Author Topic: [IC] Aluminum Case Cover for Cherry G80-3XXX  (Read 6368 times)

Offline kinruan

• SWAG=Specially Weaponized Asian Grandma
[IC] Aluminum Case Cover for Cherry G80-3XXX
« on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 21:58:59 »
OK right now we have some aluminum case Covers for G80-3XXX and also 1XXX

G80S & G80L Aluminum Case Cover GB for Geekhack
Notice, these are only the top covers since the entire case may change the feeling of typing. and it is more easy change the top of ur keyboard.

What is AboStudio? it is a studio that manufactures keyboard parts and other relating products with talent ideas. They focus on the improvement of appearance without modifying the original using experience. They will do more research and jobs on relating fittings and additional parts in order to offer a perfect product. 

UPDATE
4/26
Winkeyless is available if we have an extremely accurate measurement and more than 10 ordered ! it will be designed as the baffle like KMAC2, as same color as the cover. it will come with every cover, not sure about price, may be little more, depends.

The bottom curve/angle is available. it will be constructed on all of the G80S some misunderstanding.... sry

Well, i guess someone don't like the broken & dirty & yellow cases for some rare and old cherry boards. so here are choices: G80S and G80L
There is either short version like the original G80 cases or with the long wristrest like 7G
Two colors are available: Black and Silver
They also come with the little plastic pieces for LED which is set by a screw on the case and a 3M wipe.
The LED piece fits all other original G80 cases too! so if ur missing one of them, this is the chance to get a new one.
Both covers have been already manufacturing and selling. All we need to do is to order more if GHer want!
[
/size]

Price:
G80S $259   
G80L $299
minimum for GB: total 5 no matter what color and what size

excluding PP fee and shipping, i think.
yeah i know everyone cares about the price, have to say that it is quite expensive for a couple reasons

1. Few quantity, obviously. more--->cheaper
2. enough materiel:  twice aluminum than KMAC
3. High level crafts, perfect space between keys and case, perfect fluent surface on the large G80L

4. And GeekHack logo will be added on the case if there are more than 5 ordered.

Interesting Check
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1qih1y14mleMOCJC9zOHdu3jccdbBMJzJ9_vXv-OggNc/viewform
Response
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtbJB-WCUPFidHhnMXlicVk2bm9KUFIyWEFiSEhKenc#gid=0

there are little changes on the corners of G80L due to some technical problems, so it is not exactly as same as the picture shown

UPDATE

« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2013, 03:05:28 by kinruan »
If the world ends tomorrow, what should we have for dinner tonight?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: [IC] Aluminum Case for Cherry G80-3XXX
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 22:17:03 »
Very nice. If only it was winkeyless
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline kinruan

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 22:44:49 »
Very nice. If only it was winkeyless
always winkeyless, it is the time to have some full 104

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 23:40:11 »
Yeah, bost. You need to quit living in the 80s, man.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 01:13:33 »
I would be interested in a black standard size case. I don't understand how these can be JUST the top though, they look too tall. You should see if the bottom can be manufactured as well, a plastic bottom would look kinda tacky. Hopefully that wont double the price...

And DON'T put a GH logo on them unless somebody actually wants that (and only on their case).

EDIT: I wish it had the angle along the bottom too... Oh well, I think these are the first metal 3000 cases ever made (correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT2: HOW exactly do you connect the top to the bottom? Am I just not seeing the locking tabs?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 01:22:44 by The_Ed »
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline kinruan

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:49:01 »
I don't understand how these can be JUST the top though, they look too tall.

And DON'T put a GH logo on them unless somebody actually wants that (and only on their case).

EDIT: I wish it had the angle along the bottom too... Oh well, I think these are the first metal 3000 cases ever made (correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT2: HOW exactly do you connect the top to the bottom? Am I just not seeing the locking tabs?

Picture is updated, the case won't ever connect the bottom, Ur just putting  the top on the keyboard, well it is not a big deal since it is heavy and u won't move it at all due to the rubber Pad on the bottom. It is not designed like a KMAC that can be carrying around. This case is something that u want to leave it on the desk for a long time. At least i will be glad to see a G80L on my clean desk in front of my Mac when i get home.

angle s are available on G80L but sry not on G80S.

The reason of why we only have the top is because we don't want to change any of the typing feeling. It is hard to design a satisfying bottom with those awesome stiffeners and fitting all kinds of boards. Therefore, The cover case will have a wonderful capability with any kind of vantage/new/special version of G80-3XXX, some G80-1XXX, and also G81-3XXX. (Notice: these bottom cases and PCB are all different from each other both in structures and abilities.)

and gh logo will be considered, if there are more than 5 requiring GH logo, only those can be modified.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:29:40 by kinruan »

Offline abostudio

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:26:48 »
hi everyone! it's my first time to login GH, I hope G80S/L will be popular with GHer!

