Author Topic: £220 ($340) budget, brand new to mechanicals.  (Read 2041 times)

Offline eltocliousus

£220 ($340) budget, brand new to mechanicals.
« on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 22:15:59 »
I recently made a thread when deciding between a KBC Poker and a Das, however my budget has more than doubled and I felt I was bordering new territory therefore a new thread seems valid.
I'm brand new to mechanicals, my current keyboard is a $10 wireless chiclet I've been using for 6 months and all the keys have worn out and I feel I deserve something nice to type on, however due to not knowing anything (Other than Filco = good, topre = expensive) I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm not looking for anything specific, I prefer a small design (happy hacking) over the big chunky ones as I never use the numpad, I touch type using my own method (It's a strange method, but I do peak 130wpm) therefore blank keycaps are preferred for the aesthetic and shouldn't hinder my typing, I could probably adapt to an alternative layout.
Switches wise, I'm easy, I play my fair share of games of all types but none of them competitive or serious enough to warrant dedicated switches such as blacks/reds, originally I wanted a blue switch due to the sound but I believe my budget lands me in Topre territory if I was so inclined, but I have no clue on why Topre are so damn expensive and if they're worth it, and how they compare to the Blues (which seems to be most fun to type on coming from a non-experienced point of view).

Due to my budget I can just about grab Happy Hacking professional 2 but I have no idea if they're worth it for such a novice keyboard enthusiast such as myself, at the minute I'm still looking at the KBC Poker just because it's so damn cheap that I can get some luxury caps (if they fit, unsure on this) but I'm definitely willing to listen suggestions, especially regarding the Topres and the happy hacking boards.

Thankyou very much.

Offline eltocliousus

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:20:51 »
**** it I bought a Happy Hacking professional 2, my wallet is raped.

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:29:49 »
Quote from: eltocliousus;540759
**** it I bought a Happy Hacking professional 2, my wallet is raped.

:doh:

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:31:24 »
The thing is that nobody can tell you whether you'll like it or not. You just about have to try it yourself and form your own opinion. You can always sell it on the classifieds if you decide you don't like it. Topres hold their value fairly well.

Offline eltocliousus

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:34:05 »
Quote from: TranscendingLogic;540763
The thing is that nobody can tell you whether you'll like it or not. You just about have to try it yourself and form your own opinion. You can always sell it on the classifieds if you decide you don't like it. Topres hold their value fairly well.

True, plus It'll be in Europe so the buyer would avoid high shipping and custom taxes so I'd probably get quite a bit if I don't enjoy it, but coming from rubber domes/chiclet, I can't see why I wouldn't.

Offline eltocliousus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:34:23 »
Quote from: net2522;540761
:doh:

Was this a bad decision? I've only heard praise from the HHKB range.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:44:52 »
Should have gotten a realforce.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline eltocliousus

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:48:56 »
Quote from: demik;540780
Should have gotten a realforce.

I'm not a massive fan of the large layout personally, but I understand the logic, horses for courses.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:51:20 by eltocliousus »

Offline Human

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:49:33 »
Quote from: eltocliousus;540767
Was this a bad decision? I've only heard praise from the HHKB range.

No, just that you act like a Captain Obvious/Whiner/Attention **** here.

Offline eltocliousus

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 23:55:29 »
Quote from: Human;540786
No, just that you act like a Captain Obvious/Whiner/Attention **** here.

All I asked for was advice on the topre switches as they seem pretty controversial, but it doesn't matter now I made my decision.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 00:01:32 »
Controversial?

In what way? Seems a good percent of the people that have used them love them.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline eltocliousus

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 00:03:55 »
Quote from: demik;540790
Controversial?

In what way? Seems a good percent of the people that have used them love them.

That's good then, I just spoke to a few who thought they were overpriced compared to cherrys, but thanks demik, in hindsight I should have weighed my choice a little better before throwing my money at the HHKB but I can always sell it on to a more deserving owner if I can't do it justice, it's just nice to have nice things.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2012, 01:28:26 by eltocliousus »

fossala

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 02:23:40 »
It was a fantastic choice. I sold one of mine and missed it so much I bought another, type-s this time...

Offline eltocliousus

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 02:28:34 »
Quote from: fossala;540878
It was a fantastic choice. I sold one of mine and missed it so much I bought another, type-s this time...

How long did it take you to adapt to the new layout? I've been reading that the layout was tailor made for UNIX programming but I can see the CTRL and ESC locations being useful in other situations along with normal usage, I'm not sure how I feel about the toggled Backspace/delete key however, It'll probably take me a while to start using FN+Backspace as delete.

fossala

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 02:33:07 »
I have dip switches set to make DELETE - BACKSPACE and use fn+` as del. I have always mapped caps as ctrl so that wasn't a problem.

The first 24hrs your are going to feel a bit meh until your fingers get used to the keys. After that though it is pure bliss.

Offline eltocliousus

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 02:44:32 »
Quote from: fossala;540881
I have dip switches set to make DELETE - BACKSPACE and use fn+` as del. I have always mapped caps as ctrl so that wasn't a problem.

The first 24hrs your are going to feel a bit meh until your fingers get used to the keys. After that though it is pure bliss.

Can't wait to give it a try, my only worry is, I was expecting my first mechanical to be clicky and loud and feel like I'm pushing some serious buttons but from what I've read of the topre, they have some rubber dome qualities, which is strange when you consider the price and whatnot, but going by the reviews and such, I shouldn't be disappointed.

fossala

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 02:48:39 »
They are rubberdomes no question about it. But they feel like no other rubber dome I have tried. They are fun and boucy to type on. What colour did you buy? Blank or non blank? Where did you get it from?