Author Topic: [GB] What in the **** Board | GB Complete  (Read 46147 times)

Offline Ram

[GB] What in the **** Board | GB Complete
« on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 21:24:05 »

What In The **** Board (WITF)
A Southpaw Fullsize XT Alice By DerpTurtle, Ram, and Shiba
Buy Now Misc Photos Discord

Sept 16 - Oct 14

DISCLAIMER
I'm 16, by buying this you understand that this GB is run by a minor though legally you are purchasing it from my LLC/FBN.
This is not inherently a bad thing nor a good thing but rather something to note for your own personal biases.
These items will not be directly fulfilled by me, I am working with Keyspensory for this to ensure all orders are handled in a timely and consistent manner.

Features
Seamless and Screw-less Exterior
Full Aluminum Case with Options of E-White Coating or Anodization
2 Mounting Options: Top Mount, Sandwich
7 Degree Typing Angle, 17.5-19.5mm Front Height
6063 Aluminum Case

PCBs
(PROTO WAS Black FR4 and isn't rep of Clear Mask CEM3)
1.2mm Black CEM3 Clear Solder Mask
QMK/VIA Support
Mirrored Numpad, Split Zero, Split RShift, Split Backspace Support; Numpad Configs are Solder PCB only
Hotswap or Soldered PCB
LED Indicators
USB C Connector
Firmware is Pre-Flashed
Split into three sections

KLE's

Options
More
Top Case Color Options
  • Gunmetal
  • Lilac
  • E-White
  • Raw
Bottom Case Color Options
  • Gunmetal
  • Lilac
  • E-White
  • Raw
Plate Options
  • Gunmetal Alu 5053
  • White POM
  • Frosted PC
  • Black CF
  • Black FR4
PCB Options
  • Solder
  • Hotswap
Wrist Rest Options
  • Walnut
  • White Oak

Timeline
6 Months from GB Close, subject to delays or advances.

Pricing
Base (Board Plate PCB and Assembly Parts): USD$650 + Shipping and Sales Tax if app.
Solder PCB: USD$65 + Shipping and Sales Tax if app.
Hotswap PCB: USD$65 + Shipping and Sales Tax if app.
Plate: USD$65 + Shipping and Sales Tax if app.
Wrist Rest: USD$60 + Shipping and Sales Tax if app.

Additional Info
GB Will be hosted on my Shopify Storefront Phenotype and Fulfilled by a separate provider.
Payment Methods will include the normal credit card offerings, Apple Pay, and Klarna.
Raw Alu orders will be protected by whatever means the Manu decides, but if at arrival the parts of tarnished or oxidized in anyway I hold no responsibility, buy raw at your own risk.

How many Units?
MOQ: 100 Units each for Wrist Rests and Kits, Cap at 200

How many plates?
No Limit though having over 5 PCBs+plates incl the kit may require a 2nd box, increasing shipping drastically
How many PCBS?
As many as my fab allows - Beware Switchplate Disclaimer
How many wristrests?
No Limit - Beware Switchplate Disclaimer

Closing thoughts

The private part of this GB has already opened, but if there's any suggestions you have feel free to post them, there's always a chance I can change something.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 July 2023, 17:01:00 by Ram »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] What in the **** Board - Opens Sept 9
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 16:34:36 »
Approved :thumb:

Thank you for the disclaimer and GLWB! This is a wild board, I dig it.

Offline Ram

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 17:25:42 »
reserved

Offline linell

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 17:27:04 »
this is one of the keyboards  :-*
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 17:32:36 »
seeing the amount of effort that's gone into this has been crazy, congrats on finally getting to gb!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 17:45:47 »
how are you gonna take the 2 hours it takes to drive to your fulfiller to qc and all the other important things pertaining to delivering a gb if you're not even legally old enough to have a license

Offline Ram

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 17:50:20 »
how are you gonna take the 2 hours it takes to drive to your fulfiller to qc and all the other important things pertaining to delivering a gb if you're not even legally old enough to have a license

16 is old enough for a license and I've had mine 6 months, I have the time and the fulfillers know how to qc those products

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 17:56:26 »
Unironic daily driver
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 19:48:45 »
thanks for telling me that you're 16, I'm out.

