Author Topic: Project "Board Chow"  (Read 34193 times)

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Project "Board Chow"
« on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 03:37:33 »
Hi everyone!
I have been lurking a for a little while now and figured I should probably join, so... TaaaDaaa! here I am =)
I have been working on a project for the past couple of months and in doing so I have come across many, many, many, and many keyboards. So I thought I would share them here as well as my experiences with them. At the moment I think I have a bit over 250 keyboards, (in one form or another) of which I would say 40 or so are the "mechanical" type.
I didn't know much about them when I started (and in many ways I still don't) but this site has really got me hooked! :biggrin:

In fact I was so excited to join, i decided to do a quick sketch for my avatar!
Do forgive my lack of pics in the post as(I will get to those soon) I am not terribly computer savy and my cintiq is crying because my two crappy computers are dying faster than I can type this =(
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 06:41:00 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 03:49:23 »
Quote from: clickclack;110977
... because my two crappy computers are dying faster than I can type this =(

250 keyboards but no well-working motherboards? Oops. Mind posting what kind of mo/bos and power supplies you're using? Usually those are the trouble spots (especially certain vintages), provided the harddrive doesn't crap out of course...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 04:56:04 »
I think it has less to do with the condition the components are in and more to do with the age and demands put on them. Both of my computers are about 8yrs old. And things get updated about as frequently as elections. I dont even have USB 2.0! My camera uploads move on a geologic timeframe. I seem to know enough to do email, reaserch/browsing, photography, and illustration. And many times that suprises me!

But back to your request, I have no idea what mo/bos (mother boards?) or power supplies I am using. I just know they are old, slow, and at best outdated.

I really appreciate your generosity, and I hope my "current" ignorance isn't too terribly off putting.

Offline lowpoly

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 05:05:29 »
I like your avatar.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 05:24:24 »
Same, nice job. Real hardcore geekhackers should get it as a tattoo.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 05:29:53 »

I had a ton of fun making it! Mr. clickclack types at "ALL words per minute". And because of this he goes through many a keyboard! haahaa

I am currently using an-
 IBM model M 1391401 (1991 grey logo with black letters?)
and a bran spankin new Dell AT101W.
these are set up on two different computers.
And they replace an HP keyboard (that I am currently dying the keycaps on) and a Dell quiet key keyboard that is really, really loud for a rubber dome, despite its name (that I am also currently dying the keycaps on)

I have two more AT101W's that are also NIB. And I have 3 more IBM model M's with blue labels.

I have an old Apple Extended keyboard II for my old Machintosh IICi that I always loved and only recently realized what mechanical switches were and that I had been using one for years! =D I always wondered why I like it so much. But I stopped using that computer 6 or so years ago. But I still have everything but the monitor and speakers.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 05:38:13 »
Quote from: clickclack;110985

I have an old Apple Extended keyboard II for my old Machintosh IICi that I always loved and only recently realized what mechanical switches were and that I had been using one for years! =D I always wondered why I like it so much. But I stopped using that computer 6 or so years ago. But I still have everything but the monitor and speakers.

The AEKII uses cream colored ALPS switches, which use rubber dampers to lighten the sound. These switches are kind of rare and were only used in the AEKII and the SGI version of the AT101 board. Anyway.. you can actually get the AEKII to work on modern Macs (or PCs!) with the help of a Griffin iMate, which converts ADB to USB. Sadly these have gotten quite rare and only pop up on eBay every now and then.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 05:38:53 »
Quote from: sixty;110983
Same, nice job. Real hardcore geekhackers should get it as a tattoo.

Haahaa! Thanks :biggrin:
I think that would be a bit too hardcore...hmmm...
Nope, I take that back, I am going to take that compliment and run with it!
clickclack tatoo anyone? I would give ya a bunch of keyboards! haahaa

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 05:44:05 »
Quote from: sixty;110987
The AEKII uses cream colored ALPS switches, which use rubber dampers to lighten the sound. These switches are kind of rare and were only used in the AEKII and the SGI version of the AT101 board. Anyway.. you can actually get the AEKII to work on modern Macs (or PCs!) with the help of a Griffin iMate, which converts ADB to USB. Sadly these have gotten quite rare and only pop up on eBay every now and then.

