Author Topic: [IC] TADA69 ISO Plate  (Read 8883 times)

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
[IC] TADA69 ISO Plate
« on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 15:07:46 »
Dear Geehackers!

As some of you already may know of us, we are a EU based store that provides TADA68 keyboards and SABER68 keyboards too since our cooperation with Originative.co went live.
The keyboard is great and many EU customers would probably wish for an ISO version but there is nothing available yet. We realized that the keyboard PCBs have ISO Compatibility but there are no plates available to make ISO 68s happen.

We have been working for the past 3 weeks on getting a plate sorted in CAD, we think that you guys would be interested in an ISO plate.

The price is going to be the lowest we can provide it at since the 68 keyboard is a cheaper keyboard it would make no sense to provide some crazy-priced component to it. The price varies of course depending on the interest.

I have attached the CAD Drawing below, we need to remeasure the sides to make sure it fits in the case, having been running around with a millimeter calipre, the drawings should be accurate.

UPDATE - A lot of interest, getting pricing, There will be a small MOQ as we will be financing this.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 18:21:42 by CandyKeys »
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline .

Re: [IC] TADA/SABER68 ISO Plate
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 15:24:31 »
I think it's nice but the screw holes are huge compared to the original.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 15:28:45 »
Interestingly, I did actually do this myself last year:

Looking at your plate, I think there are some improvements that could be made:

• Switchtop opening would be a nice to have (note that I did do this on the plate that I made)
  • The TADA68 PCB allows the use of PCB-mounted stabs. Theoretically, the platemount stab cutout should allow a PCB mount stabs to fit through, however, in practice, I find that due to tolerances and kerf characteristics from different laser/waterjet cutting fabs, this is not always the case. Ideally I think you should widen the stab cutout, since PCB mount stabs is better in my opinion.
  • The stock TADA keymapper does not properly allow the end user to map the ISO backslash key (QMK code: KC_NUBS). You will need to use QMK or EasyAVR to generate the keymap, as I found out the hard way. It's not a deal breaker, and I prefer to use QMK anyway, but this is another one of the things you will need to keep in mind if you want to build an ISO TADA68. In reality, I think the quality of the TADA PCB leaves much to be desired, and I actually recommend the use of Sentraq S65 PCB, since I believe the mounting posts are natively compatible with the TADA68 case.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 16:38:57 »
Interestingly, I did actually do this myself last year:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looking at your plate, I think there are some improvements that could be made:

• Switchtop opening would be a nice to have (note that I did do this on the plate that I made)
  • The TADA68 PCB allows the use of PCB-mounted stabs. Theoretically, the platemount stab cutout should allow a PCB mount stabs to fit through, however, in practice, I find that due to tolerances and kerf characteristics from different laser/waterjet cutting fabs, this is not always the case. Ideally I think you should widen the stab cutout, since PCB mount stabs is better in my opinion.
  • The stock TADA keymapper does not properly allow the end user to map the ISO backslash key (QMK code: KC_NUBS). You will need to use QMK or EasyAVR to generate the keymap, as I found out the hard way. It's not a deal breaker, and I prefer to use QMK anyway, but this is another one of the things you will need to keep in mind if you want to build an ISO TADA68. In reality, I think the quality of the TADA PCB leaves much to be desired, and I actually recommend the use of Sentraq S65 PCB, since I believe the mounting posts are natively compatible with the TADA68 case.

Looks great! Yeah we ourselves thought that the holes can be smaller, we will change it accordingly. Thanks! We will get back to you :)

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 13:23:09 »
V2 PLATE

- Changed to switchtop
- Fixed the hole sizes

Seems to be better now, who would be interested?

Regarding the keymapping, that can be sorted no problem :)

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 16:19:08 »
V2 PLATE

- Changed to switchtop
- Fixed the hole sizes

Show Image

You may also consider changing the stabiliser holes to PCB-mount only, but this is mostly my personal preference. I think the cutout pattern for platemount stabs is very finnicky and visually displeasing.

Here is a later revision of my TADA68 universal plates (it's not ISO-only like my earlier plate, but you get the point:
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Idef1x

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 13:55:07 »
Any news on this project? :) I was toying with the idea of a tada68, but I want my next board to have ISO layout.
Board: Clueboard 66%, 65g Zealios, /dev/tty caps.

Offline punkpc

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 10:40:59 »
V2 PLATE

- Changed to switchtop
- Fixed the hole sizes

Show Image

You may also consider changing the stabiliser holes to PCB-mount only, but this is mostly my personal preference. I think the cutout pattern for platemount stabs is very finnicky and visually displeasing.

Here is a later revision of my TADA68 universal plates (it's not ISO-only like my earlier plate, but you get the point:
Show Image

Any updates on this new universal plate?

Offline Trousers

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 14:17:52 »
KBDFans does sell a Tada68 kit with an ISO plate, so I wonder if CandyKeys could stock it as well:  https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/pcb/products/tada68-pcn
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2018, 01:24:19 by Trousers »

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 17:42:41 »
BDFans does sell a Tada68 kit with an ISO plate, so I wonder if CandyKeys could stock it as well:  https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/pcb/products/tada68-pcn

Already happening, no worries. We thought of creative more expensive alternate with better finish but we will be providing a GB to enable cheaper pricing.

Offline indiceiris

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 07:56:39 »
Hey - do you happen to have the measurements of the case holes handy? I'm not sure if mine are accurate!

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 06:29:40 »
I would grab one of these!

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
Re: [IC] TADA69 ISO Plate
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 18:22:06 »

It is happening! Expect an update this week.

Offline SolidCactus

Re: [IC] TADA69 ISO Plate
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 05:38:23 »
Any update on this one?