Offline kinruan

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:30:25 »
hi everyone! it's my first time to login GH, I hope G80S/L will be popular with GHer!
oh yeah, the manufacturer is here now.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:55:04 »
They look nice, but then they are really cover/roof with cutout for the keys not a casebody replacement. Maybe make that more clear in the OP. If it was a total replacement casebody and winkeyless I would be more interested.
While I may not be interested in this particular version, I am impressed with the fit and finish shown and hope to see more things from this maker.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:28:36 »
I really do like the look of it, but I don't think I can drop this kind of cash on a COVER that doesn't even attach to the bottom... Sorry... I hope that in the future there is a full case, or at least a case that attaches to the bottom. And I also hope that it has the angle along the bottom, but that isn't a sale killer for me.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline kinruan

Re: [IC] Aluminum Case Cover for Cherry G80-3XXX
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:55:40 »
They look nice, but then they are really cover/roof with cutout for the keys not a casebody replacement. Maybe make that more clear in the OP.

Thx.

Offline kinruan

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:00:13 »
I really do like the look of it, but I don't think I can drop this kind of cash on a COVER that doesn't even attach to the bottom... Sorry... I hope that in the future there is a full case, or at least a case that attaches to the bottom. And I also hope that it has the angle along the bottom, but that isn't a sale killer for me.

i know many people may complain about the unattached cover, well, it is metallic and not bendable, so we can't have buckles to stabilize it. do u have any suggestion? we do have chance to improve it.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:01:06 »
If you want to use this with a winkeyless keyboard, note that the LEDs are set wider apart on the winkeyless.

I was thinking, that if the case was a full case, it would have been possible to make one that is smaller than the original G80-3000 case, at least for winkeyful keyboards. There is a lot of empty space inside a G80-3000.

Offline kinruan

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:21:38 »
If you want to use this with a winkeyless keyboard, note that the LEDs are set wider apart on the winkeyless.

I was thinking, that if the case was a full case, it would have been possible to make one that is smaller than the original G80-3000 case, at least for winkeyful keyboards. There is a lot of empty space inside a G80-3000.

ok i will ask AboStudio about Winkeyless

same as Boost's suggestion about winkeyless

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:22:09 »
I think a bottom will be necessary to get these to sell. The tracks, barrels, and pins that support and hold the pcb should be very universal between G80-3XXX variants. But G80-3XXX, G81-3XXX, and maybe 1XXX variants would be different from one another (I've never owned a 1XXX so I don't know about those). Not many people like G81's, and 1XXX are rare, so you don't necessarily have to support those. A universal G80-3XXX case would be my recommendation to make. If there is enough actual paying interest in winkeyless, then that option could be added as well.
R.I.P.ster

Offline kinruan

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:30:48 »
I think a bottom will be necessary to get these to sell. The tracks, barrels, and pins that support and hold the pcb should be very universal between G80-3XXX variants. But G80-3XXX, G81-3XXX, and maybe 1XXX variants would be different from one another (I've never owned a 1XXX so I don't know about those). Not many people like G81's, and 1XXX are rare, so you don't necessarily have to support those. A universal G80-3XXX case would be my recommendation to make. If there is enough actual paying interest in winkeyless, then that option could be added as well.

well , good point, but AboStudio doesn't like the bottom :( they prefer the original feeling, they are saying that they don't have the confidence to make the feeling of typing better than it was.  Cherry is too excellent XD

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:43:33 »
The feeling of cherry boards comes from them being PCB-mount. It doesn't matter to the PCB whether its resting on plastic or metal, it will flex just the same as you type. It will NOT change the feel if they make a bottom, and the customer is always right.
R.I.P.ster

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 15:56:46 »
Oh yes, a more svelte 3000 winkeyless case would be most welcome, complete case replacement though. It does not really have to resemble the classic look as long as the PCB fit inside only just. Maybe something sort of Cheat-esque?

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 16:46:01 »
But I like the classic 3000 look... The surfboard on top and angle on bottom are a timeless classic that shouldn't be altered. We all seem to be in agreement that it should be a full case with winkeyless optional though.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 07:33:49 »
But I like the classic 3000 look...   We all seem to be in agreement that it should be a full case with winkeyless optional though.

Definitely.  An all Aluminum Body Case for the G80-3000 series will see an avalanche of orders coming your way.  The FIRST being from me  8) .

Offline kinruan

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 22:22:15 »
bump

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 22:29:24 »
Make a full case and we will buy it.
R.I.P.ster

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 11:35:13 »
Are you a vendor for AboStudio?

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 11:47:48 »
these look GREAT. if only I had a G80-3000 Winkeyless