Author Topic: [IC] Nebula Switch - GB Delayed  (Read 20850 times)

Offline swagtronx

[IC] Nebula Switch - GB Delayed
« on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 23:29:07 »
--GB delayed until late Feb./early March because I've been informed by JWK that they are not starting any new projects until after the Chinese New Year. I will be coordinating with vendors that still want to proxy and start getting everything finalized and in place, so that the GB is launched by all vendors simultaneously in a couple of months.

After speaking with Cobertt and a couple experienced vendors, it makes sense to us to delay now and then start the GB when JWK can commence work on the project, assuming it's successful. Thank you everyone for your interest and input!
--

Introducing the Nebula Switch, a Prevail x Cobertt collab, this is our first switch from our upcoming Galaxy Series. Being avid fans of anything space related, we wanted to theme these switches after various entities found in the endless reaches of the universe. Cobertt is known from the MechGroupBuys community and owner of Control On Caps, he brings a decade of experience in the hobby. This switch will come in a full milky housing, in a custom colorway.

Additionally, we are commissioning new stem molds from Durock, these will be longer linear stems to further provide a nicer thock, similar to NK Cream or Halo stems. Stem length is just a hair longer than a Cream stem but shorter than a Halo stem. Lastly, these will come with 67g gold plated Durock progressive springs, these springs are lighter to start then get exponentially heavier from actuation to bottom out, to give that nice soft & bouncier bottom out.

Please fill out the IC form linked below. All feedback is welcome, good, bad and ugly, this is our first IC but I have thick skin and all criticism is welcome.

Renders by Lizcuits

IC Form | Prevail Discord | Prevail Key Co. | Cobertt's Discord | Control On Caps

Nebula Switch Information
  • Manufactured by Durock
  • MOQ 100k, price is being finalized but will be between .75-.80c each ($7.50-8.00 per 10 pack) 0.75c ea, or $7.50 per 10 pack retail price
  • Full milky housing, materials are PC top housing & nylon bottom housing
  • Unique nebula purple colorway, dark purple with very tiny white specks to emulate a nebula seen in space
  • New custom linear stem molds
  • Durock 67g Progressive springs, manually assembled in the factory so they are oriented correctly
  • Very light factory lube, can be lubed over
Vendors
US: Prevail Key Co.
CA: AlphaKeys

UK: Prototypist
Asia: Monstargear

EU: TBA
OCE: TBA
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2020, 14:21:02 by swagtronx »

Offline swagtronx

Re: [IC] Nebula Switch
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 23:30:52 »
Updates - 12.21.2020
  • IC has been live for a bit now, as of this update there's been about 290 responses recorded.
  • Majority of users that filled out the IC want to keep the 67g progressive spring, we will be keeping this weight.
  • Switch will be sold in packs of 10 as this is what the majority of IC respondents wanted.
  • For transparency, most do not want factory lube on this switch, there was a small but not insignificant number that doesn't care. We will still be moving forward with light factory lube on the switch that can be lubed over.
  • Reason being, we are wanting the switch to be a good stock experience for enthusiasts, new and experienced, to enjoy without modding if they choose not to. Since it can be lubed over for those who will modify as they see fit,
    we see no issues with this decision currently.
  • We're discussing orientation of the progressive spring, we realize there's some debate that it may not matter enough to warrant a higher cost but on the other side of the coin, some vendors such as TKC abandoned their progressive spring idea due to orientation of the spring being unreliable. We haven't heard from TKC if they attempted manual spring installation or if this was due to machines being too unreliable to orient the springs correctly. Other vendors such as Thic Thock had their progressive springs in the marshmallow switch manually installed.
  • If we choose to forego manual spring installation, this would drop the price to a firm .75c ea instead of the .80c price point that we're leaning heavily towards currently.
  • Lastly, Durock/JWK will not let us use full nylon or full POM on the switch idea due to the former being exclusive to CK and the latter being too new for JWK to produce it in custom colors (they basically said no, not right now). So we're seeing if they're willing to do a nylon blend for the top housing, if not then we'll move forward with PC top housing/nylon bottom housing.
Updates - 12.23.2020
  • We will not be doing manual spring installation, this will bring the price down to 0.75c per switch since orientation doesn't matter enough when most will be opening the switch up.
  • Will have a disclaimer for this during the GB phase with imagery to show how to properly orient the spring manually.
  • There still small margin for error for manual installation, not as much as machine assembled but some of the feedback mentioned not having manual installation to see if cost could be brought down.
  • Added proxy vendors for CA, UK & Asia

