Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 or Type-S??  (Read 23827 times)

Offline hluo87

HHKB Pro 2 or Type-S??
« on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 15:30:37 »
having hard time to decide which to get....
the pics in this post have all gone
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22500.0
any advice?   
did some one take apart both keyboards and found out what are the differences in hardware?just some o-rings to make the silent version?
thanks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: HHKB Pro 2 or Type-S??
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 15:34:09 »
any advice?   
did some one take apart both keyboards and found out what are the differences in hardware?just some o-rings to make the silent version?
thanks.

The REGULAR Topre switches are already "silent" on the Downstroke.. The upstroke still made some noise, when the plastic pieces clashed..

SO.... they put in these foam-y disks to dampen the upstroke...

That is the "SILENT" topre...

People have said that the mounted topre switches feels "BETTER" as in the TKL topre boards...

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se19e0

So, for the ultimate topre experience, I'd recommend the TKL over the HHKB...

IMHO, yes it's a compact board, and you can get away with a custom layer and all the command.. but.. WHY??? if your desk is SO small as to require such a keyboard... perhaps a larger desk...

ALSO, remember, topre IS rubber dome.... If you go in expecting something else, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Offline hluo87

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 15:49:30 »
any advice?   
thanks.

The REGULAR Topre switches are already "silent" on the Downstroke.. The upstroke still made some noise, when the plastic pieces clashed..

People have said that the mounted topre switches feels "BETTER" as in the TKL topre boards...

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se19e0

IMHO, yes it's a compact board, and you can get away with a custom layer and all the command.. but.. WHY??? if your desk is SO small as to require such a keyboard... perhaps a larger desk...

ALSO, remember, topre IS rubber dome.... If you go in expecting something else, you'll be sorely disappointed.

thanks for your thoughts....man, i would like to type a compact board though...
i just saw a thread talking about mod the pro2 to silent ...

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 18:02:42 »
any advice?   
thanks.

The regular HHKB Pro2 will be pretty quiet as is...more so than Cherry boards..even if they have O-rings....and the noise they do make is very satisfying...

Whether you want it to make even less noise is up to you....IMO, if it were only 50 dollars or something, that might be something to consider..but at 150 or so, it isn't like the HHKBP2 is loud so I don't feel like you're buying that much...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 18:20:13 »
any advice?   
thanks.

You can mod the board to silent, You will need to file 2 pipes end to a sharp edge, and a silicon foam sheet. one pipe for the center doughnut hole, and a bigger pipe for the outer hole...

Then you basically rubber hammer one end into the silicon sheet...  The pipe doesn't have to be LONG, in fact it should be no more than 5 inches for better control when hammering out rings.

the key thing is the sheet has to be FOAM-Y // squishy,

NOW, in my opinion, the EASier way out, is to use thin silicon rubber bands....  :)) exact same concept as the cherry mx mod, but you obviously need a larger diameter band for the switches...

Offline hluo87

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 20:04:42 »
any advice?   
thanks.

The regular HHKB Pro2 will be pretty quiet as is...more so than Cherry boards..even if they have O-rings....and the noise they do make is very satisfying...

Whether you want it to make even less noise is up to you....IMO, if it were only 50 dollars or something, that might be something to consider..but at 150 or so, it isn't like the HHKBP2 is loud so I don't feel like you're buying that much...

i agree
i guess i will pull the trigger on pro2~~lol

Offline hluo87

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 20:05:11 »
any advice?   
thanks.
thanks man, lets see how it goes~~~

You can mod the board to silent, You will need to file 2 pipes end to a sharp edge, and a silicon foam sheet. one pipe for the center doughnut hole, and a bigger pipe for the outer hole...

Then you basically rubber hammer one end into the silicon sheet...  The pipe doesn't have to be LONG, in fact it should be no more than 5 inches for better control when hammering out rings.

the key thing is the sheet has to be FOAM-Y // squishy,

NOW, in my opinion, the EASier way out, is to use thin silicon rubber bands....  :)) exact same concept as the cherry mx mod, but you obviously need a larger diameter band for the switches...

Offline phototristan

• https://www.youtube.com/phototristan
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 09:26:45 »
any advice?   
thanks.

i agree
i guess i will pull the trigger on pro2~~lol

I: don't think you will be disappointed:

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 09:31:22 »
Love my HHKB. But it definitely is louder than both my RFs

Offline Germiphene

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 11:05:43 »

HHKB > RF board, as my personal preference.  Both are quieter then a MX blue, but there still is some sound.  I personally like the sound  ;D.
HHKB pro | RF 87U | RF 87U uni-45g | CM QFR | Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MT2 | IBM model M | IBM SSK '87

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 11:33:27 »
If anyone reading this thread is thinking of getting an HHKB, I have one for sale... ;D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 11:41:01 »

People have also said that the HHKB feels "BETTER" than the TKL boards.

And Topre feels nothing like a standard rubber dome. WTF is with your rabid anti-Topre crusade? Did a Topre kill your favorite dog or something? I just don't get it.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 11:47:02 »
Topre bashing is one of tp4's hobbies.  Best to just ignore.

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

HHKB Pro 2 or Type-S??
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 23:30:13 »
Topre bashing is one of tp4's hobbies.  Best to just ignore.

Haha was about say something like that. I love my HHKB. Really get whichever you can afford. If you lusted after it a long time ago you should do yourself a favor and just get it. Wish I hadn't wasted time on blues browns and reds. Sold them all after I got mine. If you do t have clubbed hands and can type you will adjust quickly.

Offline iri

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 00:14:05 »
topre bashing, topre bashing... topres ARE rubber domes. they just aren't membranes.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 14:11:45 »
Nobody denied that.  The fact remains that tp4tissue likes to rile people up in Topre threads.

Offline hluo87

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 15:08:21 »
Nobody denied that.  The fact remains that tp4tissue likes to rile people up in Topre threads.
oops that is interesting...lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 15:37:01 »
B****eeze plzz...

Topre = rubber dome....   

You can discuss how you "feel" about that all you want.. it's a fact you cannot change...

I did NOT say there's anything wrong with rubber domes.. I quite like my old rubber dome on my compaq branded quiet-keys.

I was only disappointed in the Topre I bought before, because I was convinced by the "rest of you" that there was something "magically" greater than standard rubber dome..

I was met with the very "real" rubber dome experience that was admittedly more refined in execution (engineering), but ultimately not to the "DEGREE" of your fanboi claims....

As a good comparison..

I felt the same way when I got an iphone 5... Everyone was goin''' this thing is awesome... and I'm like... okay... drive to store.. buy...

This is SO NOT as awesome as you guys claimed....  >:D