Author Topic: [IC] GMK DUALSHOT | LAUNCHES DEC 4TH  (Read 51430 times)

Offline zakatak

• no cash
Re: [IC] GMK DUALSHOT | December 2019 | UPDATES!
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 10:07:08 »
Can you go for a cooler grey similar to the actual dualshock 1?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 10:41:42 »

He's using GMK stock colors.  This keeps the set cheaper and production faster (no need to get samples).

Here's the options:
230522-0

Maybe if he gets samples from modern Dolch light modifiers in time to change it?

I looked through my caps to see if there was a suitable gray from a past kit and I cannot find one that fits the bill. 

Honestly need to try and convince GMK to get some more grays in their lineup.  :P

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 11:36:39 »
Big improvements
I just thought of something while looking at the novelty kit, maybe you might consider these 'rgb' mods for the novelty kit
Show Image

I like this idea
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline antx1701

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 12:35:11 »
New kits are basically perfect. Although, and I know I'm alone in this, I would prefer the kit to be 2M keys with 2B legends to match the PSone redesign. I've always preferred this look over the original.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 16:42:16 »
Cleaned this thread up a bit.  There seem to be a few vocal users that like to provoke IC and GB posters with comments unrelated to the keyset or thread itself.  If you have a personal vendetta against a runner, maybe just don't buy their stuff?  Warnings will be issued if this behavior continues.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: [IC] GMK DUALSHOT | December 2019
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 16:56:26 »
I'm lost.  I mean I get it but the colors are all wrong unless the US got some weird version of PSX and this is based off something else ...

i'm surprised no one else noticed how off the colours were...

Show Image

Oh I see it now, yeah the grey is too dark, makes me think of like concrete and paint rather than the Sony.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 18:37:14 »
I'm lost.  I mean I get it but the colors are all wrong unless the US got some weird version of PSX and this is based off something else ...

i'm surprised no one else noticed how off the colours were...

Show Image

He's using GMK stock colors.  This keeps the set cheaper and production faster (no need to get samples).

Here's the options:
(Attachment Link)

Maybe if he gets samples from modern Dolch light modifiers in time to change it?

I looked through my caps to see if there was a suitable gray from a past kit and I cannot find one that fits the bill. 

Honestly need to try and convince GMK to get some more grays in their lineup.  :P

Using GMK color codes from Keyboard Layout Editor, GR1 looks a lot closer to leexy's picture.

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2019, 21:33:12 by dvorcol »

Offline bthezebra

[IC] GMK DUALSHOT | December 2019 | UPDATES!
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 21:21:26 »
I do really like the GR1 idea especially after seeing dvorcol’s awesome table. I also support the “rgb” mods. Each little tweak is making this feel more PSX.

Small edit maybe 2b can be the accent color to this kit rather than N9 if GR1 is the base key color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2019, 22:07:40 by bthezebra »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 21:25:00 »
I don't know of any sets that use GR1, but it looks very light in every photo I see of color sample keys.  Your mockup looks nice, but I think the color is, in actuality, much closer to white than gray.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 21:49:22 »
I don't know of any sets that use GR1, but it looks very light in every photo I see of color sample keys.  Your mockup looks nice, but I think the color is, in actuality, much closer to white than gray.

GMK Violet Tendencies uses GR1 and it looks white in pictures.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 22:10:49 »

Jinnnxxu’s photo not mine.

I think it looks like a very light gray, possibly an off white, but I definitely would not say it looks “white”

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 22:24:11 »
Yeah, I'm not going to debate the proper definition of "white" with you, but that still looks way lighter the the playstation console that leexy posted...

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 22:30:30 »
Define white:

White is the lightest color and is achromatic (having no hue).

I agree it’s lighter than her picture but the is the dark gray a more accurate representation? I can’t say but I think there is benefit to be had in seeing a render to compare.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 22:36:00 »
Define white:

White is the lightest color and is achromatic (having no hue).

I agree it’s lighter than her picture but the is the dark gray a more accurate representation? I can’t say but I think there is benefit to be had in seeing a render to compare.

Whatever, you win I guess. Congrats, lol.. And I don't disagree that the current color is too dark (see the first page where I questioned the color choice). I think there needs to be a custom color chosen though and I specifically said this on the IC form. Neither 2B or GR1 work imo.

Offline antx1701

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 23:48:16 »
This thread is serious business, lol.

Offline nathanchere

Re: [IC] GMK DUALSHOT | December 2019
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 00:50:44 »
Oh. I don't think the name of the set is generic enough. :rolleyes:
I know you're being sarcastic but at least it suits the generic look of the actual set

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 02:23:21 »
Guys,

Dixie mentions in the OP that he'd like to use stock colours to keep the MOQ down and make this keyset more viable for those who are into it. So please keep that in mind.

As for the off-white/light grey option, I would agree that GR1 isn't it. People are asking for a redesigned PSOne and kinda trying to skip on the fact that keyset colourway is inspired by the controller (Dualshock > Dualshot eh?).

