Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Bluetooth Keyboard? (and why)  (Read 1699 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
What's Your Favorite Bluetooth Keyboard? (and why)
« on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 14:08:03 »
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this already.

With the advent of Bluetooth and the plethora of devices that accept Bluetooth keyboards, the number of Bluetooth keyboards available has exploded. 

So what's your favorite?  And why?

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
Re: What's Your Favorite Bluetooth Keyboard? (and why)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:34:54 »
My HHKB with hasu's BT module. Because One With Cup Rubber.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:18:43 »
My HHKB with hasu's BT module. Because One With Cup Rubber.
But that's cheating!  ;D  Or I'd say my M with a BT adapter.

I'm talking about native BT keyboards.  Matias One and the Filco one count as they have native BT, but I'm more interested if someone has found a decent one in the plethora of cheap scissor switch ones out there.

I was going to try the Microsoft Universal they are getting rid of at Best Buy, but they didn't have one on display.  The sale guy said it felt like the full size version of it, but I have my doubts.  I tried the Microsoft 'folding' one on display and I didn't like it--not enough travel.

I had a cheapee Amazon basics keyboard that I gave to my father-in-law in India after my HP touchpad started having the ?-battery issue.  It was pretty decent (but probably not as nice as the MS Universal) and I wish I would have kept it because I really need it now--lesson learned--don't give away stuff you might need even if you don't need it right now.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:24:14 »
I'm seriously looking at a used Logitech 920-003241KB-MP-UG, but don't know how it feels at all. 

It's cheap and I won't use it often so it will be okay either way--but as all of us know, we want the best keyboard that we can possibly get, so hearing from other GH'rs about their experiences will be a great resource for us all.  I'm tired of reading reviews like 'the color matches so well with my iPad and it looks so pretty!'.   :confused:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:30:08 »
I think you'll find the majority of users here use mechanical keyboards so there may not be much feedback concerning other types of keyboards.

Personally I'd like to see more bluetooth mechanicals.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:48:01 »
NerD with bt adapter? ;D
I love Elzy

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:38:08 »
I think you'll find the majority of users here use mechanical keyboards so there may not be much feedback concerning other types of keyboards.

Personally I'd like to see more bluetooth mechanicals.
Yep, me too (IBM M user for decades now).  But I know size and convenience is a huge thing here too as a lot of people have the 60% and tkl.  I'm probably not the only one that's searched for a better bt keyboard.

I'd love to see more BT mechs.  I'm sure with all the tiny tablet keyboards out there, someone longs for the classic feel of real switches.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:41:54 »
In a recent thread asking something similar I got under 10 answers, it seems there is no much love for BT keyboards around here. In the practical side latency of the technology is almost too annoying to tolerate in an interactive device like a keyboard.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:46:45 »
The firmware isn't anything to write home about, but the Varmilo v87m comes in bluetooth as well. I have the non-bluetooth version, but supposedly the only difference is the bluetooth support plus the battery packed inside it. Its not a bad keyboard to type on at all. Tad bit 'hollow' sounding with SA caps on it, but that's my only real complaint.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:56:03 »
The firmware isn't anything to write home about, but the Varmilo v87m comes in bluetooth as well. I have the non-bluetooth version, but supposedly the only difference is the bluetooth support plus the battery packed inside it. Its not a bad keyboard to type on at all. Tad bit 'hollow' sounding with SA caps on it, but that's my only real complaint.
Thank you!  I did a search and ran into this thread about it:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72085.0

In a recent thread asking something similar I got under 10 answers, it seems there is no much love for BT keyboards around here. In the practical side latency of the technology is almost too annoying to tolerate in an interactive device like a keyboard.
Yeah, high-performance keyboard and tiny bluetooth keyboard are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.  Still, that being said, plenty of people seem to have to deal with non-enthusiast keyboards on a regular basis and still have an opinion to share.  :cool: