Author Topic: Geekhackin' #3 - dorkvader  (Read 2391 times)

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
Geekhackin' #3 - dorkvader
« on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 16:09:46 »
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

Or subscribe to us on iTunes!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Geekhackin' #3 - dorkvader
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 16:11:17 »
nice
I love Elzy

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 16:26:46 »
I must be too new, I dont recognize that user name ;o

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 16:35:00 »
You're not as new as CPTBadAss, though.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 18:15:32 »
You're not as new as CPTBadAss, though.

forever a newb

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 22:05:59 »
I'm still only half way through the second one!

I usually listen to them while commuting, but I've been on holiday the last couple of weeks.

This will give me something good to listen to on the train when I go back to work in a couple of days.

Thanks guys! :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Neal

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 23:00:34 »
Pretty sure this guy just loves IBM, I don't blame him.

Offline jiggityjane

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 09:48:14 »
Someone mentioned wood PLA. There was an artist a while back (might have been 5+ years ago) that made bone PLA with bone dust and printed skewed 3D skulls that had bone texture. It was pretty crazy.

Edit: A lot of talk about product design (hey, something I majored in!), way fun to listen to. If anyone wants to learn more about manufacturing, I have a great book called 'Manufacturing Processes for Design Professionals' written by Rob Thompson which describes all the things talked about in this podcast. Well, except 3D printing. Bending, extruding, vacuum, pressure casting etc. would recommend! It also has suggestions on the use for certain techniques, prototyping, small runs and major runs based on tooling costs. Ah, sorry for the wall of text, I love this stuff.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 10:12:31 by jiggityjane »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 11:15:22 »

When he came by my house, it was an IBM fanboy's wet dream. Boltmodded M, model F, beamspring, a kishsaver, it was magical. His vintage mechs and my modern mechs together was quite an experience.

The Skeldon Phantom was baller, too.

The guy is awesome. You know someone's got a great collection when one of the keyboard he owns uses "just stock MX blacks" and it sounds boring to someone who loves MX blacks.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Neal

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 07:10:13 »

When he came by my house, it was an IBM fanboy's wet dream. Boltmodded M, model F, beamspring, a kishsaver, it was magical. His vintage mechs and my modern mechs together was quite an experience.

The guy is awesome. You know someone's got a great collection when one of the keyboard he owns uses "just stock MX blacks" and it sounds boring to someone who loves MX blacks.
This puts a smile on my face.

Love when people genuinely have passion for things, this shows in how he talked on this podcast. :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 07:44:03 »

This puts a smile on my face.

Love when people genuinely have passion for things, this shows in how he talked on this podcast. :thumb:

Yeah, this, plus I felt that he explained everything very clearly.  A shame it ended so suddenly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