Author Topic: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys R3 starting soon  (Read 178172 times)

Offline pears

• Sneezing is painful
Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (closed)
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 16:11:45 »
I was looking at the default layout and noticed you have a tap dance function on the caps lock key. How does that work? I'm trying to activate caps lock with double tap but only activates LCTRL. I'm also doing this with tweezers and a keyboard tester, so I assume I might actually have to solder the switch first for it to work?

Based on the layout it looks like there are 2 KC_LCTLs and the TD_SCAPS is on the left shift, not the actual tab/caps lock that is labeled. Not sure if I'm reading it properly at this point as I don't have the Gothic70 in front of me. If you double tap shift do you get caps locks?

This is what I gather is the actual layout that gets build.

https://github.com/worldspawn00/Firmwares/blob/master/gothic70/keymaps/default/keymap.c
Getting punched in the face was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Offline worldspawn

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (closed)
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 22:07:26 »
I was looking at the default layout and noticed you have a tap dance function on the caps lock key. How does that work? I'm trying to activate caps lock with double tap but only activates LCTRL. I'm also doing this with tweezers and a keyboard tester, so I assume I might actually have to solder the switch first for it to work?

Double tapping left shift should activate caps, and yeah, it's hard to do with tweezers, but pretty easy with a switch installed. The key left of A is control in the default keymap.
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline intellax

[GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (closed)
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 09:37:34 »
Well, when your entire household is sick on New Year’s Eve, you build a keyboard I guess.

Very fun build! Everything went together smoothly.  Slight moment of panic when a column stopped responding and I thought I lifted an entire row of pads, until I realized that the back of the led strip was conductive and shorting it (first time adding a strip myself), but once that was sorted all was well. 

PCB is beautiful and I kind of fed bad hiding it behind POM, but I had to try the POM and I’m happy I did - it sounds fantastic! 

Wonderful group buy experience.  Looking forward to learning more of the features of QMK, as before last night, I had only ever used the configurator to compile firmware.

Offline saesh

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 13:15:06 »
Well, when your entire household is sick on New Year’s Eve, you build a keyboard I guess.

Very fun build! Everything went together smoothly.  Slight moment of panic when a column stopped responding and I thought I lifted an entire row of pads, until I realized that the back of the led strip was conductive and shorting it (first time adding a strip myself), but once that was sorted all was well. 

PCB is beautiful and I kind of fed bad hiding it behind POM, but I had to try the POM and I’m happy I did - it sounds fantastic! 

Wonderful group buy experience.  Looking forward to learning more of the features of QMK, as before last night, I had only ever used the configurator to compile firmware.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Great build! I am planning on using 9009 as well. I ordered the matte black version and it is still on it's way. Got to agree the GB experience is very smooth, thanks @worldspawn!

Offline justjimmeh

• Reddit Profile
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 20:02:11 »
White POM with frosted bottom layer, built with Gateron yellows and GMK Mizu!
233016-0
233018-1

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #205 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 00:11:08 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

What did you do to fix the strip shorting issue?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 00:27:44 »
Cover the ends with electrical or kapton tape or place a square on the PCB under the strip ends.

Offline Polyzhu

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 12:02:40 »
The order is 1234657, gravity and friction keep the PCB down in its place, it will lift up when switching keycaps, but you just push it back down.  This is one of the uses for the plate foam, it takes up that gap space.  Just FYI, this is typical of acrylic layer cases.

So just to confirm, if we want to use the plate foam, it would go in between 4 and 6 correct? I just want to make sure I'm using everything in the intended order!

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 12:47:24 »
The order is 1234657, gravity and friction keep the PCB down in its place, it will lift up when switching keycaps, but you just push it back down.  This is one of the uses for the plate foam, it takes up that gap space.  Just FYI, this is typical of acrylic layer cases.

So just to confirm, if we want to use the plate foam, it would go in between 4 and 6 correct? I just want to make sure I'm using everything in the intended order!

Correct

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 07:49:02 »
Any ETA on when the last batch will be shipped? I'm really excited to build in this and the pictures being posted are just making me antsy.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:44:14 »
Any ETA on when the last batch will be shipped? I'm really excited to build in this and the pictures being posted are just making me antsy.

The last 2 orders in Round 1 will go out on Tuesday, the rest have been shipped.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:51:08 »
The last 2 orders in Round 1 will go out on Tuesday, the rest have been shipped.

Dang, I guess my luck got me on the last order :D. I look forward to getting it.

Offline saesh

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 13:31:16 »

Mine has shipped mid December and hasn't arrived yet. And yes, it is also making me antsy.  ;) *cries european tears*

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 15:25:21 »
Maybe a little premature but is there a planned r3?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #214 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 15:28:39 »
Maybe a little premature but is there a planned r3?

Not yet.  ;D  If so, it would probably be this summer.

Offline noricon

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 16:51:43 »

Dang, I guess my luck got me on the last order :D. I look forward to getting it.

