Author Topic: My first clicky keyboard!  (Read 3059 times)

Offline DMuk

My first clicky keyboard!
« on: Mon, 07 July 2008, 14:42:56 »
Hi all. Just acquired a Viglen 6312-TW. Does anyone know anything about this keyboard? Is it a good one? I can't find any info on the net.

The switches are made by Acer. I've included a couple of photos. No idea when it was made (or how long it will last)! Made in Malaysia according to the badge on the back. I've given it a good clean now so it's not as filthy.

Cheers if anyone can shed any light on it.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 July 2008, 15:02:40 »
I have two Acer 6312, one in bad condition. These are hammer on membrane keyboards. One spring pushes the hammer down onto the membrane and the key up after that. The other flat one makes the click. Not sure if I understood the mechanism completely.

I wonder whether they licensed the interface from Alps. The stem looks very similar and the caps are interchangeable.

These are dishwasher keyboards. With the 'board disassembled the switches are open and can dry quickly. I didn't put the membrane and the pcb in back then, but would today. Avoid the dry cycle.

Yours looks like a different construction than the Acer. The keys appear to be snapped into the upper half of the housing. That's a good idea actually.

You can remove the switches from the top without disassembling the keyboard. For ex. to exchange a broken key.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline DMuk

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 July 2008, 15:14:44 »
Thanks sofa king. Does that mean it's a 'good' keyboard? Sure feels nice to type on.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 July 2008, 15:27:04 »
Quote from: DMuk;6422
Does that mean it's a 'good' keyboard? Sure feels nice to type on.
You answered your own question. :)

Some keys feel a bit slow on the return with mine. But both were very sticky and might just need even more cleaning.

Offline DMuk

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 July 2008, 15:30:16 »
Yes, I've noticed that on a couple of keys too. Also, one or two seem to require a bit more pressure to register. Is it worth fully dissembling it and cleaning the inside?

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 July 2008, 15:47:01 »
I think I have the different pressure thing too here.

Cleaning the board doesn't take that much time. I was lazy and left the keycaps on, this probably backfired.