Author Topic: Massdrop x Geekhack  (Read 185115 times)

Offline Bigpock

Re: Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:24:58 »
crazy... imav said 15k takes it now and then backed out on his deal. Hard to pass up more money I guess. Zeal even offered 30k final...

Massdelay buys site. Gg....

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #251 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:26:44 »
crazy... imav said 15k takes it now and then backed out on his deal. Hard to pass up more money I guess. Zeal even offered 30k final...

Whats the difference between Zeal and Massdrop?

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #252 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:28:31 »
who knows im just here to complain, ive been afk since i moved into other money pit hobbies like drinking expensive beer

Offline gt1989

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:28:52 »

It doesn't matter much to me, but there was that whole thing with input club that pissed some people off.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:29:12 »
who knows im just here to complain, ive been afk since i moved into other money pit hobbies like drinking expensive beer

hah, nice. expensive beer is good.

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:32:34 »
I guess i just don't care much for massdelay, and yea expensive beer is nice. I pass it through my mouth and yada yada yada in the toilet. Crazy

Offline man

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 23:36:35 »
meh who cares

i'm on board 100% :thumb:

Offline manitoid

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 00:01:23 »

2 or 3 zeros probably.

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #258 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 00:14:04 »

It doesn't matter much to me, but there was that whole thing with input club that pissed some people off.

i like halo switches as much as the next person, but i dont think you can reasonably act like they own the blame on how that went down. that whole thing was a ****show. i respect the IC guys a lot, but i think is disingenuous to act like they dont wear some of the fault in how that fell apart.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #259 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 04:26:12 »

It seems like most people don't realize it or ignore it, but Massdrop _is_ a data company (just like most new companies in the tech business).

It gets treated as a storefront or a platform for selling niche items. Kind of like Amazon, but slower and smaller. But Amazon is a data company too: it became been successful _because_ of the recommendation system based on customer behavior analysis.

Massdrop gets lots of data about customer demand and behavior.

Sounds unlikely? Well, who would have thought a dildo startup (WeVibe) could have been mining users' data? Meanwhile, Massdrop isn't even a 'product' company, they're a marketing business (note: marketing != advertising).

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 06:44:04 »
really getting tired of this whole thing now... several people trying to capitalize on the drama which was only hyped up to drama but isn't actual drama... it's tiring and disappointing and only motivating me to be more active here on gh a bit more now again

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 10:34:38 »
really getting tired of this whole thing now... several people trying to capitalize on the drama which was only hyped up to drama but isn't actual drama... it's tiring and disappointing and only motivating me to be more active here on gh a bit more now again

Agree. It's so silly. I should have guesses some dumb drama would pop off when this thread went over surprisingly smoothly though.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline kemal

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 13:36:21 »
I'll start a "Why I hate Massdrop" thread and see if it gets pinned.  Just kidding.  MD will be under the microscope so any chutzpa will set of a bazillion crap detectors.

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 14:54:05 »
I bought an arrows kit from SA Carbon from MD. Turns out it was missing an arrow. I messaged MD via their website, and they did a really great job in getting me out a replacement key. I know it is just one transaction, but I was happy. Enough so that I spent $6k on keysets from MD in the past few months.

Also, to be honest, I find the interface for GH to be atrocious. The threads and topics are organized well - but that is honestly the only thing that makes this better than /r/mk. This kind of forum style is quite old and outdated. I guess what I am saying is that I cannot stand SMF. Another forum I go to also uses SMF and I hate it. However I am not that angry, as I don't know enough to offer an alternative. Maybe SMF can be configured enough for my liking, but I haven't seen it.
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:23:50 »
Also, to be honest, I find the interface for GH to be atrocious. The threads and topics are organized well - but that is honestly the only thing that makes this better than /r/mk. This kind of forum style is quite old and outdated. I guess what I am saying is that I cannot stand SMF. Another forum I go to also uses SMF and I hate it. However I am not that angry, as I don't know enough to offer an alternative. Maybe SMF can be configured enough for my liking, but I haven't seen it.