You are 16 also

this should not cost 825 for full alu case, at 100 units should be not more than $500 per unit
Tone down the profit
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Woovie

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 20:04:50 »
I am not giving a child $825  :thumb:

Offline MSA_Vision

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 20:19:10 »

thanks for your enlightening insight as always Kokaloo

anyways, sick board i love it  :thumb: :thumb:
Sic Parvis Magna

Offline Ram

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 21:26:15 »

You are 16 also

this should not cost 825 for full alu case, at 100 units should be not more than $500 per unit
Tone down the profit

With all due respect, 500$ a unit is an insane price target, my costs alone add up to more than that + stripe will hold 25% of funds till fulfillment, so in order for me to not screw anyone over as well as having enough cash for extras 825 is the lowest I can do.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 21:51:38 »

You are 16 also

Tone down the profit

With all due respect, 500$ a unit is an insane price target, my costs alone add up to more than that + stripe will hold 25% of funds till fulfillment, so in order for me to not screw anyone over as well as having enough cash for extras 825 is the lowest I can do.

You are a Cuck and   Ruck    Don't run it through stripe then.   and please use the Vendor and the Rendor   They are there for a reason.   The Big Chad in Full Copper cost this much  And  You Are Not Making The BIG CHAD

Offline stein3

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 22:25:45 »
Not that this matters in any way, but regarding the KLE:
Does anybody actually setup + and Enter on their numpad like that?

Offline Ram

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 22:37:27 »
Not that this matters in any way, but regarding the KLE:
Does anybody actually setup + and Enter on their numpad like that?
I don't know of anyone but I also don't know any southpaw users, I gave that option since to me it makes more sense to have mirrored numpad as an option. Since on the right end it was always the outer facing key so it only makes sense that it'd be the same on the left end

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 22:45:27 »

You are 16 also

Tone down the profit

dude this is what vendors are for

Offline Ram

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 22:52:21 »

You are 16 also

Tone down the profit

dude this is what vendors are for

In what sense? My costs aren't going to change whether I'm the vendor or someone else, and stripe's hold may not be there on an established company sure but regardless of that my profits line up w that of most boards in the market, and really would only mean that if a vendor joined half of that would be taken away or prices would be increased to increase their own profits.

Offline armani_

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 23:51:16 »

You are 16 also

Tone down the profit

So if 25% of the unit sale price is there in order to find a loophole with Stripe, then will that amount held be reimbursed to buyers after fulfillment?

It's a decent chunk of the boards cost down the drain for the buyer, that of which is quite avoidable by building a trusted repertoire with Shopify or PayPal, or by releasing the project with someone with actual experience.

To be blunt:
I don't think a child should be part of the fulfillment nor payment process of a project such as this one. With a minor running this, concern already arises with the lack of liability on you, the runner, never-the-less the available capital needed to ensure that the project can be fulfilled, god forbid things go wrong. Some more time should be taken to consider the appropriate means.

Running with a vendor would've been a far better choice with a release of this scale.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 September 2022, 23:53:00 by armani_ »

Offline Ram

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 00:08:44 »

You are 16 also

Tone down the profit

So if 25% of the unit sale price is there in order to find a loophole with Stripe, then will that amount held be reimbursed to buyers after fulfillment?

It's a decent chunk of the boards cost down the drain for the buyer, that of which is quite avoidable by building a trusted repertoire with Shopify or PayPal, or by releasing the project with someone with actual experience.

To be blunt:
I don't think a child should be part of the fulfillment nor payment process of a project such as this one. With a minor running this, concern already arises with the lack of liability on you, the runner, never-the-less the available capital needed to ensure that the project can be fulfilled, god forbid things go wrong. Some more time should be taken to consider the appropriate means.

Running with a vendor would've been a far better choice with a release of this scale.

