Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 577903 times)

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Searching for New Resources)
« Reply #2150 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 21:17:00 »
So where did the deposit money go. Did drhubble use them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2151 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 23:14:26 »
yep. built the proto, sold it and went unheard from for a while. ninja picked it back up and smoothed things out. i still have a bitter taste in my mouth over the whole thing. really have to hold my tongue when i see him drop in here. the gall.

edit - a word

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #2152 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 01:45:11 »
So wait, he used the 40 usd deposit from everyone to build the proto and he sold it?! And then left?

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #2153 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 07:06:00 »
So wait, he used the 40 usd deposit from everyone to build the proto and he sold it?! And then left?

Reverse 'leaving' and 'selling', but yes.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #2154 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 08:15:11 »
He didn't just take it from the people on the list either. I filled out the form a little later and he took my 40$ too. Ah well I was really new to the hobby back then. Good on ninja for wading through knee deep **** to try to salvage something. Focus on getting better man.

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #2155 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 08:15:13 »

So he left the project after using everyones deposit to build a proto. Then he sold it. What the ****

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2156 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 10:48:05 »

So he left the project after using everyones deposit to build a proto. Then he sold it. What the ****

yup. this also happened around the time of ivan's treachery. double bummer.

despite all the ****ery, i am still interested to see this board made, and i am very grateful that ninja is leading the way.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2157 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 13:22:48 »
Not being a devil's advocate here at all, just speaking as I thought of the situation realistically the whole time.  There was no promise of delivery for the original $40 in the OP; the text below said that basically anything could happen and the costs could be high, and we'd be under no obligation to continue with the group buy.  Looking at the text of the OP, I personally read it as "help me make a prototype, and you'll get a numbered case if it does happen".  I basically considered it as a donation the whole time.  Not that I'm rich and have a lot of free funds by any account, I just really wanted this keyboard to happen as originally intended.  Adding up $40 contributions from the 57 people on the google docs list comes to $2280, which probably only covers the cost of one prototype including plate and PCB.  If any was left over, I'd hope it was passed on to Ninja, though I'm not sure any was.  In any case, much more money has been spent on new prototypes since.

As far as numbering or whatever custom text goes, dos that really require custom plans for every case at the time of machining?  Why not just do plain engraving on the weights in roughly the same spot after everything else is done?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2158 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 13:46:39 »
There was no promise of delivery for the original $40 in the OP; the text below said that basically anything could happen and the costs could be high, and we'd be under no obligation to continue with the group buy.  Looking at the text of the OP, I personally read it as "help me make a prototype, and you'll get a numbered case if it does happen".  I basically considered it as a donation the whole time.
The constant trading of places mean that a lot of current holders of the places are unaware of this. I imagine this was overlooked a lot though.

As far as numbering or whatever custom text goes, dos that really require custom plans for every case at the time of machining?  Why not just do plain engraving on the weights in roughly the same spot after everything else is done?
Just to weigh (ha) in here, weight engravings that are different in any way must be a different file. I have 40 numbered weights - 10 CEs, and 30 FEs, and the other design, so my manufacturer is expecting 41 different weight files (effectively 41 different weights).

It does, and will take time, but I think it's time worth taking. However, this is entirely up to ninjadoc in what he does with that.

Ninjadoc has my full support in recovering this, it's just another case (I'm full of ****ty puns today) of waiting until its all set up and ready to go. There is an incredible amount of time, dedication, and commitment needed to do something like this, and with all of his health issues, it's even harder. Everyone should be making this as easy as we can for him, as I'm sure even if you aren't involved that you want to see this happen.

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #2159 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 17:05:54 »
I think i could help numbering the weights. Lmk.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2160 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 20:21:26 »
yep. built the proto, sold it and went unheard from for a while. ninja picked it back up and smoothed things out. i still have a bitter taste in my mouth over the whole thing. really have to hold my tongue when i see him drop in here. the gall.

edit - a word

I got cold feet on this over a year ago and just bailed. Glad I did, I cant believe this is still not really going anywhere. This always seemed like a buy that would just never progress unfortunately. I was most bummed about missing the TGR Jane that ran at around the same time.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline tribade

« Reply #2161 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 23:41:50 »

despite all the ****ery, i am still interested to see this board made, and i am very grateful that ninja is leading the way.

