Author Topic: Das Keyboard news --corrected :-P  (Read 4106 times)

Offline zerogravitas

Das Keyboard news --corrected :-P
« on: Tue, 01 July 2008, 13:09:13 »
I received this email this morning.

We know from your phone calls and emails that you are anxiously waiting for it to arrive!  We are fast approaching delivery and will send out your keyboard no later than mid-July.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 July 2008, 13:22:27 »
What's a Dad keyboard??  ;)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 July 2008, 14:03:52 »
Sounds like he should've gone for the Professional.

*ducks*

Offline iMav

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 July 2008, 14:11:47 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6133

Ha!  

Speaking of the Das III...I've been on the fence as to whether I should pre-order one or not.  It's a lot of money to spend on a keyboard that I know will not be my daily driver (since I don't, particularly, care for the numpads).

But, I'd really like to get hands on one to evaluate the quality first-hand.  So, I'll likely end up with one.  :)

Offline Ulysses31

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 July 2008, 14:19:21 »
The glossy bezel puts me off.  I've seen how tacky this type of design looks on other products (notably Samsung LCDs - you can see how inaccurately the plastic moulding has been done by the distorted reflections in the plastic), and that doesn't even cover the problem of dust/static and finger-marks.  I'm also not too fond of the USB "hump" which looks like a feature that was literally tacked on.  However, it's still tempting because of the switches and the relatively compact size.  The price and availability is also pretty good for my location.

Offline Waves77

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 July 2008, 21:18:00 »
I got a refund for my Scorpius M10, so I pre-ordered one of these... I still need to review the Filco, but I definitely want something with blue cherries, after using the browns for a while I know I prefer the blue ones :)

The people from ergogeek also said they'd be selling some other cherry based keyboard in the near future (didn't specify which type).
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline zerogravitas

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 July 2008, 21:22:33 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6133

*ducks*

ROFL!  So it seems. :)

Offline 2097

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 14:01:37 »
Quote from: iMav;6134
[...] a keyboard that I know will not be my daily driver [...]I'll likely end up with one.  :)

This makes me sad, for some reason.

Not about the money; I don't mind if something is expensive if it's something you'll actually use and enjoy. Just the for-no-reason–consumtion of plastics and metals and chemicals.

Maybe you could borrow one before you bought one?

Offline iMav

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 14:50:04 »
Quote from: 2097;6226
This makes me sad, for some reason.

Not about the money; I don't mind if something is expensive if it's something you'll actually use and enjoy. Just the for-no-reason-consumtion of plastics and metals and chemicals.

Maybe you could borrow one before you bought one?
Don't worry.  if you knew me a little better, you'd know that I give away a LOT of keyboards on a regular basis.  Any keyboards I don't keep in my rotation typically go to people who either can't otherwise afford them (as gifts) or get sold.

;)

Offline 2097

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 09:00:25 »
Thanks for easing my mind.

Offline doctorpiorno

Review up in Extremetech
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 12:05:57 »
I just noticed there is a review of the Das Keyboard 3 up at Extremetech. They seem pretty happy with it, although they do find it quite pricey. It's all relative, I guess. :p

Offline iMav

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 12:23:12 »
Quote from: doctorpiorno;6325
I just noticed there is a review of the Das Keyboard 3 up at Extremetech. They seem pretty happy with it, although they do find it quite pricey. It's all relative, I guess. :p

Ignorant comment I noticed from skimming the review:

"There's gold in this keyboard too. In fact, each keyswitch is gold-plated to provide its distinct click when pressed and depressed."

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 12:38:27 »
Quote from: iMav;6326
"There's gold in this keyboard too. In fact, each keyswitch is gold-plated to provide its distinct click when pressed and depressed."

That's pretty unforgivable.

Offline sirhc

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 17:03:16 »
Gold... Lol.. That is creative.. I wonder what inspired made them give that comment..

I guess they took that from the specification of the keyboard here.

That reminds me of the Vertu phone.. "Each key has a crystal embedded underneath..."

Offline Eclairz

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 18:04:16 »
by the way if you do hit two pieces of gold together does it make a clicking sound anyway? Because i thought gold was far too malleable to make anything as light and high pitched as my cherry blues. Extremetech didn't much like the Das 2 keyboard either and like I said before reviewers no longer care about quality of products but love to focus on the quantity of features. Who other than us lot are likely to review the sound of a keyboard to the point of having recordings, and care about the minute tactility differences between keyboards
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Ulysses31

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 19:05:13 »
Yeah, gold is used to reduce bounce, corrosion, and electrical arcing in switches; hardly the type of stuff you'd use to make a loud sound.  Most people aren't as fussy as us because they don't even know they have choices.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 23:11:26 »
Quote from: Eclairz;6346
Who other than us lot are likely to review the sound of a keyboard to the point of having recordings, and care about the minute tactility differences between keyboards

Hey, at least people like us now have a place to let our insanity run rampant.

Offline Waves77

Dad Keyboard news
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 23:43:51 »
Quote from: xsphat;6353
Hey, at least people like us now have a place to let our insanity run rampant.

And posting here keeps us off the streets ;)
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline sugar

just got mine today!
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 July 2008, 21:49:18 »
my first post... I have been reading stuffs here for a while but never registered.

Just got my dasKeyboard (3) today! I am typing on it... Now I have to find a way to keep the plastic clean and shiny.

When I first started typing the backspace key got stuck a few times, but now it's all fine. It's probably due to my transition from a crappy old keyboard to it. I am still getting used to the different curve.

It sounds lovely. The first comment I got was that it sounds like a typewriter :p

I am still trying to get a FILCO Majestouch with brown Cherry, but it all depends on if my friend in Taiwan can get it...