kinds of users as well as those who don't mind mixing functional legends with "any key" legends.  I'm not sure how you might choose to handle R2 and R3 rows since the Ergo and Planck modifiers in those positions have different key widths. 

I'm not sure about other Planck users, but I have found that many base GMK kits could cover my Planck layout perfectly if only it had about 4-5 more 1u keys (i.e. an R4 1u Shift, an R2 1u Tab, and R3 1u escape, and maybe an R4 1u Enter or additional shift).  I have seen some base GMK kits that already have a 1u backspace for R1 and they all include a 1u Delete for R2.  But being a Planck user, I'm getting used to the idea that I should be ready to accept some keycap "vomit" when it comes to legends provided I can outfit a keyboard with the default colorway of the set.

Indeed the bottom row is duplicated. Thus good catch and good suggestion. I'll look into (tho not promise) making the planck bottom row with ctrl, alt, fn, etc. keys. Probably also worded arrows. For other rows its not possible. They need to be any key or strictly default layout. But the poll will show the direction.

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 August 2018, 14:19:24 by T0mb3ry »

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #469 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 14:32:24 »

Indeed the bottom row is duplicated. Thus good catch and good suggestion. I'll look into (tho not promise) making the planck bottom row with ctrl, alt, fn, etc. keys. Probably also worded arrows. For other rows its not possible. They need to be any key or strictly default layout. But the poll will show the direction.

Thanks for looking into it.  I know everyone likes different layouts and different keycap designers have their own priorities, but it would be cool to have the option for either type of bottom row.  I understand that keys for other rows would be too much to add to this kit.  I'm just glad that quite a few of the designers are at least going with some type of text mods for Planck and Ergo instead of just blanks.  IMHO with blanks you lose some of the charm of the colorway because your mods don't have the double-shot accent color.

Offline fn

« Reply #470 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 15:13:02 »

In my opinion the R3 1u escape keys and ("/') keys do belong to ergoplanck kit. Other 40% stagered layouts can not utilize those keys. Basically all the keys you suggested do belong into ergoplank kit. Precisely these keys are from plancks default layout.

The real purpose of those assembly instructions on modifiers is to act as any key and give a key a non keyboard related but geekyish/nerdish (in a positive way) label. So the modifiers dont have any layout basicaly and everyone is free to create the layout he/she/it wants. If i add the keys you request the real purpose of those assembly instructions mods is missed and it would make sense to change whole Ergoplanck kit to the default layouts of planck and ergodox...

Thanks for having a look at this and the great response. The kit will be amazing anyway, there are so many options with the novelties but I have voted. Really looking forward to my first GMK set  :cool:

Offline shammy1260

« Reply #471 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 18:54:09 »
Definitely interested in at least the base kit

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #472 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 07:55:10 »
Would it be possible to have 6x 2u R4c spacebars (2 of each color) in the space kit ? This way, it will be easier to build a symmetrical ergodox with convex spacebars...

I'm just glad that quite a few of the designers are at least going with some type of text mods for Planck and Ergo instead of just blanks.  IMHO with blanks you lose some of the charm of the colorway because your mods don't have the double-shot accent color.
I completely agree with you !!!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #473 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 06:44:47 »
Update

Ergoplanck kit
 - Added planck standard bottom row keys. Those might be also usefull for ergodox.

Space kit
 - Added addtional 2u spacebars for Ergodox (and probably other unusual layouts) in each color.

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #474 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 08:42:00 »
Update

Ergoplanck kit
 - Added planck standard bottom

Space kit
 - Added addtional 2u spacebars for Ergodox (and probably other unusual layouts) in each color

I’m really digging the updates to the ergoplanck kit!

I’m sad it isn’t available in the boneyard colorway but understand it’s probably hard enough to hit MOQ for one colorway let alone two. That said, since boneyard alphas are already available In their own kit, how feasible would it be to have a set with just the ergoplanck mods in boneyard colors without alphas?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #475 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 09:03:00 »
That said, since boneyard alphas are already available In their own kit, how feasible would it be to have a set with just the ergoplanck mods in boneyard colors without alphas?

Sorry i want to keep it as a base set on its own. Beige alphas are the standard. The boneyard alphas is an extension.

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #476 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 10:23:39 »
That said, since boneyard alphas are already available In their own kit, how feasible would it be to have a set with just the ergoplanck mods in boneyard colors without alphas?

Sorry i want to keep it as a base set on its own. Beige alphas are the standard. The boneyard alphas is an extension.