I haven't been playing close attention to the boards for a while, what happened with Ivan?
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #2162 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 00:16:31 »

I haven't been playing close attention to the boards for a while, what happened with Ivan?

Dipped out while running a couple of groupbuys. If I remember correctly he made off with 60k
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline ntw

« Reply #2163 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 00:58:49 »
ninjadoc should just get it manufactured in China, fast turnaround, much lower cost/margin, and everyone will be happy to finally get a Mira board.
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline tribade

« Reply #2164 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 02:25:09 »

Dipped out while running a couple of groupbuys. If I remember correctly he made off with 60k

Well **** that sucks.  I always liked Ivan, and he ran a ton of groupbuys successfully.  That's inexcusable.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2165 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 10:58:20 »
ninjadoc should just get it manufactured in China, fast turnaround, much lower cost/margin, and everyone will be happy to finally get a Mira board.

i'm not sure anyone would care where it is made anymore, just as long as it gets made

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2166 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:26:38 »

i'm not sure anyone would care where it is made anymore, just as long as it gets made

Id rather wait for it then have it made in China.  Chinese keyboard products are all terrible

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #2167 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 14:30:46 »

Id rather wait for it then have it made in China.  Chinese keyboard products are all terrible

Well, the guys from Revo, offer some magic quality of anodizing, maybe try to ask them to help to implement the project.
But, i can only judge by the photos but looks very promising

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2168 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 14:31:41 »

Well, the guys from Revo, offer some magic quality of anodizing, maybe try to ask them to help to implement the project.

in any other case maybe, but having a NASA inspired board made in China is just a slap in the face to America.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2169 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 14:57:09 »
in any other case maybe, but having a NASA inspired board made in China is just a slap in the face to America.

Have it made in Mexico before the wall is up  :))

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2170 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 14:57:50 »

Have it made in Mexico before the wall is up  :))

New Mexico is OK

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #2171 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 15:00:01 »

Well, in this case I just want to get a great keyboard, I dream about for a long time. I'm Russian, space in our culture and history occupies a special place. Here I am really looking forward to GMK Yuri, which will be made in Germany ;), dedicated to the great Russian astronaut. And the combination of this keyboard and a set of keys would have given the International Space Station edition))))))

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2172 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 15:01:10 »

Well, in this case I just want to get a great keyboard, I dream about for a long time. I'm Russian, space in our culture and history occupies a special place. Here I am really looking forward to GMK Yuri, which will be made in Germany ;), dedicated to the great Russian astronaut. And the combination of this keyboard and a set of keys would have given the International Space Station edition))))))

understandable, but 'Merica

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #2173 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 15:06:00 »

understandable, but 'Merica
I believe in ninjadoc, the man clearly outstanding perseverance and courage that despite all the problems, carries this burden of responsibility. Get well ninjadoc, and make NASA great again :thumb:

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #2174 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:35:29 »

I'd want it made wherever they can offer the best quality to price ratio. As someone who works for a manufacturing company with sites worldwide, my opinion is that "Made in USA" is way over-****ing-rated.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2175 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:36:44 »

I'd want it made wherever they can offer the best quality to price ratio. As someone who works for a manufacturing company with sites worldwide, my opinion is that "Made in USA" is way over-****ing-rated.

yeah that's everyone's argument, but this is the Mira, this is NASA, this is not blasphemy

Offline eksuen

« Reply #2176 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:38:48 »
More

yeah that's everyone's argument, but this is the Mira, this is NASA, this is not blasphemy

And as an American, I still don't care if it's not made in the States.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2177 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:40:12 »
More

pretty sad.  I won't buy it if it's made elsewhere

Offline E3E

« Reply #2178 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:47:27 »

I like your way of thinking. :)

Offline eksuen

« Reply #2179 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:50:36 »
More

Too bad? It's not like NASA is a fully homegrown organization. The key is citizenship and there are plenty of NASA employees who were born outside the States. I don't see the problem with sourcing talent from overseas if the quality is there. A poor warrior abandons his best weapon.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2180 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:53:16 »
still sad the way you see outside as better.  hopefully it'll change

