Author Topic: Post your Ergodox!  (Read 167287 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Post your Ergodox!
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 14:38:26 »
Sorry for you name Glod* ;)
This thing about reverse top layers is very good idea !
What will be your to version of the top layers ? I'm considering CF on face one and black mate on face 2.

About MX Clear switches, I saw some videos on youtube on how to open MX switch and it looks simple to replace all of the springs. But first I need to try stock MX Clear switches. Maybe I can make a mix with stock string and weaker ones. Do you know which lub may I need to use ? Also I saw that the stock screws which come with the ergodox looks like being very painful. Have you changed yours ?

I'll post pictures of my ergodox once I'll get it fully assembled and functionally.

Krytox is generally the preferred lube and Superlube is a decent second.  I believe it's limmy who has some Krytox for sale in the classifieds.  You'll also want Victorinox oil or another heavy oil like that for the springs.

Offline JulianFR

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 10:33:35 »
Krytox is generally the preferred lube and Superlube is a decent second.  I believe it's limmy who has some Krytox for sale in the classifieds.  You'll also want Victorinox oil or another heavy oil like that for the springs.

Thank you for the answer, I bought some Krytox oil to Limmy (14g of GPL103 / 5g of GPL201) and Victorinox multi-tool oil for springs. I need to buy springs now, but I don't know which one should I take: 62g or 65g springs ?
ErgoDox - Blank DSA caps - MX Clear sw (ergo-clear soon) - krytox/victorinox lub

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:54:29 »
I prefer 65g springs for Ergo Clears.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 23:31:32 »
I prefer 65g springs for Ergo Clears.

Same

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 00:24:42 »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 12:52:46 »
show off! damn that looks so much better than clear. I think it looks way better than the aluminium too. I personally would like that with a darker matte color (no fingerprints!) but i approve of this

i noticed, unsurprisingly, you are rocking the deep dish :)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 20:19:10 »
show off! damn that looks so much better than clear. I think it looks way better than the aluminium too. I personally would like that with a darker matte color (no fingerprints!) but i approve of this

i noticed, unsurprisingly, you are rocking the deep dish :)

Thanks!
Upgraded the nuts on it to cap nuts today as not to damage tables. Might plastidip the nuts black, depending on how the test nuts do.
Still need a tenting system too, might pick up one of the kinesis ones.

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:29:53 by CommunistWitchDr »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:08:19 »
tenting is highly suggested you just have to be creative though when you mod it to tent, the Kenesis V3 lifters are nice, you have 2 options with them, do some mod so that it looks like it is supposed to be there or just slap some dual lock hard velcro on the V3 and the ergodox and call it a day. of course im sure there is other creative way to achieve the tenting.

the cap nuts look nice but it looks like it would slide all over the place.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:17:24 »
tenting is highly suggested you just have to be creative though when you mod it to tent, the Kenesis V3 lifters are nice, you have 2 options with them, do some mod so that it looks like it is supposed to be there or just slap some dual lock hard velcro on the V3 and the ergodox and call it a day. of course im sure there is other creative way to achieve the tenting.

That's part of the point of the plastidip over the nuts, keep sliding to a minimum.
Any opinion as to long vs short kinesis stand? I'd like to be able to take it off easily since I want to keep it portable.

Offline Larken

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:23:22 »

That's part of the point of the plastidip over the nuts, keep sliding to a minimum.
Any opinion as to long vs short kinesis stand? I'd like to be able to take it off easily since I want to keep it portable.

Get the short ones. You'll have to do some sort of a hacksaw job anyway, but the resultant length would be just nice. I'll pm you a couple of pictures to give you a better idea.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline JulianFR

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 07:02:58 »
I don't really like this white and black Ergodox, it looks too much like an Oreo.  ;D
ErgoDox - Blank DSA caps - MX Clear sw (ergo-clear soon) - krytox/victorinox lub

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 15:58:32 »
I don't really like this white and black Ergodox, it looks too much like an Oreo.  ;D
This is a bad thing? Someone must have never had an oreo.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 16:59:19 »
An Oreo with two cream on the outside and biscuit on the inside would be nice :)

Might have to try that next time I get some :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:01:18 »
biscuits...... here in 'murica we call them cookies. :D ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:13:29 »
"Biscuit" actually means "twice cooked".

Found that out in high school when we were supposed to list words starting with "bi" that meant two, and some smart arse wrote "biscuit", and ended up getting praised by the teacher.

And there ends today's trivia lesson.

