Author Topic: [IC] GMK Sumi | GB live! | 15th July to 15th August  (Read 242844 times)

Offline blizzara01

Is the design for deskmat final? The red character bothers me especially with Koi and Ghost koi.

Great job with keyset!

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks

Is the design for deskmat final? The red character bothers me especially with Koi and Ghost koi.

What exactly bothers you about the Hanko (red character) ?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr

Although I noticed you've kept the top-right sublegends on the ,<, .>, /? keys. Was this intentional?

Yes that was intentional, because for them function went over form in my opinion.

Alright. In that case, would including the を (wo) kana above the わ (wa) kana on the 0)わ key be something that you would also consider? Explanation: Unlike the quaternary legends on the rest of the number row keys, which are just smaller versions of the existing ternary kana legends, the を atop わ is a different kana altogether, so function might surpass form in this case as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2020, 11:13:48 by konstantin »

Offline Missingnumber

Although I noticed you've kept the top-right sublegends on the ,<, .>, /? keys. Was this intentional?

Yes that was intentional, because for them function went over form in my opinion.

Alright. In that case, would including the を (wo) kana above the わ (wa) kana on the 0)わ key be something that you would also consider? Explanation: Unlike the quaternary legends on the rest of the number row keys, which are just smaller versions of the existing ternary kana legends, the を atop わ is a different kana altogether, so function might surpass form in this case as well.

I really appreciate the punctuation sublegends. The following top-right sublegends could also be considered:
「 on the [{ key
」 on the ]} key
¥ on the \| key
In terms of row number, the「 and 」 keys aren't the exact JIS locations, but that's where they are input on ANSI and ISO layouts.

The only thing else I would want personally would be a ひらがな/カタカナ (or just ひらがな) key,  which I'll probably use a Super key for. The 変換 keys and 半角全角 key would be fun, but I don't think they would fit on any layout I can use.

Off topic, but I'm having a lot of success mapping the (無)変換 functionality to a three button split spacebar layout. This and other threads have made me think about how to improve my Japanese typing recently.

Offline Keyjus

Can we get a reverse version of the bonsai deskmat. That would be really awesome!

Offline mvkoto

Can we get a reverse version of the bonsai deskmat. That would be really awesome!
+1

Offline GhostEther

I'll definitely buy this set when it goes on GB on 1st of August.  :thumb:

Offline reaLFX

I love the ghost koi desk mat, I want to like the key sets, but just not a fan of jap legends.

Offline DonaldPShimoda

I love the ghost koi desk mat, I want to like the key sets, but just not a fan of jap legends.

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but abbreviating "Japanese" as "Jap" is generally considered an ethnic slur in English. Just a friendly FYI for the future. :)

Offline reaLFX

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but abbreviating "Japanese" as "Jap" is generally considered an ethnic slur in English. Just a friendly FYI for the future. :)

Thanks for the heads up! Excuse my slangs.

Offline LordOwen

As someone who just spent four years living in Hiroshima, if nothing else, that Torii Rama cap needs to find its way to my home... Along with just about everything else about this set that I love, unconditionally!

Offline mvkoto

As someone who just spent four years living in Hiroshima, if nothing else, that Torii Rama cap needs to find its way to my home... Along with just about everything else about this set that I love, unconditionally!

haha same here. how long have you been in japan? i have family there

Offline LordOwen

haha same here. how long have you been in japan? i have family there

This is my 5th year! One year in Matsue, four in Hiroshima, and now, starting life in Tokyo from March, just in time for everything to close  ;D

I hope your family is doing okay!!!!

Offline BloodyMarvel

Goddammit... I have enough keycap sets.

WHY, DAMN YOU, WHY??!!

OK, fine. I guess one more won't hurt...

Offline lamp

rip to my wallet

Offline Silverion77

Re: [IC] GMK Sumi | GB on 1st of August! | added JIS-Layout compatibility
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 02:04:52 »
Really love this set, but I'm really down with the hiragana only alphas. I personally find sublegend keys just a tad too busy for my tastes.

That said, I would hate to get the set to end up not using half of the alphas. Dilemma indeed....

Offline Toastawar

• Uh...
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 04:41:34 »
I would've liked to see more of the red in the kits, specifically the novelties.

Offline Chobo

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 12:22:57 »
I wish there was option for white alphas! Would be super clean looking.

Offline sedxr

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:47:02 »
Kinda sucks that there isn't a modifiers kit so that I can just buy the mods and the Hiragana alphas :/

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:51:45 »

Although I noticed you've kept the top-right sublegends on the ,<, .>, /? keys. Was this intentional? CV

FaKe_VirTual, have you had the chance to think this suggestion over?

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 17:15:20 »

FaKe_VirTual, have you had the chance to think this suggestion over?

Yes, I did think about it, but sadly the Kits have already been sent to GMK for a price reference, so it would cause a lot of trouble changing this by now.
I'm sorry for that.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 18:23:29 »
Yes, I did think about it, but sadly the Kits have already been sent to GMK for a price reference, so it would cause a lot of trouble changing this by now.
I'm sorry for that.

Alright, no worries. FYI, during the Yugo IC/GB, we were able to change one of the legends that was incorrect way after we had finalized the kits (we realized too late that it was incorrect). As long as it isn't adding or removing keys, the quotes are still valid and GMK are very open to discussing changes like that, since, at the end of the day, it results in a better product.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 18:25:24 by konstantin »

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 04:48:28 »
I'm sorry for that.

Alright, no worries. FYI, during the Yugo IC/GB, we were able to change one of the legends that was incorrect way after we had finalized the kits (we realized too late that it was incorrect). As long as it isn't adding or removing keys, the quotes are still valid and GMK are very open to discussing changes like that, since, at the end of the day, it results in a better product.

Then I will try my best to change it! Thanks for making me aware!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 05:44:12 »

Great :) Another caveat is that the mold for the legend you're changing to obviously has to already exist for it to not affect the quote, but in this case it certainly does exist, so you should be good.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 05:47:43 »

Great :) Another caveat is that the mold for the legend you're changing to obviously has to already exist for it to not affect the quote, but in this case the molds with を, 「, 」 certainly do exist, so you should be good.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 19:09:20 »
So this black is like ink-black, not quite black is it?
like very dark grey?
Also, that white is like off-white? like dirty white, isn't it?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:42:10 »
Man that red Rama cap looks so awesome shame it didn't make the cut.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 03:23:16 »
like very dark grey?

The "Black" is a very dark blue, which looks like black at the first glance, but if you look closer, you can see that it's blue.
The white is GMK's WS1, a slightly off-white with a minimal warm tone.

Offline BloodyMarvel

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 03:49:53 »

What do you mean? Was there a third Rama cap that got cut? Can't remember seeing one.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
Re: [IC] GMK Sumi | GB on 1st of August! | Render with the ORI 87
« Reply #279 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 05:31:45 »
Have a look at the new renderings of Sumi with the ORI 87, made by BruceDinh.

You can see the ORI over here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106031.0

Offline dlavelle94

« Reply #280 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 06:20:16 »
Incredible deskmat designs

Offline BruceDinh

• Explorer | Artist | Petrolhead
    • ORI CLUB
« Reply #281 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 11:07:44 »
Have a look at the new renderings of Sumi with the ORI 87, made by BruceDinh.

You can see the ORI over here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106031.0

Very pleased!!! :cool:

Offline BloodyMarvel

« Reply #282 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 12:27:37 »
Thanks for the link :)

Did not know this board was in the works.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #283 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 12:38:41 »

What do you mean? Was there a third Rama cap that got cut? Can't remember seeing one.

This is the cap

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #284 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 16:49:57 »
like very dark grey?

The "Black" is a very dark blue, which looks like black at the first glance, but if you look closer, you can see that it's blue.
The white is GMK's WS1, a slightly off-white with a minimal warm tone.

