Author Topic: JD45 Keyboard by Carpe Keyboards  (Read 158824 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: JD45 Keyboard by Carpe Keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:52:26 »
Thanks a lot Ron!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 19:55:54 »
Greetings Alternative Keyboard Fans!

Here is the JD45 13x4 PCB (v.141019g5 to be precise.)

It has:

- Original JD45 layout, including split "spacebar".
 - Cherry MX and Alps compatibility.
 - Optional upper RH 2x position.
 - Four different bottom row modifier options (three 1.25 plus one 1.0 on each side -- arrange them as you like.)
 - Spacebar can be either dual 1.75 keycaps OR a 6.0 spacebar.  (Stabilizer mounts not included.)
 - Support for PCB-mount switches.
 - All diodes have identical orientation and are marked on both front and back sides for easy placement.
 - Teensy 2.0 with no diodes or resistors hiding underneath!

And...

- Full backlighting with PWM brightness control.

Because only one row has more than 12 columns, I wired the 13th switch as Row 4, Col 12.  This could be changed.  Also, the PCB is exactly 9.75" x 3.00", although that too can be changed if extra room is desired for mounting holes.

There are lots of leftover pins, so if I should wire one or two as (e.g.) CAPS or NUM, just let me know which switch(es) should have those LEDs.

Current Matrix is:

COL1  B3
COL2  B7
COL3  D0
COL4  D1
COL5  D2
COL6  D3
COL7  C6
COL8  C7
COL9  B5
COL10 B4
COL11 D6
COL12 B6

ROW1  F0
ROW2  F1
ROW3  F4
ROW4  F5

LED01  D7 (PWM)

Please let me know what is next.  Naturally, JD has veto over everything, including any changes.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.

p.s.  The LED circuit is powered by a Fairchild MPSA29 3-pin transistor, which costs 54 cents at Mouser.  As requested elsewhere, I placed its solder pads with 0.10" (2.54mm) spacing to enable easier soldering.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:03:52 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 12:16:38 »
PCB-mounted stabs, please. :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 12:22:58 »
Looks great, Ron. As always with you. :)

I'm not sure that is feasible, with the constraints of the traces and holes for switch mounting options.

You can always use it with no stabilizers, as was my original design intention.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 13:22:24 »
I was wanting a JD40, but this is awesomer...

(I am an English Graduate, I allow myself to invent that word. :)))
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:38:51 »
Thanks!  PM me your logo, please.

I think I can fit stab mounts for the 6.0 spacebar.  However, I do not know how available those spacebars actually are.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Looks great, Ron. As always with you. :)

I'm not sure that is feasible, with the constraints of the traces and holes for switch mounting options.

You can always use it with no stabilizers, as was my original design intention.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 11:31:14 »
Two things:

#1 I cannot find definitive spacings for the 6.0 spacebar mounts.  Cherry, Blackwidow, and SP seem to be different.  And even DT does not have spacing listed for the 6.0 stems.  I'll try and measure a DSA 6.0 spacebar I happen to have, but so far, no stab mounts.

#2 Big Logo, little board.  How large should be, and should it step on switch, diode, and position numbering legends?  As a test, I scaled it to .75" tall, and slammed it over the Teensy.  The attached image is in 1:1 scale at 72DPI.

JD, Q2 is for you.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 15:53:12 »
Let me see if I can get some 6.0 spacebar measurements for you, Ron. I have lots of those offset Cherry ones from G8X-1800s.

The Cherry 6.0-unit spacebar has stems that are 3.75" between the outer (stabilizer) stems. The stem for the switch is offset 0.375" to the right of center.

The SP DSA 6.0-unit and TG3-BL82 6.0-unit spacebars both have stems that are 3.00" between the outer (stabilizer) stems, with a centered spacebar stem.

As for the logo, I don't mind if it overlaps things. Sort of like how the [CTRL]ALT 60 looks, if you have seen that. You could try it at 1", but anywhere between 0.5"-1.0" should look fine. I leave placement to your discretion. :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 November 2014, 16:53:22 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 18:46:53 »
Ok, since I have the switch centered, I'll go with the 3.0" stabs. Also <sigh> I might as well add an offset position for those Cherry spacebars.

Re the logo, unless you object, I will put it where it is in the mock-up.  Please PM me with any other text you would like on the silkscreen layers.

Thanks for the quick reply!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Let me see if I can get some 6.0 spacebar measurements for you, Ron. I have lots of those offset Cherry ones from G8X-1800s.

The Cherry 6.0-unit spacebar has stems that are 3.75" between the outer (stabilizer) stems. The stem for the switch is offset 0.375" to the right of center.

The SP DSA 6.0-unit and TG3-BL82 6.0-unit spacebars both have stems that are 3.00" between the outer (stabilizer) stems, with a centered spacebar stem.

As for the logo, I don't mind if it overlaps things. Sort of like how the [CTRL]ALT 60 looks, if you have seen that. You could try it at 1", but anywhere between 0.5"-1.0" should look fine. I leave placement to your discretion. :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 18:49:49 »
Dear samwisekoi,

Thanks for making the PCB for this board. I'm extremely excited for yet another of JD's wonderful boards but my wallet is already crying. So maybe I shouldn't be thanking you :P.

Sincerely,

Captain BadAss

(But seriously, it boggles my mind how fast you whipped together the KiCad file for this board. You're awesome :) )

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 19:44:50 »
(But seriously, it boggles my mind how fast you whipped together the KiCad file for this board. You're awesome :) )

I cheated.

Here is the temporary silkscreen layout.  Outline logo is temporary.

Off to dinner.

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Sat, 01 November 2014, 19:53:47 by samwisekoi »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 09:51:39 »
Ok, now we have:

- Filled JD45 logo centered and placed to avoid holes.
 - Moved switch legends to avoid logo.
 - PCB-mount stabilizer support for SP 6.0x spacebar.

I could not add an offset spacebar location AND retain Alps compatibility for the split "spacebar" position, so I did NOT include support for the 6.0 Cherry offset spacebar.  Sorry.

JD45 PCB v.141019h3 by samwisekoi 2014

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 08:37:26 »
It is beautiful!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 08:47:14 »
Ron, would it be possible to add stabilizer holes for the 2.0-unit backspace? Other than that, it looks great!!

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 09:36:32 »
Done.  Ugly trace mods, but done.  Cheap little PCB as well.

JD45 PCB v.141019h5 Final Candidate 2

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 November 2014, 09:41:28 by samwisekoi »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 11:44:03 »
Would it be prudent to include a few mounting holes, do you think?

in memoriam

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 11:49:59 »
I don't want to sound like a jerk, I really appreciate your work Ron, however I think you should try to avoid the use of right angles in traces, it's just a bad practice, I know it has become less of a problem, but I still think it should be avoided if possible.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 19:57:58 »
Would it be prudent to include a few mounting holes, do you think?

Did you notice the FC2?  Final Candidate 1 had corner mounting holes, but they were too tight.  I can bring them back, but to do so it would be best to add some board space on the edges.  Shall I?

I don't want to sound like a jerk, I really appreciate your work Ron, however I think you should try to avoid the use of right angles in traces, it's just a bad practice, I know it has become less of a problem, but I still think it should be avoided if possible.

Hmmm. Really?  Do you think it matters for a digital circuit this small?  What I miss are rounded corners and curved traces from hand-drawn silkscreen masks, but that isn't really an option.   I can make more diagonals, but PCB-mount holes are a real constraint to a good radial layout.

But seriously, do you think there is a difference in signal strength or reliability from right angles on a board this small?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 23:35:31 »
As I wrote in my earlier post, it probably really doesn't make a difference, but just for best practice.

Edit: And it looks pretty :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 00:39:30 by MOZ »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 12:12:07 »
As I wrote in my earlier post, it probably really doesn't make a difference, but just for best practice.

Edit: And it looks pretty :)

Hmmm.  I agree that a board designed with the aesthetics of diagonal traces in mind looks really good.  However, I think that a retrofit often looks worse:

JD45 PCB v141019h6 (with diagonal traces) by samwisekoi 2014

I don't think I am going to take this any further.  I will probably re-do the upper-right corner, simply because it is too crowded no matter what,

Also, I think if I grow the PCB from 9.75" x 3.0" to 10.0" x 3.0", I can place mounting holes in the four corner without compromise.  So I will do that.

But not this morning.  My PCB layout time is over for the day.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 15:43:49 »
Oh gawd, that PCB. hahahahahaha

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:12:25 »
Okay.  Final Candidate 3.

- Dimensions are now 10.00" x 3.00"
 - Four mounting holes at .125" in from each corner, .125" (3.2mm) diameter.
 - Added extra pads: Ground, V+ (5v), Spare_1 (B1), Spare_2 (B2)
 - Moderate clean-up of upper RH corner (now with more diagonals!)

JD45 PCB v141019h7 Final Candidate 3 by samwisekoi

Enjoy!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s. No matter what, that upper RH stabilizer has to be very close to the Teensy's solder pads.  I believe it will work with the latching stab mounts, but I don't have one of the new screw-in PCB-mount stabs to test.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:19:35 by samwisekoi »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:34:21 »
Da best!

