Author Topic: HuB - New Keycap Profile | Kickstarter Launch | From TheVanKeyboards  (Read 59682 times)

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
Re: HuB - New Keycap Profile | Kickstarter Launch | From TheVanKeyboards
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 12:33:45 »
I like the profile I hope this works out so we can see more competition in the future!
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 13:16:36 »
I like the profile I hope this works out so we can see more competition in the future!

thank you. I believe it can happen. We just need to keep spreading awareness and get folks in for at least a set. With how large the mech keys community has become there is really no reason this shouldn't get funded.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 13:18:55 »
Updated post with three new banners, if you guys want to rep a specific keyset here's your chance. Go to the original post to find the new text codes!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 13:41:43 »
Love the profile, love the colours but the legends aren't my bag at all. Hopefully this round succeeds & you can progress to some legends that are a little more conventional & less polarizing.

I really want to support this as well, but am in the same boat.  I really like traditional legends for some reason, despite being born in the 80s.  I might jump in just to show support despite not liking the icons.   :thumb:

Thank you so much, down the line this is more than doable. This is bigger than just the current sets, we are kickstarting us becoming a manufacturer from the ground up. And through this we are hoping to bring competition in the keycap market. So you supporting us even though you don't like the current state of the legends means so much. We hope more people see it this way.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 14:46:22 »
Hi guys.  I don't completely understand what you're going for with this sculpt.  Could you lay it out in a little more detail?  Maybe include the sculpt angle for each row?  Still trying to wrap my head around it...
I'm pretty sure the sculpt is identical to cherry profile but with spherical tops.

I dunno, man.  I'm not seeing Cherry profile in this drawing.

Show Image

It even kinda looks like Row 1 is inverted away from the user slightly.  Just looking for a little clarification.

I think this image is a little more representative:

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 14:59:57 »
A little combo I came up with the other night. Can't wait to try it with the real caps

Offline PRkeys

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 21:04:47 »
Saw a new post on reddit. Give it some love!

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/8abr68/gb_hub_a_new_keycap_profile/

Thank you :D I'll be making mechmarket and reddit posts as often as possible.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 21:30:10 »
TBH I'm not really a fan of the mod legends even though I understand the reasoning behind the choice and most of the colorways aren't to my taste, but I'm considering joining this simply because it'd be nice to see a DSA/Cherry hybrid and $50 is a great price for a set.

One question I have though:  I'm tempted to make a hyperfuse knockoff (dreamweaver alphas + 80s kid mods) but I don't like accent spacebars and dreamweaver appears to have a whiter white than other sets, would it be possible to make a spacebar to match its alphas?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 21:50:12 »
TBH I'm not really a fan of the mod legends even though I understand the reasoning behind the choice and most of the colorways aren't to my taste, but I'm considering joining this simply because it'd be nice to see a DSA/Cherry hybrid and $50 is a great price for a set.

One question I have though:  I'm tempted to make a hyperfuse knockoff (dreamweaver alphas + 80s kid mods) but I don't like accent spacebars and dreamweaver appears to have a whiter white than other sets, would it be possible to make a spacebar to match its alphas?

The colors are locked in, sorry :(.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 00:45:36 »
You guys should make a post about this project on r/kickstarter!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 01:02:59 »

oh that's an excellent idea! we have another subreddit we were thinking about as well.

Offline 69420swag

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 03:00:28 »

The colors are locked in, sorry :(.
Just wanna clarify, are the whites for miami and dreamweaver different, I can't tell too easily from the top-down renders.

Nevermind I see that they are different.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 April 2018, 03:44:29 by 69420swag »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 03:24:09 »
Spherical profiles are not comfortable. They add one annoying restraint to the position of the finger in the N-S direction. By definition, the movement of the finger happens mostly in the N-S direction, much more than in the W-E direction, so precise positioning is much more difficult.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 04:51:12 »
Spherical profiles are not comfortable. They add one annoying restraint to the position of the finger in the N-S direction. By definition, the movement of the finger happens mostly in the N-S direction, much more than in the W-E direction, so precise positioning is much more difficult.