Back to topic please ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Potologue

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 20:05:47 »
These things look dope.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 19:34:23 »
wont let this thread die

changed up to massdrop/sp blanks and some sp polycarbs

damn blurry pic

still rocking ergo-whites

also my aluminium case is taking a beating, scratches all over it like these

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 20:56:58 »
Gotta go DSA for the verticals/thumb cluster brah!

Offline skryl

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 23:37:35 »
Had some spare Kinesis parts :D

Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Brown | Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Blue | SIIG Minitouch XM White | Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red | Ducky 1087 XM Green | Leopold FC200R MX Red | Apple M0116 Salmon Alps | Realforce 86U Topre

Offline Larken

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 23:54:15 »
Had some spare Kinesis parts :D

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

works better for the fullhand if you mount the lifters from the bottom instead (switch the left and right lifters). makes for better stability when you rest your hands. nice touch with the leather pads :D

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 00:20:44 »
Bringing this thread back to life, hoping to see more custom ErgoDox

Glod ErgoDox Update!
Ive been busy, Credits to MOZ! As Usual I spend my money on keyboard stuff and still haven't bought a good camera so my pictures don't really do my keyboards justice.

ErgoDox #1 - MX Reds (Lubricated)
- Case changed into Full Hand using MOZ's creation, an adapter
- Top and Bottom Layers are Matte-Surface black acrylic, No Fingerprints even with my greasy hands, i love it! and it looks great
- Kinesis Freestyle V3 Lifter to Tent ErgoDox
- Cherry thick POM key caps

Future Mods
- add Kinesis Advantage gel pads
- Key caps will be replaced with SA-profile commando
- black plastidip cap-nuts for added grip

ErgoDox #2 - Modified MX White (62g Korean Springs, Re-Lubricated)
- All Layers but center plate layer, which is aluminium, replaced with white arcylic
- Top and Bottom layers are matte-surface acrylic
- Caps Lock and Num Lock LEDs placed on the bottom of pcb, lights up through white acrylic
- Sanded and Polished my famous wood wrist rests which were getting dirty, dont have good pictures showing this though
- Cherry thick POM Key Caps

Future Mods
- I think it would look better with light colored or white key caps like raindrop or ccng, i just need to get blanks to "fill in the blanks"
- Modified Whites to be replaced with ergo clears
- Change LED colors
- white Plastidip cap-nuts for added grip
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 00:24:24 by Glod »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 06:59:46 »
Awesomeness as always Glod!! Thanks for sharing, have to keep reminding myself I do not need an ergodox :P

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 07:02:35 »
One of the Best I ever seen!  :thumb:

Offline elllit

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 10:30:57 »
wow... they both look really awesome!  :thumb:

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 10:42:51 »
Are there going to be any ways to get group buys for any of these beautiful cases?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:02:35 »
Are there going to be any ways to get group buys for any of these beautiful cases?

Keep calm and wait. I will have a GB once I have worked out some kinks and done with my current GB. What I do fear is the case buy would be stretched as I will be away for 10 weeks+ from late November to end of Jan, so in this phase I would most likely take orders and invoice, so I can get production rolling once my vacation ends, as I would be able to coordinate online but won't be able to get any production done.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:05:23 »

Keep calm and wait. I will have a GB once I have worked out some kinks and done with my current GB. What I do fear is the case buy would be stretched as I will be away for 10 weeks+ from late November to end of Jan, so in this phase I would most likely take orders and invoice, so I can get production rolling once my vacation ends, as I would be able to coordinate online but won't be able to get any production done.

Holy crap MOZ....who gets a 10 week vacation :o :))

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:06:26 »
It's a long story. I'm still in uni, so it's more like 7 weeks of vacation and 3 weeks of exams.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:57:59 »
i know i have this crazy wood dock for my ErgoDox but i think i am starting to like the full-hand ErgoDox design with V3 lifter better  :eek: maybe its because i don't like my modified white switches. this matte surface acrylic is freaking awesome.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:00:03 »
Glod, those look incredible...really nice work!! :)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:07:21 »
I agree the Matte Surface is actually quite nice.

I found smoked acrylic with matte surface, god acrylic. Pure god!

Offline tlem

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 20:33:20 »
Here is my 1 of 2 round 3 ergodoxes.

Additions:
. ergo clear mod
. TH keycaps for the 1x1 keys
. matte white vinyl stickers on the top and bottom (ebay)
. standoffs - 50mm for the bottom and 40mm for the top (ebay)
. mousepad underneath reduces noise

I would like to do the following in the future:
. buy/make custom usb and trrs cables
. get a full set of dcs/oem/cherry keys with legends - I did not like the uniform dsa keys that came with the kit

Offline Larken

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 21:21:46 »
Choice of keycaps looks remarkably like this:

Very nice :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:30:27 »

Additions:
. ergo clear mod

. get a full set of dcs/oem/cherry keys with legends - I did not like the uniform dsa keys that came with the kit

Show Image

Show Image

Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice first post :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 21:12:16 »

Additions:
. ergo clear mod

Show Image

Show Image

I like it. A lot.

