Author Topic: [IC] Greetech switches  (Read 63782 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [IC] Greetech switches
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:59:51 »
We are working on creating sampler packs of Greetechs, but we have to include shipping somehow.
Makes sense, though I does look a bit nicer in this case if shipping wasn't included

We are still working on that. Our whole website is currently based around included shipping.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:12:36 »
(Attachment Link)

100 switches for $40...free shipping stateside...

I'm not seeing that at all. I have to add the switches to my cart before I get that?

Edit: This is what I'm seeing. I see options for the 4 switch types and 10 packs. I don't see the additional price tiers.

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:14:26 by CPTBadAss »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:18:52 »
(Attachment Link)

I'm not seeing that at all. I have to add the switches to my cart before I get that?

Edit: This is what I'm seeing. I see options for the 4 switch types and 10 packs. I don't see the additional price tiers.

Show Image

Yea put it in the cart and the price reflects it
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:59:26 »
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

I see. There is a glitch that I will try to address tomorrow with some of the listings...they should all tier, but I think some of them aren't set up right in the back end. No worries, we will remedy that.

Offline Cideshow

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 22:40:56 »
On the site, the thumbnails for the Reds and Browns look like they have a wide enough pass through to support 4-pin RGB LEDs, whereas the Blues and Blacks look like they have a standard size pass through and would only be able to support normal 2-pin LEDs. Are all the thumbnails correct or are some of them wrong? I'm looking for switches that would support 4-pin RGB LEDs and hoping you're my solution  :)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 07:06:01 »
On the site, the thumbnails for the Reds and Browns look like they have a wide enough pass through to support 4-pin RGB LEDs, whereas the Blues and Blacks look like they have a standard size pass through and would only be able to support normal 2-pin LEDs. Are all the thumbnails correct or are some of them wrong? I'm looking for switches that would support 4-pin RGB LEDs and hoping you're my solution  :)

Ok...the PCB mounted keyswitches have the wider slots, while the plate mount are standard LED size

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 08:16:22 »
I'd *love* a sample of switches.

Maybe you can make a review like you did with the Gateron Blacks? :cool:

Just saw this now. If I can get my hands on Greetech switches, I'd be happy to write a review.

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
  • UKKeycaps.co.uk / MechSupply.co.uk
    • UKKeycaps
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 18:38:18 »
Is there an overall summary of MX clones somewhere on Geekhack. I thought Greetech was just a re-brand of another clone? I might be completely wrong

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 16:36:57 »
I would be interested in a sample pack, 3-5 switches per type.
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:26:02 »
Is there an overall summary of MX clones somewhere on Geekhack. I thought Greetech was just a re-brand of another clone? I might be completely wrong

They are not simply a re-brand, they are current the best, IMO, of the 'clones.' But I believe they are in a class all by themselves, and they are certainly giving Cherry a run for their money.

Overall Quality is there with Greetechs. I now see why Das Keyboard is going with them for all new editions of their 'boards.  :thumb:

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 07:53:19 »
I'd *love* a sample of switches.

Maybe you can make a review like you did with the Gateron Blacks? :cool:

Just saw this now. If I can get my hands on Greetech switches, I'd be happy to write a review.
I think Shadovved sent you some.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 07:56:16 »

Got my samples! Smoother than Kailh and Cherry. Still scratchy, but not so noticeable.

The brown has a much more noticeable bump than GATERON Browns.

Blues are like Cherry Blues.

More you want to know?

Offline pokkuhlag

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 08:34:13 »
Do these have pcb mount? If so how is the fit?

And how is the fit on plate mount holes? I have read that kailh have a tighter fit than cherry and gateron

Any news about the groupbuy dates?
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2015, 08:39:38 by pokkuhlag »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 21:58:19 »
got my sample today. I'll post a real review soon, but these feel really good. Definitely smoother than new Cherry and I like the click on the blues. The bump on the browns is near non-existent though

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 07:18:39 »
got my sample today. I'll post a real review soon, but these feel really good. Definitely smoother than new Cherry and I like the click on the blues. The bump on the browns is near non-existent though
Huh interesting, my Greetech Brown sample is more tactile than its Cherry pendant and I heard others had the same experience. Looks like there's some variation...
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:01:49 by wlhlm »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 07:45:49 »
Huh interesting, my Greetech Brown smaple is more tactile than its Cherry pendant and I heard others had the same experience. Looks like there's some variation...
My sample is definetily tactile. Also, I really like the blues :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 11:27:26 »
Show Image

Got my samples! Smoother than Kailh and Cherry. Still scratchy, but not so noticeable.

More you want to know?

How do the blacks shape up smoothness-wise to Gateron blacks?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 11:38:40 »
Show Image

More you want to know?

How do the blacks shape up smoothness-wise to Gateron blacks?
Nope, unfortunately. They are still smoother than Cherrys.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 13:52:02 »
Huh interesting, my Greetech Brown smaple is more tactile than its Cherry pendant and I heard others had the same experience. Looks like there's some variation...

Weird. Like if you didn't tell me they were tactile, I would just assume they were weird linears. Guess there's some serious variation

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 14:22:14 »
So the sense I'm getting here is that the Blues are the main switch that are really worth buying over any other brand's versions of the same color.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
  • UKKeycaps.co.uk / MechSupply.co.uk
    • UKKeycaps
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 17:10:57 »
If you wanna test these switches out they're available on the UKKeycaps switch testers. They'll be on the mega tester which'll be available soon. If you don't wanna wait you can get them in a custom switch tester  ;D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:27:20 »
Captain BadAss Greetech Mini Review

I was going to write a long review for these switches but honestly, I'm not sure how to. To me, Greetech switches simply feel the way Cherry MX switches wish they did.

The Greetech Red and Black are actually smooth. Not Gateron smooth but better than stock Cherry and almost as good as lubed linears. Red is too light for me but I like the Blacks.

The Greetech Blues feel like Cherry MX Blues. This was the least exciting switch for me because they feel the same. Pretty interchangeable.

The Greetech Browns I could actually see myself using. I find Cherry MX Browns to be horrible. Gritty, with a barely there tactile bump, they're probably my least favorite mechanical keyboard switch. They're like a bad linear switch. The Greetech Browns are like Ergo-Clears (actual ergo clears with the MX Blue/Red/Brown springs) but the bump is 50% of the ergo-clear.

As a random side note, the switches even seem to fit into my plate and keychains a bit tighter. I think that's a good thing.

Honestly, between the Greetech MX-mount switches, Gateron MX-mount switches, and the Zealio switches, I no longer see myself using actual Cherry MX. For a cheaper price, I get a better product. It will be very nice to be able to just slap switches into a build without lubing or spring swapping. Goodbye Cherry MX. It was a good run while it lasted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:36:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:31:29 »
I was going to write a long review for these switches but honestly, I'm not sure how to. To me, Greetech switches simply feel the way Cherry MX switches wish they did.

The Greetech Red and Black are actually smooth. Not Gateron smooth but better than stock Cherry and almost as good as lubed linears. Red is too light for me but I like the Blacks.

The Greetech Blues feel like Cherry MX Blues. This was the least exciting switch for me because they feel the same. Pretty interchangeable.

The Greetech Browns I could actually see myself using. I find Cherry MX Browns to be horrible. Gritty, with a barely there tactile bump, they're probably my least favorite mechanical keyboard switch. They're like a bad linear switch. The Greetech Browns are like Ergo-Clears (actual ergo clears with the MX Blue/Red/Brown springs) but the bump is 50% of the ergo-clear.

Honestly, between the Greetech MX-mount switches and Gateron MX-mount switches, I no longer see myself using actual Cherry MX. For a cheaper price, I get a better product. It will be very nice to be able to just slap switches into a build without lubing or spring swapping. Goodbye Cherry MX. It was a good run while it lasted.
I totally agree with you, I literally never use cherry switches anymore, I feel like the company is just resting on all their deals providing for pre-built boards to the point where they no longer need to stay competitive or even relevant. My question is, are Greetech browns worth it over the Gateron equivalents do you think?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:41:50 »
I have some samples I can send out if someone want to try

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:43:24 »
I totally agree with you, I literally never use cherry switches anymore, I feel like the company is just resting on all their deals providing for pre-built boards to the point where they no longer need to stay competitive or even relevant.

I've heard rumors that ZF Electronics was considering dumping Cherry MX switches altogether. You have to remember that we are a tiny niche market for them and they probably don't really care much about updating their products to support a small market. But to be fair, they are coming out with that Cherry Silent thing for the Corsair boards.

My question is, are Greetech browns worth it over the Gateron equivalents do you think?

The Gateron Browns from what I remember, felt like Cherry MX Clears. The Greetech Browns feel like what Cherry MX Browns should have felt like.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:43:58 »
I'd love to try some, I know that someone else is doing your groupbuy shipping for the US, but is there any chance you could just package the switches with my GB order?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:45:07 »
I'd love to try some, I know that someone else is doing your groupbuy shipping for the US, but is there any chance you could just package the switches with my GB order?
I am doing the shipping for the US :)

Yeah I could, if you send me an email about it. Else, I won't remember :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:45:59 »
I am doing the shipping for the US :)

Yeah I could, if you send me an email about it. Else, I won't remember :)
Ok, I'll shoot you an email later today, thanks!

The Gateron Browns from what I remember, felt like Cherry MX Clears. The Greetech Browns feel like what Cherry MX Browns should have felt like.
Huh, that hasn't been my experience so much, but I'll be interested to see what the browns are like when I manage to get my hands on some.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:48:19 »
Huh, that hasn't been my experience so much, but I'll be interested to see what the browns are like when I manage to get my hands on some.

I should probably have prefaced my statement with I really really hate (and I do mean hate) and generally ignore any switch with the word Brown in it. My whole lens of MX-mount tactile switches is through Clears.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:52:15 »
I should probably have prefaced my statement with I really really hate (and I do mean hate) and generally ignore any switch with the word Brown in it. My whole lens of MX-mount tactile switches is through Clears.
Haha ok, I can identify with that to some extent, in my experience browns have always just felt like the variety of switch that isn't committing at all in any direction. Not quite as bad as reds imo, but still not my fav.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:53:12 »
I feel like the greetech browns are more tactile than GATERON Browns, but not like MX clears at all. Nowhere near.