To-Do
  • Working with Lizcuits to try and get renders updated to more accurately reflect changes on the newer v2 stem and progressive spring. Thank you to Theremingoat and others for pointing these details out.
  • Contact remaining vendors to proxy the switch in other regions.
  • Confirm final details with Durock before moving to GB phase.
  • Launch the GB simultaneously across all vendors.
Being so close to the holidays, we'll be eyeing to start the GB sometime in January assuming no hiccups between now and then. We're completely happy with the amount of responses and feedback gathered so far and a huge thank you to everyone that filled out the IC.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2020, 10:47:45 by swagtronx »

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 23:32:51 »
please please nylon top and bottom, don't want anymore PC top nylon bottoms...

would it be possible to have the switch dry - no factory lube?

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 23:40:00 »
oh pog, a linear that isn't a copy lol.

Offline GMK83

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 23:47:37 »
 Glad to see this isn’t another recolor, and that you’re going with a longer stem for that bottom out goodness.  Would be so much better sounding if the top was nylon as well IMO.

Offline Cobertt

• Control on Caps
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 23:52:14 »

Unfortunately, we asked about doing a full nylon switch, but we were told that the full nylon housings were a CannonKeys exclusive with their Lilac switch. The goal was for this switch to be usable right out of the package. For that reason we chose to use a light amount of lube straight from the factory. In my experience, with the light lube, you can lube right over with 205g0 or whatever your preference of lube is and have no issues. We appreciate the feedback!
HHKB Pro2 | Mira SE | FJELL | KARA HAZE | CW88 FNF WKL Wine | HHKB Prophet | Tengu | Prototype CW60 HHKB Skunkworxxx | Prototype K80 | Tokyo60 | Gingko65Midway LEKei | Frog TKL | Saturn60

Offline MrMar

• Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 00:16:58 »
I'm ready to give you money now. In. Very happy to see such a unique linear. thank you.

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 00:26:07 »

Unfortunately, we asked about doing a full nylon switch, but we were told that the full nylon housings were a CannonKeys exclusive with their Lilac switch. The goal was for this switch to be usable right out of the package. For that reason we chose to use a light amount of lube straight from the factory. In my experience, with the light lube, you can lube right over with 205g0 or whatever your preference of lube is and have no issues. We appreciate the feedback!

Interesting! Thank you for addressing the feedback. Looking forward to more vendors being announced.

Offline dandruff

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 00:28:34 »
Not a linear user, but good looking switch, good specs, and pretty colors? Hope it goes well! GLWIC  :thumb:

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 01:25:58 »
Do I have enough geekhack posts to get in this GB

Offline ddnomad

[IC] Nebula Switch
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 02:23:26 »
0.75-0.80 per switch is chonky

Offline huey

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 02:59:43 »
That price is atrocious. We don't need more JWK linears on the market.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 04:57:47 »

I'd bet the custom stem plays a role in this. Even then, cheaper than some linears like Tealios and same price as other ones like Inks. I'd be in for 100 of these
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 07:20:55 »

It's a bit high but it's not just a recolor. The base price on the switch, even at the high MOQ is higher for these reasons:

• The colorway is two separate colors, the milky dark purple and the white specs. From what we're being told, first the milky purple is done then the white specks are added during a 2nd process, so this raised the cost.
  • New custom stem molds, as someone mentioned, also raised the cost.
  • Progressive springs have to be oriented the correct way in the switch to work properly (not speaking down to anyone just explaining), so we're having all springs on these switches inserted manually by hand. So naturally, this raised the base cost of the switch.

Our goal is to have a stock switch that provides a nice thocky sound, pleasant typing experience and unique colorway, all stock and under $1 ea.

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 07:25:17 »

It's a bit high but it's not just a recolor. The base price on the switch, even at the high MOQ is higher for these reasons:

• The colorway is two separate colors, the milky dark purple and the white specs. From what we're being told, first the milky purple is done then the white specks are added during a 2nd process, so this raised the cost.
  • Progressive springs have to be oriented the correct way in the switch to work properly (not speaking down to anyone just explaining), so we're having all springs on these switches inserted manually by hand. So naturally, this raised the base cost of the switch.

Our goal is to have a stock switch that provides a nice thocky sound, pleasant typing experience and unique colorway, all stock and under $1 ea.
I’m wondering whether having that progressive spring actually makes sense, given that it influences the price considerably.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but a big part of community members has their own “spring of choice”, which may include weight, manufacturer and type (linear / progressive / slow etc).