Just to be clear, I don't mean change the base set. What I'm proposing is to add an additional extension set like this:

Excuse my crappy MS Paint render  :) I understand if supporting both a base and extension kit for Ergoplanck is too much, I just really love the boneyard colorway.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #477 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 10:43:01 »

Just to be clear, I don't mean change the base set. What I'm proposing is to add an additional extension set like this:

Show Image

Excuse my crappy MS Paint render  :) I understand if supporting both a base and extension kit for Ergoplanck is too much, I just really love the boneyard colorway.

I understand. But i dont want to introduce additional kits since there are already too many kits. Also the boneyard alphas are optional and they will stay optional as an extension.

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #478 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 10:48:45 »
I understand. But i dont want to introduce additional kits since there are already too many kits. Also the boneyard alphas are optional and they will stay optional as an extension.

Ok, no problem! No harm in asking  :thumb:

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #479 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 12:33:23 »
Update

Ergoplanck kit
 - Added planck standard bottom row keys. Those might be also usefull for ergodox.

Space kit
 - Added addtional 2u spacebars for Ergodox (and probably other unusual layouts) in each color.

Offline fn

« Reply #480 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 15:49:45 »
Update

Ergoplanck kit

Space kit

this is awesome.  :eek:

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #481 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 17:13:40 »
Going to go in the opposite direction here.

I missed the discussion about changing the ergoplank kit. It happened pretty quickly. I know that you just changed the kit, but I'd recommend reconsidering.

While the Space Cadet Assembly kit might be appealing to some, it does not appear to be on track to hit MOQ. Without a lot of help from vendors, it's not certain that the kit will be made. It's disappointing for sure. But I'd say that it's a red flag for this kind of kit. Even if Carbon R2 is expected to be an overall more popular buy, this a kit set up in this way may still under-perform, even if it ultimately hits MOQ.

I actually dropped by this thread to offer a different suggestion: drop the alphas from the ergoplank kit. Serika and Space Cadet, the first two GMK GBs to attempt this all-in-one kit have had those kits really under-perform. Serika, a drop with about 1,000 purchases, didn't even sell 30 of dox kits. Which is again, hugely disappointing. That kit was even cheaper than Space Cadet's.

Blanks are better than no kit at all, they're cheap, they sell pretty consistently. Or keep the Assembly text (or look at Nautilus) if you're determined to do something different from Carbon R1 .. though, you think people would actually support Assembly if that's something they really want.  :'(

My suspicion is that there are just not enough people that want to buy into a GMK set to exclusively buy caps for a non-standard keyboard like the ergodox. While it is considerate to try and have people to pay as little as possible by including alphas, ultimately, it just hasn't come close to working yet. (fingers crossed that Space Cadet will prove me wrong)

Consider that there are two alternate-color alphas sets. You do not have to buy the base set to completely cover a planck or an ergodox. If you're determined to have the original colors, then you buy the base set and down the road, it will be more useful if you want to put it on a different board or sell it.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #482 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 18:20:19 »

I missed the discussion about changing the ergoplank kit. It happened pretty quickly. I know that you just changed the kit, but I'd recommend reconsidering.

While the Space Cadet Assembly kit might be appealing to some, it does not appear to be on track to hit MOQ. Without a lot of help from vendors, it's not certain that the kit will be made. It's disappointing for sure. But I'd say that it's a red flag for this kind of kit. Even if Carbon R2 is expected to be an overall more popular buy, this a kit set up in this way may still under-perform, even if it ultimately hits MOQ.

I actually dropped by this thread to offer a different suggestion: drop the alphas from the ergoplank kit. Serika and Space Cadet, the first two GMK GBs to attempt this all-in-one kit have had those kits really under-perform. Serika, a drop with about 1,000 purchases, didn't even sell 30 of dox kits. Which is again, hugely disappointing. That kit was even cheaper than Space Cadet's.

Blanks are better than no kit at all, they're cheap, they sell pretty consistently. Or keep the Assembly text (or look at Nautilus) if you're determined to do something different from Carbon R1 .. though, you think people would actually support Assembly if that's something they really want.  :'(

My suspicion is that there are just not enough people that want to buy into a GMK set to exclusively buy caps for a non-standard keyboard like the ergodox. While it is considerate to try and have people to pay as little as possible by including alphas, ultimately, it just hasn't come close to working yet. (fingers crossed that Space Cadet will prove me wrong)

Consider that there are two alternate-color alphas sets. You do not have to buy the base set to completely cover a planck or an ergodox. If you're determined to have the original colors, then you buy the base set and down the road, it will be more useful if you want to put it on a different board or sell it.