I'm potentially biased because I find Reddit to be atrocious but for what it is, it works well enough. I wouldn't mind a bit of a revamp, but the core has to remain - where else are you going to find a GB thread from 4 years ago that was bumped with relevant information other than here (or potentially on DT, they could do it there too if they wanted)? That kind of approach has to remain even if they touch up the visuals and functionality here and there.

Offline zslane

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:01:14 »
MassDrop has a dedicated portal site to their group buying system, their discussion chains, surveys, and designer spotlight areas. It is called www.massdrop.com. That is the site where they exercise complete administrative and editorial control, and even then, they seriously balk at banning users and other such policing behavior, and only do so after long and dire consideration. There is no need or incentive for MassDrop to exert the same kind of control over GH just because they own it. Will seems to understand that GH is a different beast than massdrop.com and that it essentially "runs itself" with its existing mod staff.

That's why I don't expect anything to change in terms of policy or editorial control. The cynics who fear the "ramifications" and "implications" are certainly free to bury themselves in their own neuroses, but it seems to me far more rational to wait for actual transgressions to occur before wagging a disapproving finger in MassDrop's direction. Everything else is just fearmongering for the sake of stirring up drama.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:45:46 »
I bought an arrows kit from SA Carbon from MD. Turns out it was missing an arrow. I messaged MD via their website, and they did a really great job in getting me out a replacement key. I know it is just one transaction, but I was happy. Enough so that I spent $6k on keysets from MD in the past few months.
How is this even relevant to the topic at hand.

You _bought_ a product, the seller messed up but fixed the order, that should be a matter of course (ahem, apparently not for Massdrop).

This is an entirely different relationship though.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #267 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:54:58 »
How is this even relevant to the topic at hand.

It's relevant because it shows Madddrops's customer service focused approach to their community, which I can echo is stellar. Which isn't the status quo for many companies, and Massdrop stands out for it. They have always demonstrated a focus on their community, especially in the face of being a platform that can't make everyone happy. I think grizzly_teddy's post's relevance is not only crystal clear, but also important for people to keep in mind with the amount of fear mongering this thread has seen. And especially with negative and antagonistic posts like yours.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #268 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:00:03 »
Are you going to applaud Massdrop for _not_ committing fraud?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #269 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:02:37 »

...You should be in politics with this kind of statement.  They deal in sensationalizing and dealing with double negatives, and all that non-constructive discourse to win popularity contests and make points, and turn everything inside out.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

« Reply #270 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:05:57 »

I applaud them for conducting business in a way that is user focused, not shareholder focused. I applaud them for always doing everything in their power to help me have the best experience, and to address any issues that have come up (even those they weren't responsible for) in a way that is in my best interest regardless of the cost to them. I applaud them for continuing to prove to me they are an ethical company that demonstrates good business practice. And I applaud them for stepping up so we don't have to worry about what this community would turn into if it was bought by a faceless revenue focused web-ad company.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:49:00 »
You clearly have pretty low standards, if simply adhering to the contract (delivering ordered goods) is enough to earn praise.

Anyway, the thread is about Massdrop running Geekhack, not selling stuff, and so I don't dig into that here. Massdrop has won the Deskthority  *Ping* Award twice: in 2017 and before that in 2015. In particular, there's been one issue closely related to ethics—since the early days of Massdrop.

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:54:45 »
You clearly have pretty low standards, if simply adhering to the contract (delivering ordered goods) is enough to earn praise.

Anyway, the thread is about Massdrop running Geekhack, not selling stuff, and so I don't dig into that here.

You aren't really understanding what I'm saying are you? I'm going to try and keep this really concise for you to digest the concept:

Massdrop goes above and beyond just 'delivering ordered goods' by prioritizing their community above all else. This user-focused approach speaks toward them being excellent owners of the geekhack community.

