Author Topic: How many snapped rivets is too many snapped rivets for a 1989 Model M?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline apastuszak

I bought a 1989 Model M off of eBay 2 weeks ago for $50.  It arrived in the mail and I disassembled it and cleaned it out.  I had only ONE snapped rivet in it.  But in the process of cleaning it, two more snapped.  3 snapped rivets on a 1989 keyboard, I thought, was a miracle.

My wife wanted a Model M and the seller had more available, and I, once again, made a $50 offer, and the keyboard arrived today.

However, unlike the previous keyboard, this one was not in nearly as good shape.  I found 14 rivet backs in the case and the top right post the keyboard assembly sits inside was snapped off and loose inside the case.  Two of the snapped rivet holes on the metal plate are rusted.

The seller offered a 30 day return policy and said the keyboard was tested/working.

And when I got it, I tested it and all the keys were indeed working.

So, how bad is 14 rivet backs loose in the case?  Am I doomed to have failure soon?  The busted post I can epoxy back on with some JB Weld, which I am going to do in a minute.

If I do get the seller to take the keyboard, I have to ship it myself, and that will cost me another $20 out of pocket.

I could bolt/screw mod it, but I have NO idea how to even begin to do that.  If there is someone that does that professionally, I would prefer to spend the shipping cost to send it there, rather than risk another messed up keyboard coming back from this eBay seller.  I don't blame the seller.  He got a bunch of keyboards, tested them, and, as far as he knew, they worked.  I didn't expect him to disassemble them and check for snapped rivets and other signs of internal damage.  Not at a $50 price point.

So, the question is, do I keep it or return it?  Is 14 way too many spanned rivets for a 1989 Model M Keyboard?

Any and all thoughts on the matter appreciated.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
bolt mod is just as it sounds,  using bolts instead of rivets..

It involves cutting all the rivets out or drilling them out..

Then bolting , then depending on the length of the bolt, you may have to cut the bolts.

Offline apastuszak

I understand how bolt modding works.  I've just never done it.  And I would prefer not to experiment on something I just bought that has a return window.  The rust makes me think that water managed to get inside the keyboard somehow, which kind of concerns me.

And, as I was wiping it down with some alcohol, another rivet snapped, bringing the total up to 15.

The question is, is it worth bolt/screw modding this thing, or should I return it?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
It is really a question of how it feels. If the broken ones are evenly dispersed, it may not make much difference.

On the other hand, if several adjacent ones are broken then a "soft spot" will develop.

A bolt mod is not bad for someone who is relatively handy and owns basic hand tools, and a screw repair is even easier. So I would be inclined to keep it, but that's just me.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline apastuszak

I have parts drying overnight.  The JB Weld takes overnight to completely cure.  So I will re-assemble in the morning and how the keys work.

Offline apastuszak

Pic of the underside: