Author Topic: Radeon black screen bug - are you affected?  (Read 4633 times)

Offline bliss

Radeon black screen bug - are you affected?
« on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 05:28:27 »
Are you or were you affected by the Radeon black screen bug haunting recent cards?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2020, 09:33:36 by bliss »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Radeon black screen bug - are you affected?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:20:58 »
Ditched 5700xt a while for 2060s. Very happy I made the move.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline bliss

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:01:49 »
Ditched 5700xt a while for 2060s. Very happy I made the move.

Interesting. On paper, performance of the two is virtually the same. Did the 5700xt give you problems or were you after Nvidia-specific features?

I normally choose Nvi cards for their compute ecosystem, but for a gaming-only system I am always open for a Radeon. When I see the issues on the software/firmware side at AMD, I am quickly discouraged though. Reports of the black screen bug have persisted for way too long now.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 05:56:00 »
I tried 3 different makes of the 5700xt on two different mobos. Had issues with all of them. Bad luck + bad drivers. I just wanted a system that I could use for school, gaming, and folding. Went back to good old nvidia and EVGA and I game and fold great on the 2060 super at 1440. I have really bad vision, so my settings being "ultra" never really mattered. I run close to it, though.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline bliss

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 07:31:41 »
I tried 3 different makes of the 5700xt on two different mobos. Had issues with all of them.

They only finish 95% and let the customers do the testing, it seems. Not good. Thanks for the input, should I build a gaming machine, it will be with Team Green.

Normally, I simply use my main PC when I want to play an occasional game, and it has RTX anyway. My future workstations will not have Windows installed any more though, and thus the interest for pure gaming hardware. I am preparing for STALKER 2; I want to fully dive into the game when it comes out, and will get an extra machine if "necessary" ;).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:41:51 »
I had black screen bug back when ultra low voltage mode was introduced on the 6 and 7-series 2012 ish

Offline bliss

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 07:12:35 »
I had black screen bug back when ultra low voltage mode was introduced on the 6 and 7-series 2012 ish

What did you do to resolve it?

I am trying to get a picture about the state of AMD graphics nowadays. My Radeons were always without problems, both hardware and software. My newest one is an Antigua though, went Nvidia since.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 04:07:10 »
No but I noticed Radeon Pro has an odd issue. It constantly quickly turns on/off the monitor backlight when unattended. Does the gaming one have this issue?