Author Topic: [CLOSED] SP-111 - Split Southpaw Keyboard  (Read 103894 times)

Offline Uggsy

Re: [GB] SP-111 - Split Southpaw Keyboard - FINAL DAY
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 07:36:27 »
Hey ! Just got mine on Candykeys (just in time)!

So excited for this board, thanks for the beautiful design BlindAssassin  :thumb:

Offline heyjaykay

Re: [CLOSED] SP-111 - Split Southpaw Keyboard
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 12:47:12 »
Interested to see what the numbers are!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 18:51:20 »
Update:

For those who would like to get a different plate, the prototypist carbon fiber buy is open and the ANSI plates are one of the offered options.

Or if you would prefer a different layout, the plate files are now up and you can modify them to the layout you would like.

Plate files: https://github.com/blindassassin111/SP-111_Plate_Files

Still waiting on final numbers from proxies before I make the post with the update.

Offline Cloakedbug

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 19:16:45 »
Did we ever get the final count? Still excited for this.

Offline tectonicplate

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 00:28:18 »
Any extras by chance? If not, maybe a round 2 at some point in the future?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 14:02:09 »
Extras were mentioned on the discord. The key company will tell us when it’s time (summer, prolly)

They run round 2 w different colors, I’m in then too (red?)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:58:24 »
Did we ever get the final count? Still excited for this.

I am so sorry, I guess I missed your comment. Final count was ~200 sold.

Extras were mentioned on the discord. The key company will tell us when it’s time (summer, prolly)

They run round 2 w different colors, I’m in then too (red?)

Any extras by chance? If not, maybe a round 2 at some point in the future?

Extras will be available after GB orders ship, Might be down for an R2 but not sure atm.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 02:52:55 »
In search of a GB spot if someone isn't interested in keeping theirs anymore, Send me PM on Discord derbs#9789

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:37:05 »

Just had a VE.A clone with connectivity issues: maybe I moved the thing around too much, I dunno, but it's got me overthinking. If my SP-111 interconnect gets disconnected, does that bother the connected half? Any benefit to using the sort of disconnect similar to apple's magsafe so I don't inadvertently put tension on the USB-C?

BA111, you're using this board, what do you think?

I am waiting on the second pcb revision to come in to check on this. I changed quite a bit around from the v1 so don't want to comment in case it is different for some reason. They should be here soon.

Update:

GB goes live tomorrow, hope everyone is excited!

Sorry for reviving this old post, but I'm getting really excited for this board. I, too, am concerned about what happens if the slave is disconnected from the master while the master is powered on. Any insight?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:32:55 »
Sorry for reviving this old post, but I'm getting really excited for this board. I, too, am concerned about what happens if the slave is disconnected from the master while the master is powered on. Any insight?

Nothing bad will happen at all, it just removes that half of the board. The master works fine with or without the slave.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:36:05 »

Nothing bad will happen at all, it just removes that half of the board. The master works fine with or without the slave.
Great! Thanks for the response :) I was concerned about electrostatic discharge.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:51:47 »

Great! Thanks for the response :) I was concerned about electrostatic discharge.

Both halves have ESD protection so there shouldn't be any issue with that.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:13:28 »

Both halves have ESD protection so there shouldn't be any issue with that.

Great to know! I really appreciate it!
1 further question - with the sandwich mount, is there any way to isolate the plate vibration? I was thinking like silicone o-rings, but not sure how or what diameter to use.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:18:06 »
Great to know! I really appreciate it!
1 further question - with the sandwich mount, is there any way to isolate the plate vibration? I was thinking like silicone o-rings, but not sure how or what diameter to use.

Only issue would be the USB ports have to lineup with the cutouts and there isn't a ton of room for misalignment. So if you used o-rings you would have to crank it down to compress them and then the plate would probably slap the case. I didn't design it for o-rings to be added on so I wouldn't recommend it but if you want to play with it do so at your own risk.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:26:20 »

Only issue would be the USB ports have to lineup with the cutouts and there isn't a ton of room for misalignment. So if you used o-rings you would have to crank it down to compress them and then the plate would probably slap the case. I didn't design it for o-rings to be added on so I wouldn't recommend it but if you want to play with it do so at your own risk.

