Author Topic: CM Storm QFR - Dragon Quest Edition  (Read 4051 times)

Offline rinv

• pandadvantage
CM Storm QFR - Dragon Quest Edition
« on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 00:14:52 »
hey all,
i'm pretty new to GH, although i've been seeing and reading some of your guys' stuff for awhile. after a year+ of waiting, i finally leapt on that QFR for $45 after rebate deal that keeps rolling around. i've already decided to upgrade to a white majestouch 2 tkl w/ blues, and turn this keyboard into a project keyboard. c-:

my project is to replicate this:

i recently purchased the blue 104-key set from elitekeyboards, and have some of them on now, gonna finish the rest as soon as i finish this post. not sure if i'm going to try and remove the letters with some kind of chemical, i haven't really looked into that yet. i kinda like the idea of blank keys for this project.
obviously i can't 100% copy the designs on all the keys in the original, however, i will be painting a slime face on the space bar, and possibly on the enter as well. considering doing the fancy I,II,III,IV,V,VI thing for the regular number keys, too.

current status:

in any case, my minimum plan is to:
  • get a new top plate for painting blue
  • afix DQ logo between arrow keys and del/end/pgdwn
  • swap keycaps for blue ones
  • paint slime face on space bar
  • mount slimes and stair case on f-keys/esc

if you have any tips for me, they'd be really helpful!
i'm planning on using one of the sanding/painting guides in one of the other threads already.
if you know of any good ways to attach the slimes without gluing them, i haven't really given it much though yet.
that and a way to attach this logo. i'm really not sure yet, maybe a sticker?

Offline rinv

• pandadvantage
Re: CM Storm QFR - Dragon Quest Edition
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 00:15:06 »
reserved

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 00:42:09 »
This looks like a fun project!! How is that skinny [scissor switch?] blue keyboard?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rinv

• pandadvantage
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 00:58:18 »
This looks like a fun project!! How is that skinny [scissor switch?] blue keyboard?

HELL for typing on
honestly it's what spurred the project. i already had the project planned, but a deadline and a contest are a good way to get me motivated. c-:

in any case having a japanese keyboard will be nice for future use i suppose (i'm starting japanese classes)

Offline rinv

• pandadvantage
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:18:16 »
just a quick update;
i got me the paint and tools, but i haven't had any time due to job transition(working 60 hour weeks), but hopefully i'll be able to finish it up before the end of the contest.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:25:49 by rinv »