Author Topic: Unicomp New Model M vs PC122  (Read 2902 times)

Offline micmil

Unicomp New Model M vs PC122
« on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 10:00:56 »
I'll be picking one of these up soon but I'm torn as to which one. I figure I'll end up with both eventually but you gotta prioritize sometimes.

What I'm mainly interested in with the PC122 is the ability to spam out tons of macros through AHK. I do a lot of repetitive tasks so a lot of extra keys makes sense.

On the flipside I've heard the New Model M has a better build quality since it's a new retooling. Then again, I've never seen anyone compare the Unicomp keyboards to anything but old IBM keyboards and so have absolutely no point of reference how the Unicomps stack up next to high quality modern keyboards in the same price range.

Is there anyone here that has both and can give an apples to slightly different variety of apples comparison?

Offline rifath33

Re: Unicomp New Model M vs PC122
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 18:38:07 »
Hey friend. I think you should get a PC-122 for much cheaper (isn't there one for less than 50 on eBay?) and restore it, bolt-mod it and convert it to USB using a Pro Micro.

I never used a PC-122 though so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt.

It's just I feel the PC-122 will be more cost-effective and of higher quality

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 03:13:15 »
PC-122 might be sturdier for a lot less cash. A din to usb active adapter cheapest is like $20. Just get a clean one so you do not need to tinker. On the other hand The new model M is just fine. Neither is a real Model M. They are good though. It depends if you will spend more for plug 'n play.

Offline rifath33

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 03:29:41 »
For what it’s worth, I converted a Model F XT with a Pro Micro and it wasn’t too difficult.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 05:18:25 »
from my experience with the PC122, the quality is rather poor, and adapter compatibility is also rather poor, but you do get a ton of keys and that old school terminal styling.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline micmil

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 11:53:58 »
Just so we're on the same page, I am referring to the Unicomp PC122. I'm not terribly interested in converting an older IBM right now. That will definitely be a future project (a rather extensive one) but for the moment I'm interested in the Unicomp comparison. I've heard the NMM is more solid than the Ultra Classic but haven't run across anything that rates the various Unicomp models against each other.

*EDIT*
Alright, screw all of you peer-pressure bastards. I picked up an IBM M122. I figure I can get it up and running over a weekend then come back and do the hideous things to it at a later time.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2021, 22:05:23 by micmil »

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 05:41:20 »
Just so we're on the same page, I am referring to the Unicomp PC122. I'm not terribly interested in converting an older IBM right now. That will definitely be a future project (a rather extensive one) but for the moment I'm interested in the Unicomp comparison. I've heard the NMM is more solid than the Ultra Classic but haven't run across anything that rates the various Unicomp models against each other.

*EDIT*
Alright, screw all of you peer-pressure bastards. I picked up an IBM M122. I figure I can get it up and running over a weekend then come back and do the hideous things to it at a later time.
i did not see that earlier sorry, but as i said earlier, from my experience the Unicomp PC122 is really not that great new, would have i known the quality problems i would have gone with the "normal" 103 layout, although the 2002 model i bought for cheap on e-bay were of better quality, and a lot cheaper (75 euros for the 3, including shipping from the US to France, although did not include customs...) and i would not have recommended a M122 either as those often need special converters like Hasu's TMK converter of Soarer's converter and may have a 8p8c connector on the end, but then if you feel up to the task then it would be the best M122 option around.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline micmil

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 11:51:49 »

*EDIT*
i did not see that earlier sorry, but as i said earlier, from my experience the Unicomp PC122 is really not that great new, would have i known the quality problems i would have gone with the "normal" 103 layout, although the 2002 model i bought for cheap on e-bay were of better quality, and a lot cheaper (75 euros for the 3, including shipping from the US to France, although did not include customs...) and i would not have recommended a M122 either as those often need special converters like Hasu's TMK converter of Soarer's converter and may have a 8p8c connector on the end, but then if you feel up to the task then it would be the best M122 option around.

It's going to get gutted. People may cry when they see what I do to this thing.

I mean, probably not, but being overdramatic is fun. :thumb:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 16:48:26 »

I picked up an IBM M122.

It's going to get gutted.

If you are willing to invest time and money into a keyboard to make it special, you should get a Model F 122-key terminal. It will cost more on the front end but you will have something far better in the end.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline micmil

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 17:25:19 »
And with that we hit the end of the inevitable "Don't buy that version of that keyboard!" train for all IBM keyboards. Now boarding for the "Don't use that microcontroller, use my favorite one!" Express. :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 17:31:41 »
I was only speaking from my personal experience of having owned dozens of Model Ms and Fs and having rebuilt them from the inside out.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline funkmon

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 22:12:23 »
PC-122 might be sturdier for a lot less cash. A din to usb active adapter cheapest is like $20. Just get a clean one so you do not need to tinker. On the other hand The new model M is just fine. Neither is a real Model M. They are good though. It depends if you will spend more for plug 'n play.

Hold on now. The New Model M is SIGNIFICANTLY better built than a PC-122. I consider the New Model M to be on par with anything Lexmark put out, if not IBM. New Model M is right up there with the "real" Models M. The New Model M is an excellent keyboard.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 22:32:30 »

Hold on now. The New Model M is SIGNIFICANTLY better built than a PC-122. I consider the New Model M to be on par with anything Lexmark put out, if not IBM. New Model M is right up there with the "real" Models M. The New Model M is an excellent keyboard.

Oh heck, just get a Lexmark.  :cool:

Offline funkmon

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 22:58:57 »
It's more compact and has a warranty. And it's black. :P

Offline micmil

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 08:18:58 »
It's more compact and has a warranty. And it's black. :P

And it's moot now that the M122 is here.  :)) It was just too cheap to pass up. Even with the cost of a converter it's well below the Unicomp in price. Which means that the answer to my original question is "New Model M."

The only problem is the beige. So much square beige footage...

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 09:48:17 »
And with that we hit the end of the inevitable "Don't buy that version of that keyboard!" train for all IBM keyboards. Now boarding for the "Don't use that microcontroller, use my favorite one!" Express. :p

Have you tried a Model F before? Most people who own both would agree with fohat. That doesn't mean that you necessarily will, just that you may end up doing a lot of custom work to a board and end up just switching to an F later anyway.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 23:36:55 »
Haha I know that feel. Certain things I much prefer on the M are the layout and the sound, and I was adamant that the Fs were dumb. Then I forced myself to try to legitimately use an XT and I can't go back to wasting so much space with that nav cluster on my tiny ass desk. I even got used to the sound. Hopefully I'm just slowly going deaf on the high pitched part.

I still plan on moving to an M122 battleship when I get a bigger desk or move. I even have a rubber dome model just in case I need to go quiet on that bad lad. I dread the day my wife gets tired of the clack and I need to use some **** tier switch or, got forbid, floss mod.

And it's moot now that the M122 is here.  :)) It was just too cheap to pass up. Even with the cost of a converter it's well below the Unicomp in price. Which means that the answer to my original question is "New Model M."

The only problem is the beige. So much square beige footage...

Hey no problem man, I didn't know there was a price difference. I would have gone with cheaper myself. Also battleships are ****ing boss. A New Model M, to uninitiated, looks like a normal keyboard. Ain't nobody gonna miss your big honking monstrosity. I have a lot myself. Learn it, love it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2021, 23:38:39 by funkmon »