I will even TL:DR this for you if that was too many words, so you don't continue to miss the point:
Massdrop is user-focused. Thus their priority for geekhack is likely going to be geekhack's community.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:58:19 »
Anyway, the thread is about Massdrop running Geekhack

Massdrop will run the server and provide tech support assistance.  geekhack will "run" geekhack.  Please read the into post and all the Q&A for more details.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 18:04:36 »
Massdrop goes above and beyond just 'delivering ordered goods' by prioritizing their community above all else. This user-focused approach speaks toward them being excellent owners of the geekhack community.
I could list quite a few cases (be it from the Massdrama site or elsewhere) as counterexamples.

If you pay them for an ErgoDox, they ship you two right sides, you complain and they ship you another right side, that's one thing. But here you don't buy stuff from them… you discuss it, while they (or their business partners) want you to buy stuff.

Anyway, the thread is about Massdrop running Geekhack
Massdrop will run the server and provide tech support assistance.  geekhack will "run" geekhack.  Please read the into post and all the Q&A for more details.
Yes, and there are two main concerns:
  • data on Massdrop's server
  • possible bias, due to Massdrop being the breadwinner
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 18:06:54 by davkol »

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 18:13:09 »
I could list quite a few cases (be it from the Massdrama site or elsewhere) as counterexamples.

If you pay them for an ErgoDox, they ship you two right sides, you complain and they ship you another right side, that's one thing. But here you don't buy stuff from them… you discuss it, while they (or their business partners) want you to buy stuff.

You can't offer a counterexample when I never posed an initial example to be countered.

I was really trying to stress in my posts that I was explaining my experience with them, which has been one of the best I have had as a consumer. I'm sure a lot of people have had bad experiences. I believe more have not. And I don't think anyone believes Massdrop isn't looking to boost their profitability through this acquisition, but I don't think it's going to be through underhanded or questionable means, I don't think they are going to abuse their ownership. Everything they have shown me as a member of their community, and as a consumer of their "product" is that they are a community minded business that is run and operated by enthusiasts and collectors; community members just like us that genuinely care about the communities they are a part of.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 18:16:02 »
Yes, and there are two main concerns:
  • data on Massdrop's server
  • possible bias, due to Massdrop being the breadwinner

Seeing as they are an actual company, you can hold them to a higher standard of managing your data than the individual you knew nothing about for all these years and did not really wonder what he was doing with your data up to a week ago.  Would you rather have an actual legal team look into what needs to go into the website upgrades to make it more or fully compatible with the current data protection rules or not?  We were not going to have that happen until now.

Honestly I understand the various concerns, but all the "what ifs" jumping to some fatalistic conclusions are just the initial panic and fear mongering.  Some individuals are acting like we got taken over by a third world dictatorship who will put every individual (out of thousands of users) under strict surveillance and will use your data against you. 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #277 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 18:40:49 »
You're right that someone's server in the basement (hyperbole) is potentially risky (I mean, I remember the r00tworm too). At the same time, though, the data is directly interesting to Massdrop (market research at the minimum), and do I trust them? I've linked the ToS discussion at Deskthority for a reason.

The other point concerning bias should be discussed in order to set transparent moderation rules (that in my personal experience haven't been in place even beforehand). I've mentioned (either here or at DT) the notorious issues at certain high-profile audio forums, and some people have noted how Massdrop got rid of their "vaping" section (thus, for example, tighter moderation in the off-topic subforum isn't unimaginable).

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 18:48:22 »
You're right that someone's server in the basement (hyperbole) is potentially risky (I mean, I remember the r00tworm too). At the same time, though, the data is directly interesting to Massdrop (market research at the minimum), and do I trust them? I've linked the ToS discussion at Deskthority for a reason.

I would imagine most of the data Massdrop actually wants is already publicly accessible. 

The other point concerning bias should be discussed in order to set transparent moderation rules (that in my personal experience haven't been in place even beforehand). I've mentioned (either here or at DT) the notorious issues at certain high-profile audio forums, and some people have noted how Massdrop got rid of their "vaping" section (thus, for example, tighter moderation in the off-topic subforum isn't unimaginable).