Ok

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 06:43:54 »

Ok

YES
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 April 2018, 06:46:15 by Giorgio »

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 09:21:40 »
oh that's an excellent idea! we have another subreddit we were thinking about as well.
Go for the gamer/pc enthusiast ones.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 12:05:00 »
We have a poll up for the next keyboard render you'd like to see with HuB.

https://www.strawpoll.me/15453891

That's all I have to say, let's keep pumping those numbers up!

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 13:30:02 »
You should definitely do a Kira render. Kira's also coming out in October, so Kira and HuB are a natural pairing. We just need to convince the 1k of Kira backers of that.  :D

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 13:38:54 »
You should definitely do a Kira render. Kira's also coming out in October, so Kira and HuB are a natural pairing. We just need to convince the 1k of Kira backers of that.  :D

this :thumb:

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 13:39:38 »

we are working on a cross promotion with IC :D

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 16:00:43 »
Oh don’t worry. I’m spreading this to all the Kira backers and I think we’ll be seeing a Kira render soon!

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 18:15:06 »
FYI, you may already be aware but the 60% renders in your hub gallery need the spacebar color corrected for Miami and Midnight

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 12:32:58 »
Kira is now promoting hub and we'll soon make a cross promotional update for them. The render gallery now has ortholinear boards up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 12:34:31 »
FYI, you may already be aware but the 60% renders in your hub gallery need the spacebar color corrected for Miami and Midnight
I'll let our artist know but I believe it was done on purpose just to throw in a sneaky mix and match here and there.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 15:45:56 »
Go show your love on reddit:

New mechmarket post: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/8asv84/gb_hub_has_almost_reached_100k/

New render up on rmk: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/8aqs0k/i_need_this_in_my_life/

We're almost at 100k let's hit that goal today!  :thumb:

Offline dsaf

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 17:12:53 »
Backed for a three-pack.

Why is Kickstarter promo image a close up of a weird anime dude, instead of one of those sexy vivid 3D renders that showcase the actual product?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:05:33 »
Backed for a three-pack.

Why is Kickstarter promo image a close up of a weird anime dude, instead of one of those sexy vivid 3D renders that showcase the actual product?

Realistic renders aren’t allowed. We could get our Kickstarter pulled if we did that :(

Offline dsaf

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:37:09 »
Realistic renders aren’t allowed. We could get our Kickstarter pulled if we did that :(

Well, that sucks!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:45:11 »

Well, that sucks!

It is because people were using renders to mis-represent products as closer to completed than they were.

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:55:50 »
Yeah that sucks. Maybe update the older ones you had that were clear renders but still allowed people to visualize the sets on a keyboard.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 19:06:53 »
Yeah that sucks. Maybe update the older ones you had that were clear renders but still allowed people to visualize the sets on a keyboard.

Yeah we are thinking of doing a render where the keyboard is like 8x so that it’s clear it’s a render or maybe put in a dinosaur

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 19:44:46 »

Yeah we are thinking of doing a render where the keyboard is like 8x so that it’s clear it’s a render or maybe put in a dinosaur
Are you able to send them for their approval first just in case? Or maybe adding an note on the images. My understanding is they are against photorealistic renders that people may think are real.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 20:03:31 »

+1 for the dinosaur  :thumb:

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 20:17:53 »

How about a render where the keycaps are just floating in midair, like on a propped-up keyboard but minus the keyboard itself?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 20:59:33 »

How about a render where the keycaps are just floating in midair, like on a propped-up keyboard but minus the keyboard itself?

yeah I think that's what we are going to end up doing. with an obvious not real life background.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 21:51:44 »
Which option should I back if I want each full set of skidata and paperwork?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 22:19:31 »
You could either back the three pack and get an extra set or back the 50 dollar one and manually set your pledge to 100.

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 23:26:08 »
Congratulation guys! 100K is an important milestone. With more than 50 days to go you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work! 

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 00:16:14 »
You could either back the three pack and get an extra set or back the 50 dollar one and manually set your pledge to 100.

Thanks for your advise. I think I just save $125 that since either one pack or three three pack have gone.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 00:41:06 »

Thanks for your advise. I think I just save $125 that since either one pack or three three pack have gone.

They haven’t gone. There are two of each pledge and the ones that are gone/sold out are the old ones that were restrictive on color choices. We disabled them and added the new ones for clarity but it seems to still be confusing

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 05:56:04 »
I don't fully understand why so few questions are being asked in this thread, it's a little worrying to me:

At $50 roughly per set and a $500k goal, based on the Kickstarter page and this thread it sounds like you're planning to purchase and set up an injection molding manufacuring space, manufacture molds, create around 9,000-10,000 sets of 150+ caps each in 12 different colorways and QC them in 5 months.

- Keeping manufacturing in the US, does that mean you're using an existing manufacturer or creating your own? I've heard you might be purchasing injection molding machines?
- If you're working with an existing manufacturer, who? How will you oversee their QC process?
- If not, wow so many questions.
- What experince running logistics on such a massive quantity of parts do you have? Running GBs for keyboards is quite different, we're literally talking multiple orders of magnitude difference in numbers of parts. It would be good to know how many people you have staffed to help with this stuff, or if a manufacturer will be doing all of the sorting, QC'ing, replacing parts, and shipping.
- Have the molds been designed and/or tested already? Past projects here that have included designing injection molds have taken a significant amount of time troubleshooting minutae related to the molds themselves, is iterating on them in your timeline?

You're undertaking quite a lot, just curious how deep you're going. Look at other people who have manufactured stuff here both with and without the help of existing manufacturers, it's not trivial. Yet there's tons of discussion about mixing and matching colorways and not much about where $500,000 is going.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 07:16:11 »
If you're working with an existing manufacturer, who? How will you oversee their QC process?

It's very possible that they cannot reveal who this is at this point.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 07:29:38 »
I don't fully understand why so few questions are being asked in this thread, it's a little worrying to me:

At $50 roughly per set and a $500k goal, based on the Kickstarter page and this thread it sounds like you're planning to purchase and set up an injection molding manufacuring space, manufacture molds, create around 9,000-10,000 sets of 150+ caps each in 12 different colorways and QC them in 5 months.

- Keeping manufacturing in the US, does that mean you're using an existing manufacturer or creating your own? I've heard you might be purchasing injection molding machines?
- If you're working with an existing manufacturer, who? How will you oversee their QC process?
- What experince running logistics on such a massive quantity of parts do you have? Running GBs for keyboards is quite different, we're literally talking multiple orders of magnitude difference in numbers of parts. It would be good to know how many people you have staffed to help with this stuff, or if a manufacturer will be doing all of the sorting, QC'ing, replacing parts, and shipping.
- Have the molds been designed and/or tested already? Past projects here that have included designing injection molds have taken a significant amount of time troubleshooting minutae related to the molds themselves, is iterating on them in your timeline?

You're undertaking quite a lot, just curious how deep you're going. Look at other people who have manufactured stuff here both with and without the help of existing manufacturers, it's not trivial. Yet there's tons of discussion about mixing and matching colorways and not much about where $500,000 is going.

Hi,

Thanks for your questions. The company we are working with has done injection molding through the years but at present primarily focuses on tooling molds for injection molding. For this project machinery will be purchased along with molds.

The way they are tooling this project will remove nearly all manual labor. This is a big reason why we can produce in the states. There is an automated qc process that they have developed combined with manual checks.

There has been a specification process to ensure the models will be molded accurately as we expect. I have another meeting in this regard just to discuss the legends. All of this before the Kickstarter is even over. I’ve been discussing this project with them for at least 6 months already.

I have a number of people on standby to help with fulfillment, some of which have factory experience production and packing thousands of parts per shift. Because of our manufacturing process there will be almost no sorting.

I’m on my phone and your post was lengthy so I hope I haven’t left anything out.

TLDR I’m working with expert tooling company that will run molding for me. New machine, new molds. I’ve been working directly with this company for over 6 months already.

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 08:55:20 »
Van team, Be very careful on how your legal agreements and contracts are worded with your manufacturing partners and anybody helping you guys in this process. Pay very careful attention to any clauses on ownership of the intellectual property of the new profile and the tooling, exclusivity agreements, royalties and other items Beyond this specific first round.

With the excitement of making things happen and signing documents away you don't want to end up tied up for any future use in a way that you don't intend.  :eek: It may be obvious, but if this tips over don't skimp on getting your own legal team to go over everything.

Sorry to sound like your moms with all this unsolicited advice. I am sure you have some great experience under your belt already but me now ingrained in the world of startups, marketing, and the like, I am just trying to give pointers to ensure you guys succeed. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 April 2018, 08:57:43 by PRkeys »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 09:19:27 »
Van team, Be very careful on how your legal agreements and contracts are worded with your manufacturing partners and anybody helping you guys in this process. Pay very careful attention to any clauses on ownership of the intellectual property of the new profile and the tooling, exclusivity agreements, royalties and other items Beyond this specific first round.

With the excitement of making things happen and signing documents away you don't want to end up tied up for any future use in a way that you don't intend.  :eek: It may be obvious, but if this tips over don't skimp on getting your own legal team to go over everything.

Sorry to sound like your moms with all this unsolicited advice. I am sure you have some great experience under your belt already but me now ingrained in the world of startups, marketing, and the like, I am just trying to give pointers to ensure you guys succeed.

Thank you for the advice. I already have a lawyer on the team, but it’s always good to be reminded to be vigilant.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 09:53:26 »

Hi,

Thanks for your questions. The company we are working with has done injection molding through the years but at present primarily focuses on tooling molds for injection molding. For this project machinery will be purchased along with molds.

The way they are tooling this project will remove nearly all manual labor. This is a big reason why we can produce in the states. There is an automated qc process that they have developed combined with manual checks.

There has been a specification process to ensure the models will be molded accurately as we expect. I have another meeting in this regard just to discuss the legends. All of this before the Kickstarter is even over. I’ve been discussing this project with them for at least 6 months already.

I have a number of people on standby to help with fulfillment, some of which have factory experience production and packing thousands of parts per shift. Because of our manufacturing process there will be almost no sorting.

I’m on my phone and your post was lengthy so I hope I haven’t left anything out.

TLDR I’m working with expert tooling company that will run molding for me. New machine, new molds. I’ve been working directly with this company for over 6 months already.

Awesome, thanks for all the details :) That kind of info goes a long way (in my mind) to legitimize this whole venture, or at least inform people what they are funding.

Questions beyond that are beyond my knowledge of plastic manufacturing, but this does sound quite interesting. I'd be very interested to see behind-the-scenes details of the process, how this automated QC process works, etc. Do you know what kind of transparency you'll be giving backers to see behind the curtain? Will you eventually be able to reveal who these companies you're working with are?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 10:11:41 »

Hi,

Awesome, thanks for all the details :) That kind of info goes a long way (in my mind) to legitimize this whole venture, or at least inform people what they are funding.

Questions beyond that are beyond my knowledge of plastic manufacturing, but this does sound quite interesting. I'd be very interested to see behind-the-scenes details of the process, how this automated QC process works, etc. Do you know what kind of transparency you'll be giving backers to see behind the curtain? Will you eventually be able to reveal who these companies you're working with are?

I've added a couple FAQ's to the kickstarter with this info.

I've got some footage of the machines running that I want to upload, need to remove audio first. I would like to document as much of the process as possible, but obviously some stuff can't be shared. Once we are further along I can share who we are working with.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 10:19:57 »

Hi,

I've got some footage of the machines running that I want to upload, need to remove audio first. I would like to document as much of the process as possible, but obviously some stuff can't be shared. Once we are further along I can share who we are working with.

So you'll be leveraging a manufacturing facility with new molds, not hiring your own employees to do this, yea?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 10:40:11 »

Hi,

So you'll be leveraging a manufacturing facility with new molds, not hiring your own employees to do this, yea?

for the production and sorting of the caps, yes. I will be hiring employees to package the packs of caps into boxes and fulfilling orders.