Offline eksuen

« Reply #2181 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:56:59 »
still sad the way you see outside as better.  hopefully it'll change

It's not an us vs. them or inside vs. outside. It's just whoever does the best work for the lowest price (yay capitalism. isn't that the most American thing ever?). If that happens to be in the States, then I'm all for it. But large manufacturers' volume production are mostly in China and Mexico for a reason. It's cheaper to build there while still achieving the desired quality. America is not inherently better. That's some American exceptionalism bull****.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2182 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:58:04 »
you're american for sure going at me 1v1.  not even up to either of us

Offline eksuen

« Reply #2183 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 17:03:34 »

So now my nationality is questioned because I don't agree with your "America #1" attitude? I'd be the first to admit there are wide swaths of fellow countrymen that I do not care for. It doesn't make me any less American.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2184 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 17:04:05 »

His argument is sound, it's not a 1v1 attack as you choose to see it.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2185 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 17:15:23 »
When reporters asked Alan Shepard what he thought about as he sat atop the Redstone rocket waiting for liftoff, he replied, 'The fact that every part of this ship was built by the lowest bidder.'

i dont think NASA would be concerned about having parts made in China, if they are build to spec  ;)

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #2186 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 23:36:26 »

His argument is sound, it's not a 1v1 attack as you choose to see it.

But muhhhricaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline ninjadoc

Mira update
« Reply #2187 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:08:03 »
 Current status of the Mira
First – the current prototypes are here   http://imgur.com/a/PWJdb
It will have the famous O’Mira above the keypad and probably SE on the back by the USB hole.
The SE may or may not have a brass inlay.
The plan for now is to offer it with stainless steel weights but brass may be considered but will not be nickel coated and will be subject to corrosion.
 I plan to offer the colors of black, silver, and grey/titanium but one or two other colors may be offered depending on the anodizing available.
II expect to be able to offer stainless steel and aluminum plates and the aluminum plates can be anodized. The plates do not allow switch top removal, that may change depending on time available to make that change.
 I will only offer Leeku boards which will be soldered except for the bottom RGB LED’s. Leeku might be able to offer those soldered for $5 a board. The plates are designed to use both Leeku’s board and the NERD. YukTsi has been working on a TKL board that should fit and Winkeyless has a TKL board that I think will fit.
I can possibly offer stabilizers and even LED’s if there is enough interest.
Assuming everything works out and I can stay out of the hospital I want to start the group buy in January. I haven’t thought of the ordering period yet but as long as the manufacturer can handle the numbers I do not plan on capping out the amount sold. It is possible that it would have to go in two or more stages depending on the capability of myself and the manufacturer to move the product. The plan is for the Mira to be boxed similar to the TX-87 and the TX-CP which should prevent damage. The quality control will be done at the factory and I can’t be help responsible for minor defects but anything like the damages occurred by the LZ-FE will be taken care of. 
Timeline:
1)      Ordering or verifying ordering around 2 weeks
2)      Payment two weeks for price of the board, shipping will be billed separately.
3)      From time of payment to the manufacturer to my door should be about 12 weeks. I may try to have the boards sent directly to other countries that have several orders to a proxy to cut down cost. Canada would definitely be a country I would like to do this with.
4)      Cost – has not been finalized due to all details haven’t been worked out but I would expect the cost to be between $400 - $425 + the shipping to your home. The shipping from the manufacturer will be included in the original cost and is less when shipped in bulk.

Now being honest, I'm going to mention the fly in the ointment:

(Quoting from the original post by DrHubblePhD in the beginning of this thread - I am not asking for donations, money, or a deposit. I'm simply quoting what was initially said about the deposit. I will give a more coherent edit tomorrow.): "In order to produce a prototype for the Mira and secure a production run in the future we need to put money down with the CNC company we have chosen. Instead of asking for donations from a few people I think it would be better that we offer some benefits to everyone on GeekHack who chooses to help produce the Mira!

What it costs: $40 down towards the full purchase of the Mira

What you get in return:
  • You reserve your spot in the first 57 units that will include gold stabs
  • The opportunity to specify which number you would like engraved on your custom center weight (more on this below). Non-pre orders will receive their number in order of purchase, i.e. no say in the matter.
  • Priority for the limited number of boards that will be offered with full assembly
  • Pre-orders will ship first regardless of location and the total volume of the full production run
  • A thank you note from me in the mail with some custom stickers  :p  :))
"

That was quoted from the beginning of the thread. I'm not requesting anything.