Have you seen this Q&A compilation from this morning?  It explicitly answers this very concern:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96513.0

Q: Will vendors or individuals who advertise platforms that seek to compete directly with Massdrop in the mechanical keyboard space see any pushback, or will any initiative be allowed here?

A: The geekhack marketplace will remain an independent community-run section where any vendor or individual can post. Massdrop won't interfere in who can and can't obtain vendor status.

. . .

Q: Will Massdrop agree to yield to the existing administration and moderation team with regards to changes to the forum's structure or rules, or will you reserve the right to change anything at any time if unilaterally deemed necessary?

A: Short answer is yes. Long answer is, there are laws and regulations by which we must abide, that perhaps an independent forum owner would risk ignoring. If some law/regulation, like GDPR (which we’ll be making a longer post about in the weeks ahead) requires we change something about the forum, we have to comply.

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 18:55:22 »
Question: I assume that in some capacity Massdrop uses its experience to facilitate, in some way, small or large, group buys thought up or initiated by people who have never done one before, or with vendors individuals may not know how to deal with. If that assumption is accurate, would Massdrop use that expertise to assist group buy organizers in working with vendors/etc for group buys that are not a good fit for Massdrop, or which users would not want to run on Massdrop?

i.e.  Joe Shmoe wants to run a group buy for *thing that only 30 people want as shown via an Interest check*, Joe has an idea who makes it, but doesn't know where to go from there.

I presume this is what is functionally happening when users on Massdrop use the 'Poll' feature to register interest in products.
keyboards

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 19:15:20 »
I would imagine most of the data Massdrop actually wants is already publicly accessible.
There's a difference between direct access to the database and having to scrap the website (and you can't scrap pms).

Have you seen this Q&A compilation from this morning?  It explicitly answers this very concern:
Yes, that's a public announcement for now. Call me cynical, but do you think I believe it? I've seen too many acquisitions to take those seriously.

Besides, it addresses explicit direct action, not individual moderators' bias. I've seen/had posts redacted/removed, because a mod didn't like them for personal reasons, and this adds a new set of similar reasons. There hasn't been a transparent policy up thus far and now there's another reason why it might be an issue.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #281 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 20:32:35 »
At the end of the day massdrop has far, far more to lose than the geekhack(keyboard) community by buying this website. Those that continue to immaturely stamp their feet and whine on the forums are simply those that don't understand what leverage and or business are.  I love and hate this community because it's homogeneously intermingled with so many that understand this, and many who don't and therefore feel compelled to "die on the sword" of keyboards (lmao) while acting like this is their one chance to make a difference in the world.

It's plastic- and you're buying it, you always have... and don't act like Massdrop is stopping you from doing that.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #282 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 21:10:36 »
There's a difference between direct access to the database and having to scrap the website (and you can't scrap pms).

Yes, that's a public announcement for now. Call me cynical, but do you think I believe it? I've seen too many acquisitions to take those seriously.

Besides, it addresses explicit direct action, not individual moderators' bias. I've seen/had posts redacted/removed, because a mod didn't like them for personal reasons, and this adds a new set of similar reasons. There hasn't been a transparent policy up thus far and now there's another reason why it might be an issue.
Just leave geekhack if this is going to be an endless cycle of skepticism. You have no control over the situation; the transaction is complete. Just let the schism happen so everyone can go back to caring about keyboards; wherever they want. It happened when  ripster was banned and erased and it's happening again now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #283 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 00:25:41 »
This change in ownership should affect a 0% change in your GH experience.

That said, GH won’t remain the same forever, it shouldn’t. Communities are organic, they grow, they evolve. The key from our point of view is to support that growth, rather than direct that growth. We’re working with the mod team and dedicated community members to learn more about where the community is headed and what we can do as owners to facilitate that growth. Rest assured, any notable changes will be the result of community supported initiatives, not the will of some distant actor. 

