Author Topic: Das Keyboard Retooling Help  (Read 1401 times)

Offline CodeMonkeyX

Das Keyboard Retooling Help
« on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 23:55:20 »
Hello there,
I am starting to get into DIY keyboards and stuff like that, and I decided to practice on an old Das Keyboard I have that has a broken controller (don't ask). So everything else on the keyboard is fine except for the controller, and I would like to get a Teensy++ 2.0 (or any controller that might be more suitable) and use that as the new controller. I was reading the QMK firmware and it seems like this should be possible, but I believe I would need to know how this 26 pin connector is linked up the key matrix on the Das Keyboard PCB.

I tried figuring it out by following the traces, but they just go through to the other side of the PCB to link up with diodes under the plate which make it hard to figure out what traces are actually connected.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start with kind of reverse engineering this matrix? Or even a better way to do it all together?

Do I actually need to know how the 26 pins are wired, or can I wire the 26 pins to the new controller and determine what columns and rows are what via the software?

EDIT: Photo's for context:
Ribbon Cable -> https://imgur.com/R0tzLuX

PCB -> https://imgur.com/FuTwJoy

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2018, 23:57:54 by CodeMonkeyX »

Offline Lanrefni

Re: Das Keyboard Retooling Help
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 08:37:12 »
You could build a cheap continuity tester with a pair of AA batteries taped together,then tape a piece of wire to each,attach the negative wire to the negative leg of an led,then insert the positive leg into one of the ribbon cable openings,then insert the positive wire into one of the other openings,then press keys till the led lights up,write down the combo,then check the next opening,will take forever,but it will work.