I guess it's you and me in the last order XD

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 16:55:33 »
Are only 7 LEDs supported on the RGB strip header? I can't get more than that number to light. Is that changeable or do I just need to trim the strip down to 7?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 16:57:13 »
Are only 7 LEDs supported on the RGB strip header? I can't get more than that number to light. Is that changeable or do I just need to trim the strip down to 7?

the config.h file defines how many LEDs are used, it's 7 as the default, but it can be changed to whatever you like.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 07:19:54 »
I guess it's you and me in the last order XD

Just got the tracking number yesterday w/ an ETA of Thursday. Too bad the switches that I planned to put in these (Aqua Zilents) are not here yet so I really didn't mind being in the last order.

Offline saesh

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 11:44:41 »
Did anyone build their Gothic 70 with 7305s for hot swappable switches? If so how did it go and would you recommend?

Offline PotlePawtle

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 21:41:28 »
Does pre-shipment mean you only printed the shipping label? It's been stuck on that status for a few days now. Starting to wonder if USPS already messed with my package. Wanted to check here before asking there.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 21:50:41 »
Does pre-shipment mean you only printed the shipping label? It's been stuck on that status for a few days now. Starting to wonder if USPS already messed with my package. Wanted to check here before asking there.

Generally I drop packages off at the post office the day after I print the label, PM me your order number and I can check into it.

Offline PotlePawtle

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 01:42:19 »

Generally I drop packages off at the post office the day after I print the label, PM me your order number and I can check into it.

PM sent, thank you.

Offline sudden

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 05:22:57 »
Did anyone build their Gothic 70 with 7305s for hot swappable switches? If so how did it go and would you recommend?
Also interested in this question :)

Offline saesh

« Reply #224 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 08:22:23 »

If you are interested in building it with Mill-Max sockets, here is a tip from worldspawn from the IC: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101999.msg2805391#msg2805391

Offline sudden

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 10:10:51 »

If you are interested in building it with Mill-Max sockets, here is a tip from worldspawn from the IC: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101999.msg2805391#msg2805391
Oh, ok, thanks. I wonder if the pcb is compatible with holtite 8134-HC-8P3 sockets?

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #226 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 23:01:12 »

the config.h file defines how many LEDs are used, it's 7 as the default, but it can be changed to whatever you like.

That worked, thanks!

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 11:54:03 »
Finished mine with some Laseron switches and a cheap key set (for now). I may have gone overboard on the LEDs...
233589-0233587-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 12:00:25 by topherrehpot »

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 13:11:11 »
Finished mine with some Laseron switches and a cheap key set (for now). I may have gone overboard on the LEDs...
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Those Tai Hao keycaps look good! I do feel like I am getting a suntan from those leds though

Offline kaisn

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:03:13 »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

mind sharing where you got those LED stripes?

Offline saesh

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:53:26 »
Finished mine too with 15 underglow LED and put some GMK WoB on it. Had some problems with the POM plate where it pressed down on the stabilizer wires. Filed off a bit from the place and didn't push the switches not all the way in. Now everything is perfect.

Thanks worldspawn for such a great group buy.  :thumb:

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 16:08:52 »
Can someone help me troubleshoot why my 6-Y-H-N row is not registering?

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 17:03:47 »

This definitely sounds like an issue with the MCU (at least from my experience). I had a similar issue on a different build where one of the rows on my PCB was not firing (I think it was F8-0-P-:). I'll detail the steps I took to fix the issue (see below), although it's a bit risky and I'd try to see if you can source a new PCB if possible.

Basically, it seems like there is a spotty connection from the 6-Y-H-N column to the MCU. In order to fix it, you have to identify the pin on the MCU that corresponds to that column. I forget which MCU is used on the Gotchic70 (maybe ATmega32a?). If so, Google "atmega32a pin out" to find an image with a list of the pinouts for the MCU.

Once you've identified which pin corresponds to the 6-Y-H-N column (unfortunately, I'm not at all well-versed in these things, so someone else might be able to help you with that), you need to re-flow some solder to that exact pin. Your best bet is probably to use a flux pen to apply some flux to solder.

I should warn you to be very careful when you solder the pin, and to only solder the exact pin you need. From my personal experience on a different build: I ended up accidentally soldering a few pins together on the MCU (used soldering wire instead of flux, don't do this), which caused half the columns on my PCB to stop firing. Wasn't able to remove/revert my soldering mistake = PCB ded.

Also, I think Nathan encountered the same issue during one of his builds. You can see what he does to troubleshoot the issue here (starts fix at around 2:11:50):

Not sure how helpful this is but good luck!

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 17:09:10 »

I have the same issue with my 3-E-D-C column on my gothic70. Going to try fix it in a couple of days - I can let you know how it goes?

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 07:22:28 »
For those with row issues, do you have an LED strip on the bottom? It may be shorting on some of the pins if you aren't putting anything between the strip and the pcb.