Massdrop does way more than keyboards...  and is a corporate entity.  Sorry, that means that this community is no longer organic nor community-run.  This makes geekhack a much less interesting place to be for me.  There's many alternatives and despite wanting to start another group buy in the near future, it probably won't be here, as my last one was. 

WTF?!   Booooooooo.

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 08:56:08 »

I'm potentially biased because I find Reddit to be atrocious but for what it is, it works well enough. I wouldn't mind a bit of a revamp, but the core has to remain - where else are you going to find a GB thread from 4 years ago that was bumped with relevant information other than here (or potentially on DT, they could do it there too if they wanted)? That kind of approach has to remain even if they touch up the visuals and functionality here and there.

Yeah see, I don't like that idea that a 4 year old post goes to the top. That is a poor user experience, especially for a new user who doesn't know how relevant that post is. I posted a more detailed explanation in the other MassdropxGeekhack thread.
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 09:03:50 »

I know your comment wasn't directly at me - but no that is not the point. The point is that they owned their mistake and took care of it: immediately.  They didn't give me a hard time, they didn't take 10 days to get back to me. That is good customer service. That is what I am saying. And how did they even get an extra key for me? They either had to have had purchased extras themselves, or have such a good relationship with SP that SP was able to produce it right away and send it. Either case shows that they took ownership of a mistake - and even planned ahead in case that mistake would happen.

I know they messed up with the Ergodox and some other drops, but I think it is evident that they are in general doing a really good job and trying to do better.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:52:33 »
To toss in my 2 cents after some further discussion has taken place here:
I think the worst thing for this community is fragmentation.  I can certainly understand the frustration and concern, but I don't see why we can't just wait and see.  Speaking for myself and presumably the rest of the mod team as well, we won't exactly sit idly by while Massdrop (potentially, in these worst-case-scenario theories) ruins the forum.  We are not owned by Massdrop and I'm not afraid to speak out at any point.  I value this community much more than anything that MD could (potentially, again) take from me by doing so.  Yeah, this is a huge change to the forum, and we should be alert.  But I think it is absolutely too soon to start splintering off and creating new pockets of community. 

Yeah see, I don't like that idea that a 4 year old post goes to the top. That is a poor user experience, especially for a new user who doesn't know how relevant that post is. I posted a more detailed explanation in the other MassdropxGeekhack thread.

It's not really a poor user experience, it sounds more like a misalignment of goals.  Sites like reddit are intended to show you the hottest, newest content as rapidly as possible.  This makes for a very poor user experience if you're hoping to have an ongoing discussion and develop an idea/project from start to finish, but a great user experience if you want to see the latest things being discussed.  A niche hobbyist forum like geekhack would be essentially useless if it followed that format, since the idea is to continue discussions for potentially years at a time, especially in project-based threads.  Not to mention media threads where you have an entire catalog of posts from the beginning, at your fingertips - no need to search for all the nice Clack pics or anything like that. 

Anyway, this is a philosophical discussion that doesn't really have a conclusion, it all comes down to preferences and intent.  ;)

(I'm assuming your comment was more directed at GB-type threads, in which case yes there is absolutely room for improvement, but I don't think it requires an overhaul of the entire forum structure)

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 15:52:24 »
To toss in my 2 cents after some further discussion has taken place here:
I think the worst thing for this community is fragmentation.  I can certainly understand the frustration and concern, but I don't see why we can't just wait and see.  Speaking for myself and presumably the rest of the mod team as well, we won't exactly sit idly by while Massdrop (potentially, in these worst-case-scenario theories) ruins the forum.  We are not owned by Massdrop and I'm not afraid to speak out at any point.  I value this community much more than anything that MD could (potentially, again) take from me by doing so.  Yeah, this is a huge change to the forum, and we should be alert.  But I think it is absolutely too soon to start splintering off and creating new pockets of community. 