I don't know how much money I've put into this, I refuse to count up the money or the hours. The numbering on the first 57 will be done and as far as I know Zeal is donating the gold stabilizers. I cannot donate however much has been put down for the Mira as a deposit. I can try to give you a good board at the best price I can give. I don't expect to make money out of this I just want to see the board completed.
My plan now is to charge everyone the same for the board. If there is an issue or complaint - which I can think of many - go ahead and PM me unless you think it is useful to the community then post it in the thread.

If the group buy is successful I have several other keyboards in the planning/CAD phase and I promise I won't post them until I know they can be produced.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2016, 23:18:36 by Photoelectric »

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #2188 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:21:55 »
Just let me know where you want the deposit sent. Glad to see all your hard work come to fruition

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2189 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:22:08 »
I think i could help numbering the weights. Lmk.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Right now that seems settled and they will get numbered

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2190 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:25:34 »
More

Do you have any keyboards made in Korea?
Do you have any Duck boards? Odds are they were made in China.
I know some of your boards, dude!

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2191 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:28:06 »
Just let me know where you want the deposit sent. Glad to see all your hard work come to fruition

I don't expect a deposit for anything and don't send one somewhere else. When the group buy goes active, I will bill you for the full cost of the board. When I receive the board, pack it, and get the information to ship it to your home I will bill you for the shipping. Once shipping is paid I would like to have it out in 48 hours if I can physically do so.

Offline ika

« Reply #2192 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:32:20 »
I'm confused as to the details of the first 57. Did you mean to copy-paste some of the beginning post regarding the $40 deposit for the first 57 spots?

Offline E3E

« Reply #2193 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:54:14 »
Is the SE just going to be on a higher pricing tier, or are those reserved for those who pre-ordered their Miras or what?

In a call at the moment, so I apologize for sloppy writing, but I HAVE TO KNOW. :P

Also, is the diffuser mandatory like on the 27 or optional?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2194 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 21:01:14 »
I'm confused as to the details of the first 57. Did you mean to copy-paste some of the beginning post regarding the $40 deposit for the first 57 spots?

The OP is in dire need of an update.  Most of what is in the original post was only true at the time it was written.  Much has changed over the course of this interest check thread, including the original organizer completely dropping out of the project, a number of additional prototypes being made, etc.  Pretty sure any money we spent originally has been exhausted (long ago).  This project is now basically a new person doing a "reload" version of the original idea to try to make it happen, but what Dr.Hubble promised (in terms of $40 actually being more of a donation with some perks now instead of a downpayment) and what the reality of the production situation that Ninjadoc has encountered in his attempts to make this keyboard happen might be two very different things.

I think the OP should be preserved in some form and new, up-to-date information should be prominently added to it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2016, 23:06:34 by Photoelectric »

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #2195 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 21:02:26 »

I don't expect a deposit for anything and don't send one somewhere else. When the group buy goes active, I will bill you for the full cost of the board. When I receive the board, pack it, and get the information to ship it to your home I will bill you for the shipping. Once shipping is paid I would like to have it out in 48 hours if I can physically do so.

I PM'd about a deposit as well.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #2196 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 21:58:42 »

Hyperbole much, and a bit ironic considering NASA are using Russian rockets to get in and out of the International Space Station.

The fact that it's designed in the US and "Made in China" is probably the most American thing about the board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2016, 22:12:50 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #2197 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 22:20:15 »

Also, is the diffuser mandatory like on the 27 or optional?

I would like to know this as well.

Pls make it be an optional, I'm not a fan of diffuser  :'(

so, no more deposit right  :(

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #2198 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 22:37:14 »

Hyperbole much, and a bit ironic considering NASA are using Russian rockets to get in and out of the International Space Station.

The fact that it's designed in the US and "Made in China" is probably the most American thing about the board.

Haha!  Fair enough.

On another note.  The latest prototype shots are gorgeous.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2199 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 22:46:17 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 January 2017, 17:00:07 by alienman82 »