Author Topic: [IC] Premium keyboard sleeves for 60%, 65/68% and also 40%  (Read 5835 times)

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
[IC] Premium keyboard sleeves for 60%, 65/68% and also 40%
« on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 18:18:10 »
Hey everyone!

I just put up this [IC] up on /r/mechmarket and was told it would be a good idea to float this by the community here. I realize I'm new to GH as a contributor as I've been a longtime lurker here. Hope this isn't out of the norm! If it is please forgive me.

--
UPDATE: We are live!

Form is here: https://goo.gl/forms/zLodoYsI7J2qlXi62

So a couple weeks ago I spec'd out and designed a custom keyboard sleeve for my custom 60% keyboard (an XD60 with a high profile case) and had my wife make one for me using the materials she currently uses for her bag making business: lightly waxed canvas and leather.

I wanted something more durable than the keyboard sleeves out there because the materials weren't to my liking.

I needed something that was relatively waterproof, sturdy and wear-resistant, had a closure that made getting the keyboard in and out of easier instead of the usual drawstring-style and a handle to carry and pull the sleeve out of my bag faster. Oh and let's not forget, an outer pocket for the all-important custom USB cable to stay in!

Anyway I've had quite a few people PM me or ask if we were interested in making more of them available and I thought I'd run an interest check here to see what you all think.

I had her create a few different color combinations in her trademark color constrast to help show what they look like.

There are three colors:
  • Midnight blue body, charcoal grey base.
  • Brown body, black base.
  • Charcoal grey body, brown base.

174946-0

Here is a link to photos of the sleeves on imgur
http://imgur.com/a/brMpi

The materials we use are:
  • Lightly waxed water resistant canvas. A special textile made by a family run company since the 1830's. A proprietary blend of natural bees wax is coated onto premium canvas. It doesn't rub onto clothing or other items.
  • The interior lining is made out of a soft sturdy cotton twill cotton in tan.
  • Antique brass magnetic snap.
  • Genuine full grain leather pull tab.

The 60% sleeve will accommodate high profile, lipless 60% keyboards like the POK3R/WASD60, KBParadise V60, Anne Pro, Gon Nerd 60, HHKB, X60, XD60/XD64, etc.
Larger-lipped acrylic or aluminum keyboards should also fit so long as the bezel isn't larger than 1cm all around.

The 68% sleeve will accommodate boards like the Clueboard, Varmilo VA68M, White Fox, TADA68/SABER, etc.

The outer pocket can accommodate flat USB cables as well as custom, braided cables like these from Reddit user 90N1NE (mechcables.com).

Each of these is hand made and only in small batches by my wife who has a bag making business and are made with a lot of care and attention to detail.

The stitching is made with an industrial machine and will not easily fray or come apart which was one of my original requirements and especially important if you have an aluminum case which can be quite heavy.

I have a 40% keyboard I'm building and also want a case for so if you happen to be interested in one for that size do let me know! The case should fit JD40/JD45 and minivan-sized keebs.

If we get enough interest we'll likely run a group buy in a week or so. Pricing will depend on interest and obviously the more we have the lower the price we can offer.

We're located in and will ship from Vancouver, Canada.

Thanks for your time everyone! This is the first I've ever done an [IC] so please bear with me!

Pricing (USD):
60% keyboard sleeves: group buy pricing of $39 per sleeve + shipping.
65/68% keyboard sleeves: group buy pricing of $49 per sleeve + shipping.

Shipping would be nominal depending on where you are so maybe $9-12 for CONUS/Canada.

Please also let me know if you're interested in a 40% and/or TKL sleeve as we've had a fair bit of interest for those too over on Reddit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 August 2017, 12:33:53 by xtianyves »

Offline PotatoTM

Re: [IC] Premium keyboard sleeves for 60%, 65/68% and also 40%
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 21:17:53 »
I'm interested! Would it be possible to mix and match the colours a little bit? for example grey body, black bottom or are they set in stone.

