Author Topic: GeekHackWiki  (Read 8259 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
GeekHackWiki
« on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:24:44 »
*A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED!*

(in your menubar ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
Re: GeekHackWiki
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:28:21 »
*Searches for content.... is disappointed*

:(

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: GeekHackWiki
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:32:32 »
*Searches for content.... is disappointed*

:(

O really
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:35:22 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:37:59 »
I'm glad to see mediawiki, but really, do we need another one? Why can't we work on the Deskthority wiki? I understand that we have a lot of content but it would make more sense to focus the recontstruction effort on adding to the wiki that is still standing rather than faction off.

I really can't see a good reason for recreating the GH wiki other than an excuse to say we have everything, rather than just building up the DT wiki.

That said, if we'd rather just keep going along with the factionism, I can help populate the wiki if needed (working on formatting adaptations etc). This just seems like a good time to discuss a team effort, before the new GH wiki gets too far off the ground.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:41:10 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 21:05:20 »

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 13:44:56 »
I started working on the DT wiki in my short time there but stopped after a day or two due to all the GHate that was going on.  The people who make regular changes to the DT wiki were actually nice and inclusive but overall my experience at the DT forum was not friendly.  I don't see a reason to contribute to a community that is not welcoming to me.

I pitched the idea of a joint-forum-wiki a while ago when mother theresa made the poll in the before time.  I would love to see every keyboard forum everywhere working on a single wiki with multiple languages.  DT Wiki is not this wiki.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 16:01:40 »
we need a neutral third state :P.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 16:30:43 »
As I have mentioned before . . .

I started geekhack because there was no community like it available.  I was doing research for a new keyboard purchase and quickly became irritated that there was no community available for me to discuss such things with like-minded individuals. 

There have been other communities that have spun off from GH, for various reasons.  AFAIK, deskthority is the only one that remains with any significant following.  I LOVE to see additional keyboard communities succeed!  It validates our existence and gives folks options that simply didn't exist 5 years ago.

You won't see any DT hate posted here by me (and I have instructed the moderators to not allow such unproductive nonsense to run rampent).  Unfortunately, I have refrained from visiting and participating at DT because there IS a lot of vile commentary directed at GH (and at me personally) over there. 

The climate simply does not exist for a shared project to be successful.   

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 17:44:28 »
I pitched the idea of a joint-forum-wiki a while ago when mother theresa made the poll in the before time.  I would love to see every keyboard forum everywhere working on a single wiki with multiple languages.  DT Wiki is not this wiki.
There was a lot of good info in the old Geekhack Wiki, and the DT Wiki seems to be shaping up quite well.
I have had great use of the old Geekhack Wiki that was available before the site was down.
I think that starting a new Geekhack Wiki from scratch seems like too much duplication of effort. Personally I have contributed a bit to the DT wiki, and I am not really motivated to write the same articles all over again.
I would like to see either Wiki moving off from its forum to be administered by people who are neither DT or GH admins. The very best would be if there was a new Wiki, and the admins of both DT and GH allowed the editors of the new wiki full access to copy content from their respective wikis.

The community deserves a good wiki without the politics.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 03:23:02 by Findecanor »

Offline dsjbirch

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 20:47:40 »

This, and can we please let Ripster back, he was quite good at wikis. I prefer refering to them, never really got into adding to them.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 07:52:19 »
Ripster's wikis had decent content but were the worst designed things ever.

I do NOT like scrolling that much.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: GeekHackWiki
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:15:16 »

Me too

MOAR BARS
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 August 2012, 22:19:45 »
Ripster's wikis had decent content but were the worst designed things ever.

I'm trying to get some more content up an the wiki. Then there'll be formatting. I don't really mind scrolling, but I didn't like how unprofessional the tone was. Hopefully, I can get some starter content up, and it'll we revised and made better as the wiki process continues.

Offline JBert

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 04:12:18 »
I just noticed that somebody posted on the Talk: page which is attached the main page. Shouldn't those require more strict access rules?

Also, you might want to clarify how to sign up or log in.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

fartq

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 08:51:35 »
thanks for lettign us know jbert. working on it..

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 21:02:21 »
Flame me if you will <braces himself> but I really like Ripsters wiki's including content and format.  I joined GH last year after lurking in the wikis first.  Wiki's are how I found this site in a google search and started this expensive hobby.  Lots of pictures and tongue in cheek presentation kept me reading them.  I am not a fan of the wiki stuff on DH as it is drier.  This is a hobby for me and not research for my thesis.

I have been holding out on asking this - but heck - I need to have 60 posts to place a WTB in the Classified forum anyway so here you go  ;D

Is the old content incompatible with the new forum or is there another reason I do not see it? 
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline linkz

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 01:09:01 »
There was a lot of good info in the old Geekhack Wiki, and the DT Wiki seems to be shaping up quite well.
I have had great use of the old Geekhack Wiki that was available before the site was down.
I think that starting a new Geekhack Wiki from scratch seems like too much duplication of effort. Personally I have contributed a bit to the DT wiki, and I am not really motivated to write the same articles all over again.
I would like to see either Wiki moving off from its forum to be administered by people who are neither DT or GH admins. The very best would be if there was a new Wiki, and the admins of both DT and GH allowed the editors of the new wiki full access to copy content from their respective wikis.

The community deserves a good wiki without the politics.

Agreed, a combined wiki would be better.