Author Topic: Custom GID Resin Cast Case for a 24 Key YMDK Macro Pad  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Fantaku

Custom GID Resin Cast Case for a 24 Key YMDK Macro Pad
« on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:49:22 »
251674-0

Link to Imgur Gallery with full pictures and a bit of writing on the project:

https://imgur.com/gallery/JfEGcIC

This custom GID 24 key macro pad includes:

YMDK 24 key macro PCB kit with 50/50 white led underglow

Hot swap plugs for switches and white shine through leds

Fully custom resin cast GID case

Bottom swapped and lubed NK Gateron Glows

Glow legends inside relegendable keycaps, with o-rings

Custom USB C double sleeved GID paracord and clear PET cable

Took a couple months on and off/ waiting for some parts, but I’m super stoked to finalize the perfect legend layout and hopefully start speeding up my ZBrush workflow a bit with this custom pad!

Offline Fantaku

Re: Custom GID Resin Cast Case for a 24 Key YMDK Macro Pad
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:51:08 »
Not sure if I should have posted this in media, but I figured it might fit here because the case was all custom designed and manufactured by myself.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 03:16:18 »
You posted it in the right place.

It's a very nice and beautiful project.

I also thought about making a resin split keyboard as my girlfriend is into resin jewelry but I'm a bit afraid of bubbles, and also to achieve a desirable feel and quality for a small GB.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 03:55:34 »
You posted it in the right place.

It's a very nice and beautiful project.

I also thought about making a resin split keyboard as my girlfriend is into resin jewelry but I'm a bit afraid of bubbles, and also to achieve a desirable feel and quality for a small GB.

Thank you     :D
As far as bubbles go, they can be solved with a pressure caster, so long as you mold was vacuum degassed when you poured it. But I have been at this type of stuff for quite a few years now, and have a lot of toys to play around with thankfully   ;D. Although I was having some trouble with the surface finish I wanted. Originally I was going for a gloss finish out of the mold, but just didn't get it there, and ended up doing a lightly sanded matte finish which I like more in the end honestly.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 06:11:54 »
Because LEDs alone aren't shiny enough?

Seriously though that's a good looking pad and GID [anything] just makes it better.  Matte finish will stick to the desk better and will be less prone to scratching so that's a bonus :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fpazos

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 16:00:29 »
I also like the mate finish, IMO is better for something you touch a lot.
I haven't any pressure / vacuum pot, usually with other techniques you can cast quality pieces but not 100% bubble free. Maybe time for you to create an interest check and see if people wants to buy it. Resin is awesome for the effects you can create using it.

Enviado desde mi BAH-W09 mediante Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2020, 16:17:58 by fpazos »

Offline BlueberryIsHere

• Formerly KaptainKitsune
  • Just a normal guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 16:16:00 »
That looks pretty nice  :D
I was told to put something here.
So I did

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 16:17:26 »
Because LEDs alone aren't shiny enough?
Show Image

Seriously though that's a good looking pad and GID [anything] just makes it better.  Matte finish will stick to the desk better and will be less prone to scratching so that's a bonus :thumb:

¯_(ツ)_/¯ When I found the glow switches, It just made sense to make it all glowed up  :thumb: Yeah, the matte finish doesn't show scratches as much thankfully too  :) also just kinda frosts the whole thing in such a way that looks more GID-E, than a gloss glowing surface.

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 16:23:24 »
I haven't any pressure / vacuum pot, usually with other techniques you can cast quality pieces but not 100% bubble free. Maybe time for you to create an interest check and see if people wants to buy it. Resin is awesome for the effects you can create using it.

I haven't personally run an interest check before, how might one recommend doing so? What method and platform is most commonly used for setting up a IC form? I considered  offering maybe a case kit for the YMDK pad, or possibly a couple pre-built if people were interested.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 16:55:25 »

I haven't personally run an interest check before, how might one recommend doing so? What method and platform is most commonly used for setting up a IC form? I considered  offering maybe a case kit for the YMDK pad, or possibly a couple pre-built if people were interested.
I neither have run an IC nor a GB but I think you have the most important thing. An interesting product.

I see it as set a price, limit quantity and shipping zone that makes you to feel confortable. Choose if you want to launch some personalization options or similar too. Even you can just create a very limited quantity (five / ten for example) and sell them on r/mechmarket or other platform and if people seems to like it, create more after this.

It is just an idea, I also love to create keyboards but I still don't feel confident about the quality / investment / price / profit / interest that could do it feasible, maybe in a future.

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 06:03:33 »
for anyone here interested, I just made an interest check post. Please give it a look over if you like my macro pad design  ;D

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108617.0

Offline fpazos

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 07:48:18 »
for anyone here interested, I just made an interest check post. Please give it a look over if you like my macro pad design  ;D

I saw it. You should add more info such as you have the pressure pot for quality casts, the motivation behind the creation and this kind of things that people usually add, also if you prefer to limit it to a certain country as international shipping usually is crazy and expensive. I didn't checked your profile before but you have a quite big handicap, you are new and people usually don't trust newcomers. Despite that, good luck with the IC and if it doesn't go well you keep your nice keeb and don't loose anything!!

EDIT: also add the price and options
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2020, 07:52:00 by fpazos »

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 14:44:22 »

I saw it. You should add more info such as you have the pressure pot for quality casts, the motivation behind the creation and this kind of things that people usually add, also if you prefer to limit it to a certain country as international shipping usually is crazy and expensive. I didn't checked your profile before but you have a quite big handicap, you are new and people usually don't trust newcomers. Despite that, good luck with the IC and if it doesn't go well you keep your nice keeb and don't loose anything!!

EDIT: also add the price and options

Hmm, yeah good point, I guess it would help to include a little bit of reference to my background in modelmaking and custom fabricating to make it a little more creditable. Thanks for the suggestion! In the end, I really just wanted to make something cool for myself that I could share with the community, so if I don't sell anything, then oh well. But it would be nice to make something back from keybs somehow to help pay for my hobbies at least  ;)