Hey, as a response to this, stripes hold was more a reason why I couldn't cut significantly but not why the price was so high, and to your point I totally understand that. I have 20k in my company that came directly from arch that both funded this project and is acting as a buffer in case things go wrong. Either way though I'm getting the message overall, people do not trust me to run as a vendor so I'll be exploring my options there, though there's a huge sunk cost on my own investments if I do so.

Offline panka

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 02:13:18 »
split lshift, iso, alps, at least on the pcb. thats pretty much it, its a very nice project, wish i had the money to buy this. (please make the files public after the gb so i can print it lol)

Offline WhensRamen

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 08:49:34 »
split lshift, iso, alps, at least on the pcb. thats pretty much it, its a very nice project, wish i had the money to buy this. (please make the files public after the gb so i can print it lol)

I'm in a similar boat. Wish I could afford this atm as I really love the layout.  Ram, are you intended on releasing the files publicly at some point?  If so I'll grab a PCB + Plate, but it would be nice to have confirmation of your intent with your files before that. Thanks and great job.

Offline butre

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 10:32:01 »
I can't do that price on an unknown runner putting out a weird board but good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you bring us

Offline Ram

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 11:07:38 »
Will be talking to vendors.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: [GB] What in the **** Board
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 13:56:49 »

I can get having reservations about someone young and inexperienced running a GB, but y'all be out for blood. I don't think it's at all a good idea for a 16 year old to run a GB, but that doesn't mean y'all gotta crucify him :/
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Ram

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 14:15:15 »
Show Image

I can get having reservations about someone young and inexperienced running a GB, but y'all be out for blood. I don't think it's at all a good idea for a 16 year old to run a GB, but that doesn't mean y'all gotta crucify him :/

Yeah... The whole point of the disclosure was for you to make your own decision rather than bash me for it. In terms of inexperience and lack of liability that especially pissed me off though, I've also ran GMK Arch though with a vendor and I spent 7k of my own money on this proj, putting 20k on the line too for liability.

Offline Timbersawdust

• aka snorlax
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 16:31:50 »
Show Image

You’re right, but most of the concerning comments are not about the age. It’s about the price.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 17:50:22 »
Show Image

You’re right, but most of the concerning comments are not about the age. It’s about the price.

I did not say Anything about the ram age , I have learned much in the  Reign of The Treeleaf     The keyboard is much harder to run than a GMK keycap with vendor. '

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 22:26:19 »
this GB has other issues but i will mention elton was running duck keyboard GBs way back when, while being an even younger teenager than this GB runner

hope this works out, glwgb
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 08 September 2022, 07:10:15 »
Show Image

I won’t go into full details, but having gone through the quoting process for a board of similar size, the price is not actually that unrealistic. If it’s manufactured in China, and the designer is in the US, there’s a 35% tariff on the factory cost that one has to incorporate.

It’s an unevenly enforced tariff, which means that awareness of it is rather poor. And some GBs luck out and avoid getting charged. But that’s not something anyone should be counting on in pricing a board.

Offline scott_mk

• Formerly kayne
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 08 September 2022, 22:34:45 »
LETS GOOOOO

forklift certified.

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 02:40:10 »
This is really damn cool! GLWB.
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline panka

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 10:04:18 »
Show Image

I won’t go into full details, but having gone through the quoting process for a board of similar size, the price is not actually that unrealistic. If it’s manufactured in China, and the designer is in the US, there’s a 35% tariff on the factory cost that one has to incorporate.

It’s an unevenly enforced tariff, which means that awareness of it is rather poor. And some GBs luck out and avoid getting charged. But that’s not something anyone should be counting on in pricing a board.

i agree, the board isnt all that unfairly priced, i think people dont realize that this is significantly larger than even a full size
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2022, 10:16:38 by panka »

Offline Ram

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 13:34:59 »
Thank you NoPun and Panda for sharing that, the size on its own is a key factor, my Manu had to specifically buy oversize billets for it. 22in long isn't even comparable to even full size which is normally around 17.5". In terms of talking to vendors the decision to not work with a separate vendor has now been finalized, especially since stripe has removed that 25% hold because of my appeal. Remember that these boards will be fulfilled by another KB Vendor, it's not just a random fulfiller who knows nothing about MK.