WOW! I didn't know I could use it on PC's, thats great! I have about 5-7 more and one where I just keep the metal plate and switches so I could have a keyboard to do my layout tests on. I will upload a pic of that hopefully soon. I should check each keyboard to see what color the ALPS switches are. The two I first looked at (mine and the first recent one I recieved) seemed to have a more white plastic stem color... lemme check....*runs to the other room* I just checked the stem color and they are a bit more "off white" (cream I suppose)than white when compared to other ALPS switches I have. They are quit quiet compared to other white ALPS switches I have tested.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 05:52:57 by clickclack »

Offline lowpoly

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 05:48:16 »
For what project did you buy 210 rubber domes?

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 06:15:56 »
Quote from: lowpoly;110992
For what project did you buy 210 rubber domes?

I am a materials person (not "material") and in model making I am always on the look out for stuff I can either use for kit bashing or for textural elements. I also do a bunch of massing models for theme parks and other architectural environments. And simple repetitive geometric objects can make my life easier much of the time and a bit interesting (in an ironic way). I am also a sculptor and I will be using many of the keyboard components for that as well.

I am currently not buying them, although I was going to go that route as I can get large lots of keyboards off Ebay. The prices may be high initially but in relative terms very worth it! (but the lack of mechanical keyboards and the lack of variety steered me clear) I am currently getting them donated from multiple anonymous sources. I would say some or many dont work, but I have no way of testing a majority of them.

I have taken apart over 200 of them so far but I must say there is enough of a variety to keep things really interesting!
I have seen really interesting switches, rubber domes, membranes, metal plates, keycaps, springs, screws, circuit boards, leds, smells, and lint! Enough to make you sick and happy all at the same time =P

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 06:36:19 »
lets see if this works.... *crosses fingers, then runs and hides*...

WOOOHOOOO!!!! it works!!! Now lets see if I can get that pic at the top of this page :P

Thanks JBert!!!! That was mighty kind of you to dumb things down for me, I really appreciate it!
I am going to try and do a pic straight up next time! YAY!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 06:43:56 by clickclack »

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 06:39:40 »
Membranes, for all their ubiquity, are still very interesting to look at.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 07:04:20 »
Quote from: clickclack;110980
Both of my computers are about 8yrs old.

Bingo. Don't be too surprised if you pop 'em open and find faulty electrolytic capacitors on the board. (And no, it's probably cheaper to get another board than to replace the caps, unless you already have a fancy soldering station.) The power supplies might also be finished if used a lot, especially if there are no other exhaust fans and they have been allowed to accumulate dust (the one in my main comp is cleaned out with a big brush about once a year - and yes, it should be disconnected from mains for quite a while for that, plus some caution can't hurt in any case).

Identifying things isn't too hard, for the board you might use good ol' Lavalys Everest (Windows) and for the power supply it only takes a boring screwdriver even you didn't bother to save the receipt.
And things get updated about as frequently as elections. I dont even have USB 2.0!

Nor do I. I'm still completely on BX boards and even older stuff (the latter is mainly for fun, of course). Having good-quality components and a reasonably new / fast harddrive helps though.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 07:08:50 »
Quote from: timw4mail;110999
Membranes, for all their ubiquity, are still very interesting to look at.

no kiddin! I have some pics of the ones I disassembled and some are oddly stunning and vibrant! And I don't think I have even opened up the ones I think will be real treats. ohhh goody, goody....

Offline lowpoly

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 07:25:38 »
Quote from: clickclack;111005
I have some pics of the ones I disassembled

Maybe post some? Put your new knowledge to use. :-)

Offline huha

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 08:14:58 »
Pics or it didn't happen.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline o2dazone

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 08:43:58 »
Love the digital painting, got a link to anymore work?

Offline itlnstln

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 10:10:11 »
It looks like it's time for a shave, ripster.  I hope you're not drooling on yourself.

Seriously though, does that guy's crotch hold the secrets to C++, or something?  He's looking at it like a pair of crystal balls.

Offline itlnstln

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 10:19:33 »
I shave, personally, but then again, I'm not really a programmer.

I do stare at my crotch constantly, though.  It tells me things.

Offline o2dazone

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 10:45:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;111068
I shave, personally, but then again, I'm not really a programmer.

I do stare at my crotch constantly, though.  It tells me things.

Is one of those things "Wash me!"

Offline itlnstln

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 10:51:52 »
Quote from: o2dazone;111080
Is one of those things "Wash me!"

Yeah, I use my finger to write on the surface.

It also says, "Help, I'm drowning!"

Offline rdjack21

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 11:23:30 »
BTW I'm a developer and I do shave semi regularly. But back to the topic at hand. I do agree it would be nice to have a few more artist type people on this forum. Including more author types as well. I'm missing xsplat and his typewriter posts. It will be interesting to see what clickclack does with all of those boards he is taking apart.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline lowpoly

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 11:29:20 »
Quote from: rdjack21;111088
I do agree it would be nice to have a few more artist type people on this forum.

I did art stuff but I've given up on it almost completely.

Offline timw4mail

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 11:49:17 »
Quote from: lowpoly;111090
I did art stuff but I've given up on it almost completely.

I used to do Terragen renderings...
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline o2dazone

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 12:19:54 »
I'm more inspired to learn about web standards and web interaction, but I came from an art background, you can see it in my photos 8)

Offline timw4mail

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 12:31:52 »
That game will set so many records if it actually gets released.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 16:08:34 »
Quote from: o2dazone;111097
I'm more inspired to learn about web standards and web interaction, but I came from an art background, you can see it in my photos 8)

Speaking of web standards, what became of my suggestion for a more visible a:focus on this very site? At least in the light theme there doesn't seem to be anything implemented.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:08:04 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;111003
Bingo. Don't be too surprised if you pop 'em open and find faulty electrolytic capacitors on the board......

You know so much more than I could hope to comprehend regarding this stuff. Though I must admit I find it fascinating! Thanks for all the info, you have me rather busy searching and trying to learn stuff :)

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:10:35 »
Quote from: lowpoly;111006
Maybe post some? Put your new knowledge to use. :-)

haahaa, you gottit! I will hopefully have stuff uploaded late, late tonight. I have about 60 gigs worth of pics from gigs and projects that are just sitting in a bag of memory cards! eeek!

Offline o2dazone

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:11:42 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;111159
Speaking of web standards, what became of my suggestion for a more visible a:focus on this very site? At least in the light theme there doesn't seem to be anything implemented.

I implemented a:focus as white text on focus a few months back. Works in ie678, firefox, safari/chrome. Opera doesn't seem to have a link tabbing feature

edit: re-read your comment, yeah nothing in the light theme

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:12:03 »
Quote from: huha;111013
Pics or it didn't happen.

-huha

haahaa! I know, I know, I am not very computer savy and I am having a massive amount of computer issues.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:16:14 »
Quote from: clickclack;111171
You know so much more than I could hope to comprehend regarding this stuff. Though I must admit I find it fascinating! Thanks for all the info, you have me rather busy searching and trying to learn stuff :)
Well, I've been dealing with these things for a few years (actually part of th reason why I started electrical engineering was frustration about not understanding even basic electric circuitry, something handy when you're a radio nut). In return, my art skills are lousy - don't be surprised if you find ASCII art illustrations on my pages. Domesticating Inkscape is still a work in progress...
Quote from: clickclack;111174
I have about 60 gigs worth of pics from gigs and projects that are just sitting in a bag of memory cards! eeek!
60 gigs? :shocked: That's not too shabby.