Hmm good call-out. I think I may need to cut some foam to put between the plate and PCB, hopefully that will minimize some of the referred vibration.
Thanks!!

Offline POFFINGTON

• Ninja keys...everytime
    • Polycount
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 19:42:45 »

Extras will be available after GB orders ship, Might be down for an R2 but not sure atm.

Round 2 PLS PLS PLS
Keycool 84 (Browns) | Ducky DK9008G2 Pro (Hybrid) | KBC Poker (Black)

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 00:31:56 »
Still searching for a GB spot, Disc: derbs#9789

Offline Bayonett Priest

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 00:48:06 »
small questions! is the late july shipping still on track? and do you have a pic of the pcb? woudl wanna know if i have to clip my tangerines! and can i use Leds?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:50:32 »
small questions! is the late july shipping still on track? and do you have a pic of the pcb? woudl wanna know if i have to clip my tangerines! and can i use Leds?

I believe it is still on track, I don't have pics I can share of the PCB atm but I think it should be from what I know of where everything is atm.

You don't need to clip any switch to work on my PCBs, they always have 5 pin support, but this does not have in switch LEDs.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 19:03:25 »
Any updates?

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 20:39:03 »
On discord this morning, the estimate was:
1. After M0lly
2. 3 weeks to ship to TKC, another month to QC and get em out, so maybe like October

Add in my corollary, which is “all revised estimates are also optimistic themselves” and I think we’re deep into Q4. Honestly I’m just glad it sounds like this year.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 20:51:05 »
On discord this morning, the estimate was:
1. After M0lly
2. 3 weeks to ship to TKC, another month to QC and get em out, so maybe like October

Add in my corollary, which is “all revised estimates are also optimistic themselves” and I think we’re deep into Q4. Honestly I’m just glad it sounds like this year.

Dangggggg. Honestly, it will probably still line up with Dracula for me anyhow lol. Thanks for the update, appreciated.

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 22:30:50 »
In a month we might get pics tho. That’s cool.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 19:12:03 »
Super cool. We will take what we can get  :cool:

Offline AvoidingYou

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 12:47:24 »
Really hoping to snag one of these in black when there's extras!!

Offline Nhilros

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 08:52:52 »
I just want to say, i've been looking for a keyboard like that all my life. I registered on this forum just for it, long time lurker of this place and also /r/mechanicalkeyboard. I need extras or a 2nd run!

Offline ks239395

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 01:41:55 »
Update September 25, 2020 — Got delayed at anodization factory, machined parts oxidized, and now all CNC parts had to be remade.

Sums up 2020 pretty well.   :-X

Offline DaMnED

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 06:46:35 »
Since most parts are machined, this is like starting manufacturing from scratch.... not happening this year then.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2020, 14:35:35 by DaMnED »

Offline Buster69

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 12:49:21 »
Update September 25, 2020 — Got delayed at anodization factory, machined parts oxidized, and now all CNC parts had to be remade.

Sums up 2020 pretty well.   :-X

Where do you get these updates? Brutal news, but thank you for sharing lol.

Hopefully we will get an update with a new ETA

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 13:25:36 »
TKC discord for updates

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 12:44:50 »
Yeah, I would post more updates but they seem to get posted here before I can everytime...plus I am in the same boat of not sure when everything is going to happen.

Offline Cloakedbug

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 19:10:31 »
TKC has closed their product specific Discord channels, including the SP-111 page.
So all of the discussion there about compatibility, accessories, all the excited chats and questions answered are now lost.

This came like a week after they committed to providing weekly updates on the product (because of inordinately extreme delays).
Now we get a single line grouped into the rest of their products that says this:

"SP-111: No update."

To be honest I'm pissed. They have over 60k dollars cash locked away for a year now, they may as well have invested it and are profiting off it for all the clarity we are being shown.
Can @BlindAssassin111 or anyone who knows TKC staff ask them for some real accountability here?