I own an original PS1 (just like the one under "More" in this message (NOT my console, sharing as an example) and I would agree that the keyset is a tad darker than the console BUT I firmly believe that going for a custom colour is nonsense. I understand that some people may not get this set because it's not EXACTLY the same but please don't pressure Dixie into something else than that what he has stated in the OP in the first couple of sentences and giving a reasoning behind it. 150 or 250 MOQ is a big difference and given the great number of keysets already happening and the planned launch of this keyset, it seems that you are trying to rush him into a small disaster.

Maybe my nostalgia is speaking but novelties and the idea itself is winning me over and not the perfect shade of this. It would be a nice-to-have not a must-have for me is all I'm saying.

EDIT: Please hear me out - how people feel about CC stock colour? It gives me that yellowed PS1 plastic vibe how most consoles look now. :D Just throwing it out there but I'm good any which way.

More
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2019, 02:29:13 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 07:41:33 »
Guys,

Dixie mentions in the OP that he'd like to use stock colours to keep the MOQ down and make this keyset more viable for those who are into it. So please keep that in mind.

As for the off-white/light grey option, I would agree that GR1 isn't it. People are asking for a redesigned PSOne and kinda trying to skip on the fact that keyset colourway is inspired by the controller (Dualshock > Dualshot eh?).

I own an original PS1 (just like the one under "More" in this message (NOT my console, sharing as an example) and I would agree that the keyset is a tad darker than the console BUT I firmly believe that going for a custom colour is nonsense. I understand that some people may not get this set because it's not EXACTLY the same but please don't pressure Dixie into something else than that what he has stated in the OP in the first couple of sentences and giving a reasoning behind it. 150 or 250 MOQ is a big difference and given the great number of keysets already happening and the planned launch of this keyset, it seems that you are trying to rush him into a small disaster.

Maybe my nostalgia is speaking but novelties and the idea itself is winning me over and not the perfect shade of this. It would be a nice-to-have not a must-have for me is all I'm saying.

EDIT: Please hear me out - how people feel about CC stock colour? It gives me that yellowed PS1 plastic vibe how most consoles look now. :D Just throwing it out there but I'm good any which way.

More
Show Image

it's close.

and don't make fun of my photoshop. I ain't no 3d renderer!

Offline zakatak

• no cash
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 07:53:37 »
Guys,

More
Show Image

it's close.

and don't make fun of my photoshop. I ain't no 3d renderer!

ooh yes

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 09:14:03 »
Hmm... cc looks good based on the photo and inspiration.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2019, 09:31:41 by bthezebra »

Offline leexy

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 09:53:24 »
New kits are basically perfect. Although, and I know I'm alone in this, I would prefer the kit to be 2M keys with 2B legends to match the PSone redesign. I've always preferred this look over the original.

Show Image

this is good. but will most likely cannibalise modo light

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 11:01:35 »
To everyone who is talking about there being a better stock color. I didn’t just grab a random color with no thought and run with it. I sat there for hours trying to decide which one was best. With the physical caps in front of me.

The problem is that there is no cool mid Gray in the stock colors.

CC is basically tan/brown. It is not gray. If it was a cool tone, this one would be perfect. But it’s too warm.

Gr1 is a very very light gray. Like said above, it’s nearly white.

2B is the only viable option with the stock colors. I wish there were better options between the light and dark, but there just isn’t.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 12:42:06 »
To everyone who is talking about there being a better stock color. I didn’t just grab a random color with no thought and run with it. I sat there for hours trying to decide which one was best. With the physical caps in front of me.

Are you now gonna tell us that you actually did your research? Sheesh, the nerve some keyset designers have nowadays... ;D ;D ;D

Offline ViciousVerbivore

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 21:06:24 »
Since this is being made with stock GMK colours, would you consider offering a (presumably not too expensive and/or low MOQ) R0/R5 kit?

Offline egstad

• EGSTAD.COM
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 21:21:21 »
****ing love this set - Nice work. I think the cool, mid-grey base provides an interesting and pleasant contrast between it and the set's accent colors. As an ortho user, I wish there was better ortho support—colored accents in particular—as those pops of color really make the set something unique. Might purchase anyways, but... but... but...  :'(

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
Re: [IC] GMK DUALSHOT | LAUNCHES DEC 4TH
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 22:20:53 »
GMK DUALSHOT is launching this Wednesday, Dec 4th!

I have also added a desk mat to sit alongside the keyset!

Thanks for the overwhelming support in this IC phase!

Offline titanium

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 05:20:42 »
Are the power buttons pad printed on that novelty kit or doubleshot?

Offline rondg

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 05:53:35 »
Are the power buttons pad printed on that novelty kit or doubleshot?

I think if there are LED windows, it's pad printed

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 17:01:57 »
Hope we can get a more fleshed out Dualshot run in the future!