Author Topic: Keyboard chatter? Fix  (Read 10111 times)

Offline MrFraggle

Keyboard chatter? Fix
« on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 05:40:17 »
I bought a second hand Corsair K70 RGB and before I return it is wonder if it is possible to cure what I believe is called 'key chatter' When I press certain keys and it seems quite a lot of them it doubles the letters and sometimes trebles the letters I see on screen.

It is a known issue and wonder why the guy did not RMA the keyboard but there you go. He refunded my money and told me to keep the KB which if I fix then I have promised to repay him.
So far I have emailed Corsair to see if there is any help forthcoming from them, more hope than expectation though as it is out of the 2 year warranty period..

Is there a fix? If not how difficult for a noobie would it be to replace the knackered red switches?

Edit:
Had this from Corsair. Our apologies for any inconvenience, please remove the key cap and clean the switch underneath using 70-90% isopropyl alcohol mixing with warm almost hot water, use a Q tip to clean the key switch properly, let it dry completely before use. Reconnect the keyboard, hold Esc button when you plug it in. Use USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 port, please leave the power cable (arrow icon) hang. Remove CUE software, install the latest software and reboot, flash the firmware, make sure you disable USB selective suspend (found in the Power Options of Control Panel, Advanced Power settings) before performing the firmware update. And test it on another system if possible.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Keyboard chatter? Fix
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:33:25 »
Hahahahahaha..

Soooo... before we help you fix it.... by virtue of the situation you've described..

You must tell us your identity first,  so that we can report you to the corsair police if you manage to fix the keyboard with our help and did not pay corsair for the keyboard.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:46:19 »
Hahahahahaha..

Soooo... before we help you fix it.... by virtue of the situation you've described..

You must tell us your identity first,  so that we can report you to the corsair police if you manage to fix the keyboard with our help and did not pay corsair for the keyboard.
Tp you didn't read very good.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:56:39 »
Hahahahahaha..

Hrrrm ?  yea the OP wording was confusing,  I could've mis interpreted it. 

"He refunded my money and told me to keep the KB which if I fix then I have promised to repay him. "

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:58:04 »
Hahahahahaha..

Hrrrm ?  yea the OP wording was confusing,  I could've mis interpreted it. 

"He refunded my money and told me to keep the KB which if I fix then I have promised to repay him. "

I thought you thought he bought it from Corsair...carry on...

An to the OP I've debated saying anything but please don't put water and alcohol in the switches that'll only end badly.

Offline MrFraggle

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 03:16:29 »
I have reread my original post and cannot see where the issue is. But I will try to clarify.

1) I bought second hand keyboard.
2) Said keyboard has many keys which double and occasionally triple type a letter.
3) Received refund from seller who told me to keep the kb as he was not interested in paying return postage.
4) I promised that if I can repair kb I will repay the original purchase price I paid which is only fair.

I have contacted Corsair as as it is a known issue  they might replace the keyboard but thus far I have received the advice under Edit in my original thread.

Offline inestyne

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 18:33:55 »
I have 2 K70s which used to chatter but i fixed it. I remembered back in 80s you had to break in some of these mechanical keyboards.

Take your fat finger and hit the key HARD like 30 times. Don't break your finger. You'll find that the key no longer chatters.

Boom!