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 19:50:58 »
TKC can’t get their fulfillment center Prep Kanga to get switches shipped out in inside of a month to where ordering from Singapore/Ilumkb via singpost is the same price and now faster to Houston, and they have been nothing but apologists for terrible service to where I wouldn’t believe much from them anyways. If they were going to show accountability, it would have been on fruit switches months ago vs coordinating boards w multiple teams/factories.

Logistics are hard, harder during Covid, and decent people occasionally sign bad deals. Ok. But what I really abhor is the passing of bad information: keyreactive saying KAT sets this month are gonna ship in 28 weeks when sets from months ago are currently 40 weeks and they haven’t been on time yet, Drop saying GMK Kanji was going to ship in September at the end of March when the state they ship from was closed down due to Covid and every GMK set known to man was months delayed, etc.

I don’t think TKC knows much concrete and can give an update, and if they did, it would be from some unreliable source up the supply chain. I’m not sure we even know anything’s ever been cut and not anodized and that’s not just an excuse as there aren’t even pictures of the intermediates, and if TKC had those pictures...seems like they’d have posted them? If we ask for more updates, my worry is we’ll be fed the same nonsense about progress as before, it won’t be true, and we’ll be worse off than we were with no recourse other than the one people should already be taking, which is: when you can....buy elsewhere.

I’ll offer you this: I’m happy to bet actual money my 3 SP-111’s won’t be in my hands in 2020.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 October 2020, 19:52:45 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 12:18:16 »
TKC can’t get their fulfillment center Prep Kanga to get switches shipped out in inside of a month to where ordering from Singapore/Ilumkb via singpost is the same price and now faster to Houston, and they have been nothing but apologists for terrible service to where I wouldn’t believe much from them anyways. If they were going to show accountability, it would have been on fruit switches months ago vs coordinating boards w multiple teams/factories.

Logistics are hard, harder during Covid, and decent people occasionally sign bad deals. Ok. But what I really abhor is the passing of bad information: keyreactive saying KAT sets this month are gonna ship in 28 weeks when sets from months ago are currently 40 weeks and they haven’t been on time yet, Drop saying GMK Kanji was going to ship in September at the end of March when the state they ship from was closed down due to Covid and every GMK set known to man was months delayed, etc.

I don’t think TKC knows much concrete and can give an update, and if they did, it would be from some unreliable source up the supply chain. I’m not sure we even know anything’s ever been cut and not anodized and that’s not just an excuse as there aren’t even pictures of the intermediates, and if TKC had those pictures...seems like they’d have posted them? If we ask for more updates, my worry is we’ll be fed the same nonsense about progress as before, it won’t be true, and we’ll be worse off than we were with no recourse other than the one people should already be taking, which is: when you can....buy elsewhere.

I’ll offer you this: I’m happy to bet actual money my 3 SP-111’s won’t be in my hands in 2020.

TKC has closed their product specific Discord channels, including the SP-111 page.
So all of the discussion there about compatibility, accessories, all the excited chats and questions answered are now lost.

This came like a week after they committed to providing weekly updates on the product (because of inordinately extreme delays).
Now we get a single line grouped into the rest of their products that says this:

"SP-111: No update."

To be honest I'm pissed. They have over 60k dollars cash locked away for a year now, they may as well have invested it and are profiting off it for all the clarity we are being shown.
Can @BlindAssassin111 or anyone who knows TKC staff ask them for some real accountability here?

While I 100% understand the frustration lets not turn this thread into a TKC hate thread please, lets keep that other places as this isn't TKC's board but mine.

I know as much as y'all do and I wish I had more information or pictures but I don't unfortunately. I wish I had better knews, but as you probably heard about the anodizing update causing all boards to be remade, that is the last info I have as well.

Sorry that y'all have to wait so much longer than I was planning on initially, I didn't want this to happen and I hope you can understand this is well out of my control at this point.

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 13:37:32 »
If the boards were made and just not anodized, do you have photos of them?

Like this:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102775.msg2818220#msg2818220
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 October 2020, 14:01:19 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline Buster69

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 15:36:25 »
If the boards were made and just not anodized, do you have photos of them?

Like this:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102775.msg2818220#msg2818220

Doubtful, I'm sure he would've said something or posted pics.

This sucks and I highly, highly doubt we will be seeing this board in 2020. It is what it is, would be nice if we received some sort of assurance or ETA. Anyway we can push TKC? We could start a riot  :p

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 16:45:47 »
If it's your board, and youre running the GB, and the vendors only collected money for you, it's time to show some primary data: screencaps, pictures of intermediate products, terms of contract, copies of your weekly emails to the manufacturer asking for updates.  Our only recourse is chargebacks to our vendors and we'll need to assess whether sufficient due diligence is being done.

There's no chance this board arrives in 2020, and that's fine; I'd just like to know the buy actually exists.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 October 2020, 16:50:14 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 17:30:58 »
If it's your board, and youre running the GB, and the vendors only collected money for you, it's time to show some primary data: screencaps, pictures of intermediate products, terms of contract, copies of your weekly emails to the manufacturer asking for updates.  Our only recourse is chargebacks to our vendors and we'll need to assess whether sufficient due diligence is being done.

There's no chance this board arrives in 2020, and that's fine; I'd just like to know the buy actually exists.

You misunderstood my statement a bit, and I could have worded it a bit better so I take the blame on that.

When I said
lets not turn this thread into a TKC hate thread please, lets keep that other places as this isn't TKC's board but mine
I was meaning that this isn't the place for the TKC specific comments, lets keep this about this board only. I say this because I just don't want this to turn into a tkc **** thread and have all of that drama in here. If you want to ***** at them, do it in their discord server or via customer service so they can see it as they don't check this thread at all.

Now I would love to show pics of the boards, but as I also said, I have as much info as you do. I don't have contact with the factory and don't get updates on where things are on a regular basis. I won't go further into this at the moment but that is where we stand right now.

Don't think that I am not waiting myself, cause people seem to forget designers get to wait longer than anyone and that I would also love to have my board but guess what? They are being remade so I get to wait longer as well, fun times right?

EDIT: And it is MY board, TKC doesn't own the rights and they didn't help design any part of it. So...

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 17:52:27 »
Ok that makes sense. Which entity does contact the factory/has a contract with the factory?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 17:58:58 »
Ok that makes sense. Which entity does contact the factory/has a contract with the factory?

Jason, the owner of TKC is the one who would have this info.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 15:52:49 »

Jason, the owner of TKC is the one who would have this info.

Have you tried reaching out to him? Just a bit frustrating we haven't had any sort of update after the last bit of news, feels like we are in limbo here.

Offline DaMnED

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 15:59:40 »
Looking at TKC discord, seems like the SP-111 is moving along and now in QC. 254494-0

Offline Buster69

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 18:04:24 »
Looking at TKC discord, seems like the SP-111 is moving along and now in QC. (Attachment Link)

Must have missed those, thank you. Makes me feel better haha

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 19:58:23 »
I've asked for a photo of the items being QC'd. If there's one I haven't seen could it be posted here?

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 21:55:45 »

Pics up on TKC discord, this is one of them. Awesome.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2020, 22:01:30 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 12:30:51 »
Have you tried reaching out to him? Just a bit frustrating we haven't had any sort of update after the last bit of news, feels like we are in limbo here.

I have but haven't gotten anything y'all haven't seen posted by others here or on discord.

I've asked for a photo of the items being QC'd. If there's one I haven't seen could it be posted here?

Thank you for doing this and posting the pic, I wish I had more but I haven't seen anything but the pictures posted in the server last night.

Offline AvoidingYou

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 09:04:01 »
I want an extra sooo bad 😭😭

Offline Buster69

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 17:53:45 »
Update on discord says in transit. That must be good? Wonder what the timeline is like?

Offline Bayonett Priest

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 12:19:01 »
any news? sitting here hoping for it to arrive but no update in over a month! if ti says in transit it should have been here by now surely!
and has soemoen a discordlink for me what server is it?

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 12:57:42 »
The Key Company discord is where updates would be posted. It’s still in transit, and I don’t think that’s terribly surprising given the delays in international shipping. If you ordered from TKC likely a few more months.