BTW, you can also queue up quotes from multiple posts with that M-QUOTE button. Then press QUOTE on the last one, and they'll all be inserted.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:20:45 by keyb_gr »

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:17:06 »
Quote from: o2dazone;111023
Love the digital painting, got a link to anymore work?

I have tons of stuff, but my computer problems and my ignorance are a limiting factor atm. I had a site years ago 2002? But I had no idea how to mantain it and it was quickly taken down after much information over load and inquiries.

Quote from: ripster;111049
Nice artwork!  We needed some more non-programmers around here.  Not that coders aren't exciting people or anything....

Thanks! Your Avatar in part inspired me to do it! I didn't know if it was your illustration or not, but I really liked it and it livened up the posts with a bit of visual character.
btw that pic made me laugh out loud!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:18:29 by clickclack »

Offline erricrice

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 23:08:46 »
Dude, love the avatar!!

Hey now, I'm an artistic type!!  You've got one amongst your ranks, you just didn't know it!  
I do the music thing btw.

If you have any questions about computers in general clickclack I am quite computer savvy and worked at a computer store(not best buy, a REAL computer store) until I got hired at a recording studio.  I can pretty much troubleshoot anything, makes it more difficult if I can't see it, but meh I'll figure it out.  What's your comp problem?
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 02:19:57 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;111177
Well, I've been dealing with these things for a few years....
....In return, my art skills are lousy - don't be surprised if you find ASCII art illustrations on my pages. Domesticating Inkscape is still a work in progress...

60 gigs? :shocked: That's not too shabby.

BTW, you can also queue up quotes from multiple posts with that M-QUOTE button. Then press QUOTE on the last one, and they'll all be inserted.

I really dig ASCII art! I personally suck at it but I dig it :)

yup 60 gigs :(

Thanks for the tip with the quoting thing.:wave: The method I was trying to use to consolodate was silly at best.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 02:37:25 »
Quote from: erricrice;111227
Dude, love the avatar!!

Hey now, I'm an artistic type!!  You've got one amongst your ranks, you just didn't know it!  
I do the music thing btw.

If you have any questions about computers in general clickclack I am quite computer savvy and worked at a computer store(not best buy, a REAL computer store) until I got hired at a recording studio.  I can pretty much troubleshoot anything, makes it more difficult if I can't see it, but meh I'll figure it out.  What's your comp problem?

Thanks =D
I have tried the music thing and I must say it takes far more dedication than I am ever willing to give it =P
Although I must admit I would kill to be able to play the Viola!

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it!
Atm my "main" compy problems stem from everything being so, so, so, incredibly slow that I cant really get anything done. Or it takes so long that it just ends up crashing (or might as well)
All of my computer stuff is just way, way out dated, with the sole exception of my Cintiq. Which is really sad since i can hardly use it due to the lack of newer and better components. But most of my time right now is spent dealing with my current poor health and obnoxious medical bills. So a new set up will just have to wait ( I have already been waiting for years)

some pics are coming up soon...
It has taken me 3 hours to upload...:puke:

This community is really rather generous with help! A pleasant change from the everyday social interactions I am used to.

Offline Rajagra

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 03:21:07 »
Quote from: webwit;111252
I made a load of ASCII art in a different lifetime. That is, before the rise of graphics on the Internet, in days we're building MUD and stuff. I think I had too much time on my hands.

Show Image

She's not bad, she's just typed that way.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Pics, Pics, and more PICS!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 03:46:08 »
That ASCII art was fantastic! haahaa!

And now as promised *crosses fingers*
some much delayed pics-

these are the ones I took apart today. I only took apart the rubber domed ones today, as I am saving the mechanical boards for a little later. There happened to be a higher percentage of mechanical boards in this particular batch. And that batch was almost exclusively Mac related.

This pic is from a few days ago and a different donated batch.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 04:42:21 »
Quote from: webwit;111259
Your first pic scared me. On my 26", it looked like a big pile of keyboards was about to crush down on me.

