Author Topic: [please delete] IC moved  (Read 13657 times)

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

Re: [IC] Kepler
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 02:32:42 »
Not a huge fan of TKL, but this looks pretty awesome. Agreed that bezels are a bit thick to me, but I definitely get the appeal. Interested to see what price is. The Lemo connector + Brass bottom can't come cheap. Either way, great design.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 14:14:30 »
I think the bezels are another thing that sets it apart. I like them honestly

Offline iammeuru

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 15:08:14 »
I'm pretty interested as-is, however, I have a feeling that the bottom part is going to end up quite expensive to machine, and if you decided to simplify the the curves (especially around the lemo connector/rear bottom angle), it would become more affordable. I think this is a solid must have for me, so please give as much info as possible in advance so I can budget it in :)

It's a fantastic design.

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 02:37:13 »
This is it.

100%.

In.

As is. please keep the bottom all pvd....

Offline blawb

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 18:36:10 »
Good to see a second board implementing the true isolation methodology for mounting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What does this mean?
i hate wet socks

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 18:45:40 »
Good to see a second board implementing the true isolation methodology for mounting

What does this mean?
My personal board, the J-01 uses exactly this type of mounting as well. Build stream available on YouTube

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 19:23:33 »
Cool mounting style and connector, consider me interested!

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 20:02:02 »
I must have one.

Offline blawb

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 22:29:20 »

What does this mean?
My personal board, the J-01 uses exactly this type of mounting as well. Build stream available on YouTube

Cool stream. Was cool hearing about all the design decisions. Why do you prefer this method? I did a quick search but I didn't find much.
i hate wet socks

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 23:17:44 »

What does this mean?

Cool stream. Was cool hearing about all the design decisions. Why do you prefer this method? I did a quick search but I didn't find much.

it sounds good but doesn't feel much better than any normal sandwich or top mount board

at least in my experience, i haven't used jae's board
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 02:46:58 »

What does this mean?

it sounds good but doesn't feel much better than any normal sandwich or top mount board

at least in my experience, i haven't used jae's board

Replying to all of you here.... so wall of text inbound.

It basically feels like a softer sandwich mount. The plate effectively is raised only be the nitrile rubber and penned in from above so it sits on a “skirt” of the gasket around the entire edge of the plate. This means it has some “give” - but is not what you see in terms of flex with other gasket materials.

The use of gaskets have two main aims and depending on the implementation you can bias it in one favour or the other, or create a balance (think front / rear break balancing on a car), with the two options being sound and flex.

This implementation is to heavily favour the sound element by removing any contact of the plate or pcb from the case. On top mount for example the plate can reverberate or vibrate from normal usage and have the sound transferred to the case. This can (but doesn’t always) cause case ping. The idea behind the isolation here is to remove that entirely, and therefore allow sound to be tuned better, whilst adding a small amount of flexibility where the plate rests on the skirt.

In essence it feels like a softened sandwich mount so it’s highly consistent across the board in terms of feel. It’s isolated from the case completely so all the sound you hear is the switch and plate and cap materials. Which then allow you to look at the sound itself.

The inside of the case then becomes a resonance chamber - like the internals of a guitar. You can change the internal shape of the case to change how the board sounds.

If you listen to the J-01 first proto, the sound is slightly higher pitched on the keys to the left and right due to the internal cut out of a chamber not expanding across the full 60% area. It’s tiny in terms of timbre change, but it’s there. For rev2 of the proto, I’ve expanded that chamber across so all keys will have the same sound as the alphas do in the video (or be much closer).

Hope that helps - happy to chat about this if anyone has any further questions.

Offline projectkeyboard

Re: [IC] Kepler (Update: prototype photos)
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 10:13:16 »
Second post updated with proto photos.

A few design changes were made after this prototype. Production units will resemble the images in the renders.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 10:16:40 »
Second post updated with proto photos.

A few design changes were made after this prototype. Production units will resemble the images in the renders.

That's a heavy boye

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 11:10:30 »
wow that's heavy. any shots of it from the side and sitting on a table?
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline bball2

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 11:21:00 »
11 lbs woah

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 14:41:06 »
11 lbs woah

lighter than brass keycult no 1
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 14:41:35 »
proto photos further solidified that i don't like the bezels

but the design is ****ing sweet otherwise

seems... very expensive at it stands right now