Author Topic: PS/2 Keyboard Recommendations  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Smack2k

PS/2 Keyboard Recommendations
« on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 11:39:11 »
Hey all,

New here and not very knowledgable of individual switches / types / etc so forgive my ignorance

I am looking to possibly replace my two IBM PS/2 Keyboards (KB-7953 and KB-9910) with two mechanical PS/2 Keyboards for my retro PC setups.   

Looking for some recommendations on what to look for, possibly buy to replace them.  I love the sound and feel of the mechanical keyboards like the Model Ms I used to have, but dont know what to look for / what's good, bad, etc...

Appreciate any assistance I can get

Offline Tactile

Re: PS/2 Keyboard Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 13:18:57 »
Unicomp still make the Model M. The old style, or black if you want. Or they also have a smaller size which includes Windows keys in white or black.

Lots of folks here will tell you to find an old one 'cause the quality is better. I've owned a couple of Unicomp boards and they're fine keyboards. Thinner plastic than one from 1982, yes but, unless you're a collector, who cares? These are fine keyboards and well worth the price.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Smack2k

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 09:07:35 »
Thanks, I will look into those..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 10:01:38 »
Dell AT101 is good, especially if you want to get into modding the switches, and is available in either beige or black, if you need black.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Smack2k

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 17:24:51 »
I have a Dell AT101W that is pretty dirty.....could take it apart and clean it up for one of the two keyboards....

I also have the following in my bin, not sure if any would suffice as decent

Epson T026A
NMB RT101+
NMB RT6855TW (x2)
Fujitsu FKB4700

Any worth cleaning up fully and using?

Looked on Unicomp...I may be getting one of those for my main rig...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 19:53:50 »
I love NMB Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" particularly the clicky black ones. Unfortunately they are difficult to take apart, just do a minimal cleaning if you can.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Smack2k

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 20:22:26 »
 Thanks for the tip, that was gonna be the next thing I did was try and take one of those apart....I will clean it as best I can...