Offline Corbenic

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 11:28:24 »

I built mine with 7305s, but I don't recommend it. It caused more of a headache than I thought. For the most part the keeb works, but occasionally it'll short on a column and spam it. I fixed this by cleaning the pins, using tape to remove any dust or particles, and then placing tape over the pins. Also, my pcb has a slight bend to it.  The mill max sockets and plate aren't strong enough to keep the switches in place. Occasionally switches fall out on their own and I have to press them back in.  I've done several keebs with 7305s and have never had a problem. Unfortunately this one thought otherwise :(

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 11:34:32 »
mind sharing where you got those LED stripes?

I've had good luck with ALITOVE LEDs on Amazon so I bought this strip: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RBVKLPX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As others have mentioned, I tried a strip of LEDs that didn't have tape on the bottom and I ended up shorting some of my keys as well. If you get a strip like the above that has the tape backing built in, you'll have a better time but watch out for switch legs poking through potentially. If you do have an LED strip, try removing it and see if that fixes your switch column issues.

Offline PotlePawtle

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 00:39:28 »
Anyone able to flash their board? Can't seem to figure it out at all. Thought I was following QMK guides just fine, but clearly not.  :(

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 01:03:48 »
Anyone able to flash their board? Can't seem to figure it out at all. Thought I was following QMK guides just fine, but clearly not.  :(

I've been able to - happy to help anyone else with hex files if they send me keymap images for each layer.

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 07:31:12 »
Haven't had any issues with QMK flashing either.

Offline saesh

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 09:35:18 »

Where are you stuck? I might be able to help.

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 13:07:23 »

I've been able to - happy to help anyone else with hex files if they send me keymap images for each layer.
Sent you a pm!

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

Offline PotlePawtle

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 15:46:24 »
Got it flashed! I was just stuck on an error when trying to flash in MSYS2, but then I learned Toolbox works just fine.  :D

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 08:30:38 »
After some issues with the pcb and plate it's finally built and working as it should!

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 13:25:58 »

This definitely sounds like an issue with the MCU (at least from my experience). I had a similar issue on a different build where one of the rows on my PCB was not firing (I think it was F8-0-P-:). I'll detail the steps I took to fix the issue (see below), although it's a bit risky and I'd try to see if you can source a new PCB if possible.

Basically, it seems like there is a spotty connection from the 6-Y-H-N column to the MCU. In order to fix it, you have to identify the pin on the MCU that corresponds to that column. I forget which MCU is used on the Gotchic70 (maybe ATmega32a?). If so, Google "atmega32a pin out" to find an image with a list of the pinouts for the MCU.

Once you've identified which pin corresponds to the 6-Y-H-N column (unfortunately, I'm not at all well-versed in these things, so someone else might be able to help you with that), you need to re-flow some solder to that exact pin. Your best bet is probably to use a flux pen to apply some flux to solder.

I should warn you to be very careful when you solder the pin, and to only solder the exact pin you need. From my personal experience on a different build: I ended up accidentally soldering a few pins together on the MCU (used soldering wire instead of flux, don't do this), which caused half the columns on my PCB to stop firing. Wasn't able to remove/revert my soldering mistake = PCB ded.

Also, I think Nathan encountered the same issue during one of his builds. You can see what he does to troubleshoot the issue here (starts fix at around 2:11:50):

Not sure how helpful this is but good luck!

Thank you so much!, I'll look into this  and let you know what I find. Gonna start with unsoldering everything and go from there.

Offline Zeit

• I melt at 26°C!
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 21:34:58 »
Just got around to building mine!

7 isn't enough, so here's 16 xD
IBM Model F AT - Dell AT101 Linearised - KBD67 HSE Black Gateron Inks - HHKB Pro 2 Black

Offline PotlePawtle

« Reply #246 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 22:23:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

What leds are those? Built mine without knowing leds weren't already on it... Never messed with lighting before, but might as well take advantage of the frosted underside.

Offline Novafish

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 00:21:04 »
how accurate is the "Your order is scheduled to ship by Feb 10, 2020. Check back then for updates." on etsy?

Offline Zeit

• I melt at 26°C!
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 02:31:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

What leds are those? Built mine without knowing leds weren't already on it... Never messed with lighting before, but might as well take advantage of the frosted underside.

I ordered some ws2812b LED strips from Taobao and soldered them onto the back of the pcb!

IBM Model F AT - Dell AT101 Linearised - KBD67 HSE Black Gateron Inks - HHKB Pro 2 Black

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #249 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 10:24:47 »
how accurate is the "Your order is scheduled to ship by Feb 10, 2020. Check back then for updates." on etsy?

Not accurate, the way etsy works there's a maximum ship time, so it's not going to jive with a GB schedule and can't be changed.  Target ship date for Round 2 and gothic50s is mid march to early april, a bit longer than round 1 due to chinese new year delaying production.