In short,

My place here is the organizer, marketer, and seller. Manufacturers are the same Rama and other high-end brands use, fulfillment is with an established vendor(Keyspensory), and payment goes through the same channels as any other vendor as well. I've filed and organized an LLC, DBA, have a CAL Seller's Permit as well as my own funds on the line for liability. The only thing here that differentiates me from another vendor is my age, and like I've mentioned before this project wasn't made with "daddy's money" it was made with mine and I have every reason to make sure this is successful. redacted because of pricing change

With everything set in place I'll leave the GB in limbo until the 14th to gather more feedback, then go ahead and start it if nothing else needs to be addressed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 September 2022, 17:58:54 by Ram »

Offline Soums

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 14:36:18 »
Thank you NoPun and Panda for sharing that, the size on its own is a key factor, my Manu had to specifically buy oversize billets for it. 22in long isn't even comparable to even full size which is normally around 17.5". In terms of talking to vendors the decision to not work with a separate vendor has now been finalized, especially since stripe has removed that 25% hold because of my appeal. Remember that these boards will be fulfilled by another KB Vendor, it's not just a random fulfiller who knows nothing about MK.

In short,

My place here is the organizer, marketer, and seller. Manufacturers are the same Rama and other high-end brands use, fulfillment is with an established vendor(Keyspensory), and payment goes through the same channels as any other vendor as well. I've filed and organized an LLC, DBA, have a CAL Seller's Permit as well as my own funds on the line for liability. The only thing here that differentiates me from another vendor is my age, and like I've mentioned before this project wasn't made with "daddy's money" it was made with mine and I have every reason to make sure this is successful. I've attached a spread showing my price breakdown as well. I added in 50$ for INTL Freight, 20$ for Domestic Freight between Factories, and 8$ for Screws in that pricing, the rest is noted all in the spread. A 32% profit margin isn't insane and ensures I have room for covering defects. NOTE That I only factored in costs directly related to the kit for that calc, things under Dif product names weren't included, I just didn't move them out of the way.

Show Image

With everything set in place I'll leave the GB in limbo until the 14th to gather more feedback, then go ahead and start it if nothing else needs to be addressed.

These seem like some crazy high margins my guy. Even considering defects etc 32% is kinda insane. Also if you are going into the specific numbers just better to include all indirect/direct costs, tariffs etc
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2022, 14:48:25 by Soums »
Filco Zero Camo TKL | HHKB Professional 2 | KMAC 2 | KMAC Pad | LZ RE | LZ XE | LZ REs | Koala | Ottantaquattro | Dodici | Kohaku | Nue

Looking for:
LZ SE 
LZ S

Offline Ram

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 21:13:26 »

In short,

My place here is the organizer, marketer, and seller. Manufacturers are the same Rama and other high-end brands use, fulfillment is with an established vendor(Keyspensory), and payment goes through the same channels as any other vendor as well. I've filed and organized an LLC, DBA, have a CAL Seller's Permit as well as my own funds on the line for liability. The only thing here that differentiates me from another vendor is my age, and like I've mentioned before this project wasn't made with "daddy's money" it was made with mine and I have every reason to make sure this is successful. I've attached a spread showing my price breakdown as well. I added in 50$ for INTL Freight, 20$ for Domestic Freight between Factories, and 8$ for Screws in that pricing, the rest is noted all in the spread. A 32% profit margin isn't insane and ensures I have room for covering defects. NOTE That I only factored in costs directly related to the kit for that calc, things under Dif product names weren't included, I just didn't move them out of the way.

Show Image

These seem like some crazy high margins my guy. Even considering defects etc 32% is kinda insane. Also if you are going into the specific numbers just better to include all indirect/direct costs, tariffs etc

Entirely get that, I spent the afternoon moving around numbers and integrating some pre-spent costs into the margin, pricing will be updated with sizable cuts.