Time for prototypes...

in memoriam

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:49:52 »
I've seen no mention off it in the thread but the PCB won't be ISO-ready ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 10:00:28 »
What is this ISO? Never heard of it. ;)

This little beast uses a 1.75-unit key where Enter would be. With these few keys, I don't believe ISO Enter would be any advantage.

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 10:22:00 »
Da best!

Time for prototypes...

Thank you very much.  We should have a real-time conversation about next steps.  I'll send you an e-mail when I get in to the office in a short while.

What is this ISO? Never heard of it. ;)

This little beast uses a 1.75-unit key where Enter would be. With these few keys, I don't believe ISO Enter would be any advantage.

Also, totally wouldn't fit!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline pharaoh

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 00:47:37 »
I'm really looking forward to this board :3
hhkb type-s| jd40 | jd45 | keycool87

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 18:37:13 »
Depending on timing, I could pitch in to be a beta tester. PM me if that's a third wheel you'd want to attach to this rolling monst^H^H^H project.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 11:58:00 »
So....

A little update for you guys.

Completely unbeknownst to Ron (samwisekoi) and everyone in this thread, when I first dreamed up this idea, I asked Joey Quinn to help me by making a PCB using SMT components. When Ron posted his first iteration of the through hole and Teensy version, I thought it was different enough to proceed with both versions. So now, as of this moment, there exist two (basically) complete PCB designs for the JD45. Ron's version, which uses a Teensy 2.0 for a controller, through hole electronics, and SUPPORTS FULL LED BACKLIGHTING. And Joey Quinn's version, which uses SMT electronics and an ATmega32U4 for a controller, has pads and holes for LEDs, but no traces to them (same as in the JD40).

In a departure from the JD40, you DO NOT need a plate for switch mounting. Heck, you don't even NEED stabilizers, since the "default" configuration uses a split spacebar, with no keys on the board over 1.75-units. Of course, I can have some plates made, if people want or need them.

Another difference between the two PCB versions you will notice immediately is the logo design. Both logos were designed by lastpilot. The one I gave Ron is the GH60 logo, modified by me for the JD45. The one I gave Joey Quinn was made for me by lastpilot specifically for the JD40, but I modified it just slightly to work with the JD45. HUGE THANKS TO LASTPILOT FOR HIS OUTSTANDING LOGO DESIGNS!!

If anyone is interested in testing a prototype JD45, and being one of the first to have the JD45 experience, I'm looking to sell some beta testing spots to fund the prototypes. Cost will be around $27 per board, plus shipping (first class in a bubble mailer). This initial run will be Ron's through hole-and-Teensy version. In the near future, I will do the same for Joey Quinn's SMT version. REMINDER THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE THAT PROTOTYPE BOARDS WILL FUNCTION CORRECTLY, IF AT ALL.

Ron has said he will post a render of his final design in this thread when he gets a chance. In the meantime, here is a render of the Joey Quinn PCB:

The #hype is real. :D

in memoriam

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 12:19:10 »
In.
PM inbound.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 12:19:57 »
Sent you some messages JD :).

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 12:37:28 »

You want it cuz its purple... ;D

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 12:59:07 »

You want it cuz its purple... ;D Whoops...connection timed out.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:05:04 »
I love the look of OSH park boards. Purple FTW!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:07:11 »

Speaking of this...who's the manufacturers of the white PCBs? Like the Phantom ones or the (I think) manufacturer of xwhatsit's controllers?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:24:50 »

Speaking of this...who's the manufacturers of the white PCBs? Like the Phantom ones or the (I think) manufacturer of xwhatsit's controllers?

Most PCB fabs have white as an option. I like white, but I'm leaning toward blue.

in memoriam

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:31:44 »
Blue would be sweet, what company does that color.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:34:39 »
Blue would be sweet, what company does that color.

Most fabs seem to offer green, white, black, red, blue, or yellow soldermask. With black, white, or yellow silkscreen.

in memoriam

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:41:33 »
ooh, yellow on black sounds nice. But black text on a red board could be cool too.

MK has expanded their collection of PCB mount switches ... I'm thinking this is the time to get some MX greens.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 09:15:54 »
So now we have to compete for affection?  JD says he loves us both equally...

JD45 through-hole PCB in White-on-Blue with full backlighting:

JD45 PCB v141019h7 by samwisekoi 2014.

Also, please note that this would be the first time almost any of us will actually see the "GH60" unicorn logo.  :cool:

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 November 2014, 09:34:26 by samwisekoi »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:39:29 »
If anyone is interested in testing a prototype JD45, and being one of the first to have the JD45 experience, I'm looking to sell some beta testing spots to fund the prototypes. Cost will be around $27 per board, plus shipping (first class in a bubble mailer). This initial run will be Ron's through hole-and-Teensy version. In the near future, I will do the same for Joey Quinn's SMT version. REMINDER THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE THAT PROTOTYPE BOARDS WILL FUNCTION CORRECTLY, IF AT ALL.

I've had a few people send me money already, and I THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your support, and for helping me fund a small round of prototype boards.

ANYONE ESLE WANT IN??

I would like to get these ordered in the very near future, if anyone is interested in being one of the first to have and test the JD45 PCB.

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:42:59 »
I think this time I will wait until the bugs are worked out. But looking forward to seeing this board made.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:06:40 »
in in in,

weirdly i just pm'd you before seeing this.

in 4 2, one for me and one for bunny - you getting cases cut?

I can get some cut here if you let me have a copy of the dxf.

I got boards.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:08:52 »
in in in,

weirdly i just pm'd you before seeing this.

in 4 2, one for me and one for bunny - you getting cases cut?

I can get some cut here if you let me have a copy of the dxf.

+ 1
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 15:30:00 »
PM sent. Very keen to test one of these. It looks like the perfect evolution of the JD40 layout.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline adrl

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 16:33:07 »
I might be interested.

What extra parts are needed other than pcb and switches?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 18:46:21 »
I might be interested.

What extra parts are needed other than pcb and switches?
The first round will require a Teensy 2.0 and through hole diodes.

Unsure if the second round will come with the 32U4 attached or loose, so TQFP soldering, then SMT diodes, and one of the supports backlighting so resistors and matching LEDs (SMT?) will be called for in that case but not the other run.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline adrl

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 22:41:02 »
The first round will require a Teensy 2.0 and through hole diodes.

Unsure if the second round will come with the 32U4 attached or loose, so TQFP soldering, then SMT diodes, and one of the supports backlighting so resistors and matching LEDs (SMT?) will be called for in that case but not the other run.

Thanks for the response!

I wonder where I can source them in Canada?
I guess this will be a fun project to do.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:12:13 »
If I knew how to solder, I would be in for one. I really do want to build a compact board in the near future though. This looks like it will be the board.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 10:39:52 »
Reply from one PCB designer (me) regarding building the through-hole "Blue" version.

This is the easiest one to build yourself.  Every part will use easy-to-solder through-hole leads, so no mucking about with hot air and solder paste.  All of the the diodes go the same direction, and can be mounted on either side of the board.  Backlighting is optional, but if you want to go that route, this board uses a 54-cent transistor to power the LEDs.

Parts list:
 - PCB, probably $25 or less.
 - Teensy 2.0 with pins $19.00 from PJRC:  here
 - Diodes 100 for $3.30 from Mouser:  here
 - Socket for Teensy (optional) $1.67 from Mouser:  here
 - LED transistor (required to use backlighting) 54 cents from Mouser:  here
 - Switches to taste.  Get 50 MX Black for $18.00 from Techkeys.us:  here

Adding LEDs?
There are thousands of LEDs you can choose, red, blue, and white being the most popular.  The specific resistor you need depends on the LED you choose, but here is a web site that will help determine the resistor value you need:
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
NOTE: Source voltage is 5, number of LEDs is 1.  Forward voltage and current vary by LED.

Red:
 - Red 3mm, 2.05 V, 20mA LEDs, 50 for $4.60 from Mouser:  here
 - Resistors, through-hole, 1/4watt, 150ohms, 100 for $4.00 from Mouser:  here

Blue:

- Blue 3mm, 3.5 V, 20mA LEDs LEDs, 50 for $9.00 from Mouser:  here
 - Resistors, through-hole, 1/4watt, 82ohms, 100 for $4.00 from Mouser:  here

White:
 - White 3mm, 3.3 V, 20mA LEDs LEDs, 50 for $14.60 from Mouser:  here
 - Resistors, through-hole, 1/4watt, 100ohms, 100 for $4.00 from Mouser:  here

I will add more LED choices if that would be helpful to anyone.

NOTE REGARDING MIXING LEDS:
It is possible to have different LED colors on the same keyboard.  Simple even.  However, you must ensure that each LED has the proper resistor.  So, for example, if you used the above red LEDs in most places, those LEDs should have 150ohm resistors.  And then if you used the white LEDs listed above for the WASD cluster, those LEDs would require 100ohm resistors.  Each switch position has one resistor position.  Simply install the correct resistor for the LED you used in that particular switch.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:31:30 by samwisekoi »