I guess there are worse ways to die!

Haaahaaa! SURPRISE!!! thats classic
honestly it would be a bad way to go, first you would be crushed, but more importantly you would have a never ending down pour of board chow...eewww.

here is another pic-
this is a pic of an Apple II? keyboard and it is really fun to mash around on. The keys have a very lovely tone and solid. There is this really funny droning metalic sound very space alien like (thats what my girlfriend said and I would have to agree). The keys are silly thick and the board is very, very, small in foot print but it is by far the tallest (thick) keyboard I have yet to use. I think this is my first experience with a "linear" switch. There is no click and the force seems to remain the same through the whole stroke. I have a key from an average rubber dome keyboard to compare thickness of keys.

Offline lowpoly

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 07:19:47 »
Interesting.

The AST keyboard, 2nd column from the left, 4th from the bottom. What kind of switch does it have?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 08:10:04 »
That's quite the collection. In the second batch, I spotted:
  • 2 MS Naturals (the cleaner one is older) - OK, that was easy
  • 1 Acer KB101(/A/B), the one on the left with the 4 LEDs; this should have either real Alps switches or clicky Acer lookalikes (if the keycaps come off reasonably easily by hand it's probably the latter, on Alps switches the caps tend to cling on for dear life so in some cases you might rather rip off the switch than the cap)
  • 2 Packard Bell (BTC inside) rubber domes like my old one, they're quite nice
  • 1 OEM Cherry MX11800 (does this one also have browns?)
  • 1 craptacular Logitech Internet Navigator (yay)
  • Some Focus board I think? (the one with the yellowed keys)
  • That Model M lookalike with L-shaped Enter could be a Mitsumi, Silitek or somesuch
  • I think these IBM rubber domes are some of the better ones.
  • The two boards on the lower right seem to be some Apples ones, but apparently no Extended IIs, that one is at the top left
  • The board with the very white keys and slightly yellowed case near the top right could be a mechanical... Monterey or something.
What's the right Gateway board like? It looks interesting at least, and I spooted one on the 'bay recently.

Oh, and it seems like you could use a big pack of those denture cleaning tabs (see recent thread). And a good bit of dishwashing liquid.

The old Apple board is nice. Looks like it has old Alps switches. Too bad the numpad Enter is b0rked.

You can also post stuff in the main Keyboard Pics thread if you want.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 August 2009, 08:21:36 by keyb_gr »

Offline lowpoly

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 08:25:56 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;111272

The two boards on the lower right seem to be some Apples ones, but apparently no Extended IIs

Those look like the Apple Design keyboard, a rubber dome.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 15:46:27 »
Quote from: lowpoly;111270
Interesting.

The AST keyboard, 2nd column from the left, 4th from the bottom. What kind of switch does it have?

I will have to check, but I believe the AST one to the direct upper right of it is just a rubber dome. I will check a little later cuz my back is killing me from yesterdays keyboard demolition :S

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 16:04:34 »
comments in (hmm..lets pick something pretty...) green

Quote from: keyb_gr;111272
That's quite the collection. In the second batch, I spotted:
  • 2 MS Naturals (the cleaner one is older) - OK, that was easy
  • 1 Acer KB101(/A/B), the one on the left with the 4 LEDs; this should have either real Alps switches or clicky Acer lookalikes (if the keycaps come off reasonably easily by hand it's probably the latter, on Alps switches the caps tend to cling on for dear life so in some cases you might rather rip off the switch than the cap)
quite possible, but again I would have to check
  • 2 Packard Bell (BTC inside) rubber domes like my old one, they're quite nice
yup most of the Packard Bells feel pretty decent
  • 1 OEM Cherry MX11800 (does this one also have browns?)
I am not too sure there is a Cherry in the group, I don't think as of yet I have encountered a Cherry brown either
  • 1 craptacular Logitech Internet Navigator (yay)
Logitech seem to have the most variation in mountings, membranes, and rubber domes
  • Some Focus board I think? (the one with the yellowed keys)
  • That Model M lookalike with L-shaped Enter could be a Mitsumi, Silitek or somesuch
I think Mitsumi. The really interesting thing about model M lookalikes is that even the insides look like a model M just with rubber domes. Some with curved metal plates and some with curved plastic ones
  • I think these IBM rubber domes are some of the better ones.
Most of the IBM boards look and feel really nice (when compared to "most" other rubber domes
  • The two boards on the lower right seem to be some Apples ones, but apparently no Extended IIs, that one is at the top left
Yup they are Apple Design keyboards. And the uppper left one is an Extended II. Which I now must have 15+ of by now!!!