So the first thing I’d do to any switch is to swap the spring to TX 65g just because I’m used to those and I know they are good.

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 07:48:31 »

I’m wondering whether having that progressive spring actually makes sense, given that it influences the price considerably.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but a big part of community members has their own “spring of choice”, which may include weight, manufacturer and type (linear / progressive / slow etc).

So the first thing I’d do to any switch is to swap the spring to TX 65g just because I’m used to those and I know they are good.

Totally understand that and hopefully the other aspects of the switch are still appealing to everyone that plans (or would plan) on spring swapping. This is our idea to bring a marshmallow-like switch to market with the new stem and unique color. We did think about not doing progressives, but we feel this is the way to go with this project.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:14:53 »
I want dis

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:18:12 »
The statement of a progressive spring being included really churns up a big question here:

Is Durock capable of installing progressive springs correctly? While I am dubious as to the claim that progressive springs are polar and require orientation that an assembly line might not be capable of doing on their own, TKC (who also uses JWK) had cut the progressive springs out of their fruit line due to an issue with orientation in factory.

As well, when you discuss custom molds, are you only talking about the stem or are you also talking about the housings?

Edit: I can actually read.

If springs are being installed by hand, why not offer to sell these in component pieces much like Gazzew has sold his Outemu Sky switches in the past in order to both save on costs and drive interest? I think currently a big hangup for a lot of people is this steep per-switch pricetag.

As well, will switches being going out to streamers, reviewers, etc. in advance of sale?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:30:12 by ThereminGoat »

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:31:49 »
The statement of a progressive spring being included really churns up a big question here:

Is Durock capable of installing progressive springs correctly? While I am dubious as to the claim that progressive springs are polar and require orientation that an assembly line might not be capable of doing on their own, TKC (who also uses JWK) had cut the progressive springs out of their fruit line due to an issue with orientation in factory.

As well, when you discuss custom molds, are you only talking about the stem or are you also talking about the housings?

If springs are being installed by hand, why not offer to sell these in component pieces much like Gazzew has sold his Outemu Sky switches in the past in order to both save on costs and drive interest? I think currently a big hangup for a lot of people is this steep per-switch pricetag.

Unfortunately I have to go by their word that they can do manual assembly correctly with low rate of error, but it's a valid concern. I will be talking more with JWK about the issues TKC experienced and see if they can shed some light with specifics.

Also the component idea isn't bad at all, but in general we're trying to reach a broad audience with a switch that hopefully appeals to most people especially newcomers. They can get this switch (especially if inexperienced) and use them stock for what we're hoping is a pleasant typing experience right out the gate.

As the IC moves along, we'll definitely be looking at all feedback (good & bad! we're not soft) and posting updates.

Offline Cobertt

• Control on Caps
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 09:16:34 »

As well, will switches being going out to streamers, reviewers, etc. in advance of sale?

To piggy back on Swag's response to this. We have thought about component pieces, as someone who spends a significant amount of time frankenswitching, I know I appreciated Gazzew's approach. It's something we can look further into. Thanks for the feedback, Theremingoat. We definitely appreciate it.
HHKB Pro2 | Mira SE | FJELL | KARA HAZE | CW88 FNF WKL Wine | HHKB Prophet | Tengu | Prototype CW60 HHKB Skunkworxxx | Prototype K80 | Tokyo60 | Gingko65Midway LEKei | Frog TKL | Saturn60

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 17:58:42 »
I've been using creampacas with progressive springs for a few months now and they're fantastic switches. Having a stock option even at this price is great, and I'm really interested to see how they look in person.

Offline andromache

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 18:53:38 »
I hope these turn out as pretty in reality as they are in the renders. I love progressive springs, excited to try them with this stem/housing.

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 20:45:40 »
Nice to hear it'll be a bit different from simply being another JWK linear clone.
I like the colourway, but I'll reserve judgment until I see prototypes. Wuque Studio's OA switches turned out to look completely different from initial renders.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 22:53:08 »
look I'll buy and frankenswitch anyways, but if there's components I'd probably get more. not gonna go much lighter than vint black/h1...

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
[IC] Nebula Switch
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 23:26:48 »
Interested!!!

ps...filled out IC form
The weight is perfect, please don’t change anything about current model, keep long stem & 67g progressive spring! Great job on this unique switch too!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2020, 01:12:07 by William_S_Jones »

Offline elisyan

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 23:39:04 »
Will these have the standard 4mm travel or reduced travel due to the longer stem? I am definitely a fan of the long stem sound profile but don't usually frankenswitch with them because they often reduce travel.

