Author Topic: HuB - New Keycap Profile | Kickstarter Launch | From TheVanKeyboards  (Read 59671 times)

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
Re: HuB - New Keycap Profile | Kickstarter Launch | From TheVanKeyboards
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 12:51:46 »
*Snip*

Nice post, you tackled a lot of questions. You seemed to skip the one's about the colorway ripoffs - gonna assume you just don't give a **** about that aspect. bummer.

Its funny you gave so much **** about kbdfans offering a split space pcb and even asked people to boycott them for "stealing"
Let's see, 80s Kid, Laguna, Dreamweaver, Paperwork, Hive, Heart, and Midnite are all, to my knowledge, non-derivative colorways. That leaves Skidata, Royal, Nuke, Miami, and Joker. Everyone and their mother has made a Miami variant. Neither Matt3o nor thisiscamper have complained about Evan's variant on their colorways, and Royal, which coincidentally is the only one "identical" to it's inspiration, is based on an already derivative colorway. That just leaves Skidata, which I'm not familiar enough with to comment on.

Its clear none of you care about the colorways. Ill stop asking about it.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 12:52:37 »
*Snip*

Nice post, you tackled a lot of questions. You seemed to skip the one's about the colorway ripoffs - gonna assume you just don't give a **** about that aspect. bummer.

Its funny you gave so much **** about kbdfans offering a split space pcb and even asked people to boycott them for "stealing"
Let's see, 80s Kid, Laguna, Dreamweaver, Paperwork, Hive, Heart, and Midnite are all, to my knowledge, non-derivative colorways. That leaves Skidata, Royal, Nuke, Miami, and Joker. Everyone and their mother has made a Miami variant. Neither Matt3o nor thisiscamper have complained about Evan's variant on their colorways, and Royal, which coincidentally is the only one "identical" to it's inspiration, is based on an already derivative colorway. That just leaves Skidata, which I'm not familiar enough with to comment on.

skidata, royal, and nuke are all inspired by old keyboards/typewriters! Do a google search and you can find the old keebs and writers and see how they correlate.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 12:58:52 »
*Snip*

More

Let's see, 80s Kid, Laguna, Dreamweaver, Paperwork, Hive, Heart, and Midnite are all, to my knowledge, non-derivative colorways. That leaves Skidata, Royal, Nuke, Miami, and Joker. Everyone and their mother has made a Miami variant. Neither Matt3o nor thisiscamper have complained about Evan's variant on their colorways, and Royal, which coincidentally is the only one "identical" to it's inspiration, is based on an already derivative colorway. [/more]
That just leaves Skidata, which I'm not familiar enough with to comment on.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/SkiData so it's as derivative as Royal (Alpha).

As far Joker goes, that is being rerun, and aside from the base colors it is most notable for the original novelties which HuB does not even touch. Also, Filco is selling base SA sets with Joker Troubled Minds colorway, and other similar options. TaiHao is another big manufacturer who does not ask permission for its kits based on very popular community sets. Miami has reached critical mass, already mentioned, as best example of how some colorways evolve away from their original creators/runners, and become community standards, iconic and universally known.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:26:46 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:34:52 »
guess i'm the only one who cares. **** me right.

thats a shame.

Are you even pledging on the Kickstarter? Or are you only here to crap on this project? I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm curious. If not, then maybe use that negative energy and turn it into positive support on another project. I mean who owns colors anyway? Maybe Mother Nature should weigh in on this.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:35:34 »

thats a shame.

Are you even pledging on the Kickstarter? Or are you only here to crap on this project? I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm curious. If not, then maybe use that negative energy and turn it into positive support on another project. I mean who owns colors anyway? Maybe Mother Nature should weigh in on this.

why the hell would i support clone keysets.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:37:43 »

thats a shame.

Just proved my point. Thanks.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #306 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:40:25 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:41:04 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

Nobody said that. You just can't let it go?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #308 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:42:10 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

you asked me a question so i answered. i wont make you happy no matter what i say.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #309 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:46:17 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

you asked me a question so i answered. i wont make you happy no matter what i say.

Tell you what. I think I'll make a pledge to the Kickstarter on your behalf. Let's say...the $500 tier...so you can get all the keysets, a quality 40% board and support an awesome project. When you simmer down after everything gets made, I'll send it to you. What do you say?  ;)

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:48:31 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

Tell you what. I think I'll make a pledge to the Kickstarter on your behalf. Let's say...the $500 tier...so you can get all the keysets, a quality 40% board and support an awesome project. When you simmer down after everything gets made, I'll send it to you. What do you say?  ;)

No thank you

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:49:25 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

No thank you

Lol. The offer stands. Hope you reconsider.  :thumb:

Offline azachhh

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:19:13 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

No thank you

Dibs if they don't take you up on it!!!  :p :p

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:20:55 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

No thank you

I will not take him up on that, I will shut up, enjoy your caps.

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:29:32 »
Its clear none of you care about the colorways. Ill stop asking about it.
We do care. I think a reasonable thing to do is send Evan a pm and voice your concern on the matter. I find contacting people directly is a great way to discuss things. Then you can use all your charm and maybe make a positive change in something you see as negative in this project.

Who knows, maybe he's already contacted the makers, maybe he hasn't. At least it might add closure to your discord! GL

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:43:54 »
I just joined at the $300 tier to try and help prove that colors/colorways/keycap combos aren't owned by anyone. Jesus dude.

How about the beige keycaps sold on basically every stock board? Or, black keycaps? Better give credit to whoever thought of white on black!

IBM must be rolling in royalties from Honeywell.