I will definitely keep the assembly instructions as labels. Also this Ergoplanck kit is not comparable with Space Cadet kit which includes only Ergodox.

One very important note tho. Carbon is the main keyset and not the Bones. Bones is an extra set with few extensions. Thus exotic layouts like (40%, ergodox, etc.) or other layouts will be done in Carbon colorway and not Bones.

If i remove the alphas then it becomes extension kit. In that case i will merge it with Xtra 4.0 kit. Its the Xtra 4.0 kit which bothers me most. I heavily consider to remove row 4 bottom rows. Using an row 5 bottom row is not an issue if used with a wristrest. In that constelation it would make more sense to meet the MOQ. But this is not set in stone yet.

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #483 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 03:58:13 »
Are 3u space bars a possibility? I like this kind of split spacebar like on the Z70 pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #484 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 04:12:23 »
Are 3u space bars a possibility? I like this kind of split spacebar like on the Z70 pro.

Right now its not possible to introduce 3u spacebars.

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #485 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 15:29:34 »

I completely agree with this sentiment. As a person who uses less common layouts such as Iris, Atreus62, and now my own custom keyboards (Speedo & Ergo87), I usually purchase the base set and the ortho extension set to make sure I can cover any of my boards. There's no way I can stomach purchasing a base set along with an ortho kit that is $100+ on it's own due to containing the same alphas.

I passed on Space Cadet for this exact reason but likely would have joined if the ortho kit was cheaper and didn't contain its own alphas.

Offline Tordp

« Reply #486 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 16:13:36 »
If this keyset will have GMK R0 and R5 I'm going to buy all the kits. I don't care if I need them or not.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #487 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 03:52:14 »
I am looking into replacing the Ergoplanck base kit and Xtra 4.0 kit with Assembly kit. There is very high chance i will do it.

If this keyset will have GMK R0 and R5 I'm going to buy all the kits. I don't care if I need them or not.

The R0 and R5 are the features/highlights of GMK Carbon R2

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #488 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 05:38:37 »
@T0mb3ry
Difficult to answer question, but do you think the grey space cadet alpha’s will match nicely with the Ivory Mods from this?

Offline befbef

« Reply #489 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 06:44:01 »
@T0mb3ry
Difficult to answer question, but do you think the grey space cadet alpha’s will match nicely with the Ivory Mods from this?

You asked for it, gehtto renders incoming:

ivory - space grey

ivory - ivory

ivory - space blue

space - ivory

ivory - burgundy

EDIT: Why don't the pictures show up?
Here's a gallery link: https://imgur.com/a/oIG8WZn
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 August 2018, 06:46:09 by befbef »

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #490 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 07:02:33 »
@T0mb3ry

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! don't spoil my plan mate!

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #491 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 09:55:55 »

The best time to bring that up is during an interest check. Lol  ;)

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #492 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 10:39:35 »
I am looking into replacing the Ergoplanck base kit and Xtra 4.0 kit with Assembly kit. There is very high chance i will do it.

Show Image

Nice, I will definitely pick up this set if you do. :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #493 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 04:50:26 »
Update

- Ergoplanck kit and Xtra 4.0 kit has been removed and replaced by Assembly kit.

Assembly kit
 - New kit which combines Planck, Ergodox and other 40% layouts and acts as an extension. Say it has no alphas and thus you can combine it with the alphas from one of the base sets or the alpha extensions (Beezarre or Boneyard). Ofcourse you can combine it with alphas from other sets.
For example GMK Space Cadet which offers also one alpha extension.
Anyway the main reason for this kit is to make it reach the MOQ, since these layouts do always struggle even in very succesful keyset designs. Also because of this reason i cant offer you this kit in Bone colorway.

« Last Edit: Sun, 26 August 2018, 04:58:16 by T0mb3ry »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #494 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 19:49:49 »
looks like this will be a big one. Can’t wait to get a full set of this

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #495 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 20:18:44 »
Definitely interested in this one for a standard TKL and 65% layout.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #496 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 16:25:06 »
Got picture of new deskmats. They look way better now.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #497 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 16:27:56 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hey boss, are we expecting a matt GB soon? Massdrop?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #498 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 16:30:00 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yup. Way better. I'd get the orange one.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #499 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 16:31:27 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I need dat orange nauw!