Offline Scarhoof

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 23:02:29 »
I already said this over on Reddit, but yes on the 40%! They look amazing!

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 09:35:34 »
I'm interested! Would it be possible to mix and match the colours a little bit? for example grey body, black bottom or are they set in stone.

Unfortunately, no, not for the group buy.

If you want a custom color combination you can always order a custom one. It would cost a bit more but you'd also have to wait until after the group buy for it to be made since it would be a non-stock item.

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 09:37:21 »
I already said this over on Reddit, but yes on the 40%! They look amazing!

My 40% is coming soon and once I build it we'll start working on a sample for the 40% sleeves so stay tuned!

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 09:58:43 »

Unfortunately, no, not for the group buy.

If you want a custom color combination you can always order a custom one. It would cost a bit more but you'd also have to wait until after the group buy for it to be made since it would be a non-stock item.

So I checked with my wife if you wanted grey + black it would be just an extra $10 for it since the pattern would have to be cut (we don't offer a black body so they're not pre-cut for that purpose).

Hope that helps in case you really wanted that color combo.

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 03:31:28 »
Count me in for at least one!

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 09:51:41 »
Count me in for at least one!

Awesome! I got you down for one.

Offline DKrause

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 12:23:49 »
I'd be interested in a couple of the 60% and one of the 40%. They look very nicely made indeed.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 12:31:33 »
interested for a 65/68 for clueboard :)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 12:39:26 »
Looks great, I'm interested

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 14:47:17 »
Very interesting, the price is a bit steep....... will there be a TKL version?

Offline CursorTN

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 15:11:49 »
I'm interested!  Would go for a 60%, but would prefer for it to accommodate a Fjell high profile big-bezel or a 75% like KBD75. Like the midnight blue/grey option best. Price is fine. Can there be a non-magnetic closure option? I don't like magnets. They mess up my vintage computers and watches. Thanks! Not sure where you are, but I could provide keebs for measurement/example if you're around Seattle.

Offline tron

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 15:27:56 »
These look great. Count me in!

(edit) Interested in a 60 percent size that can fit a high profile/thick case.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 August 2017, 13:14:36 by tron »

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 18:55:55 »
Looks great, I'm interested

60% or 65/68%?

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 18:56:20 »
I'd be interested in a couple of the 60% and one of the 40%. They look very nicely made indeed.

Thank you. I got you down for one of each!

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 19:00:57 »
Very interesting, the price is a bit steep....... will there be a TKL version?

No TKL version planned for now but if there's enough interest we may make one. There's been some interest over on Reddit but not enough to design and offer them at this stage.

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 19:24:37 »
I'm interested!  Would go for a 60%, but would prefer for it to accommodate a Fjell high profile big-bezel or a 75% like KBD75. Like the midnight blue/grey option best. Price is fine. Can there be a non-magnetic closure option? I don't like magnets. They mess up my vintage computers and watches. Thanks! Not sure where you are, but I could provide keebs for measurement/example if you're around Seattle.

We've made sure there's a fair bit of room for high profile cases so even with a Fjell it should fit.

If you'd like you can PM me and provide me measurements and I can make sure it fits.

For a 75% we'd have to run an interest check for that before we do a group buy as anything beyond a 65/68% requires a new design pattern before we can create a batch of them.

Now, as far as the closure is concerned, for this group buy we're only doing magnetic snaps as that's proven to be the most cost-effective and secure method to keep the flap closed.
If you want a custom closure we can certainly do one for you but it would have to be after the group buy orders have gone out.

I wish I had a Rolex Milgauss so I didn't have to worry about magnets either but we've tried to find a happy medium when it comes to closures. But like I said you can choose a different closure entirely after we've mailed out the orders as that frees us up a bit.

The sleeves are being slotted in to be made concurrently with other orders (my wife's business is primarily with bags--totes, messengers, etc) which is why we can't make custom ones as fast as we'd like. Hope that makes sense!