While 67g is not terribly heavy, my anecdotal experience with non-keeb people is that they dislike heavier-than-mainstream switches. I'm concerned about how much the pricing is affected by the progressive spring especially at the weight it's being offered at.

Offline FamilyJoule924

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 01:57:58 »
i'd like a 62 gram version if at all possible ... i'm not a fan of 67 gram switches

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 04:02:09 »
I am quite confused by the association of Holy Pandas and 'thock'.

Topre thocks, some Cherry MX switches within the right configuration can get thocky, Zilents in some cases can too. But I would definitely not describe Holy Pandas as being a thocky switch; they produce in the majorité of cases a higher pitched 'pop'.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 04:09:21 »
I am quite confused by the association of Holy Pandas and 'thock'.

Topre thocks, some Cherry MX switches within the right configuration can get thocky, Zilents in some cases can too. But I would definitely not describe Holy Pandas as being a thocky switch; they produce in the majorité of cases a higher pitched 'pop'.

I agree.  As a tactile switch I feel they work better when on a solid base and allowed to click not thock.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 08:03:37 »
Will these have the standard 4mm travel or reduced travel due to the longer stem? I am definitely a fan of the long stem sound profile but don't usually frankenswitch with them because they often reduce travel.

While 67g is not terribly heavy, my anecdotal experience with non-keeb people is that they dislike heavier-than-mainstream switches. I'm concerned about how much the pricing is affected by the progressive spring especially at the weight it's being offered at.

I agree with the weight, but with progressives they start roughly 8-10g lighter at the key press and then get heavier from actuation to bottom out at an exponential rate (it's morning for me and I haven't had a lot of coffee, so if this inaccurate please by all means correct me). So they're nothing like slows, they won't feel as heavy to type on compared to a slow spring in an equivalent weight.

Also I just got a response about the travel distance since someone else asked about it, I'm being told travel distance will be reduced by about 0.5mm because of the stem. So roughly 3.5mm travel distance for this switch.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 08:24:35 »
Will be following this closely!

#lineargang

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
[IC] Nebula Switch
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 09:16:38 »
[mention]Swagtronix [/mention] Please don’t change anything about the current switch setup I love it the way it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jesus

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 13:10:51 »
those colors are amazing, im in just to put them in switch jars lol.

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 13:13:18 »
those colors are amazing, im in just to put them in switch jars lol.
thats my job

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 15:46:12 »
Please no long stem, it is not good from a design perspective. It puts pressure on one thin point of the switch
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 17:11:12 »
Please no long stem, it is not good from a design perspective. It puts pressure on one thin point of the switch
It sounds dope though

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 02:37:15 »

I come back to this only to see that it seems the choices are either locked in or just... not great for what durock/JWK is capable of. I put my suggestions in the IC form, but it looks like nothing is changing, sad.
Might buy it for the housings, but materials say a different story.

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 05:06:13 »
The orientation of progressive springs doesn't even matter.
The force that applies to the spring is the same either way.

Like yeah, if you're talking about competitive car suspensions in optimal scenarios, the tighter(softer) part of the spring would become a non-spring weight after compressing so it could matter.
but come on, it's just a spring that weighs nothing.

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 08:15:58 »

I come back to this only to see that it seems the choices are either locked in or just... not great for what durock/JWK is capable of. I put my suggestions in the IC form, but it looks like nothing is changing, sad.
Might buy it for the housings, but materials say a different story.

We're still leaving the IC up and have more responses trickling in. It's also close to the holidays, so we're not rushing through and combing through everything just yet.

That being said, we're pretty firm on most aspects of the switch but we still want to see what people within the community think. Doesn't mean we're going to immediately make changes when someone suggests something.

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 08:53:44 »
Posted some updates, thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 04:52:26 »
GIVE. ME. THE. LONGBOI. POLE.

Offline Smoothie

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 21:06:20 »
I didn't need a reason to spend more money but damnit I'm spending more money on these.

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 17:49:12 »
love the look

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 14:20:37 »
GB delayed a couple of months, please see top of the first post for details.

Offline FamilyJoule924

Re: [IC] Nebula Switch - GB Delayed
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 23:32:41 »
any way to do a 62g version alongside the 67?

Offline 5eppa

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 19:39:54 »
Very interested. Will keep a look out for the GB when the time comes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2021, 20:05:47 by 5eppa »

Offline rillystar

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 13:41:14 »
I just found this. I love the look. Will def be keeping an eye out for this GB when it goes live.

Offline shimalazor

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 09:52:35 »
Any news on this? They're so cool