Offline Ram

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 21:19:27 »
Kit Price adjusted to $650

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
Re: [GB] What in the **** Board | Sept 16 - Oct 14
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 10 September 2022, 00:00:13 »
 :blank:
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 10 September 2022, 00:37:33 »
wow 25% off coupon very nice deal

Offline Ram

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 10 September 2022, 00:55:32 »
wow 25% off coupon very nice deal
had my calendar messed up didn't know the 16th was Black Friday

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 21:53:09 »

In short,

Show Image

In many industries a 32% margin on this sort of specialized, low-volume, high-effort product would be quite low. This is not a commodity where you can compete on low margin due to economies of scale. Even in significantly more mass produced categories 30% is just 'high' and not crazy, and for this sort of niche 40 to 50% would not be out of the ordinary.

I suppose it comes down to if you believe that all of this should be done as some sort of passion project or if you think people should be able to create products for hobbyists as a living.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2022, 21:59:04 by cthalupa »

Offline Ram

Re: [GB] What in the **** Board | Updated Pricing |Sept 16 - Oct 14
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 11:04:56 »
GB Officially Live!

Offline SilfurSol

Re: [GB] What in the **** Board | Updated Pricing |Sept 16 - Oct 14 GB Live!
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 16:22:42 »
I am not personally interested in the board but this is a really nice job you did there and I am sorry you were belittled for your age. In my opinion your efforts and your thoroughness are exemplary and I'm shocked the age disclaimer is met with such disdain when it deserves quite the praises. GLWGB !

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 17:23:14 »
keyboard of my nightmares. Plus that price? yikers. dont see this one going over well.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 17 September 2022, 15:21:43 »
IMO you shouldn't run a group buy until you're 18. Sit on this design, keep refining your talents and come back again in a couple of years. It's not worth the stress for you or the people who spend money on this project.

Offline xeqozsand

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 25 September 2022, 18:12:40 »
Hello, This is a great project.

If you dont mind, i really wanna see another version.

To cut the macro keys at right out and make it symmetry.
Yeah I need that :)

Thx

Offline Ram

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 25 September 2022, 22:33:11 »
Hello, This is a great project.

If you dont mind, i really wanna see another version.

To cut the macro keys at right out and make it symmetry.
Yeah I need that :)

Thx

Noted  :) (though as niche as it is I don't see myself doing another run)

WK 1 Sold Units:

29/100 Kits
19/100 Wrist Rests

Sales are a bit lower than expected but I've talked to my manus and depending on the final sales + extras may be able to achieve a lower moq while maintaining prices as a worst case scenario. Though as always if we don't meet all will be refunded in full Incl transaction fees.

Offline Ram

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 15 October 2022, 00:26:08 »
End of GB Update:

Keeping it open till Monday but

Wrist Rest MOQ Not Met, All orders containing it have been refunded in full for the cost + tax.

Case Manu has agreed to produce at half MOQ while maintaining the price which is what we've met.

PCB Manu & Packaging Manu have also agreed but I'm in the process of negotiating prices to ensure there's no hiccups down the line if we go through with this.

In any case if things fall through all orders will be refunded in full, and if not I'll keep everyone posted through the rest of the process.

Thank you guys for all the support!

Offline Ram

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 13:26:59 »
Already emailed everyone who bought but:

GB is moving forward!

Manus and fabs have been paid(though I'm taking a sizable loss) and we'll move forward without a hitch.

Offline kbsomarks

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 28 October 2022, 01:47:40 »

GB is moving forward!

Manus and fabs have been paid(though I'm taking a sizable loss) and we'll move forward without a hitch.

That sucks  :( i suggest you don't write your age next time, not many people will trust teenagers. Show through your actions that you can fulfill to a good standard instead I reckon.

Offline Ram

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 28 October 2022, 14:12:34 »

GB is moving forward!

That sucks  :( i suggest you don't write your age next time, not many people will trust teenagers. Show through your actions that you can fulfill to a good standard instead I reckon.

Yeah I wrote it for transparency's sake and since I'd thought morally that people should know who they're giving their money to. But I saw more harassment and nitpicking than actual responses to it, I plan on leaving the hobby after this GB but if I don't that's definitely the move.

Side Note: Packaging Already got Produced and is sitting at my case Manu's warehouse
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 October 2022, 19:13:48 by Ram »