In fact, from here on out, anytime someone makes a white keycap with gray lettering, I'm sending a screenshot to Apple's legal team. Doubly so if they use the same font.

I've already contacted Dell/Lenovo to inform them that the "white on black keycaps" on the respective company's keyboards are the same.

Don't you hate it when a brand of shirt 'steal' colors combos from a different brand? The red/black plaid flannel shirt that is being sold by no less than 400 stores any given fall?

Novelties would be considered in poor taste. Brands and logos would be protected. Other than that, go pound sand.

Keycap colorway "designers" aren't artists (sorry) - they picked some good color combos from a pantone wheel and asked a manufacturer to throw them into an already existing mold.

Novelties, yeah. Artisans, yep. Colors? Nope.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #316 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:47:23 »

thats a shame.

I know, im the bad guy.

No thank you

I'll let you know.  :p  :p  :p  :p

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:48:44 »
I just joined at the $300 tier to try and help prove that colors/colorways/keycap combos aren't owned by anyone. Jesus dude.

How about the beige keycaps sold on basically every stock board? Or, black keycaps? Better give credit to whoever thought of white on black!

IBM must be rolling in royalties from Honeywell.

In fact, from here on out, anytime someone makes a white keycap with gray lettering, I'm sending a screenshot to Apple's legal team. Doubly so if they use the same font.

I've already contacted Dell/Lenovo to inform them that the "white on black keycaps" on the respective company's keyboards are the same.

Don't you hate it when a brand of shirt 'steal' colors combos from a different brand? The red/black plaid flannel shirt that is being sold by no less than 400 stores any given fall?

Novelties would be considered in poor taste. Brands and logos would be protected. Other than that, go pound sand.

Keycap colorway "designers" aren't artists (sorry) - they picked some good color combos from a pantone wheel and asked a manufacturer to throw them into an already existing mold.

yall talk about community then **** on the people who actually made it.

Sorry i brought this up [*snip* Mod edit]
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 April 2018, 18:21:27 by Photoelectric »

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:53:25 »

Tyrion Lannister always dropping the deep thoughts! :thumb:

We can finally get back on track. Here is one I made playing with the editor tool using 4 different sets.

I name it "80's Wet Dreams". See, we are all 'designers' now!

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:55:03 »

yall talk about community then **** on the people who actually made it.

Sorry i brought this up [*snip* Mod edit]
Sounds like time to get this guy banned from here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 April 2018, 18:21:48 by Photoelectric »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #320 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:59:18 »
Clasicks has a very valid point that you are all missing. When they advertise things like "The Pulse of Hub" and similar colorways, its piggy backing of the established work of members within the community. It's not just "you stole a colorway".

The designers and GB runners, like Mito for example, at least deserve to be notified, that's all clasicks is trying to say. When someone dumps time and money into making a colorway successful via promotion, marketing, giveaways and GB's, it might be a bit hurtful to see others just jump on board with the same color without showing them respect first. Yall need to cheel and take it up with Evan

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #321 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:03:27 »

Tyrion Lannister always dropping the deep thoughts! :thumb:

We can finally get back on track. Here is one I made playing with the editor tool using 4 different sets.

Show Image

Show Image

I'd still like to see a "random" button. Might take some heat off the, how should I say, "inspiration?", of established colourways.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:08:07 »
I think if Evans team sent designers a simple pm saying, "I'm using your pantones for a hub set, thanks for understanding", it would make us all happier! xD

If they are upset, oh well. Evan is making his own keycaps literally. That's the beauty of it

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #323 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:08:19 »
Clasicks has a very valid point that you are all missing. When they advertise things like "The Pulse of Hub" and similar colorways, its piggy backing of the established work of members within the community. It's not just "you stole a colorway".

The designers and GB runners, like Mito for example, at least deserve to be notified, that's all clasicks is trying to say. When someone dumps time and money into making a colorway successful via promotion, marketing, giveaways and GB's, it might be a bit hurtful to see others just jump on board with the same color without showing them respect first. Yall need to cheel and take it up with Evan

that pulse of hub post was unfortunate. That was not posted by anyone from TheVan Keyboards. Someone in a slack requested the render and steven delivered and then it was promptly posted to reddit.

I'd like to also mention that is not a flagship colorway we are offering just the product of mixing and matching of our other sets.

Big props to Mito and all the work he has done and I wish his group buys the best of luck.  I mean I've gotten in on many of his buys, most recent would be godspeed and laser.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #324 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:09:45 »
it would appear as tho this convo took a left turn and got out of hand...i don't think it is that n e one is a bad guy...for being of the opinion that colorways are sacred or inspiring

what is the issue is appropriate etiquette in forums vary...and not joining a gb and replying to the thread is well outside the line...i would go a step further and point out that interest by definition would imply a positive nature...and feel community sentiment towards other members should be uplifting...in any forum...negative and 'non' interested replies are harmful to the com and anything but encouraging

as far as all of that goes...a clear line has been drawn in the sand on this color way nazism...and i can't help but shake my head at it...being hateful about n e thing and not wanting the community to grow or evolve is not productive

these sets could be a one to one identical clone...and if you don't like you miss the point of the project...has less to do with cw than would like to be made to appear

one love gh fam
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:13:42 by jimirolln »

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #325 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:15:34 »
Greetings all!

There have been a lot of questions about the HuB keycap project in the past few days. I would like to clear those all up in a single update as much as I possibly can.

What is the goal of this project?