It's not really a poor user experience, it sounds more like a misalignment of goals.  Sites like reddit are intended to show you the hottest, newest content as rapidly as possible.  This makes for a very poor user experience if you're hoping to have an ongoing discussion and develop an idea/project from start to finish, but a great user experience if you want to see the latest things being discussed.  A niche hobbyist forum like geekhack would be essentially useless if it followed that format, since the idea is to continue discussions for potentially years at a time, especially in project-based threads.  Not to mention media threads where you have an entire catalog of posts from the beginning, at your fingertips - no need to search for all the nice Clack pics or anything like that. 

Anyway, this is a philosophical discussion that doesn't really have a conclusion, it all comes down to preferences and intent.  ;)

(I'm assuming your comment was more directed at GB-type threads, in which case yes there is absolutely room for improvement, but I don't think it requires an overhaul of the entire forum structure)

PREACH! I'm certainly not gonna spend time on that other feed, sticking with gh!

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 16:02:36 »

A niche hobbyist forum like geekhack would be essentially useless if it followed that format, since the idea is to continue discussions for potentially years at a time, especially in project-based threads.

I don't think that GeekHack should be exactly like Reddit - but that Group buys and long running posts need to be better segregated from new posts. I guess that's all it boils down to for me.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 16:39:30 »

A niche hobbyist forum like geekhack would be essentially useless if it followed that format, since the idea is to continue discussions for potentially years at a time, especially in project-based threads.

I don't think that GeekHack should be exactly like Reddit - but that Group buys and long running posts need to be better segregated from new posts. I guess that's all it boils down to for me.

Yep, makes good sense to me - I certainly don't disagree.  :thumb:  Could really use an overhaul of the GB subforum, it's long overdue at this point.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 06:10:56 »
I drop out for a little while, and look what happens to the place! :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 06:44:12 »
I drop out for a little while, and look what happens to the place! :eek:

Oh **** i completly forgot about this. Was some sweet sweet drama.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 15:19:13 »
Please remember: this thread is not a feedback thread on Massdrop performance on Massdrop.com.  Massdrop runs Massdrop.com.  This site is moderated by geekhack moderators who are selected from the site community.

For feedback on Massdrop as a vendor, please go here:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81718.0  or directly to Massdrop discussion forums.

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #293 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 15:45:02 »
Please remember: this thread is not a feedback thread on Massdrop performance on Massdrop.com.  Massdrop runs Massdrop.com.  This site is moderated by geekhack moderators who are selected from the site community.

For feedback on Massdrop as a vendor, please go here:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81718.0  or directly to Massdrop discussion forums.

I object to the decision to remove the entire discussion from this thread for the reason stated.

The discussion related to how Massdrop relates to a part of the geekhack community. This thread is about Massdrop's purchase of geekhack.

Further, the discussion was a follow-up to a comment I made on the page one. If my original comment wasn't off topic, I'm not sure why it is now.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #294 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 15:54:34 »

I object to the decision to remove the entire discussion from this thread for the reason stated.

The discussion related to how Massdrop relates to a part of the geekhack community. This thread is about Massdrop's purchase of geekhack.

Further, the discussion was a follow-up to a comment I made on the page one. If my original comment wasn't off topic, I'm not sure why it is now.

Massdrop is for the foreseeable future keeping geekhack as community-run website with our existing rules and regulations.  If you have a problem with how Massdrop handles its buys and what buys it allows on Massdrop.com, it has nothing to do with how this site is being run.  The most recent posts were a bunch of non-constructive off-topic name calling.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #295 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 16:14:00 »
Mods = communism

Massdrop is for the foreseeable future keeping geekhack as community-run website with our existing rules and regulations.  If you have a problem with how Massdrop handles its buys and what buys it allows on Massdrop.com, it has nothing to do with how this site is being run.  The most recent posts were a bunch of non-constructive off-topic name calling.

Irony.

:p

« Reply #296 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 17:39:07 »
So much salt

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 14:21:10 »
cmon now

I'll try to be optimistic.
But I'll also try to learn Korean.

me n photekq will show you the ways of otd lotto

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 18:03:22 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

« Reply #299 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 18:17:15 »