Author Topic: Shutter time  (Read 1599 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Shutter time
« on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 17:52:20 »
So in the movies, with 24p, especially night scenes, panning get kinda blurry, even from (very latest cameras), I'm assuming this is due to the fact that shutter time has to be increased to get enough light ?

Have they cracked this yet ? or is it undesirable to have too much clarity, as in the blurriness is a choice.

277483-0

Offline yui

Re: Shutter time
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 10:57:26 »
a bit old for a tp post, but, at 24 fps yes it would be undesirable, the motion blur helps with making it feel more fluid, without it you would see a fast slideshow, modern sensors are plenty able to capture low lights at higher shutter speeds, they need to for 60 fps or above.
well i am not in the industry though, just a very interested amateur :) so i may be wrong.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 14:34:49 »
There has been lots of discussions in movie forums about some cinematographers wanting blur, to get a "cinema feel", and hate against "high" frame rates such as 48 fps (...).

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 19:58:15 »
What irks me about those people is that they assume the public wants this too. For artistic movies it makes sense, but for action movies the low frame rate often just looks ugly.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 23:41:31 »
Somehow I never realized that motion picture cameras also use shutter speed. I assumed they are dependent only on aperture and film/sensor sensitivity because of the fixed frame rate, but it makes sense that each frame can be exposed for any length of time under 1/24th of a second. I don't know why I never realized this before.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 03:21:14 »
Somehow I never realized that motion picture cameras also use shutter speed. I assumed they are dependent only on aperture and film/sensor sensitivity because of the fixed frame rate, but it makes sense that each frame can be exposed for any length of time under 1/24th of a second. I don't know why I never realized this before.
i do not think that it was always the case, i am not even sure 100% it is to be honest, i find this technically interesting but information is rather spares and diluted :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 05:54:38 »
The frame rate isn't of course the same as the shutter speed. So if the frame rate is 24 fps, it doesn't mean the shutter speed is 1/24th of a second. With a higher shutter speed you get less motion blur.