Author Topic: Thin PBT Set for your Phantom!?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
Thin PBT Set for your Phantom!?
« on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:04:01 »
Hello!

I'm sure many of you have gotten those 104 PBT keysets and would like to use them for your phantom.

Being one of the unlucky few who didn't get their shipments on time, I have just gotten around to making this work. I was previously using black cherry double shots and gmk purple modifiers(write up on my blog(http://darrelduque.wordpress.com/), but then I remembered how awesome the key profile and material these PBTs have. They are the sets you could off ebay/feng and my style are the engraved type.

Anyway, to the meat of this post...

I was trying to figure out how to get the shorter right shift so I can maintain key feel/profile and noticed the 0 key from the numpad(unused since I'm tenkeyless now) is almost the same size... So naturally I dropped in the spot where the right shift would go and noticed that it was slight rubbing on both left and right sides... so I decided to take a knife to it...

You'll notice that I did the right side much cleaner than the left side. The right side is also a more realistic version of what you should/have to cutoff.

The results were pretty good. I would recommend going a little at a time rather than just going for the gold like I did  :eek:.

Check it out:

Hack on!

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:14:50 by duq »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Thin PBT Set for your Phantom!?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 15:28:53 »
An interesting approach!

That with backlighting would be annoying though, I suppose you could always glue a bit on the side to fill the gap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