Sounds beautiful! :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tofulo

« Reply #285 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:56:41 »
those mats are crazy

Offline BloodyMarvel

« Reply #286 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 14:36:16 »

Show Image

Dayum, that looks way better than the white Sumi cap. Especially considering the Torii cap is already in white (which I think is perfect).
This is the cap

Offline ufomer

« Reply #287 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 06:17:50 »

Show Image

Dayum, that looks way better than the white Sumi cap. Especially considering the Torii cap is already in white (which I think is perfect).
This is the cap
Honestly I agree, this cap is gorgeous. Have the Tori gate + this red one. It's amazing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 06:42:27 »

Show Image

This is the cap

wait THIS ONE was cut??!! this one should be the one that gets made; white ones are nice too but i'd totally buy this one too if this was made
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 06:59:34 »

Show Image

This is the cap

wait THIS ONE was cut??!! this one should be the one that gets made; white ones are nice too but i'd totally buy this one too if this was made

I think I need to give you guys a reason on why I cutted that one.
The point is that it wouldn't fit the scheme thats going on in the Set. As a standalone Cap it is nice, that's totally right, but with the Sumi-e inspiration in mind, it doesn't fit as good as the white one.
If you take a look at the Novelties, the red is always a minor accent, because the red colour is generally refering to the Hanko in Sumi-e paintings. There it's always just a small splash of red, which gives the painting a littble bit of vibrancy.
I don't want to get away from this inspiration, because with the all red cap, it would be straight in your face. I'm aware that the Basekit features the all red Esc and Enter Keys, but thats just because it's the Base kit and the full aestethic of Sumi will be reached with the Novelties in my opinion.
I hope that this clearifys the decision on why I cutted the Cap.

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 18:23:27 »

I think I need to give you guys a reason on why I cutted that one.
The point is that it wouldn't fit the scheme thats going on in the Set. As a standalone Cap it is nice, that's totally right, but with the Sumi-e inspiration in mind, it doesn't fit as good as the white one.
If you take a look at the Novelties, the red is always a minor accent, because the red colour is generally refering to the Hanko in Sumi-e paintings. There it's always just a small splash of red, which gives the painting a littble bit of vibrancy.
I don't want to get away from this inspiration, because with the all red cap, it would be straight in your face. I'm aware that the Basekit features the all red Esc and Enter Keys, but thats just because it's the Base kit and the full aestethic of Sumi will be reached with the Novelties in my opinion.
I hope that this clearifys the decision on why I cutted the Cap.

nah that totally makes sense. still bummed tho, would loved to have that cap. most of the time i actually don't run my Rama artisans on my build but i keep them in my artisan box. anyways, looking forward to the GB.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline BloodyMarvel

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 20:44:12 »
For the sumi-e sakura branch novelty Enter key, I'm not a huge fan of the solid cherry blossom.

Any chance of a rework to a more detailed design, or maybe a red or pink pad printed sakura blossom?

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
Re: [IC] GMK Sumi | GB moved to 15th July | Project Keyboard as NA Vendor
« Reply #292 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 07:27:36 »
Hey Guys!

So we had a small change in our Vendor lineup. That has resulted in a changed GB Date.
The Groupbuy will be on the 15th of July. The new Vendor for US is Project Keyboard!
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 June 2020, 18:05:00 by FaKe_VirTual »

Offline Energieschleuder

• Instagram
« Reply #293 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 07:33:42 »
Hey Guys!

So we had a small change in our Vendor lineup. That has resulted in a changed GB Date.
The Groupbuy will be on the 15th of July. The new Vendor for NA is Project Keyboard!

A good choice!

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #294 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 08:25:47 »
Hey Guys!

The Groupbuy will be on the 15th of July. The new Vendor for NA is Project Keyboard!

oh my. july is looking like it will destroy my budget. oh well.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #295 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 09:50:13 »
I am in! But more than one month of waiting then god know how long to actually get this :)

Offline mvkoto

« Reply #296 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 16:27:38 »
Hey Guys!

This is excellent! Now we can get it half a month earlier too.

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
Re: [IC] GMK Sumi | GB moved to 15th July | Project Keyboard as US Vendor
« Reply #297 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 19:16:38 »
Might actually pick up that nice koi deskmat now

Offline itsbeard

Re: [IC] GMK Sumi | GB moved to 15th July | Project Keyboard as US Vendor
« Reply #298 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 21:05:25 »
I'm in for the set and deskmat  :D

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
Re: [IC] GMK Sumi | GB moved to 15th July | Last changes were made
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 10:14:38 »
I were able to change the requested things and the Hanko on the Deskmats, due to the vendor change.

With that being said, Sumi is now finished.