Happy to help you get a sleeve that fits your keyboard(s) so please feel free to PM me your dimensions if you like and we can go from there!

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 19:25:34 »
These look great. Count me in!

You got it I noted you down for one!

Offline Owl-

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 17:21:24 »
Now, as far as the closure is concerned, for this group buy we're only doing magnetic snaps as that's proven to be the most cost-effective and secure method to keep the flap closed.
If you want a custom closure we can certainly do one for you but it would have to be after the group buy orders have gone out.

I wish I had a Rolex Milgauss so I didn't have to worry about magnets either but we've tried to find a happy medium when it comes to closures. But like I said you can choose a different closure entirely after we've mailed out the orders as that frees us up a bit.

I was a little concerned at first at what sort of magnet closure, but after seeing it in your album, I thought it was okay. Have you thought about snap button closure as an alternative? Something like this:

They work just as great as magnet closures. I prefer snap button securement overall in general for these sorts of stuff.

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 17:50:50 »

I was a little concerned at first at what sort of magnet closure, but after seeing it in your album, I thought it was okay. Have you thought about snap button closure as an alternative? Something like this:
Show Image

They work just as great as magnet closures. I prefer snap button securement overall in general for these sorts of stuff.

We tried the snap closures but the problem is when you're snapping the closure closed and you have a keyboard inside: you need to apply pressure on the snap and since the male snap is on the sleeve you end up transferring pressure onto the keys, and the switches, of your keyboard.

We really didn't want the snap to cause any type of damage to whatever is inside the sleeve so we went with magnetic snaps instead.

That said, following the group buy, we're more than happy to offer custom options like closures, etc. if you so desire.

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 18:13:08 »
I would definitely be in for a 40% one if you ran this.
Custom KC60

Offline Owl-

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 18:15:17 »
We tried the snap closures but the problem is when you're snapping the closure closed and you have a keyboard inside: you need to apply pressure on the snap and since the male snap is on the sleeve you end up transferring pressure onto the keys, and the switches, of your keyboard.

We really didn't want the snap to cause any type of damage to whatever is inside the sleeve so we went with magnetic snaps instead.

That said, following the group buy, we're more than happy to offer custom options like closures, etc. if you so desire.

I did think of that too, but most of the pressure would be on the back of the case since I'm assuming here that everyone would have some solid metal/wood case, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem since the pressure is on the back and not onto the keys. I'm still good with magnetic overall.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 18:21:30 »

I did think of that too, but most of the pressure would be on the back of the case since I'm assuming here that everyone would have some solid metal/wood case, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem since the pressure is on the back and not onto the keys. I'm still good with magnetic overall.

If you insert the keyboard with the keys facing the closure, you're going to be putting a fair amount of force onto whatever key or keys are directly below the closure, with little or no force on the other keys. You're correct that any force on the other side of the bag would be on a case, and likely not a problem.

E: pressure -> force
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 18:23:15 »
I would definitely be in for a 40% one if you ran this.

Awesome. We're looking at doing a GB for the 40% after this one is over so maybe in a month or so. Stay tuned!

Offline Scarhoof

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:05:11 »

Except for any open back (pcb) or acrylic diffuser backs. Those could easily get broken with the amount of force needed for that kind of closure. Even with a solid aluminum case, you risk scratching your expensive finish from the metal closure scraping against it when you snap it shut. I think the magnet is the best option since it doesn't require the force required to close it.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 16:51:45 »
I wouldn't want an open back PCB covered or not to be carried in this way, especially if it's fabric like canvas. And acrylic overall is very sturdy; it can take quite a lot of beating unless its ultra thin like 1mm or below.

Snap buttons don't require a lot of force to close or open, even for the rough example I gave. Also, the button shouldn't even be exposed; it'll be covered by the inner layer, the same way as the leather tab. Plastic snap buttons is another alternative that works just as great, but they don't feel good as metal variants.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com