Good work!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline wuqe

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 22:06:22 »
Like the bright (but not too bright) color scheme. Cool!

Offline Larken

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 01:42:56 »
Was done with my second ergodox a while ago, haven't had time for a proper picture until now.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 02:27:28 »
looking good, been debating a similar color scheme on my white one (formally aluminium), either RoW or raindrop BoW

Offline Larken

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 03:16:19 »
do a raindrop scheme, and post it! :D

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 20:43:18 »
ErgoDox #2 - Modified MX White (62g Korean Springs, Re-Lubricated)

How exactly did you go about this? I found that even the tiniest amount of lube could kill the click easily.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 03:23:55 »
The click sound isn't important, as long as the slider still moves. I have lubed vintage blues with 62g springs and they feel great but are nice and quiet.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 15:02:00 »
oh, i just put a dot of lube on the sides, im not even sure it did anything lol, there is still a click.

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:26:15 »
Finally finished constructing mine today. My keycaps have yet to arrive so I still can't really use it. I'm still trying to program the keyboard and I have no idea what additional function I could possibly add to this thing or how the lights work. Also, I want to order some of that vinyl sheet everyone has, I can't stand the little pieces of lint stuck between the acrylic sheets.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:00:13 »
Does anyone know where to get printed keycaps for the Ergodox? I can only find blanks, And i can't even order them on massdrop.

We need more specialized ergodox keycaps
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:05:26 by Air tree »

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:41:16 »
Got mine just last week and put it together the same day. Laser cut a sheet of bamboo to replace the top layer, and engraved two homing keys so I know where the home row is. I'm waiting for an order from Signature Plastics to arrive too, with some coloured keys.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:54:31 »
Looks slick  :thumb:

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:50:47 »
Mahogany ErgoDock (satin poly finish), Aluminum Top plate (x2*), rounded cap (acorn) nuts, stock cherry clears with hybrid DCS/DSA PBT caps.

*Funny story actually: MassDrop sent me two sets of classic aluminum plates, instead of 1 classic and 1 full hand. When I notified them, they told me to keep it and they'd send out the full hand plates. Then they actually sent me a complete full hand acrylic case set. When I told them about the mixup, they let me keep that and sent out the actual aluminum plates (should get them today).

I must say, MD's customer service is phenomenal (even if they screwed up my order twice).
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:53:16 by daerid »

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:28:18 »
Was done with my second ergodox a while ago, haven't had time for a proper picture until now.

Show Image

I love the red and white! Where did you find the white keys with reddish lettering?

Offline Larken

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 23:28:21 »
Mahogany ErgoDock (satin poly finish), Aluminum Top plate (x2*), rounded cap (acorn) nuts, stock cherry clears with hybrid DCS/DSA PBT caps.

Show Image

*Funny story actually: MassDrop sent me two sets of classic aluminum plates, instead of 1 classic and 1 full hand. When I notified them, they told me to keep it and they'd send out the full hand plates. Then they actually sent me a complete full hand acrylic case set. When I told them about the mixup, they let me keep that and sent out the actual aluminum plates (should get them today).

I must say, MD's customer service is phenomenal (even if they screwed up my order twice).

looks awesome, with the new top plates and the ergodock. kinda makes me regret not joining the buy for the new alu plates now.

Show Image

I love the red and white! Where did you find the white keys with reddish lettering?

thanks! its the alphakeys from klaxon, mixed with dsa mods I got seperately from SP.

where did you get the bamboo sheets cut? it looks much better than the birch I used. giving the bamboo a coat of varnish would give it a nice shine and bring out the grain better, if you haven't already done so.

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 12:09:41 »
thanks! its the alphakeys from klaxon, mixed with dsa mods I got seperately from SP.

where did you get the bamboo sheets cut? it looks much better than the birch I used. giving the bamboo a coat of varnish would give it a nice shine and bring out the grain better, if you haven't already done so.

Man, there are just too many great variations of keys and tops that I'd like to try!

I travel to Vancouver every couple of weeks and found the MakerLab folks there. I was hoping for a weathered, reclaimed look for the wood, so cedar was my first choice. I am thinking of staining the bamboo, for the weathered look. I'll post pics if it turns out okay  :))