Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 182405 times)

Offline Hamel

• KBDLAB
Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #450 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 00:55:35 »
There are a number of keyboards out that have left hand 2 x 5 vertical "function" key cluster. It would be nice if the there were some more ways to leverage the Symbols keys in that cluster.

Right now you could map one cluster of greys (either the I-IV or the hands) to R1/R2 and then a cluster of blues to R4/R4 (assuming the rows of the F column stack align with R1 R2 R3 R4 R4) leaving a gap at R3. The R3 Pageup/down keys cold fill that gap if they are not already in use (and there is a 1u R3 Code key as well), but the symbol set itself is a bit lacking in R3 options.

If the blue cluster could be aligned with R3/R4 as well as R4/R4 it would open up the bottom R4 for 1u mods, though that would probably not be practical. Possibly just 2 blank R3 keys available in the Symbols set would at least give a simple option to fill the stack in a way that wouldn't trigger too much OCD.

Purely selfish since I just signed up for a board that has this particular cluster :-)

TC-V3?  ;)

I've thought about that myself how to cover it. I might look into the Symbols kit again to see if it can cover macro columns better.

I'd would love to see this happen;
TC-V3 is my end game board and it would look fantastic with macro keys with right profile rows!

Some additional icon/novelty keys in R3 would make this kit so much better, since now it only have "III" and "left icon."

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #451 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:01:00 »
So so excited for this set.  I mentioned it to Oblotzky directly, but I think the Ergodox mods need legends.  Especially if they're Lisp programming terms instead of proper legends, I think it suits the tone of this set a lot better than blanks.  Blanks would be cheaper though :D

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #452 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:09:46 »
There are a number of keyboards out that have left hand 2 x 5 vertical "function" key cluster. It would be nice if the there were some more ways to leverage the Symbols keys in that cluster.

Right now you could map one cluster of greys (either the I-IV or the hands) to R1/R2 and then a cluster of blues to R4/R4 (assuming the rows of the F column stack align with R1 R2 R3 R4 R4) leaving a gap at R3. The R3 Pageup/down keys cold fill that gap if they are not already in use (and there is a 1u R3 Code key as well), but the symbol set itself is a bit lacking in R3 options.

If the blue cluster could be aligned with R3/R4 as well as R4/R4 it would open up the bottom R4 for 1u mods, though that would probably not be practical. Possibly just 2 blank R3 keys available in the Symbols set would at least give a simple option to fill the stack in a way that wouldn't trigger too much OCD.

Purely selfish since I just signed up for a board that has this particular cluster :-)

TC-V3?  ;)

I've thought about that myself how to cover it. I might look into the Symbols kit again to see if it can cover macro columns better.

I'd would love to see this happen;
TC-V3 is my end game board and it would look fantastic with macro keys with right profile rows!

Some additional icon/novelty keys in R3 would make this kit so much better, since now it only have "III" and "left icon."

Another vote for left cluster compatibility =)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #453 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:15:15 »
How many boards have that feature? Only ones that come to mind are that board and the VE.A.
Not too familiar with the gajillion boards out now, so not sure whether it would be worth making more keys for just one board.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #454 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:19:00 »
Vea, some redscarf kit, kmac mini and the current Duck GB. And probably some more future GBs as there is at least some demand for such layouts

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #455 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 11:14:06 »
Vea, some redscarf kit, kmac mini and the current Duck GB. And probably some more future GBs as there is at least some demand for such layouts

Oh, that's neat. I wasn't aware.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #456 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 11:25:20 »
Like a Hyper7 kit, I don't expect the vertical function keys, but it'd be a great addition :p

Offline zslane

« Reply #457 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 12:09:38 »
So so excited for this set.  I mentioned it to Oblotzky directly, but I think the Ergodox mods need legends.  Especially if they're Lisp programming terms instead of proper legends, I think it suits the tone of this set a lot better than blanks.  Blanks would be cheaper though :D

There aren't really any special symbols in LISP programming. Lisp Machine Lisp/ZetaLisp only used a handful of non-alphanumeric symbols, and all of them--with the exception of the circled x--are standard ANSI punctuation characters. The Greek and other odd symbols were for typing mathematical texts, not programming.

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #458 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 12:38:27 »

Because it is the layout used by the Model F keyboard for the original IBM PC it does seem to re-occur as a design element.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #459 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 12:46:16 »

Because it is the layout used by the Model F keyboard for the original IBM PC it does seem to re-occur as a design element.

Model F didn't start it. That layout has been used before.
I just wasn't aware there were custom keyboards nowadays that use it. It's useful for sure, but, as I mentioned, I wasn't aware of many. Then again, I haven't been as up-to-par this past year.

Offline Jacob4341

« Reply #460 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 20:38:04 »
Hello. Any way we could get a vim kit either added or ran in parallel with this group buy? The vim kit in SA Symbiosis R2's IC is great but I'd love to see it in this set: https://www.massdrop.com/vote/-IC-SA-Symbiosis-R2?irgwc=1&clickid=UmO2M%3AxLBxYbWZYy5ZyCxRgtUkjypF3AKQj3Rg0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=Skimbit%20Ltd.&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius

Offline keebcat

« Reply #461 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 03:25:14 »
Hiragana now?

Nice bait-n-switch

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #462 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 03:28:02 »
Did I totally miss something, how did this go from Space Cadet to Yet Another Japanese Set? :/

I posted it on the Serika discussion page and I'll say it again - I really wish designers would stop adding Japanese legends to everything just because they can...