• The board with the very white keys and slightly yellowed case near the top right could be a mechanical... Monterey or something.
again  would have to check
[/list]
What's the right Gateway board like? It looks interesting at least, and I spooted one on the 'bay recently.
think there are a couple Gateways in their. Most Gateways that are a normal layout feel decent enough (maybe better than most) but the ergonomic ones tend to feel like icky mush and poor travel

Oh, and it seems like you could use a big pack of those denture cleaning tabs (see recent thread). And a good bit of dishwashing liquid.
You truly have no idea :( I usually wipe em down first with alcohol and then after being disassembled I give them a soak in Comet. It does a great job and if you rinse them fully no real residue remains. But on my project the get a final alcohol wipe and the are gorgeous! Bran spankin new looking

The old Apple board is nice. Looks like it has old Alps switches. Too bad the numpad Enter is b0rked.
Yeah that thing reminds me of my early childhood in school.

You can also post stuff in the main Keyboard Pics thread if you want.
I might just do that, but  need to focus atm :)

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 16:19:29 »
Quote from: lowpoly;111273
Those look like the Apple Design keyboard, a rubber dome.

Correct! They are kinda interesting. The rubber domes are usually separated and either stuck on the underside of two piece key stems ore silicone mounted to the membrane (but still separated, not in sheets) And They tend to be a very lovely green. You will see pics of that later.

I just got yet another donation today and there looks to be A TON (proportionaly) of mechanical Alps stuff. Mostly Dell AT101W's MUUUUAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAA!!!

But first let me post more pics I couldn't get to last night.

Tons more pics to come soon....stay tuned... =)

I get a ton of metal plates from taking the rubber domed keyboards apart, most of them have them. And they tend to be as unique as the keyboards the come from. Some (just like many other things) seem to change greatly even among the same model!

This next pics is of one of the few buckling spring donations that I have recieved. It has a very interesting layout and feels wonderful. It seems a little lighter than a Model M. Somewhere in between a model F and M. It came that way too, with the top case off and the bottom case missing (looks like someone was trying to fix it or hack it.

I have no clue as to why this post rearranged itself, sorry :S
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 August 2009, 16:23:08 by clickclack »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 16:32:44 »
That mystery board would have to be from some kind of terminal, but then which one came with an AT-style L-shaped Enter?

The MX11800 was easy to spot btw - it's the one with the touchpad. It might only happen that it has blacks rather than browns (the Compaq was a custom order).

Offline lowpoly

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 16:36:11 »
That mysterious BS 'board is from an IBM wheelwriter or some other after-Selectric typewriter.

Offline xyzzy

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 16:41:45 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;111359
The MX11800 was easy to spot btw - it's the one with the touchpad. It might only happen that it has blacks rather than browns (the Compaq was a custom order).

That's a Cherry MX11900 (or G80-11900) with the touchpad: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/keyboards/Industrial/11900/index.htm - I think it's only been produced with black switches.

As far as I know the MX11800 was the variant with brown switches and the trackball in place of the touchpad, no Win keys and was only sold under the Compaq label.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline lowpoly

Project "Board Chow"
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 16:43:39 »
Wheelwriter 3:

Possible source for white BS keycaps.