The first goal of this project is to bring a new keycap profile to life. Initially, I wasn’t satisfied with what existed and began exploring what would be an evolution of current favorites. The result of that is the HuB profile. After spending a considerable amount of time and money prototyping, testing, and designing, we want to make them a reality.

Alongside the melding of design was the goal to make them affordable and readily available. To do this, we spent a ton of time at trade shows, meetings, and more meetings. The current platform has limited availability and leads to long queues and production time for us as a community. By tooling up with our manufacturing partner - (OEM Manufacturing), we can achieve what we have set out to do.

How can you make the keycaps so cheap?

Our approach is to change the way we do our molding. Rather than producing a single key at a time, we will be producing sections of the set at once and packaging them as they come out of the mold. By doing this we don’t have to sort the keycaps in the end, saving both time and money, and avoiding human mistakes. It does restrict us initially somewhat on how we can color a keycap set, but we have taken careful consideration on which keys to group together to give us flexibility while still keeping costs low. In the future we plan and expect to expand the groupings to be more flexible in allowing for even more creative color schemes.

How much will sets cost after the kickstarter?

The sets will sell for the same price. $50 for a single set, with the price reduced as quantity rises. We hope to host many group buys that will have a much lower barrier to entry that what is currently available. A larger focus on the creative aspect of a set, and less focus on worrying about production and shipping is the goal.

Are new legends and novelties a possibility?

Definitely - expansion and modification is exactly what we plan on. We would love everyone to start thinking with more freedom. Our manufacturing partner is extremely proficient, and we can request and address costs as they come to fruition.

Where is the money going from the kickstarter?
The tooling cost has been quoted between 320k-360k. The low end will allow us to meet every objective of this kickstarter. The higher option allows us to produce the keycaps cheaper. We also need to cover production of the initial run of caps (80-100k). That leaves about 120k for us to cover the rest. Kickstarter takes a cut of (50k), packaging manufacture and storage (5k), keycap storage (4K), MiniVans (kickstarter rewards) (50k), labor for end packaging/processing/shipping (4.3k) and around 10-20k for any emergencies that may arise. Many of the above quotes are for low quantity orders so we will likely save some there.

Stretch goals are completely up to everyone supporting the project, so we need your vote in making those decisions.

Are we (the community) just funding you to become a keycap manufacturer and make money?

That is one way to look at it. With your help we will be setting ourselves up to produce high quality keycaps for a great price. We believe that having a more accessible option, with a ton of potential to grow would be great for the community, and hope that we aren’t alone in that.

We would also like to thank everyone for the feedback, as we wouldn’t have the offering as it is without everybodies help. Thank you to everyone supporting already, it means a ton to us. We really hope that this project can succeed and it will only happen with your help.

Sincerely,

Evan
TheVan Keyboards
[/spoiler]

so based on your new production approach of producing keys in "sets", what if one key out of the "set" doesnt meet QC.  Do you have to remake the entire set? 

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:19:13 »
I know its unnecessary to add, but when I designed a 40%, even though I was competing with Evans Minivan, he wished me goodluck on my reddit post and such. Evan respects and loves the community and everyone in it, which is what we all want in a vendor. The same cannot be said for someone like say jchan. Id freak at the thought of him running HUB lol. Lets wish the project well and hope for the best! Ill pledge tonight, thanks for the work and for addressing all these troubling questions Evan!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #327 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:20:02 »
Greetings all!

There have been a lot of questions about the HuB keycap project in the past few days. I would like to clear those all up in a single update as much as I possibly can.

What is the goal of this project?

The first goal of this project is to bring a new keycap profile to life. Initially, I wasn’t satisfied with what existed and began exploring what would be an evolution of current favorites. The result of that is the HuB profile. After spending a considerable amount of time and money prototyping, testing, and designing, we want to make them a reality.

Alongside the melding of design was the goal to make them affordable and readily available. To do this, we spent a ton of time at trade shows, meetings, and more meetings. The current platform has limited availability and leads to long queues and production time for us as a community. By tooling up with our manufacturing partner - (OEM Manufacturing), we can achieve what we have set out to do.

How can you make the keycaps so cheap?

Our approach is to change the way we do our molding. Rather than producing a single key at a time, we will be producing sections of the set at once and packaging them as they come out of the mold. By doing this we don’t have to sort the keycaps in the end, saving both time and money, and avoiding human mistakes. It does restrict us initially somewhat on how we can color a keycap set, but we have taken careful consideration on which keys to group together to give us flexibility while still keeping costs low. In the future we plan and expect to expand the groupings to be more flexible in allowing for even more creative color schemes.

How much will sets cost after the kickstarter?

The sets will sell for the same price. $50 for a single set, with the price reduced as quantity rises. We hope to host many group buys that will have a much lower barrier to entry that what is currently available. A larger focus on the creative aspect of a set, and less focus on worrying about production and shipping is the goal.

Are new legends and novelties a possibility?

Definitely - expansion and modification is exactly what we plan on. We would love everyone to start thinking with more freedom. Our manufacturing partner is extremely proficient, and we can request and address costs as they come to fruition.

Where is the money going from the kickstarter?
The tooling cost has been quoted between 320k-360k. The low end will allow us to meet every objective of this kickstarter. The higher option allows us to produce the keycaps cheaper. We also need to cover production of the initial run of caps (80-100k). That leaves about 120k for us to cover the rest. Kickstarter takes a cut of (50k), packaging manufacture and storage (5k), keycap storage (4K), MiniVans (kickstarter rewards) (50k), labor for end packaging/processing/shipping (4.3k) and around 10-20k for any emergencies that may arise. Many of the above quotes are for low quantity orders so we will likely save some there.

Stretch goals are completely up to everyone supporting the project, so we need your vote in making those decisions.

Are we (the community) just funding you to become a keycap manufacturer and make money?

That is one way to look at it. With your help we will be setting ourselves up to produce high quality keycaps for a great price. We believe that having a more accessible option, with a ton of potential to grow would be great for the community, and hope that we aren’t alone in that.

We would also like to thank everyone for the feedback, as we wouldn’t have the offering as it is without everybodies help. Thank you to everyone supporting already, it means a ton to us. We really hope that this project can succeed and it will only happen with your help.

Sincerely,

Evan
TheVan Keyboards
[/spoiler]

so based on your new production approach of producing keys in "sets", what if one key out of the "set" doesnt meet QC.  Do you have to remake the entire set?

That's not really going to be an issue. Everything is automated in our molding process and machines are very good at not messing up.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #328 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:27:23 »
it would appear as tho this convo took a left turn and got out of hand...i don't think it is that n e one is a bad guy...for being of the opinion that colorways are sacred or inspiring

what is the issue is appropriate etiquette in forums vary...and not joining a gb and replying to the thread is well outside the line...i would go a step further and point out that interest by definition would imply a positive nature...and feel community sentiment towards other members should be uplifting...in any forum...negative and 'non' interested replies are harmful to the com and anything but encouraging

as far as all of that goes...a clear line has been drawn in the sand on this color way nazism...and i can't help but shake my head at it...being hateful about n e thing and not wanting the community to grow or evolve is not productive

these sets could be a one to one identical clone...and if you don't like you miss the point of the project...has less to do with cw than would like to be made to appear

one love gh fam

love me some jimi-ism
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline dsaf

« Reply #329 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:31:34 »
Eric - Totally agree with you (I use FN there instead of ctrl).
We can sit down about it, I think its a valid option to have as CAPS is outdated, and this is all about moving forward. Will update! Possible poll for the backers? Let us know.

Just wanted to check - there will still be every standard TKL (+ISO) key including the Caps Lock, right?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:32:42 »
Eric - Totally agree with you (I use FN there instead of ctrl).
We can sit down about it, I think its a valid option to have as CAPS is outdated, and this is all about moving forward. Will update! Possible poll for the backers? Let us know.

Just wanted to check - there will still be every standard TKL (+ISO) key including the Caps Lock, right?

that is correct.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:33:28 »
I know its unnecessary to add, but when I designed a 40%, even though I was competing with Evans Minivan, he wished me goodluck on my reddit post and such. Evan respects and loves the community and everyone in it, which is what we all want in a vendor. The same cannot be said for someone like say jchan. Id freak at the thought of him running HUB lol. Lets wish the project well and hope for the best! Ill pledge tonight, thanks for the work and for addressing all these troubling questions Evan!

Evan has only good things to say about the Pearl during our random convo's about keyboards. We both really love the aesthetic of it only wish the best for you.  Thank you for showing your support :). I might have to grab a Pearl in the future!

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #332 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:51:52 »

Koob...does PuLSE really need promotion? It's like a sentient being that sells itself. :p I love ya Koob!!  ;D 40's for life!!

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #333 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 16:01:56 »
Koob...does PuLSE really need promotion? It's like a sentient being that sells itself. :p I love ya Koob!!  ;D 40's for life!!

Exactly. Is not like suddenly GMK and SP will go out of business and the sets loose their value.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #334 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 16:39:27 »
Lmao Mike!! Love you bro. And they wont lose value or anything. It might just a matter of reaching out to the people currently using those colorways and letting them know you will be using them too or something. Before using bootmapper client on my Pearls I sent winkeyless an email saying I was gonna do it. They never responded but if someone ever accuses me I have that email lmao

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #335 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 16:43:11 »
More
Here is one I made playing with the editor tool using 4 different sets.
Show Image

So the color police informed me I accidentally landed into an established colorset from another designer and I need to try harder. I am still a noob here. But hey, this is like music, all the notes have already been used.  :'(

Here is my next attempt mixing 3 color sets. I name this one "HuB Guayaba"

Here is my inspiration:

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 17:08:41 »
The point that a few others of the vehement supporters of the project in here seem to be missing is that this is 100% not a group-buy for just keycaps. That is why people are bringing up the angle of investment, but I'm not sure why people haven't been direct about it.

This Kickstarter is to fund buying tooling, manufacturing space, and other unknown costs (because of the lack of transparency). Not renting or borrowing, purchasing. In a normal keycap group-buy, the organizer is left with (sometimes) some payment for their effort, and the participants take home the products they all bought together. In this Kickstarter, participants are buying keycaps at some unknown markup, and also purchasing the means for this organization to continue producing keycaps afterwards. You're essentially giving out a free business loan, or so it would seem, which is why people are rightly skeptical.

This is actually how many kickstarters operate.  It's an alternative path of funding to do things that people do with traditional sources.  I do a lot of projects- many of them woodworking or metal working.  In many cases, the money is used to upgrade their equipment (CNCs, etc) in order to create the rewards.  The same thing is going on here.  I can point you to the projects where that is clearly stated (just as clearly as Evan has stated) if you wish.  That's really not a consideration, IMO.  You're paying money for keycaps sets.  Those sets require tooling, but you are not directly paying for that; it's an investment of the capital provided by the sales.

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #337 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 17:50:12 »
It seems weird that crowdfunding / Kickstarter is foreign to people in this community, of all places.

Kickstarter is known for being a place where products thrive but also where creators have gone broke, had issues happen, gone belly-up, and more.

No, you're not an investor. No, you're not entitled to anything beyond what the creater of the kickstarter has placed in the project.

Just like anything else, you vote with your wallet on the project/product. What's strange to me is how entitled some people have acted regarding this particular project. "Before I contribute $100, I want to know a detailed breakdown of your plastic molding costs to make sure you aren't paying yourself with my money!!!!!!"

Huh?

It's a strange mindset. A kickstarter is similar, but not the same, as a group buy. If a group buy is ran, do you ask where each dollar goes? Do you ask why GMK Olivia is $160 (or whatever) and demand a detailed breakdown of the costs? Whos to say it's not $100 cost (for this particular set, for whatever reason), and the runner is pocketing $60 per set? And if they were, would you care?

At the end of the day, you are paying a price for a product. It's an exchange of goods and/or services. You put money down, you expect a product in return. Same as a GB.

You don't think it's worth it? You don't buy it. You think a Mercedes isn't worth it, you don't buy it. Someone else does, so they do. Value isn't always intrinsic.

I feel like people see $500k and their eyes bug out. "Whoa, half a million? This guy must be getting rich off this! Hey, that's not fair! Give me a breakdown of your costs because I don't want you to run away with half a million!!!!!!"

Let's take a keycap group buy, with an (admittedly high) MOQ. A MOQ of 500 keycaps, with payment at $160 each, means $80,000. If each keycap group buy had a slider slowly inching towards $80,000, I bet more people would be freaking out about it, wanting more details, a breakdown, etc. It's a weird psychological thing.

Point is, chill out people. Vote with your wallet. You want the caps? You want a chance for keycaps to ACTUALLY be a reasonable cost again? You want a new profile to succeed? You want some innovation instead of GMK churning the same crap out over and over with different pantone swabs? This is your chance.

Or, if you're nervous, wait. Wait and see what happens. Wait and hope that it hits the goal and that you can buy "traditionally" from Evan's storefront in a year. The core concept of a kickstarter is to help inventors get their ideas to reality without relying on traditional loans. So, don't be dense and say "get a loan" or "why should I support this?"

Like, come on. You can't possibly be this dense. Or maybe you can, idk. I'm surprised how some people get dressed in the mornings, so who knows.

It's all so weird.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 18:04:39 »
^ Are we sure this guy isn't really Tyrion Lannister?  Wish we could upvote here on certain occasions.  This is one.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #339 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 18:15:04 »
It seems weird that crowdfunding / Kickstarter is foreign to people in this community, of all places.

Kickstarter is known for being a place where products thrive but also where creators have gone broke, had issues happen, gone belly-up, and more.

No, you're not an investor. No, you're not entitled to anything beyond what the creater of the kickstarter has placed in the project.

Just like anything else, you vote with your wallet on the project/product. What's strange to me is how entitled some people have acted regarding this particular project. "Before I contribute $100, I want to know a detailed breakdown of your plastic molding costs to make sure you aren't paying yourself with my money!!!!!!"

Huh?

It's a strange mindset. A kickstarter is similar, but not the same, as a group buy. If a group buy is ran, do you ask where each dollar goes? Do you ask why GMK Olivia is $160 (or whatever) and demand a detailed breakdown of the costs? Whos to say it's not $100 cost (for this particular set, for whatever reason), and the runner is pocketing $60 per set? And if they were, would you care?

At the end of the day, you are paying a price for a product. It's an exchange of goods and/or services. You put money down, you expect a product in return. Same as a GB.

You don't think it's worth it? You don't buy it. You think a Mercedes isn't worth it, you don't buy it. Someone else does, so they do. Value isn't always intrinsic.

I feel like people see $500k and their eyes bug out. "Whoa, half a million? This guy must be getting rich off this! Hey, that's not fair! Give me a breakdown of your costs because I don't want you to run away with half a million!!!!!!"

Let's take a keycap group buy, with an (admittedly high) MOQ. A MOQ of 500 keycaps, with payment at $160 each, means $80,000. If each keycap group buy had a slider slowly inching towards $80,000, I bet more people would be freaking out about it, wanting more details, a breakdown, etc. It's a weird psychological thing.

Point is, chill out people. Vote with your wallet. You want the caps? You want a chance for keycaps to ACTUALLY be a reasonable cost again? You want a new profile to succeed? You want some innovation instead of GMK churning the same crap out over and over with different pantone swabs? This is your chance.

Or, if you're nervous, wait. Wait and see what happens. Wait and hope that it hits the goal and that you can buy "traditionally" from Evan's storefront in a year. The core concept of a kickstarter is to help inventors get their ideas to reality without relying on traditional loans. So, don't be dense and say "get a loan" or "why should I support this?"

Like, come on. You can't possibly be this dense. Or maybe you can, idk. I'm surprised how some people get dressed in the mornings, so who knows.

It's all so weird.

where is the gold button here? 

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 18:22:49 »
More
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 18:29:01 by TyrionLannister »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #341 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 18:24:17 »
Kickstarter is funded by the users and of course, the project doesn't have to disclose where the money is going, but it would probably be in their interest. By not disclosing something that's requested they lose potential customers/backers.

If I were to take 1000$ for a keyset, many members would probably ask for me to disclose where the money is going.

However evangs has left an estimate, and personally I think it looks fair.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #342 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 18:54:28 »

Huh?

It's all so weird.
Best  answer I've seen in this thread so far.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #343 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 21:13:19 »

Huh?

It's all so weird.

There are two things you are completely choosing to ignore. The first is that on the kickstarter, it is NOT clear that the buy is all about funding equipment used to generate profit later (i legitimately am curious if there is a cheaper way to do this using an established manufacturer like pretty much any other kickstarter would do). The second is the increased liability involved because of it. Since this is not a GB and not using an established keycap vendor, there is NO guarantee at all, that ANY of these keycaps are ever produced. It's not as if kickstarters have some amazing track record where nothing missed fulfillment. Kickstarters fail ALL THE TIME.

If Evan sets up and finds out it actually costs $800k to produce the sets as described, the entire kickstarter could simply fail, every purchaser gets nothing and evan gets a nice new injection molding machine. I AM NOT saying this is likely only that it is possible and while you might think that warrants extra discussion, I certainly do. That said, based on the numbers Evan listed, I am a bit concerned that 500k isn't actually enough. I'm curious what sort of plan there is in place for THAT scenario?

I also personally think it's at least worth considering, is this the BEST profile/vendor to try this with? Evan does a good job and his boards seem nice enough, but you can't really argue that the minivan represents one of the tiniest of niche's in the community.

The things I'd like to know are what are Evan's plans for letting OTHER PEOPLE run sets:
  • Will it just be a submit design and evan sells it type thing?
  • Will people be running GB like SP/GMK?
  • Will anyone be able to run sets?
  • If so will people have to worry about being blacklisted from running sets for ANY other reason aside from non-payment?
  • You mention that the molds do keys in sets, what if we want to run DIFFERENT sets?
  • What are the sets being used? (what keys are grouped together)
  • What is a standard kit?
  • Is the tooling being built with a focus first on minivans and then everything else? Or is TKL/60% still a first class citizen?
  • What is the target cost for a retail set?

Also, PLEASE stop telling people who disagree with you to chill out. No one is upset, and I don't really see anyone complaining that there should be no new profiles or lower prices. People are asking legitimate questions. I understand you want this project to succeed, but I'm not really sure what you are advocating for.

You do understand that many people are asking questions BECAUSE they are considering buying but are not comfortable with the current amount of information. You might not agree with that, but what do you propose they do if there is no more information provided? Do you want all those people to simply not support because asking questions is just too annoying? Is that REALLY what's best for the KS? Do you want those people to do something they are not comfortable with and support the buy just to appease you? Why do you get to decide when questions are and are not reasonable?

The simplest way I can see explaining this, with any normal GB you are spending money to buy keycaps, so a runner takes your money and uses it to directly purchase said keycaps, then you just wait for them to fulfill the order. With this you are spending money so that Evan can start a business, get the equipment to TRY and make keycaps, get space to store/use the equipment, get raw materials, do calibration/testing/validation, hire employees, train employees, etc. Yes, in a good outcome, the result SHOULD be the same, but there are no guarantees of that, and there are SUBSTANTIALLY more places where **** can go wrong. You shouldn't ignore this just cause the prices are good, they are good for a reason.

A good article to read: https://www.fastcompany.com/3004024/why-your-kickstarter-project-late & https://medium.com/three-pipe-vc/how-a-half-million-dollar-kickstarter-project-can-crash-and-burn-5482d7d33ee1

Dragon Innovation’s Miller says he often gets panicked calls from Kickstarter project creators who can’t feasibly complete their projects. Their creators did not understand the manufacturing costs when they set their goal. Their timeline is unreasonable, or their design isn’t actually manufacturable.

“They’ve also spent the money, and Amazon and Kickstarter have taken their cut,” Miller says. “They can’t even give back the money. It’s kind of a really unfortunate position to be in.”

Also, while you might not like people asking questions about the investment simply because there is no equity involved, but you are essentially saying "use it like a store", but Kickstarter makes it very clear THEY ARE NOT A STORE: https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

As far as I'm concerned the risks section of the Hub Kickstarter is a joke "we have experience and stuff" is not a realistic depiction of the risks involved here. Delays, low quality product, non-delivery, etc are all possibilities. I'd much prefer a more realistic response there with details on how much money is being set aside for issues, and timelines and such.

Oh and you mention KS where people bought their own machining equipment, could you please provide links to some of those? I am aware of MANY that have purchased tooling for injection molds, but none that I am aware of have actually invested in their own injection molding machines.

Regardless, Evan's update goes a long way to appeasing some of my concerns, though I do hope he continues to follow up and address the others. I am still not sold on hub and am waiting to see how it's doing in around a month from now, but I may still get a few sets just for kicks even if I don't think I'd ever use them.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #344 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 21:36:23 »

Huh?

It's all so weird.

There are two things you are completely choosing to ignore. The first is that on the kickstarter, it is NOT clear that the buy is all about funding equipment used to generate profit later (i legitimately am curious if there is a cheaper way to do this using an established manufacturer like pretty much any other kickstarter would do). The second is the increased liability involved because of it. Since this is not a GB and not using an established keycap vendor, there is NO guarantee at all, that ANY of these keycaps are ever produced. It's not as if kickstarters have some amazing track record where nothing missed fulfillment. Kickstarters fail ALL THE TIME.

If Evan sets up and finds out it actually costs $800k to produce the sets as described, the entire kickstarter could simply fail, every purchaser gets nothing and evan gets a nice new injection molding machine. I AM NOT saying this is likely only that it is possible and while you might think that warrants extra discussion, I certainly do. That said, based on the numbers Evan listed, I am a bit concerned that 500k isn't actually enough. I'm curious what sort of plan there is in place for THAT scenario?

I also personally think it's at least worth considering, is this the BEST profile/vendor to try this with? Evan does a good job and his boards seem nice enough, but you can't really argue that the minivan represents one of the tiniest of niche's in the community.

The things I'd like to know are what are Evan's plans for letting OTHER PEOPLE run sets:
  • If so will people have to worry about being blacklisted from running sets for ANY other reason aside from non-payment?
  • You mention that the molds do keys in sets, what if we want to run DIFFERENT sets?
  • Is the tooling being built with a focus first on minivans and then everything else? Or is TKL/60% still a first class citizen?

Also, PLEASE stop telling people who disagree with you to chill out. No one is upset, and I don't really see anyone complaining that there should be no new profiles or lower prices. People are asking legitimate questions. I understand you want this project to succeed, but I'm not really sure what you are advocating for.

You do understand that many people are asking questions BECAUSE they are considering buying but are not comfortable with the current amount of information. You might not agree with that, but what do you propose they do if there is no more information provided? Do you want all those people to simply not support because asking questions is just too annoying? Is that REALLY what's best for the KS? Do you want those people to do something they are not comfortable with and support the buy just to appease you? Why do you get to decide when questions are and are not reasonable?

The simplest way I can see explaining this, with any normal GB you are spending money to buy keycaps, so a runner takes your money and uses it to directly purchase said keycaps, then you just wait for them to fulfill the order. With this you are spending money so that Evan can start a business, get the equipment to TRY and make keycaps, get space to store/use the equipment, get raw materials, do calibration/testing/validation, hire employees, train employees, etc. Yes, in a good outcome, the result SHOULD be the same, but there are no guarantees of that, and there are SUBSTANTIALLY more places where **** can go wrong. You shouldn't ignore this just cause the prices are good, they are good for a reason.

A good article to read: https://www.fastcompany.com/3004024/why-your-kickstarter-project-late & https://medium.com/three-pipe-vc/how-a-half-million-dollar-kickstarter-project-can-crash-and-burn-5482d7d33ee1

Dragon Innovation’s Miller says he often gets panicked calls from Kickstarter project creators who can’t feasibly complete their projects. Their creators did not understand the manufacturing costs when they set their goal. Their timeline is unreasonable, or their design isn’t actually manufacturable.

“They’ve also spent the money, and Amazon and Kickstarter have taken their cut,” Miller says. “They can’t even give back the money. It’s kind of a really unfortunate position to be in.”

Also, while you might not like people asking questions about the investment simply because there is no equity involved, but you are essentially saying "use it like a store", but Kickstarter makes it very clear THEY ARE NOT A STORE: https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

As far as I'm concerned the risks section of the Hub Kickstarter is a joke "we have experience and stuff" is not a realistic depiction of the risks involved here. Delays, low quality product, non-delivery, etc are all possibilities. I'd much prefer a more realistic response there with details on how much money is being set aside for issues, and timelines and such.

Oh and you mention KS where people bought their own machining equipment, could you please provide links to some of those? I am aware of MANY that have purchased tooling for injection molds, but none that I am aware of have actually invested in their own injection molding machines.

Regardless, Evan's update goes a long way to appeasing some of my concerns, though I do hope he continues to follow up and address the others. I am still not sold on hub and am waiting to see how it's doing in around a month from now, but I may still get a few sets just for kicks even if I don't think I'd ever use them.

So if I was producing tooling to use with SP or GMK then you would have no issues?

I’d like to point out that a lot of the kickstarters that fail don’t have any manufacturing experience prior. They don’t have any factories lined up, they haven’t worked through the manufacturability of their product etc.

I have done all of those things.  I’ve got a factory that I’m working with, we’ve discussed the project at length and how to manufacture it and I’ve manufactured products for a couple of years now. Yes this will be my largest project to date but I’m not some noob with a dream and no idea how to achieve it.

I answer question after question, I give out all sorts of info and it’s never enough. You always want more.

You are upset that I will be setting up to run this as a business. If the money was going to SP who doesn’t care about the community you would be on board, but because a community member wants to enter the game you’re opposed? How does that even make sense?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 21:37:54 by evangs »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #345 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 21:40:06 »

Not for molds, but here are a few that were run for capital investment, in return for product.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/520589318/ti-slice-titanium-edc-knife
The only way to bring the cost down is to manufacture parts in large batches, and we hope your support on Kickstarter will enable us to ramp up for our first production run.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/690647277/stick-magnets-by-strong-like-bull-magnets
While I've done several Kickstarter projects, I don't Kickstart everything I do.  Initially, I thought I would just add stick magnets to the Strong Like Bull line-up (SLBmagnets.com) by starting with a few manually machined parts to see what the interest would be.  But, I decided to Kickstart it in an attempt to get enough volume to help fund the purchase of an impact press machine.  The stamp press would provide a more consistent stamp impression... I typically have a good amount of variation with this stamping by hand with a hammer.  Plus, it gets pretty tiring with a hammer;)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zucati/zucati-spectrumtm-board-game-and-rpg-dice
We're the first company to produce or even prototype double anodized dice and we're very excited about it.

We need your help. These dice precision aluminum dice are something that we cannot produce without your help.

We need funds to support us and our ongoing research into the processes necessary to make these dice.

Those are just a few from among those that I have or am currently backing.  There are several others out there, but I think I've made my point.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #346 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 21:54:58 »
You want some innovation instead of GMK churning the same crap out over and over with different pantone swabs? This is your chance.

I understand the idea you're attempting to convey and I sympathise with the sentiment, however I'm not sure this is the best way to go about convincing or converting anyone. :))

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #347 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 22:02:53 »
some of the old stuf....

Repeating the same stuff over and over. We already established that kickstarters can fail and that the risk is minimized here. Other reputable vendors have validated the amounts needed.

We are all clear these will be The Van's tooling machines and they will do with them as they please. Their reputation also gives indication that the community will continue to benefit as a whole.

It will be stupid of them to continue giving details of how they are achieving the prices and manufacturing to then have some company in china to copy it. It is in their best interest to leave it at that.

Those are silly questions. Why would Evan have to guarantee us that he will run any set that comes his way. Just like GMK and SP he will work with whoever he pleases on his terms.

Evan already addressed what he is willing to. You come as an interested backer yet with very unreasonable requests. If that is not enough for you please step aside. This is not the project for you to back.

You clarified you are not interested if the details you ask are not provided. They will not be provided therefore that removes your interest in backing and the continued poking is in violation of the rules of this site:
2) Threadcrapping: If you aren't interested in joining a group buy, STAY OUT OF THE GROUP BUY THREAD. This goes doubly so if you disagree with the way the buy is being run, the product being purchased, or have any other complaint not relevant to buying into the group buy. Repeat offenders put themselves in danger of moderator action.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 23:18:44 by PRkeys »

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 23:17:28 »
some of the old stuf....

Repeating the same stuff over and over. We already established that kickstarters can fail and that the risk is minimized here. Other reputable vendors have validated the amounts needed.

We are all clear these will be The Van's tooling machines and they will do with them as they please. Their reputation also gives indication that the community will continue to benefit as a whole.

It will be stupid of them to continue giving details of how they are achieving the prices and manufacturing to then have some company in china to copy it. It is in their best interest to leave it at that.

Those are silly questions. Why would Evan have to guarantee us that he will run any set that comes his way. Just like GMK and SP he will work with whoever he pleases on his terms.

Evan already addressed what he is willing to. You come as an interested backer yet with very unreasonable requests. If that is not enough for you please step aside. This is not the project for you to back.

You clarified you are not interested unless the details you ask are not provided. They will not be provided therefore that removes your interest in backing and the continued poking is in violation of the rules of this site:
2) Threadcrapping: If you aren't interested in joining a group buy, STAY OUT OF THE GROUP BUY THREAD. This goes doubly so if you disagree with the way the buy is being run, the product being purchased, or have any other complaint not relevant to buying into the group buy. Repeat offenders put themselves in danger of moderator action.

Did you even read my post?

The last sentence was literally:

You guys are so quick to defend **** you ignore that I'm not attacking. I'm asking questions that deserve to be asked, if Evan wants to ignore those questions that is totally his prerogative. I never once said him not answering my questions would stop me from buying, I said I'll wait and see how the buy is looking. Why should the expectation be "shut up and take my money" or say nothing? This is a discussion forum, the word discussion isn't there by accident. Asking questions, especially completely legitimate ones is NOT threadcrapping.

So if I was producing tooling to use with SP or GMK then you would have no issues?

If you were asking 500k for GMK/SP I would have different issues, but I would also have less of them, because GMK and SP have lots of experience with injection molding abs keycaps, and you don't. There are way less unknowns involved with such a buy AND if GMK/SP said they could accomplish your task for x money, I'm fairly confident, even if their estimate was off and they had to spend more they actually have the budget to do that and the risk would lie with them, not us.

I’d like to point out that a lot of the kickstarters that fail don’t have any manufacturing experience prior. They don’t have any factories lined up, they haven’t worked through the manufacturability of their product etc.

And I'd like to point out none of the manufacturing you have done is really relevant to injection molding plastic.

I have done all of those things.  I’ve got a factory that I’m working with, we’ve discussed the project at length and how to manufacture it and I’ve manufactured products for a couple of years now. Yes this will be my largest project to date but I’m not some noob with a dream and no idea how to achieve it.

And in all those years of experience EVERYTHING has gone right? Never an issue? Never something didn't go exactly as planned? Never had costs bloom or projects fail? Cause that's certainly not my experience in the world in general.

I answer question after question, I give out all sorts of info and it’s never enough. You always want more.

No, you refused to answer questions for a week or two, got tired of it and posted 1 response that doesn't address my primary concerns (which is you say you are doing this for the community, what are your plans for allowing the community to use them) and then attack anyone for daring to ask more questions because who the heck are they? There was a bulleted list of questions in my previous post:

I'd very much appreciate an answer to these questions, and I'm not really sure how you can argue that they are not relevant or that you have answered them all. To be honest, you being evasive and complaining about how difficult it is for you to deal with all the questions is part of my problem. What is the benefit of complaining about people asking questions rather than simply answering them? No one asked you to run this and no one is forcing you to take peoples money, you made that choice. Should I expect the same level of customer service if I wanted to run a gb through you for a set of hub caps? Why should anyone just assume they know what you are planning? Have you ever considered people keep asking questions because you are withholding information?

You are upset that I will be setting up to run this as a business. If the money was going to SP who doesn’t care about the community you would be on board, but because a community member wants to enter the game you’re opposed? How does that even make sense?

I'm not upset at all, and certainly not about you running a business, I am concerned that you are being misleading and not upfront about what you are doing. I have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL with what you are trying to do. I just think you should be more upfront and clear with what that is. There is nothing in your kickstarter or anything else you posted until your open letter that would indicate your plan was to buy injection molding machines. The fact that you are being evasive makes me far more concerned than whatever your answers actually are. If anything my other concern is you are still underestimating what it will actually cost to deliver.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 23:29:59 »
2zq came up with this cool little colorway. I think it's become one of my favorites. Blood orange? :D

With a minivan render

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 23:32:00 by Arhipio »