Offline M

« Reply #463 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 03:42:46 »
Did I totally miss something, how did this go from Space Cadet to Yet Another Japanese Set? :/

I posted it on the Serika discussion page and I'll say it again - I really wish designers would stop adding Japanese legends to everything just because they can...

this can't be real right? I thought the whole point of "space cadet" was the cool sublegends

Offline johuu

« Reply #464 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 03:49:17 »
Lost interest with japanese legends.

Offline turbosloth

« Reply #465 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 03:58:22 »
I'd assume the sudden change to japanese sublegends are just a bit of a troll.

It would be cool if we could get legends for the Ergopreonic kit like shensmobile suggested. Generally ortho kits seem to do well on buys, so fingers crossed we get some legend love.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #466 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 04:33:23 »
I rather like Hiragana but not on "Space Cadet". I'm assuming it's a joke since the Massdrop page still has the originals.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #467 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 04:43:16 »
Lost interest with japanese legends.

I am at the same with this bro.
My innterest for japanese sub-legend  sharply decreased.
However, I appreciate your this change.
GMK laser and GMK serika are two beautiful sets with  japanese sub-legend in double-shot. After chaning to japanese sublegend, this set use the same mould as the two sets do, which would reduce cost.
 If you remain previous sub-legend, GMK has to create new mould for sub-legend, which would increase cost.
 It is reasonable and understandable.  :thumb:

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #468 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 04:50:13 »
You have done so many renders in rather accurate colors , that is why I always keep eyes  on this set.
Anyway, respect your change and choice.
Is any chance that you would be kind enough to provide only-latin alpha for this set .ThaNK YOU

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #469 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 04:54:16 »
Much trollin'...  :))

Offline apejonk

« Reply #470 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 05:26:23 »
I was actually fooled for a minute.  :-[
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline jihadu

« Reply #471 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 05:41:00 »
Hangul space cadet when??

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #472 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 06:30:47 »
What are you guys on about?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #473 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 06:45:43 »

Offline Petch

« Reply #474 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 08:13:31 »
A grey R2 II, R3 III and R4 IV would be nice to pair with the blue counterparts for boards like vea and duck TC-V3

Offline keebcat

« Reply #475 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 08:19:08 »
Hiragana now?

Nice bait-n-switch

got me good

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #476 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 09:04:59 »
I wonder when this is queue'd up for Massdrop, hopefully next.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #477 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 09:14:15 »
I won't join if there aren't Japanese legends.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #478 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 11:31:37 »
I won't join if there aren't Japanese legends.

Only joining if the ergo kit / norde kit combined w/ base kit so I can throw the keys away easier.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #479 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 12:44:18 »
I wonder when this is queue'd up for Massdrop, hopefully next.

Big O said there would be at least a month in between serika and space cadet, and sometime in q3 is a good estimate. So July earliest, but maybe Aug or even Sept.
keyboards.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #480 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 13:36:26 »
space cadet hiragana best space cadet
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #481 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 13:51:14 »

please dear god no.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #482 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 13:52:30 »
Hiragana > Space Cadet.

Please change the secondary symbols to Hiragana.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #483 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 13:55:31 »

please dear god no.
its okay to be wrong my friend
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #484 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 14:05:36 »

please dear god no.
its okay to be wrong my friend

Well, at least you know that about yourself!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #485 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 14:09:14 »
Hiragana main with the Space Cadet secondaries. Hiragana mono alternative kit instead of that blue thing you have now.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #486 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 14:10:53 »
Hiragana main with the Space Cadet secondaries. Hiragana mono alternative kit instead of that blue thing you have now.

This.

Maybe get rid of the blue completely. I think the all-gray would look better with Hiragana.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #487 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 14:34:20 »
Red Space Cadet with Israeli legends when
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #488 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 16:47:12 »
Can we not complicate the kits/buy and marketing with all these crazy weird combinations/extra additions. This set was a modern interpretation of a classic I'd prefer it just stayed doing that.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #489 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 16:54:39 »

Red Cadet sounds pretty damn cool tbh

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #490 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 17:01:27 »

True.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #491 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 17:22:38 »

True.

Agreed. Alright bois MD buy is canceled, I'll be working with 7bit to bring this to life as Round 8 using ALGOL colors. Colors will be grey, red, green, blue, violett on cream, plus cream on grey, red, green, blue, violett.

Kits will be added to his website soon http://7bit.info/algol/index.html#icons

See you in 2026

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #492 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 17:30:34 »

True.

Show Image

Agreed. Alright bois MD buy is canceled, I'll be working with 7bit to bring this to life as Round 8 using ALGOL colors. Colors will be grey, red, green, blue, violett on cream, plus cream on grey, red, green, blue, violett.

See you in 2026
Show Image

Jokes aside, that's actually dope. It's the superior Red Riot :))

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #493 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 17:38:15 »

True.

Show Image

See you in 2026
Show Image

Okay, now I definitely know this is a joke. There's no way we'd get them as soon as 2026!

Can't fool me...

Offline llisandro

« Reply #494 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 17:57:20 »
In 4 Cosmonaut w Cyrillic sublegends

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #495 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 17:59:36 »
In 4 Cosmonaut w Cyrillic sublegends
Oh, my gosh... It's so amazingly fitting...

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #496 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 18:22:42 »

True.

Show Image

See you in 2026
Show Image

🔥🔥🔥
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 19:14:25 »

True.

Show Image

See you in 2026
Show Image

i know this red is a joke but i would buy it instantly
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline glack23

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 19:45:39 »

True.

Show Image

See you in 2026
Show Image

Round8!!!!! Will SP still be around?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #499 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 03:03:01 »

True.

Show Image

See you in 2026
Show Image

This should be a thing.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram