Author Topic: Splinter  (Read 2688 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Splinter
« on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 08:02:01 »
Damn, got a splinter, it's a small one.

Tweezer,  snippy snip

Damn, now I'm bleeding,  did I get the splinter?

What's this dark spot, wipes blood, god damn it, the dried skin is dyed red.

Is it still there ?

What say splinter experts on this ? What's the proper followup ?

Offline dingusxmcgee

Re: Splinter
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 08:32:36 »
Try and push/press from the other side or cut away a little skin to get at it.

Offline mikestah

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 17:08:47 »
Amputate

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 18:26:18 »
Disappointed this is not a ninja turtles thread.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 18:41:21 »
A binocular dissecting microscope, dimmable HCRI light sauce and fine tipped tweezers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 18:50:36 »
A binocular dissecting microscope, dimmable HCRI light sauce and fine tipped tweezers.

They really need to make microscopes cheaper. they should be consumer household products.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 19:32:47 »
I bought something like these a few years ago and they really do come in handy from time to time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184866711980?hash=item2b0aea29ac:g:OWkAAOSwU0VdrSJV
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 19:42:59 »
Wait till you get an infection, then you'll know you missed part of it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 20:13:52 »
You can squeeze on and around the wound in different directions and pressures. There is a difference in pain between agitating the wound and something poking around in there. Or if you're really concerned you can bite something and really cut open and scrape it out.

Sometimes you have to use a needle to dig out the little pieces. I usually use a small sewing needle. A tack or even a staple can be too big.

As fohat pointed out, an eye loupe is also a very big help here.

I bought something like these a few years ago and they really do come in handy from time to time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184866711980?hash=item2b0aea29ac:g:OWkAAOSwU0VdrSJV

Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 09:06:15 »

They really need to make microscopes cheaper. they should be consumer household products.

Plenty of more affordable options available. In Germany Bresser is a very popular affordable microscope, prolly plenty good for common tasks. High quality & professional microscopes are very expensive to manufacture.

You can get vintage microscopes which aren't at all worse in terms of optics compared to modern ones for little money. I personally use a olympus from the 70s and the quality is outstanding.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 09:15:04 »
Plenty of more affordable options available. In Germany Bresser is a very popular affordable microscope, prolly plenty good for common tasks. High quality & professional microscopes are very expensive to manufacture.

You can get vintage microscopes which aren't at all worse in terms of optics compared to modern ones for little money. I personally use a olympus from the 70s and the quality is outstanding.

Sure, most are fine, but then there's that 1 microscope with some sort of Space-Cooties stuck in the gaps, you turn the screw, and BAM... Contagion 2,

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 14:21:36 »
Get one of those bug bite suction devices and use it on yourself in the tub.
Ya know, for either the splinter or other purposes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 October 2021, 10:56:52 »
happy to report, wound has heeled, and "seemingly" splinter free.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 19:39:52 »
Splinters? Don’t get me started! I work 40 hours a week hands on in a sawmill making 2x4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 19:51:30 »
Splinters? Don’t get me started! I work 40 hours a week hands on in a sawmill making 2x4s.

ym88 is 2 manly...

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 19:58:38 »

ym88 is 2 manly...

Ha it’s not that difficult really but the splinters are a daily occurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 20:06:39 »

splinters are a daily occurrence.

Be glad they aren't splinters from tropical hardwoods. Those are THE WORST by far.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 20:56:21 »

Be glad they aren't splinters from tropical hardwoods. Those are THE WORST by far.
Some of those can be more irritating, such as padauk.

Baltic birch ply got me really good under my nail.  It wasn't until the infection once I realized I didn't dig it all out.

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 04:41:39 »

Baltic birch ply got me really good under my nail.  It wasn't until the infection once I realized I didn't dig it all out.

Yes, under the nail is the worst! Spruce, pine and balsam splinters really aren’t too bad it’s
Just the sheer quantity that gets under my skin. Pun certainly intended.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 07:20:21 »

Yes, under the nail is the worst! Spruce, pine and balsam splinters really aren’t too bad it’s

How come there's no splinter blocker 5000 gloves. ?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 03:23:29 »
I thought it was about Splinter Cell ;)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 04:52:51 »

How come there's no splinter blocker 5000 gloves. ?

We have about 10 different glove options to choose from for different areas of work. Some provide better protection, some provide better performance as far as grip goes for pike poles, pulp hooks, pickaroons and chainsaws.

The ones that provide the best protection from splinters are old school leather gloves but they are unwieldy and provide very little grip on meta or wood, so after a day of wresting 500 pound logs with pike poles, your hands feel like they are going to lock up because you have to squeeze way harder to get the same results as a rubber palmed tighter fitted glove with way less splinter protection.

Most people opt for the performance of the thinner, tighter, rubber lined gloves that make their job much easier regardless of the splinters.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 05:17:58 »
Most people opt for the performance of the thinner, tighter, rubber lined gloves that make their job much easier regardless of the splinters.

Why can't they make it bi-material in the right spots to provide grip AND protection ?

Couldn't the workers do some chopping and put the two together ?

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 05:33:06 »

Why can't they make it bi-material in the right spots to provide grip AND protection ?

Couldn't the workers do some chopping and put the two together ?

Well modifying the gloves wouldn’t be very practical as regardless of what type of glove we use we wear holes in them in about week of shifts and we’ll need to replace them. If I’m running the planer which is hands on rough lumber all day flipping and throwing out bad boards, I’ll need a new pair every 2-3 shifts because I will have warn holes through the leather, sheep skin, synthetic, rubber whatever material I wear.

All of these gloves have “puncture resistant” labelling on them, but a splinter will find its way through the sewn seams of any glove. The gloves help a lot don’t get me wrong, if I has no glove on I would get thousands of major splinters a day instead of just maybe 5 or so minor ones that get through.

The company brings in all kinds of gloves to test too. Ones with padding on the backs of the hands etc because hand injuries are fairly common in the mill. I’ve crushed my thumbs and fingers multiple times. I’ve also shot myself in the wrist joint with a pneumatic staple gun while wrapping up finished bundles of lumber.

I have a little collection of photos of my various hand injuries I keep.