Author Topic: Avant Prime keyboard  (Read 4414 times)

Offline gorauskas

Avant Prime keyboard
« on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 01:56:06 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Avant Prime keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 00:51:18 »
It's fun to see one of these, but it's too bad they want so much for it ($185.00 opening, and "Reserve not met"). If it were NIB, maybe...
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 16:12:25 »
It's fun to see one of these, but it's too bad they want so much for it ($185.00 opening, and "Reserve not met"). If it were NIB, maybe...

Even nib, I'd pass for the price.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 02:14:37 »
It's important to distinguish this from an Optimus Prime keyboard, too, which transforms into an ice cream truck.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 23:11:01 »
No, no, no, that was Rodimus Prime, which shouldn't be confused with Hippopotamus Prime...   Clearly, I've eaten too much today.  :-\

That seems like a nice board, but that's a pretty extreme price.  It's interesting to see how much the selling prices on these fluctuate--one in November sold for $150 and another in the same month sold for $33--both with boxes.  :-\

Offline khronokrator

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 00:29:24 »
According to Northgate afficionado Mr. Tibbetts, the Avants aren't worth getting, even NIB. They're going to be a cost-cutting rebrand of an actual Omnikey with crummy Alps clone switches.

And apparently there's an issue with the circuitry for the programmable keys which causes them to fail over time.

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 14:21:57 »
That guy relisted it and lowered the price today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avant-Prime-Keyboard/122876390386

Based on the comments below ... Is this still high?  at what price do you recommend I start considering it?    With the OEM for these Avant keyboards being out of business, are these keyboards considered rare?
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 December 2017, 15:21:11 by gorauskas »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 17:18:56 »
I think that the price is high, but if you wanted to do something like swap in orange/salmon springs you might get something really nice.

BigAss enter is not bad with 2u Backspace, it then becomes a matter of whether the messed-up Right Shift is a deal-killer.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 17:56:36 »
Man that really looks like a Northgate.

Offline khronokrator

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 19:37:50 »
Man that really looks like a Northgate.

It's because is *is* a Northgate, or rather a successor company that bought the rights and the manufacturing tools to produce the keyboards after Northgate went out of business.

However, the Avant was of generally inferior quality and exclusively used Alps clone switches, which are mediocre at best compared to the real thing. Also, as I mentioned, there's apparently a known problem with its "programmable" keys wherein the circuitry goes bad. It'd not a difficult fix, but an annoying issue nonetheless.

About the only thing the Avant has going for it is that it produced the only known variant of a Northgate board in matte black, like Model M13 or the rare Focus that Chyrosran is looking for.